Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers adaptive AI.

Quote:
"In nearly every sports game that you’ve ever played, there usually comes a time where someone discovers some sort of gameplay strategy that is extremely successful (in an unbalanced way). Often times these are considered ‘exploits’ because they are either impossible or extremely hard to stop. You may find it on your own, or you may learn it from someone abusing you with it online, or you may even pay to find it on a shady website. Regardless, these exploits can often extremely hamper the replay value of a game because at some point, nearly everyone gets tired of doing the same thing over and over again and beating up the CPU by 100 points…and at this point the game typically comes out of the tray. Whether it’s an exploit or a “money play”, it’s all frustrating…so from the start of the cycle we knew that we wanted to create an Adaptive AI infrastructure in our football games. Two of our most experienced gameplay / AI engineers – Daniel White and Ryan Burnsides – took the reigns with designing and implementing the majority of this system so I hope this blog does it justice. "

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 mercalnd @ 04/10/09 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red butler
I was asking for clarification of the blog. This was a direct quote from the blog..."a defender will get better and better at man coverage if you keep running the same route over and over again"...
The boost would only apply if you call the same play/route. You're talking about sending that same receiver on a totally different route.

# 62 CapnKill @ 04/10/09 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke_311
Why don't you read the blog, then you'll see how it works.
I read the blog and I don't believe there is a clear answer to my question.

# 63 icomb1ne @ 04/10/09 09:07 PM
Hopefully it applies to the offense as well!!

Also, I hope that it is carried over from game to game in franchise mode. Teams should know a little about one's tendencies when entering a game.

# 64 CapnKill @ 04/10/09 09:07 PM
Quote:
I was asking for clarification of the blog. This was a direct quote from the blog..."a defender will get better and better at man coverage if you keep running the same route over and over again"...

I'll give an example of my primary concern. If I scout a defense and see there's a rookie cornerback that I want to beat deep on a double move, I would start by throwing a couple of short routes in order to set him up for the double move. Theoretically, If the game gives the rookie DB an increase in man coverage skills, instead of setting him up, I've actually made him a better CB that is less likely to bite on the double move.
I think this what Ian says on that subject:

Quote:
if you keep running the same route over and over again, but would drop back down to his original rating if you keep mixing it up

# 65 SteelerSpartan @ 04/10/09 09:10 PM
Sounds very promising and much needed to make Madden more SIM

Im anxiously waiting to see it all in action.

# 66 Vikes1 @ 04/10/09 09:35 PM
Seems to me, that with Adaptive AI at long last being added, it may also cut down on the cpu's Superman ways to be competitive.

Meaning...with the AI now being able to anticipate, it may now be in better position to make the play. Rather than having to count on super jumping LB's and speed morphing DB's.

# 67 splff3000 @ 04/10/09 10:02 PM
Quote:

I'll give an example of my primary concern. If I scout a defense and see there's a rookie cornerback that I want to beat deep on a double move, I would start by throwing a couple of short routes in order to set him up for the double move. Theoretically, If the game gives the rookie DB an increase in man coverage skills, instead of setting him up, I've actually made him a better CB that is less likely to bite on the double move.
He specifically said that the DB would get a boost when that particular route was ran again. A double move is something different ie an out and up is a different route than an out.

EDIT: didn't see all the other posts saying the same thing I just said. Disregard please

# 68 kmart2180 @ 04/10/09 10:06 PM
Wow!!! Simply Amazing!!!
Things just keep getting better and better for this years madden.
This was one of the more important area's of madden to me. And I am exstatic that this is being done for madden 10.

I cant wait to hear how this works for the cpu offensively.

# 69 Nza @ 04/10/09 10:09 PM
Cool concept, but Adaptive AI isn't new to Madden as a supposed feature (the "first sports game that adjusts to you", anyone?), so obviously implementation is the key.

# 70 clarkerots @ 04/11/09 12:00 AM
Hopefully there's no ratings boost but an awareness boost. That would make more sense. Just not enough information right now. What would be great though is if the adaptive AI could work both ways, negatively and positively. Example, I'm running a dive play from pro set double tight end. After a few plays the defense recognizes that pro set double tight end will result in a dive play, so their awareness goes up and they do things like stack the line with 8 in the box to prevent the dive (negative). Now, if I run pro set double tight end with a play action fake dive, the defense should be expecting the dive play and start with 8 in the box (positive). Not only should that work in my favor but maybe lower the expectations of the defense that the pro set double tight end will be a dive play. I'm not saying overdo it where the example above leads to a big play every time, but maybe it turns a defense double covering a receiver into single coverage with no safety help......and play it out from there. Ian, thoughts? comments? anything you can reveal without killing me afterwards?

# 71 mercalnd @ 04/11/09 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Cool concept, but Adaptive AI isn't new to Madden as a supposed feature (the "first sports game that adjusts to you", anyone?), so obviously implementation is the key.
Last year's adaptive AI concept was about difficulty level, not strategy. What they are doing is more like what the NHL series has.

# 72 Smoke316 @ 04/11/09 02:43 PM
I hope it works exactly as u stated..very good example. Hopefully
It isn't too easy..but it would b nice to catch the computer off guard every once in a while on all madden

# 73 SageInfinite @ 04/11/09 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
This is really the thing that makes this the killer ap. If the CPU can win WITHOUT CHEATING, that would be amazing. Can you imagine the death of Robo-QB? Now when the CPU get's you in the 4th it's because you kept running cover-4 on 3rd down and it adjusted. Not because it made your defenders run away from the ball.

Imagine having a 10-6 season, just missing the playoffs, and NOT feeling like you got jipped or cheated. Now you're thinking about how to improve your roster, gameplan and execution instead of how bad you got robbed by the CPU.

With some good tuning, this feature could make the game damn hard without any cheating by the CPU.
Now that is truly a dream. Damn you got me thinking now!

# 74 icomb1ne @ 04/11/09 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icomb1ne
Hopefully it applies to the offense as well!!

Also, I hope that it is carried over from game to game in franchise mode. Teams should know a little about one's tendencies when entering a game.
I also forgot to add that I think coaching personalities should affect this somehow. Different coaches react differently to the same situation.

# 75 KyGamerLT @ 04/11/09 05:25 PM
Wow Ian this is really great, I think this will really change madden. It will feel great not to beat the computer with money plays! I think this will make tournament play a lot more fun too. This should cut down the rb out route too! I can't wait to see my lb jump infront of the rb.

# 76 Methlab @ 04/11/09 05:44 PM
Please consider the online VIP system from 2k5. It made it so easy to see who cheesed..etc. It was incredible.

# 77 Bgamer90 @ 04/11/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
This is really the thing that makes this the killer ap. If the CPU can win WITHOUT CHEATING, that would be amazing. Can you imagine the death of Robo-QB? Now when the CPU get's you in the 4th it's because you kept running cover-4 on 3rd down and it adjusted. Not because it made your defenders run away from the ball.

Imagine having a 10-6 season, just missing the playoffs, and NOT feeling like you got jipped or cheated. Now you're thinking about how to improve your roster, gameplan and execution instead of how bad you got robbed by the CPU.

With some good tuning, this feature could make the game damn hard without any cheating by the CPU.

# 78 Mofficial @ 04/11/09 06:11 PM
Quote:

That would be beautiful.

# 79 Vikes1 @ 04/11/09 08:39 PM
Quote:

This is my greatest hope SS.

If this feature is as effective, and well implemented as I hope...this will change my Madden gaming experience big time.

I've even been thinking about maybe trying Coach mode, due to Adaptive AI being added. I can't remember though...are we getting true Coach mode for M10?...or just QB auto-throw?

# 80 Pakeege10 @ 04/11/09 09:35 PM
This is long overdue...Thanks EA!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.