Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

2K Sports has released some details on patch #2 for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
"The patch is almost ready for submission as the final tweaks are being made. From there, it must go through the proper approvals which puts it a minimum of two weeks out. But I did want to share JUST A FEW (read NOT ALL) of the things it will address:

AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
1st baseman stepping off bag has been tweaked
Issues with the pitch overlay hud
Fixed pickoffs, especially to 2nd base
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 StormJH1 @ 03/25/09 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1234
Does anyone know if the animations will be cleaned up with this patch? I would think so. Its funny everytime they cut to the pitcher or he throws it to a base and the ball gets thrown back to the pitcher, he always walks off and around the mound..lol thats needs to be cleaned up amongst other things you guys already know Also, players animations that slides in to thier postions like they are walking on water needs to be fixed.
Haha, probably not. Things like that do take you "out of the experience", but I think you and I would agree that if you have issues that disturb the fundamentals of gameplay, those SHOULD take precedence over other flaws, which may be "ugly", but don't have much of a substantive impact on the baseball experience. Of course, there are other considerations, such as how easy a problem is to fix, or "what we know how to fix" that are going to come into play as well.

I really think that if this game had shipped with out the 2 or 3 key gameplay issues (let's say: OF flyballs, base tagging, and aggressive hitting AI), then you would not have seen the constant flaming about how this game and The Show are not even close to being in the same league. The Show would still clearly be a superior and more polished title, but a 360 owner would've been happy enough with 2k9 that something like seeing "Top Fielder in 216" on the screen wouldn't ruin the experience.

# 102 FenwayMac @ 03/25/09 12:25 PM
quick question.

In regards to people talking about adjusting AI Aggression, are you talking about the computer being more willing to swing at pitches outside the strike zone?

# 103 bronxct1 @ 03/25/09 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
quick question.

In regards to people talking about adjusting AI Aggression, are you talking about the computer being more willing to swing at pitches outside the strike zone?
No they are talking about computer not taking strikes and swinging at pretty much every pitch

# 104 rjsuperfly66 @ 03/25/09 04:14 PM
I've officially shelved pre-patch MLB 2k9 for College Hoops 2k8. Choops 2k8 was one of the few games 2k got right. Too bad they shelved that one because they lost too much money on Prizefighter and All-Pro Football.

But I agree, MLB could be solid with a good patch. I was playin yesterday with my roommate, and 3 times I called home runs on him with a few men on base. When he asked how I did it, I just said I held up on the left stick and made solid contact. I went 3/3 calling home runs, it shouldnt be that easy. If they make the game harder, and fix the glitches, this game could compete with da Show.

# 105 JoshCA916 @ 03/25/09 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
I've officially shelved pre-patch MLB 2k9 for College Hoops 2k8. Choops 2k8 was one of the few games 2k got right. Too bad they shelved that one because they lost too much money on Prizefighter and All-Pro Football.

But I agree, MLB could be solid with a good patch. I was playin yesterday with my roommate, and 3 times I called home runs on him with a few men on base. When he asked how I did it, I just said I held up on the left stick and made solid contact. I went 3/3 calling home runs, it shouldnt be that easy. If they make the game harder, and fix the glitches, this game could compete with da Show.
they do make it harder, either change to zone hitting or change the difficulty, or what seems to be the best fix, put the power slider down so you won't hit HR's when you want to. Kind of easy if you think about it but more people are looking to bash a game then make it worth playing for themselves, i mean if you already spent the $65 on the game you might want to make it a little more challenging to yourself, instead of complaining about it, but hey thats just me. not pointing you out personally just read alot of these posts

# 106 rjsuperfly66 @ 03/25/09 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCA916
they do make it harder, either change to zone hitting or change the difficulty, or what seems to be the best fix, put the power slider down so you won't hit HR's when you want to. Kind of easy if you think about it but more people are looking to bash a game then make it worth playing for themselves, i mean if you already spent the $65 on the game you might want to make it a little more challenging to yourself, instead of complaining about it, but hey thats just me. not pointing you out personally just read alot of these posts
I have tweaked power and stuff. But thats not a video game, playing on the hardest difficulty, and being told you need to fix the settings to make the game more harder and enjoyable. Id prefer rather letting the game depreciate in the box than spend hours on end trying to find settings for me. Not only that but I still have to deal with glitches, no no no not worth it.

# 107 jeffy777 @ 03/25/09 10:52 PM
One of the mods at 2K had this to say about the patch and outfielders:

"I do know that they plan to lock the fielders in place when fielding a fly ball. Most of the outfielder problems are caused by still adjusting when you're over the circle, that will be rectified by locking the fielder in place when they come to the circle.'
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthrea...58#post2334258

# 108 SoxFan01605 @ 03/25/09 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
One of the mods at 2K had this to say about the patch and outfielders:

"I do know that they plan to lock the fielders in place when fielding a fly ball. Most of the outfielder problems are caused by still adjusting when you're over the circle, that will be rectified by locking the fielder in place when they come to the circle.'
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthrea...58#post2334258
Uggh...that's hardly addressing the issue. Instead of wasting time on that, why not focus on something more pressing that a user can't adjust for themselves?Meaning address the poor controls/animation transition that might be leading to it. I mean, as a user I generally don't have an issue because I realized I can let it automate to a degree and the catch is made.

On a rare occassion though, the guy is there and it's like the ball doesn't recognize him. How would locking the fielder fix that. I'd hate to see the issues it could cause if the fielder doesn't "unlock" in time to recover from those other (albeit rare) quirks.

I guess it would help with the CPU issue though. I just hate using avoidance methods to "fix" issues, which is what this seems like. We'll see, I guess.

# 109 jeffy777 @ 03/25/09 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Uggh...that's hardly addressing the issue. Instead of wasting time on that, why not focus on something more pressing that a user can't adjust for themselves?Meaning address the poor controls/animation transition that might be leading to it. I mean, as a user I generally don't have an issue because I realized I can let it automate to a degree and the catch is made.

On a rare occassion though, the guy is there and it's like the ball doesn't recognize him. How would locking the fielder fix that. I'd hate to see the issues it could cause if the fielder doesn't "unlock" in time to recover from those other (albeit rare) quirks.

I guess it would help with the CPU issue though. I just hate using avoidance methods to "fix" issues, which is what this seems like. We'll see, I guess.
Maybe they are planning to do both: lock the fielder in place, plus fix the control/animation outfielder prob at the same time. My initial reaction was the same as yours, but I'm trying to remain optimistic, though it's not always easy. Like you said, we'll see.

# 110 SoxFan01605 @ 03/26/09 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Maybe they are planning to do both: lock the fielder in place, plus fix the control/animation outfielder prob at the same time. My initial reaction was the same as yours, but I'm trying to remain optimistic, though it's not always easy. Like you said, we'll see.
Yeah...you could be right. Just have to find out once we actually see it in action. I've personally given up on the optimism though. It was starting to feel like false hope. Indifference (which was may primary feeling before release) is working much better for me.

# 111 gilbostank @ 03/26/09 09:55 AM
I have to agree heh. While i'm a 2k fanboy as much as any the show is not a worse game. I like it but it's not my style. After playing a few games i find that it truely is for the sim crowd.yea you use mostly buttons but how many options do you really have.

# 112 Skyboxer @ 03/26/09 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byobd4
mlb 2k9 is a good game with bugs mlb the show 09 is nothing but a button pushing basball game year after year
It's (The Show) the best baseball game ever made (Sports game for that matter) and I've played them all. I love baseball and despite what I said earlier about getting rid of it, I still have 2K9 in hopes they fix the issues. I can't see any baseball fan having that kind of attitude towards the Show, period.
Don't have it or can't play it fine.. but to say it's nothing more than a buttom pushing game is rediculous when it delivers the goods.

I'd much rather have that and realistic gameplay and atmosphere than a game that screams "Video Game Here" with all the pop up graphics. However that does appeal to some gamers and that's fine. No reason to bash one because you like another.
It is a fun game (2K9) though and that's why I'm hoping it gets polished up.

# 113 JHedges2 @ 03/26/09 04:14 PM
Any recent update(s) on this infamous, patch!?!?!?!

Thanks.

# 114 MasterX1918 @ 03/26/09 04:24 PM
yeah whens this thing coming out

# 115 brendanrfoley @ 03/26/09 04:55 PM
Guys, just read the thread. The patch is likely a week to two weeks away.

# 116 JHedges2 @ 03/26/09 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Guys, just read the thread. The patch is likely a week to two weeks away.
The thread is 14 pages long lol, no thanks...

Thanks for the update.

# 117 MLB @ 03/26/09 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byobd4
mlb 2k9 is a good game with bugs mlb the show 09 is nothing but a button pushing basball game year after year
What a f'in joke. That's hilarious. You push buttons to play MLB 2K9 too. You act like MLB 2K9 comes with a sensor bat, glove, and ball. Even if it did, it'd still take a back seat to The Show.

# 118 Ferrari997 @ 03/26/09 07:03 PM
I thought the patch would be out by opening day. And since I think patches usually come out on Tuesdays, I am hoping for next week Tuesday since next week is opening day

# 119 jeffy777 @ 03/26/09 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari997
since next week is opening day
No it's not man. Opening Day isn't until April 5th (the 6th for most teams), and the 6th is two Monday's away.

# 120 Ferrari997 @ 03/27/09 01:13 AM
Oh my bad, I guess we'll have to probably wait 2 weeks then

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.