Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

2K Sports has released some details on patch #2 for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"The patch is almost ready for submission as the final tweaks are being made. From there, it must go through the proper approvals which puts it a minimum of two weeks out. But I did want to share JUST A FEW (read NOT ALL) of the things it will address:

AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
1st baseman stepping off bag has been tweaked
Issues with the pitch overlay hud
Fixed pickoffs, especially to 2nd base
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SFGiantsPBA @ 03/20/09 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac55
Can you stop trolling in this thread and crawl back under your bridge... Honestly, if they patch this right now, the game will be solid and will not need a patch for a while.

If every legit gamer was like you and was so closed minded, it's a wonder any sports company sells games period. Video games are not real life and hence will never be perfect. To each their own but your little rant proves nothing about you being a legit gamer. I think you have a long way to go before you come into that category. Gamers appreciate a company's efforts and they acknowledge when a company makes the effort to listen to their community. For a first year effort from VC, these patches will go a long way.
A legit gamer takes what he has and works with it with sliders and such!

# 22 BigL @ 03/20/09 12:29 PM
I just coronated myself king of legit gamers

# 23 notasenator @ 03/20/09 01:01 PM
I don't know who my father is, can I still play good sports games?

# 24 brendanrfoley @ 03/20/09 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I would love to see statistics on the sales of The Show and how many people bought a PS3 just for The Show... If its truly selling a ton of copies and selling the PS3 system as well, it would seem like the other sports titles would follow suit and cater to the sim player.
I agree with everything you've said, except this. Sports games (especially baseball) games are not system sellers. I want games that cater to sim players too, but I think it takes two things: thoughtful developers and a gaming community (like us) willing to give constructive feedback and cry out (within reason) when wronged.

# 25 fistofrage @ 03/20/09 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
I agree with everything you've said, except this. Sports games (especially baseball) games are not system sellers. I want games that cater to sim players too, but I think it takes two things: thoughtful developers and a gaming community (like us) willing to give constructive feedback and cry out (within reason) when wronged.

I wouldn't think it would either, but if you had a 360 why else would you buy a PS3(yes I know blu-ray but I don't think thats a huge sell if you already have a system). Gaming wise, the show and maybe Drake are the only thing I would really want a PS3 for. For cross platform games, I prefer the Xbox with Xbox live.

Thats why I wanted to see the statistics. Looks like they are putting alot of advertising into the Show as well. I don't know what the numbers are, but I know of 5+ people who have bought the PS3 and stated The Show as the reason. Just would like to see the statistics. Have 10,000 PS3's been sold because of the show? More, Less?

# 26 brendanrfoley @ 03/20/09 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I wouldn't think it would either, but if you had a 360 why else would you buy a PS3?
That's a pretty terrific point, right there.

Anyway (back on topic), I hope we learn more patch details this afternoon. If they want it out in two weeks, they have to get it to Sony and Microsoft soon.

# 27 trick02 @ 03/20/09 01:27 PM
To me all that matters is where video games are going. Compare 09 where it is today to 08 and u have a better game. Compare it to 08 after the patch and we could be looking at something close to the show. To me ratings mean nothing half of them are done by people who have never played a sports game before. You can tell by reaing there articles instead of just looking at there score.

# 28 jeffy777 @ 03/20/09 01:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. I was quite disappointed with all the bugs/flaws and have stopped playing it, but if they really do fix all this stuff (and possibly more), then I'm going to be finally able to enjoy this game

# 29 Spanky @ 03/20/09 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench

from Ron at 2k forum
What is pitch overlay hud?
Also, anyone know what he means by roster issues as it pertains to subbing pitchers and bench?

# 30 pdawg17 @ 03/20/09 01:59 PM
The list looks great but until I see that these problems are fixed to my liking I can't get too excited...it's good to see they are trying though...

And he said the patch is almost done but needs 2 weeks of approval...what about the PC patch? No approval needed for that, right?

# 31 jeffy777 @ 03/20/09 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
When is this patch coming?
At least another 2 weeks, according to Ron at 2K.

# 32 jeffy777 @ 03/20/09 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
What is pitch overlay hud?
I think that's referring to the overlay where you can see the pitch types (and you expand it with the Left Bumper). I'm not sure what they are changing with it.

# 33 rudyjuly2 @ 03/20/09 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
This is a great post. Visual Concepts had a release date it was mandated to hit. In some respects, it didn't have a choice but to release 2K9 with a handful of bugs.
I don't think that's true. MLB mandates the earliest a game can be released (March 1st) but I don't think they force companies to release the game right away. Profits do.

# 34 NINJAK2 @ 03/20/09 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahJay561
Legit gamer, like myself, is one who plays a quality sports title. One who doesn't hope for the best, spend my $60 and then flush my standards down the toilet in hopes of patches to "fix" this possible 9 rated game.

If a game has been released and is in need of two patches within it's first two weeks, there IS NO WAY it can ever reach a rating above 7. F- that. I won't buy the game, cuz at the end of the day 2k doesn't measure their success by the quality of the game they put out, but the numbers it moved. If I sell myself short and support a ****ty game, like folks here are doing, then I can't complain when they put this crap out next year, like they've been doing so with EVERY title.
You may not know this tay............but every game company thinks like that except for maybe Blizzard and Valve.

# 35 rudyjuly2 @ 03/20/09 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mallow
What's interesting--and perhaps disturbing is the better word--is the question of play testing video games these days. Now I'm enjoying 2K9 a LOT, but I can think of four games in the past 12 months (Head Coach, NCAA 2009, MLB Front Office Manager, and now 2K9) that hit some obvious snags either right before launch (i.e. reviewers/priviledged editors of sports gaming web sites) or immediately thereafter (the public).

These snags were rather upfront and apparent even to non-legit gamers. So I guess my question is, what is the state of play testing these games at the major publishing houses?
The patch era has turned the consumer into free beta testers and everyone is guilty of it including the Show. I am surprised by how blatant some errors get by though.

# 36 rudyjuly2 @ 03/20/09 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
There is 2 sides of the patch era though. One is, they could be lazy and just patch it in, or it could be looked at as, well at least we have that option now. I remember playing Bases Loaded back on the nintendo and there was a specific pitch that would allow you to throw a no hitter and strike out every single AI batter because the AI couldnt hit the ball.
I generally agree. I'll take patches over not getting them. But I do think that developers get lazy knowing that if a bug pops up they can just patch it.

# 37 fistofrage @ 03/20/09 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
There is 2 sides of the patch era though. One is, they could be lazy and just patch it in, or it could be looked at as, well at least we have that option now. I remember playing Bases Loaded back on the nintendo and there was a specific pitch that would allow you to throw a no hitter and strike out every single AI batter because the AI couldnt hit the ball.
Having the ability to patch is great, no denying that. Problem is companies are using patches as a crutch because they aren't doing their due diligence on the front end to make sure that the product is complete and working to the best of its ability.

Its no secret that games released on PC over the last few years have always come out in need of fixing, but they had the patch to fall back on.

Now Console mfg'ers are getting in on that bandwagon. I for one am starting to think its ridiculous that I have to pay these companies to be a beta tester. NCAA football was totally broken before the patch because sliders didn't work. I could have saved myself weeks of frustration and a few $'s had I just waited to buy til the patch came out.

With the turn in the economy for the worse, I think you'll see many gamers wait to buy games until the price is reduced. Why wouldn't you? Almost all PC games and console sports games are broken until patches come out months after their release. You usually end up saving $ and frustration by waiting.

# 38 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/20/09 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals

Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench

from Ron at 2k forum
This is what I've been wanting.

# 39 SoxFan01605 @ 03/20/09 03:52 PM
Just wanted to point out (mainly for those reading earlier in the thread people saying it would be ready in two weeks) that Ron said a MINIMUM of two weeks.

It could be 3 weeks (or even more if trouble is found). Just saying don't get your hopes up and come back here flipping out if by the end of week 2, you are still patch-less.

# 40 Smallberries @ 03/20/09 04:13 PM
cool news!

I've learned my lessen with 2k games, and that is to NEVER again buy at launch. Wait a month or two for the patch(es), and you find the quality improves tremendously. AND you can also pick the game up at a discounted (used) price. Win win for me. Sucks for 2k (if enough people would adopt that strategy/attitude), but maybe it would make them think twice before putting out CRAP in a box.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.