Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

2K Sports has released some details on patch #2 for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"The patch is almost ready for submission as the final tweaks are being made. From there, it must go through the proper approvals which puts it a minimum of two weeks out. But I did want to share JUST A FEW (read NOT ALL) of the things it will address:

AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
1st baseman stepping off bag has been tweaked
Issues with the pitch overlay hud
Fixed pickoffs, especially to 2nd base
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 stlstudios189 @ 03/20/09 07:48 AM
The game will be an easy 8.5-9 for me if all these work properly.

# 2 crazylegs @ 03/20/09 09:02 AM
I'm impressed that they are getting this much done with a patch. And Ron said that this list is only SOME of the fixes, so there's still hope for a couple more tweaks.

Personally, I haven't run into the glitches as often as others, but I'm pretty jazzed that this patch will mean I WON'T run into them.

Awesome update.

# 3 jmillhimes @ 03/20/09 09:06 AM
Im holding out hope that there is some kind of fix to this game. As mentioned, this game would be a 9.0 if everything worked. Ive been seeing more and more people complaining about freezes in franchise mode...NOT GOOD

# 4 TahJay561 @ 03/20/09 09:30 AM
How can a game be rated a 9 when legit gamers won't even buy the game?

# 5 boomhauertjs @ 03/20/09 09:31 AM
Hope all of those things are patched. I'm #2 in line for the game on Goozex, so hopefully I'll be getting it by Opening Day.

# 6 Trevytrev11 @ 03/20/09 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahJay561
How can a game be rated a 9 when legit gamers won't even buy the game?
Who are these "legit gamers" and what makes them legit?

I'm not going to argue whether the game is a 6, 7, 8 or 9, but someones decision to purchase a game probably isn't going to impact anothers view of that game.

Many of the reasons this game was scored so badly and people refused to buy initially was mostly because of these glaring issues. If they are fixed, which would obviously improve the game, obviously scores would go up (actual scores may not change as many do not re-review games), but the consensus of the game would change and maybe these "legit gamers" would then purchase the game since it is now improved.

Personally, I hope the reviews do not change (at least the published ones). The way I see it is if scores and reviews are important to the development team, then this should be a lesson learned that their initial product needs to be of higher quality and that a patch should only be necesssary for minor tweaks and updates and not to "finish" an incomplete game.

# 7 tmac55 @ 03/20/09 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11

I'm not going to argue whether the game is a 6, 7, 8 or 9, but someones decision to purchase a game probably isn't going to impact anothers view of that game.

Many of the reasons this game was scored so badly and people refused to buy initially was mostly because of these glaring issues. If they are fixed, which would obviously improve the game, obviously scores would go up (actual scores may not change as many do not re-review games), but the consensus of the game would change and maybe these "legit gamers" would then purchase the game since it is now improved.

Personally, I hope the reviews do not change (at least the published ones). The way I see it is if scores and reviews are important to the development team, then this should be a lesson learned that their initial product needs to be of higher quality and that a patch should only be necesssary for minor tweaks and updates and not to "finish" an incomplete game.
Well said man!!! If they fix the game in these regards, it will be a solid experience. Very happy to see the outfield fixed. Hope it means I can see more nice snags at the wall by the CPU etc.

# 8 TahJay561 @ 03/20/09 09:57 AM
Quote:

Legit gamer, like myself, is one who plays a quality sports title. One who doesn't hope for the best, spend my $60 and then flush my standards down the toilet in hopes of patches to "fix" this possible 9 rated game.

If a game has been released and is in need of two patches within it's first two weeks, there IS NO WAY it can ever reach a rating above 7. F- that. I won't buy the game, cuz at the end of the day 2k doesn't measure their success by the quality of the game they put out, but the numbers it moved. If I sell myself short and support a ****ty game, like folks here are doing, then I can't complain when they put this crap out next year, like they've been doing so with EVERY title.

# 9 TahJay561 @ 03/20/09 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac55
Well said man!!! If they fix the game in these regards, it will be a solid experience. Very happy to see the outfield fixed. Hope it means I can see more nice snags at the wall by the CPU etc.
Hope.

So much hope. That's what 2k leaves people with.

# 10 boomhauertjs @ 03/20/09 10:01 AM
Quote:
Legit gamer, like myself, is one who plays a quality sports title.

# 11 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/20/09 10:06 AM

# 12 tmac55 @ 03/20/09 10:11 AM
Quote:
Hope.

So much hope. That's what 2k leaves people with.
Can you stop trolling in this thread and crawl back under your bridge... Honestly, if they patch this right now, the game will be solid and will not need a patch for a while.

If every legit gamer was like you and was so closed minded, it's a wonder any sports company sells games period. Video games are not real life and hence will never be perfect. To each their own but your little rant proves nothing about you being a legit gamer. I think you have a long way to go before you come into that category. Gamers appreciate a company's efforts and they acknowledge when a company makes the effort to listen to their community. For a first year effort from VC, these patches will go a long way.

# 13 Mercury112491 @ 03/20/09 10:12 AM
first off Joe...that is the scariest smiley I have ever seen. Seriously that thing is "legit" scary.

To the other "Legit" one...

Shut Up

# 14 brendanrfoley @ 03/20/09 10:35 AM
I'm thrilled with the patch fixes.

I thought MLB 2K8 was a C or C-. Right now, I give MLB 2K9 a B or B-. That's already a letter grade improvement. If everything in the patch works, as advertised, I'd be willing to give it a B or B+.

# 15 Santino @ 03/20/09 10:46 AM
2 weeks.

# 16 Trevytrev11 @ 03/20/09 10:59 AM
Quote:
Legit gamer, like myself, is one who plays a quality sports title. One who doesn't hope for the best, spend my $60 and then flush my standards down the toilet in hopes of patches to "fix" this possible 9 rated game.
Self proclaimed "Legit Gamer"...gotta love it. I never considered whether my gaming standards made be a legitimate or unligitimate gamer...I'll have to give this some thought.

Quote:
I won't buy the game, cuz at the end of the day 2k doesn't measure their success by the quality of the game they put out, but the numbers it moved.
To a point, this is how all publicly held companies view their games, but that is a whole different topic...

Well there has to be some concern over quality as they are fixing the game...right? Otherwise, why bother? Take the money and run. I'm sure if it was up to them, they would have taken another month to release the game, but they had a concrete release date per the MLB that they obviously couldn't fully meet, so they did the next best thing and made it up to everyone by owning up (not publicly per se, but by their actions) to their mistakes and fixing the game within hopefully less than a month of release and hopefully before opening day. Not the ideal situation obviously, but definitely making the best of a bad one.

# 17 brendanrfoley @ 03/20/09 10:59 AM
Two weeks will put its release pretty much a year to the day of MLB 2K8's patch. It's going to feel like a long wait, though!

# 18 brendanrfoley @ 03/20/09 11:04 AM
Quote:
I'm sure if it was up to them, they would have taken another month to release the game, but they had a concrete release date per the MLB that they obviously couldn't fully meet, so they did the next best thing and made it up to everyone by owning up (not publicly per se, but by their actions) to their mistakes and fixing the game within hopefully less than a month of release and hopefully before opening day. Not the ideal situation obviously, but definitely making the best of a bad one.
This is a great post. Visual Concepts had a release date it was mandated to hit. In some respects, it didn't have a choice but to release 2K9 with a handful of bugs.

# 19 stealyerface @ 03/20/09 11:20 AM
So basically, this game is the illegitimate offspring of a company that struggles to be legit.

I guess they really are too legit to quit.

By the way, those asterisks are still going to get you a notification. Under the new rules, those are still legitimate swear words. Might as well type the whole word and make it legit.

syf

# 20 fistofrage @ 03/20/09 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
This is a great post. Visual Concepts had a release date it was mandated to hit. In some respects, it didn't have a choice but to release 2K9 with a handful of bugs.
Yes, I am sure there are deadlines. I just wish sports games came out every 2 years with a roster update and small patch every year for $20. That way they would have time to iron this stuff out.

However, I also feel that the programmers and QC may not always be in tune with what people want. ANd it takes public outcry for them to change or patch things. This is not limited to 2k. So even a 2 year cycle may not produce a game that hard core players want.

I would love to see statistics on the sales of the show and how many people bought a Ps3 just for the show. I haven't played the game, but everyone says it is the most sim sports game out there. If its truly selling a ton of copies and selling the PS3 system as well, it would seem like the other sports titles would follow suit and cater to the sim player.

The main issue I will have with 2k baseball post patch if everything holds true is that pitching doesn't really take attributes into effect as far as throwing balls and strikes. Almost every pitcher can have pinpoint accuracy even at the hardest settings with difficulty maxed. All they would need to do is have arcade button on/off much like auto FT shooting in Coolege Hoops. You can either shoot with timing of release or you can make it so making a ft depends on the players attributes. If they did that the game may be a 9 plus if they deliver on everything else.

« Previous1234567Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.