Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The latest Madden NFL 10 blog is online. Letting the "Wildcat" Loose.

Quote:
"Throughout the season we have witnessed many different teams use variations of the Wildcat, but no one used it more effectively and extensively as the Miami Dolphins. In the Dolphins version of this offense, they placed running back Ronnie Brown at the “Quarterback” position. They then lined up running back Ricky Williams at slot receiver, and often times brought him in motion to either receive or fake a handoff from Brown. The Dolphins also use an unbalanced line by moving the left tackle over to the right side of the formation and lining him up next to the right tackle. The Tight End moves down to replace the left tackle and is still an eligible receiver because he is on the end of the line and uncovered (You’ll see a good video example of this below) by another receiver."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 dbshady @ 04/28/09 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_boi
Thank God that the running animations are going to be improved , not only that but theres going to be multiple running styles?? Madden 10 is getting better and better Everyday and its only April ! IM COUNTIN DOWN : 107 days 23 hours 20 mins
DUDE... that's a long time man.. Keep that kinda stuff to yourself. Just bumbed me out.

# 182 KANE699 @ 04/28/09 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
Well yeah, no dout. But that's why I said, he think he should run a little higher (just a tad) because when Jacobs, or whoever has that animation, get in the open field... they kinda look funny.. looking for contact.

So for a reasonable middle (balance), because it looks good in a crowd of defenders, straighten up that back a tad.. just a tad, so it doesn't look like he wants that much contact in the open field too.

Just my opinion Kane. That's all I was saying.
No I get it I just thought you meant you wanted them upright all the time.

# 183 g2thecore @ 04/28/09 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
The non-ballcarriers haven't been updated yet.

As for the ballcarrier, there are multiple 'run styles' in the game. The cycle used by Williams and Brown is the 'base' run style for relatively agile/fast players. The base style was tweaked quite a bit from last year by Simon - the requests came mainly from me (and you guys) - bringing the arm holding the ball in tighter, adding more shoulder movement, and adding more 'urgency'. This base style is what is used in the ANT videos.

Here's what it looked like last year FWIW:

EA SPORTS World: Madden 09 Video Highlight

The run animation that everyone hates (that Fitz was using in the trailer) is our 'sprinter' style. It was used for high agility / speed guys last year (often all WR's)...IMO it's the real culprit for the "stiffness" complaints:

EA SPORTS World: Madden 09 Video Highlight

Today I let Simon know that I want to actually just totally remove it (rather than spend time tuning it) and use the one that people like. Then we can focus on the rest and make them perfect. I mean people keep comparing us to 2k - as far as I can tell 2k8 only has one ballcarrier run cycle so if we have 3 or 4 we're still better than that and we can also make sure those are tuned to perfection.
Thank God. That animation looks God awful! Thanks for the explanation Ian.

# 184 icomb1ne @ 04/28/09 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Thank God. That animation looks God awful! Thanks for the explanation Ian.
OMG, haha. I didn't realize just how bad that looked until I was able to directly compare it to the one above. Wow...talk about fugly and stiff as can be.

# 185 Ozeob @ 04/28/09 01:19 AM
It's all looking pretty good but my main concerns are players leg movements and lighting.

It seems that when EA tweak the game speed, ie; slow players down - it looks as though the animation has slowed down also, which when comparing it to real life, the leg speed movement actually looks far too slow for the amount of ground a player is covering. When you look closely at the real footage, the backs tend to take small quick steps through the pocket and then stride out once room has opened up. Maybe this can be something EA should look at for future installments.

And further more, possibly incorporating size/position specific leg movement, ie; small RB's have smaller strides, Tall WR's tend to really stretch their strides etc.

My other point is lighting. Even on the sunniest of days in Madden, it always seems like its overcast when looking purely at the field and players (not the sky). I think maybe the uniforms need to better reflect a bright day, so too the grass.

Both these additions would really add to the realism.

# 186 Exonerated @ 04/28/09 03:39 AM
Awesome stuff.

# 187 Cryolemon @ 04/28/09 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
The knock on custom plays online is that the will be abused.

THIS WILL BE ABUSED. Massively. I promise you that the defensive adjustments available will be insufficient to stop the wildcat. Mark my words.
This isn't a custom play. Ian has already said you can't audible out of it. He's also said that the Defense adjusted to stop him running it over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
much like the fade route in the 2k series
That's a different issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Where are the run-support assignments on defense?

Where are the alignment audibles to get my defenders in position to stop this cheeze?

Where are the custom zone coverages to stop the little dink and dunk passes it will produce?

Where are the weapons on DEFENSE to stop the cheeze on offense?

And if I can't have those tools, WHY CAN'T I CREATE MY OWN?
Because you said yourself that custom plays would be abused online. That goes for defense as well as offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy03
Everything looked good expect the last pass play. It doesnt reallly feel that it is a wildcat swept fake pass. Pat white fakes the hand off then stands still. that looks just like a regular playaction and not confusing at all. That last video was NOT good at all and lets please address that.
Agreed, it should be a designed roll out at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
I wonder if the Dolphins will have that fake reverse pass with pennington. If not they should ad it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bbo...eature=related
I mentioned that earlier, but yeah it should be there.

# 188 shift9k @ 04/28/09 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozeob

It seems that when EA tweak the game speed, ie; slow players down - it looks as though the animation has slowed down also, which when comparing it to real life, the leg speed movement actually looks far too slow for the amount of ground a player is covering. When you look closely at the real footage, the backs tend to take small quick steps through the pocket and then stride out once room has opened up. Maybe this can be something EA should look at for future installments.

And further more, possibly incorporating size/position specific leg movement, ie; small RB's have smaller strides, Tall WR's tend to really stretch their strides etc.

agreed 100%

# 189 charga21 @ 04/28/09 04:27 AM
Damn just made a thread about this exact same point

# 190 ghostlight85 @ 04/28/09 05:18 AM
I am totally ready to get my wildcat on. Pat White and Ronnie Brown will further popularize the wildcat this year. I just hope the dolphins don't abandon the traditional offense.

# 191 brza37 @ 04/28/09 06:48 AM
Nice blog. I like the wildcat video and the fact that the authenticity of each play setting up the next has been reflected in the game.

Question: Will Madden also have this "linked play" feature that NCAA displayed in their Season Showdown vid which shows the link between a certain run and the corresponding PA for example?

Also, just wanted to add that the Eagles have also used the Wildcat with DJax at QB. Unfortunately he doesn't throw that well. But Maclin also ran the Wildcat QB at Mizzou. The two of them with Westbrook and Lesean McCoy will definitely be a huge threat in the Wildcat. Since it hasn't been released which teams are using the Wildcat I'd just like to get my 2 cents in now.

Oh and while I was looking for a videoclip of the birds in the Wildcat last year I found this article which also claims that Reid believes the TE Ingram who was a HS QB also has Wildcat potential:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...agles/home.htm

"Ingram is an excellent athlete with seam-splitting speed. He also is a former quarterback who the Eagles view as a potential "Wildcat" weapon."

# 192 raphael @ 04/28/09 07:15 AM
I got the impression that the running animation looks more fluid and realistic than last year.

# 193 ngoulding @ 04/28/09 07:23 AM
Especially impressive was the way the LT rides the DE wide in the last video. Looks like I'll be Madden again this year after a year out

# 194 Valdarez @ 04/28/09 08:02 AM
It's hard to see, but the OLine animations need fixed where they are coming out of their stance. It looks unnatural. This is most evident in the 3rd Madden video.

Someone pointed out that the Dive animation at the end of the 4th video looks off, and I agree now. I had to watch it several times to see what was wrong with it. The problem is the hand of the runner goes way up in the air, almost like he's jumping straight up and extending up, instead of out / forward with the ball. Instead of a Dive animation, it looks like a dunk animation turned into a dive.

One other good thing I caught in the 4th video, did you guys see the referee on the sidelines running with the runner? Nice.

# 195 TheWatcher @ 04/28/09 08:04 AM
Everything is cool. I ran the Wildcat at CD. It was nice.

But...

"Then there is a camera man who eternally has his camera lens pointed straight down at the ground as if he is trying to adjust something. It's a wasted character... what purpose does a camera man who never shoots, serve? Cut him!"

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2038891296

... and on a TD, too! Maybe that guy is at fault for all those bad TD angles we got last season

# 196 djordan @ 04/28/09 08:14 AM
Maybe he was changing his film?...lol

# 197 TheWatcher @ 04/28/09 08:17 AM
^^^ Forever? LOL.

# 198 callmetaternuts @ 04/28/09 08:59 AM
Hey Ian, thanks for the blog/updates. Wanted to address a post you made. You said that the defense (CPU) was reacting and "adapting" to you running the Wildcat by shifting, then blitzing and it ultimately paid off as you were being dropped in the backfield.

I assume you were running the same play, or same direction each time (meaning you gave it to Williams everytime, or were taking Brown after the fake and heading off tackle).

How did the AI react when you switched it up and used the counter as well as the fake and hand off to Williams? Were they still able to shut you down? My concern is that someone can come out in the Wildcat every play and be fairly successful just by alternating plays (counter, then hand to williams, then fake it, and start all over).

# 199 djKianoosh @ 04/28/09 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T Xtreme
This looks awesome, but I have a couple questions. First, will you be able to insert receivers as the wildcat qb, like desean jackson did for the eagles? Also, will you be able to audible out of the wildcat formation and keep the HB at QB? I hope not, because then we'll see audibles from wildcat to qb sneak to utilize the HB at QB.
hopefully this is done with packages. I can dream up a formation with DeSean, LeSean, Westbrook, Maclin, and Curtis! wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Nice blog. I like the wildcat video and the fact that the authenticity of each play setting up the next has been reflected in the game.

Question: Will Madden also have this "linked play" feature that NCAA displayed in their Season Showdown vid which shows the link between a certain run and the corresponding PA for example?

Also, just wanted to add that the Eagles have also used the Wildcat with DJax at QB. Unfortunately he doesn't throw that well. But Maclin also ran the Wildcat QB at Mizzou. The two of them with Westbrook and Lesean McCoy will definitely be a huge threat in the Wildcat. Since it hasn't been released which teams are using the Wildcat I'd just like to get my 2 cents in now.

Oh and while I was looking for a videoclip of the birds in the Wildcat last year I found this article which also claims that Reid believes the TE Ingram who was a HS QB also has Wildcat potential:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...agles/home.htm

"Ingram is an excellent athlete with seam-splitting speed. He also is a former quarterback who the Eagles view as a potential "Wildcat" weapon."
Even better!!

Now, last point, in the first split image with the dolphins, doesn't it seem like the spacing is a little shrunk in madden? should the field be a bit wider in madden? it looks like the players in real life are smaller (when looking at the hashmarks and numbers and their spacing as landmarks) compared to their madden counterparts. I've always felt that madden had this congested feel to it and I'm thinking the proportions might be off. The fields should be wider I think.

# 200 thudias @ 04/28/09 11:03 AM
Good blog...great to see this wont be unstoppable.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.