Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers franchise mode improvements.

Quote:
"This week I wanted to give you an update on what we’re addressing in franchise mode this year. We’re probably going to have a few blogs about franchise mode from now until August, so I’m just going to touch on a couple of things we’ve been working on since I joined the team.

One thing we learned on NFL Head Coach ’09 was that in order to have a great franchise mode, you need a solid base. You wouldn’t put a 2nd or 3rd addition on your house if the foundation is crumbling, right?

Since our ‘foundation’ is the logic behind every decision made in franchise mode, we knew we really wanted to address that foundation before anything else major was applied. I know some folks may be expecting the entire NFL Head Coach ’09 game to be dropped into Madden this year, but that’s not going to happen. We have a lot of work to do and it’s going to take us some time to start with the core of franchise mode and take it where we all want it to be.

I’ll break down some of the problems we’ve encountered so far and talk about how we’re addressing them below."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 lightning_78 @ 04/06/09 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Also, I really hope they change it so that players at all positions dont retire at the same age.
Agreed. I hate seeing Kurt Warner and TO retiring after one season because they were 38 and 35 respectively.

I know someone else came up with the idea for a "passion" rating. That way you have guys like Favre playing 18 seasons and in contrast a Barry Sanders who couldn't stand playing for a losing team anymore and therefore lost a lot of "heart".

# 22 countryboy @ 04/06/09 06:46 PM
I liked what I read. I'll step aside now so some of the others can jump off the cliff.

# 23 Golden28 @ 04/06/09 06:49 PM
A solid start for this new Dev team.

Addressing the basics quite rightly and then going from there. Can't wait to see more Franchise information post draft but this is a very good first blog.

# 24 Glorious Arc @ 04/06/09 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
"The “potential” rating is another sort of ‘hidden’ addition that we are changing up this year to impact progression (and Franchise mode overall). Every player in the game has a potential rating that he cannot exceed (a la NFL Head Coach 09). This year, we’re actually exposing that rating so you’ll have an idea why your player is not progressing - typically a situation where his potential is maxed out. Exposing this rating also help quite a bit in making personnel decisions when contracts are up. One key detail here is that you’ll only see potential for players on your own team. CPU player potentials will be hidden."

I know a lot of people wanted to see this make it into madden.
If its anything like Head Coach Ill scream....The two things about HC that bothered me the most outside of gameplay was the pre-created rookies and the cap limit on a players stats.

I like that there is a potential but if its like HCs then it just completely blows. They "thought" Matt Ryan and Joe Flaco and all the rookie RBs werent going to be anything beyond what their current stats were....Need I remind anyone the seasons each of those players had?

The pre-created rookies killed the replay value in HC. I pray that its not anything like the 4 classes of 15 years. Sure you may get a total of 60 classes but come on...HC forum turned into "hey look at this sleeper" and if you wanted to play the game over and you got the same class you knew who was what and where they would be drafted.

Ill wait to hear more details about each one and how close they are to HC before I say this is the very first post that has made me feel completely disgusted (as well as happy they fixed the logic.)

# 25 bowdown2shadi @ 04/06/09 06:50 PM
Can we just simulate a few months until madden comes out cause I cant wait!!!

# 26 thudias @ 04/06/09 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
If its anything like Head Coach Ill scream....The two things about HC that bothered me the most outside of gameplay was the pre-created rookies and the cap limit on a players stats.

I like that there is a potential but if its like HCs then it just completely blows. They "thought" Matt Ryan and Joe Flaco and all the rookie RBs werent going to be anything beyond what their current stats were....Need I remind anyone the seasons each of those players had?

The pre-created rookies killed the replay value in HC. I pray that its not anything like the 4 classes of 15 years. Sure you may get a total of 60 classes but come on...HC forum turned into "hey look at this sleeper" and if you wanted to play the game over and you got the same class you knew who was what and where they would be drafted.

Ill wait to hear more details about each one and how close they are to HC before I say this is the very first post that has made me feel completely disgusted (as well as happy they fixed the logic.)
This is appropriate..you have a point.

# 27 mikeveli20 @ 04/06/09 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_78
As far as the potential ratings go, I think it would be nice if you hired a new coach (like a Rex Ryan or Todd Haley) and when they join your staff you should be able to see the potential ratings of the players those guys used to work with. Like we should be able to see the Ravens defensive personnel and the Card's offense potential ratings. Not the exact rating, just let's say have the rating 5 points off either way...
In addition to this, certain coaches should be able to squeeze a few more potential points of out some players. We've all seen it before when a coach helps a player reach that next level of play. Maybe this should just affect his progression rate, but there should be some type of system in place where a coach can really make an impact. He mentioned in the next blog there would be detail about coach boosts so could be something about it in there.

Also, I would like to know how the potential rating is determined in the first place? I never played head coach because I like playing the actual games so I'm not sure how this worked in that game. Is it just random or based on a formula of certain attributes? What determines that one player is capped at 90 overall where another is capped at 87 if they both come into the league at an 80?

# 28 CapnKill @ 04/06/09 06:53 PM
Huh... not sure what to think. I was hopping to see a comment on certain attributes not progressing like SPD for example... I find it very unrealistic for a player to gain 3-5 points of SPD ... no one does that.
Quote:
The “potential” rating is another sort of ‘hidden’ addition that we are changing up this year to impact progression (and Franchise mode overall). Every player in the game has a potential rating that he cannot exceed (a la NFL Head Coach 09). This year, we’re actually exposing that rating so you’ll have an idea why your player is not progressing - typically a situation where his potential is maxed out. Exposing this rating also help quite a bit in making personnel decisions when contracts are up. One key detail here is that you’ll only see potential for players on your own team. CPU player potentials will be hidden.
Also this I don't agree with. I think it ruins some of the mystery to know the full potential. One twist that I'd be happy with is what Pro Evo Soccer is doing, where they show you the players growth curve (potential) but depending on the performance a player CAN exceed their potential... I think that goes a long way in keeping things a bit interesting.

# 29 thudias @ 04/06/09 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
"• Older players will digress much faster. In fact, when a running back hits 30, he’s going downhill at warp speed."

DO NOT LIKE. This better be addressed correctly. If a player has a great year, he shouldn't degress in overall just because he's getting older. Especially HB's.

Thomas Jones, Jamal Lewis, Brian Westbrook and LaDainian Tomlinson are all going to be 30-31 by the end of our first year in Franchise. So does that mean that even if those guys have a few great years (in the Franchise), they're still subject to having their overalls decrease instead of increase?
I do like it..look at all the RB's that drop off the face of the earth once they hit 30-32...you can name a few debatable guys but the majority are gone from the NFL and that is a fact.

# 30 jfsolo @ 04/06/09 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I liked what I read. I'll step aside now so some of the others can jump off the cliff.
I think you should volunteer to act as Second for those who feel like committing Seppuku.

# 31 Rebel10 @ 04/06/09 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
(Waits for the shock and disappointment of the "inpatients" who were eagerly ancticipating something major)
Here Here Here!

All sound good. Of course, I was waiting for the back of the box Franchise feature.

# 32 mikeveli20 @ 04/06/09 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
i was really hoping for some depth info.... like how in HEAD COACH, one mans rubbish was another man's gold because each player was more suited to a style of offense or defense.

ie- winfield is a 90 in a "cover 2" but an 82 in a "ball hawk" setting.
They should definitely include this in Madden. Same goes for an undersized DE. He could be a 72 at DE in the 4-3, 64 at DE in the 3-4, and 80 at OLB in the 3-4. Something like this would be cool.

# 33 Glorious Arc @ 04/06/09 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Huh... not sure what to think. I was hopping to see a comment on certain attributes not progressing like SPD for example... I find it very unrealistic for a player to gain 3-5 points of SPD ... no one does that.

Also this I don't agree with. I think it ruins some of the mystery to know the full potential. One twist that I'd be happy with is what Pro Evo Soccer is doing, where they show you the players growth curve (potential) but depending on the performance a player CAN exceed their potential... I think that goes a long way in keeping things a bit interesting.
That would be a great fix instead of having pre-set max stats for a players "potential.

# 34 sportzbro @ 04/06/09 06:56 PM
this blog owns..

progression fixed
draft logic fixed
scouting fixed
contracts fixed

awesome news

# 35 Cryolemon @ 04/06/09 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdown2shadi
Can we just simulate a few months until madden comes out cause I cant wait!!!
lol

I like the idea of pre-created rookies, it lets them do much more presentation. The whole "15 classes" thing didn't work too well in Head Coach, they should just choose a random class for each rookie each time you start franchise.

# 36 PGaither84 @ 04/06/09 06:58 PM
I am VERY worried about how older players will progress. I dread a madden 02 system where your first few years you go nuts, around year 7-10 you stableize and year 11-15 you plumit untill you have to retire. No matter how well you played you couldnever get Junior Seau or rich gannon to play like their real life counterparts AND keep their rattings up. It looks like there is no chance a Bret Favre player will be able to have a great season like he did his last year in Greenbay and be a 96 like he started out in 09.

I am glad to see the bit about how they will be judged by other palyers in the league, but, again, I fear the unrealistic DUMP of a player's ratting.

Lastly, any word on weekly progressions? I loved the week 5, 11, 17 progressions. I thought that was VERY sim. that allowed good players to go up as the year went on like Wess Wlker and players like Favre who underperformed to drop in steado f staying at their ratting all season long. It also allowed fora mid season turn around. maybe you start off cold and then got better stablisising your ratting.

# 37 polamalu82 @ 04/06/09 06:59 PM
It's nice to see that a player that has a great year will progress accordingly. The rookie scouting finally working is awesome news also.

One thing I was left wondering however is if they changed the boring interface of the franchise mode? The interface was always "bare bones" to me. Nothing exciting about it what so ever. I hope they changed it up some. IMO the out of game presentation is just as important as the in game presentation.

All in all a good blog. Thanks guys!!

# 38 cowboysfan440 @ 04/06/09 07:00 PM
im hoping this year we can build new stadiums without relocating and when we do want to relocate we dont have to change unis or logos
just like the old days on ps2 and xbox

also minor thing - correct pro bowl helmets
blog was great though i just hope they dont make u change rbs as soon as urs hits 30

# 39 lightning_78 @ 04/06/09 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
I do like it..look at all the RB's that drop off the face of the earth once they hit 30-32...you can name a few debatable guys but the majority are gone from the NFL and that is a fact.
We mean that though a lot of guys do drop off around age 30, there are guys like Thomas Jones (who rushed for over 1300 yds and 12 TDs if I remember), Jerome Bettis when he was playing, and guys like LT and Westbrook who are either or almost 30 who are all still playing at a high level.

We don't want our 29-year-old HB who just rushed for 1800 yds and 25 TDs (aka Priest Holmes in 2003 when he turned 30) to have that kind of season and then drop from a 97 OVR to a 92 OVR just because he turned 30.

Though that's where the potential rating could come in handy if done correctly.

# 40 splff3000 @ 04/06/09 07:01 PM
For all you HC guys, what does he mean by
Quote:
We now create every rookie by hand, just like you saw in NFL Head Coach ’09.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.