Home
News Post

Read the full press release, right here.

Quote:
"The Boston Bruins will win the Stanley Cup for the first time in 37 years, defeating original six rival Chicago Blackhawks in a six game series, according to the official EA SPORTS simulation of the 2009 NHL playoffs on the award-winning NHL 09 videogame.

Boston, led by shutdown defenseman Zdeno Chara, outmuscled the Blackhawks and received timely scoring from Conn Smythe Trophy winner Phil Kessel to capture its sixth Stanley Cup, and first since 1972. Kessel, playing on the Bruins top line with playoff leading scorer Marc Savard, delivered two overtime game-winners during the Finals. He finished with 14 goals in the playoffs, including five in the Finals.

The EA SPORTS simulation predicts Boston and Chicago will appear in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in 17 and 15 years, respectively. Boston last appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals in 1990, losing 4 games to 1 to the Edmonton Oilers. Chicago lost in four straight games to Pittsburgh in the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 luv_mist @ 04/13/09 08:16 PM
They have Chicago in the Finals? WOW!! This is definitely an interesting year in hockey.......

# 2 savoie2006 @ 04/13/09 08:25 PM
That would be great for the sport, that's for sure, but as a Blackhawks fan and considering they would have to get through Detroit and or San Jose; I just don't see that happening.

# 3 Bumble14 @ 04/14/09 09:26 AM
Anything can happen in the NHL playoffs, but this sim just seems rediculous. Who knows though?

# 4 Vince @ 04/14/09 10:14 AM
Can we get that playoff seeding to use in our own games?

# 5 flamingarmadilo @ 04/14/09 11:46 AM
The sim is pretty bad, I did one like a month ago for the whole season, start to finish, and it had Tampa Bay winning the cup, and Washington in last place for the entire league.

# 6 Qb @ 04/14/09 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Can we get that playoff seeding to use in our own games?
I was just thinking along those lines... how did they sim the Playoffs? I wonder if they just set up the games in exhibition mode, or do they have a double-secret playoff mode in hiding? How incredibly sweet would it be if they had a downloadable playoff bracket similar to what was done for the March Madness b-ball game!?!

I'm just wishing out loud there, please don't take that the wrong way -- I have heard nothing of the sort from anyone.

# 7 Lubey @ 04/14/09 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I was just thinking along those lines... how did they sim the Playoffs? I wonder if they just set up the games in exhibition mode, or do they have a double-secret playoff mode in hiding? How incredibly sweet would it be if they had a downloadable playoff bracket similar to what was done for the March Madness b-ball game!?!

I'm just wishing out loud there, please don't take that the wrong way -- I have heard nothing of the sort from anyone.

That would be cool. I think if it were to come out though it would have been announced. Maybe next year. Good idea though I could see this thing becoming more common in sports games.

I would assume they just used exhibition to get the results.

# 8 canucksss @ 04/14/09 06:37 PM
yes the sim of this game is bad. in my franchise, calgary, anaheim & detroit are out of the playoffs. CBJ, SJ and Canucks (me) are the 1-2-3 seed. Chicago is dead 8th, Nashville and PHOENIX are in 4th and 5th.

so dont believe in that crap.

# 9 Vince @ 04/14/09 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

I think its BS Q.

They probably just did a season and simulated until they got a cup final that featured two teams that are actually in the real life stanley cup playoffs.

Again I will ask, why 2k9 and 09 took out playoff mode is beyond me...Makes no sense whatsoever.

# 10 Madman55 @ 04/14/09 10:28 PM
Umm...

Spoiler

Thats the way it was done I'm pretty sure.

# 11 nsilvano21 @ 04/14/09 10:44 PM
haha boston bruins will be a first round exit. I dont think they got out of the first round for awhile.

# 12 Clarke_311 @ 04/15/09 11:38 PM
Hmm, interesting, I have the Bruins losing to the Sharks in the finals.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.