Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers franchise mode improvements.

Quote:
"This week I wanted to give you an update on what we’re addressing in franchise mode this year. We’re probably going to have a few blogs about franchise mode from now until August, so I’m just going to touch on a couple of things we’ve been working on since I joined the team.

One thing we learned on NFL Head Coach ’09 was that in order to have a great franchise mode, you need a solid base. You wouldn’t put a 2nd or 3rd addition on your house if the foundation is crumbling, right?

Since our ‘foundation’ is the logic behind every decision made in franchise mode, we knew we really wanted to address that foundation before anything else major was applied. I know some folks may be expecting the entire NFL Head Coach ’09 game to be dropped into Madden this year, but that’s not going to happen. We have a lot of work to do and it’s going to take us some time to start with the core of franchise mode and take it where we all want it to be.

I’ll break down some of the problems we’ve encountered so far and talk about how we’re addressing them below."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 kcarr @ 04/07/09 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
good RB years after 30 with 4 yard + averages and decent yardage:

Fredd Taylor 2007 - http://www.nfl.com/players/fredtaylo...e?id=TAY220162

Tikki Barber 2006 - http://www.nfl.com/players/tikibarbe...e?id=BAR025952

Warrick Dunn 2006 - http://www.nfl.com/players/warrickdu...e?id=DUN705495

Fredd Taylor 2006 - see above

Priest Holmes 2005 - http://www.nfl.com/players/priesthol...e?id=HOL627237

Correy Dillon 2004 - http://www.nfl.com/players/coreydill...e?id=DIL255767

Curtis Martin 2004 - http://www.nfl.com/players/curtismar...e?id=MAR543073

Marshall Faulk 2003 - http://www.nfl.com/players/marshallf...e?id=FAU138264

Priest Holmes 2003 -

Garrison Hearst 2003 @ 32 - http://www.nfl.com/players/garrisonh...e?id=HEA453213

Tyrone Wheatly 2003 @ 31 - http://www.nfl.com/players/tyronewhe...e?id=WHE081965

Warrick Dunn 2006 - see above

After looking for a while they do really drop off after 30, if you look you will find a few that are productive (600+ yards with 4+ yard averages) up to 33 and that seems to be the end of most RBs careers. After 30 I do not think there are many feature RBs that don't have the help of another back to help carry the load.

I think a FEW backs should stay decent till maybe 32 or 33 BUT they need to have really low stamina AND higher risk of injury.
Marcus allen is the only one I found that went beyond about 32 or 33 and still played with any effectiveness. As far as backs remaining decent sometimes, yes they should. However these backs were mostly not elite by that age.

Fred at 31 was a solid back but was not an every down back. He was very productive though sharing carries with MJD and was a solid starter, probably a mid 80s quality player.

Tiki was great but that line was really underrated at that point. Pretty much the same group is now considered the best or one of the best olines in the NFL. I would have said he maintained a mid to high 80s level play though.

Warrick after he turned 31 had that one solid 1100 yard season and then dropped off. Probably mid 80s

Priest after he turned 31 was solid in the games he played but was also sharing carries and never played more than half a season. Possibly high 80s but so beaten down by all the carries, nearly 1000 in the 3 previous years, that his injury ratings should have been probably in the 60s.

After corey turned 31 he played one season and put up decent but not great numbers. 800 yards on a superbowl team with a really good oline, I would say high 70s or low 80s

Curtis had one good season where I would have called him high 80s at 31 years old but dropped down to at best low 80s by the next year.

Garrison had a solid season at 31 but nothing to write home about. Probably would have called him low 80s then and then high 70s the next year.

Once Marshall hit 31 he was average at best. Maybe mid 70s.

After Wheatley hit 31 he did run for slightly over 1000 yards but it took him a season and a half to do it. Average at best production. Maybe mid to low 70s.

These players may have been able to play decent at 31 years old but it wasn't at the top of their games for most of them. There was definate dropoff in most of these cases by this point and for all of them by 32 years of age none of them were much above average.

# 202 kcarr @ 04/08/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
Quote from article...
"Finally we get to progression, easily one of the most often-discussed areas of Franchise mode in the community for Madden NFL 09. Donny Moore did a lot of good work with progression prior to my joining the team and I’ve been able to keep tweaking it since. Here are the major changes we’ve made so far:

• Older players will digress much faster. In fact, when a running back hits 30, he’s going downhill at warp speed.

• Younger players will progress quickly if they play well. We’re talking up 10 points in overall if he has a great year.

• Veteran players will still progress, but not substantially. They can also digress if they play poorly."

I may be wrong, but shouldn't he be saying 'regress' NOT 'digress' at the end?

I think digress means to go off on a tangent, not go down or backwards
Already been mentioned but yes you are right

# 203 Glorious Arc @ 04/08/09 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Already been mentioned but yes you are right
Why do people get hung up on proper english and grammer its not like we are in school? I got yelled at for typing alot, others have been "called out" before as well, and now josh is taking it lol o well...

(this was not a "serious" post dont get onto me)

# 204 PGaither84 @ 04/08/09 04:27 PM
Yeah, how many people here forget that Tiki Barber retired "early" like Berry Sanders and Jim Brown while still "in their prime." Sometimes thisis the best time fora back to retire. Less wear adn tare and leaves a beter legacy. That, and the Giants were better off without him

# 205 kcarr @ 04/08/09 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Yeah, how many people here forget that Tiki Barber retired "early" like Berry Sanders and Jim Brown while still "in their prime." Sometimes thisis the best time fora back to retire. Less wear adn tare and leaves a beter legacy. That, and the Giants were better off without him
Yes, but those guys retiring then leaves question as to whether or not they would have been in their primes the next year, especially looking at how quickly and seemingly unexpectedly the other backs dropped off.

# 206 PGaither84 @ 04/08/09 04:41 PM
I'm not freaking out about RBs going down hill fast, that's a given. i am more worried about the Bret Favre's, Junior Seau's, and Jerry Rice's of the NFL. Elite players who's true fall off didn't happen unitll around age 36+. Also Rich Gannon who was, in my view underrated in his time in KC and I though Marty should have let him play, not Elivs Gerbach [spelling]. When Gannon went to the Raiders he was a two time MVP and made it to the superbowl. Granted he had two of he best recivers of all time as well [Tim Brown and Jerry Rice], but Gannon really earned his 96ish rating in Madden 04.

These palyers are exceptions to the rule, and I understand that, but I will say it again, I am afraid of the Madden 2002 progression system that would completly prevented these kinds of carrers. I hate 2002's progression system and was so glad there was a total re-tooling of it in 2003. I haven't sen a tolerable progression system since I played 08 on my XBox. Franchise is very improtant to me and I don't want to go through another year of poor franchise mode.

# 207 kcarr @ 04/08/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I'm not freaking out about RBs going down hill fast, that's a given. i am more worried about the Bret Favre's, Junior Seau's, and Jerry Rice's of the NFL. Elite players who's true fall off didn't happen unitll around age 36+. Also Rich Gannon who was, in my view underrated in his time in KC and I though Marty should have let him play, not Elivs Gerbach [spelling]. When Gannon went to the Raiders he was a two time MVP and made it to the superbowl. Granted he had two of he best recivers of all time as well [Tim Brown and Jerry Rice], but Gannon really earned his 96ish rating in Madden 04.

These palyers are exceptions to the rule, and I understand that, but I will say it again, I am afraid of the Madden 2002 progression system that would completly prevented these kinds of carrers. I hate 2002's progression system and was so glad there was a total re-tooling of it in 2003. I haven't sen a tolerable progression system since I played 08 on my XBox. Franchise is very improtant to me and I don't want to go through another year of poor franchise mode.
I for one will go ahead and wait until they give dropoff ages for other positions before I freak out. Personally them singling out running backs makes me hopeful that they realize different positions deteriorate at different rates. Kickers and punters for instance can play until 40 without it being that rare. pocket QBs can usually hit late 30s, 36-38 pretty easily and some can go beyond. Agile receivers with good route running and hands can hit mid 30s as well. Smart players in most other positions, LB, Safety, Corners if they can move to safety usually, TE, OL, DL can often hit mid 30s while players who depend more on speed and strength if they don't develop the other skills can deteriorate faster.

# 208 Valdarez @ 04/08/09 10:04 PM
What good is a Franchise mode if the game is not worth playing? I purchased Madden '09 and tried to play it. I think I made it 10 games into the season before I could no longer stand the repetitive nature of the commentary (started repeating badly in game 2 of the Franchise) and the horrible game play mechanics.

When, or if the game play ever gets fixed (low expectations there based on historical evidence, but would be happy to be surprised), then the only feature I would like to see is a NFL Live season ability, where we replicate a NFL season based on the way it was played. Let me start my Franchise in ANY yer I want. I would LOVE to start in the 1990s with the Dallas Cowboys rebuilding year and then go from there, using known players and draft classes as well as known NFL stats / results from each year, with my chance to alter/change history. Imagine, playing with and against all of the Legends from the beginning of the NFL. It would be amazing.

Franchise mode, for years that have never occurred, has never really interested me.

So the modes I would like to request are:
  • LIVE NFL Franchise Mode (starting with the current season, progressing while it progresses)
  • Historical NFL Franchise Mode

# 209 lv2bll @ 04/09/09 05:09 PM
but they still dont add the customization of madden 06, alot of us still love those features and we have to pay 20-40 bucks extra for them, this to me is gonna be a huge disappointment, but hey ill still try it. I think the exclusive rights to the nfl was the worst thing to happen to sports videogames, just imagine if all u had for baseball was 2k.................

# 210 KStateFan @ 04/09/09 05:40 PM
Looks like I'll be playing Madden again!

# 211 raidersbball20 @ 04/10/09 12:08 PM
finally the draft will be better

# 212 ravensownu21 @ 04/10/09 12:41 PM
i agreee with lightning 78 there are still old gys in the league and they are still good like ray lewis ronde barber derrick mason brain urlacher london flether washington pat williams(or kevin not sure) darrren sharper jamal willams and also i think they should make the super bowl celebration better

# 213 sram444 @ 04/10/09 01:04 PM
not sure if anyone posted this or not.... but how about not making the retirements so pathetic... by just having the same players retire each and every year... i must of played 10 franchises and the same players would retire each year.

# 214 xblake16x @ 04/10/09 01:20 PM
I am all about franchise mode! I have been ever since i can remember playing madden. Play just over half the games in a season so i can affect my players stats for the season. I really loved managing the salary cap in Head Coach, but in madden that aspect was lacking for me.

when starting a multiplayer franchise there should be an option to assign a controller to a specific team, that way there would be no accidentally signing or drafting a person for your friend's team. This would also allow for the same style of signing people that is used in nfl head coach which would be really neat for madden.

in madden the rookie contracts are no where near realistic, guys who are good but drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round for some reason always ask for more than 1 mil per year which is not realistic. NFL Head Coach got this aspect right, where pretty much anyone outside of the first round even if they were projected higher wouldnt ask for more than a million.

i would love to see players leave for more reasons than just not having enough cap, or the user just deciding not to sign him. Maybe a player wants more money, more PT, a better team, better coaches etc... whatever it is that happens in real life, implement it into the game.

i see that salary cap tuning will be attended to next time which is cool! after about year 3 i have around 38 million in cap with an superbowl caliber team. i have to set my own cap limit!

but what i really want to see is some sort of negotiation when dealing with contracts because as it is now, anyone you want to sign, you sign. Pretty much no matter what. I want to see un-restricted free agents want to leave to get a change of scenery or to get more playing time somewhere else. NCAA has the option of making promises to your recruits, and if you dont fulfill them, those recruits might transfer. it would be really cool to see promises in madden; if you dont fulfill them the player will demand a trade, or demand to be released!

thanks for the amazing update!

# 215 Clarke_311 @ 04/10/09 09:38 PM
I don't know if this applies with teams drafting team needs, but what having teams drafting posistions that they think are important/not important. Take the Eagles, for example, they probably won't draft a WR but they might take an OL or DT, or the Lions, they'll probably take a WR.

# 216 Jazzfanatic12 @ 04/18/09 02:11 PM
make it like head coach only they should make it more realistic, i know a lot of people don't care about this but if they put it in it will be amazing, they need to add suspensions like all of a sudden an icon pops up and says one of your players got caught beating someone up in a bar. you get to choose to suspend him or not and if you do then the player may ask for more money for a contract at the end of a season but if you don't your team starts to build a reputation of being a team of "bad boys".

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.