Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The latest Madden NFL 10 blog is online. Letting the "Wildcat" Loose.

Quote:
"Throughout the season we have witnessed many different teams use variations of the Wildcat, but no one used it more effectively and extensively as the Miami Dolphins. In the Dolphins version of this offense, they placed running back Ronnie Brown at the “Quarterback” position. They then lined up running back Ricky Williams at slot receiver, and often times brought him in motion to either receive or fake a handoff from Brown. The Dolphins also use an unbalanced line by moving the left tackle over to the right side of the formation and lining him up next to the right tackle. The Tight End moves down to replace the left tackle and is still an eligible receiver because he is on the end of the line and uncovered (You’ll see a good video example of this below) by another receiver."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 streamline @ 04/27/09 09:09 PM
Thank you Ian for the blog updates the game is really shaping up to be something special.
Does this mean we will get the "Pro-Tak" blog next monday?

# 82 MikeMcMahon @ 04/27/09 09:10 PM
One thing I do like is that Ian and co. caught on to one of the more important aspects of the wildcat, the unbalanced line.

# 83 xX CASCABEL Xx @ 04/27/09 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaa6
To all you complaining still, after the unprecedented effort being made by Ian and Team this year...STFU! If you still don't get everything you want in the game this year, just don't buy the game in August when it comes out. But to sit here and bitch/complain in APRIL at every turn is stunning. And to not give props to Ian/Team at this point is simply incredulous. Wow!

EA guys....thanks for the hard work as I for one believe you are pouring your blood, sweat, tears into this one for us....and WITH us. We realize (most of us, at least) it's not going to be a perfect game, but it's looking like a HUGE improvement over anything we've seen for the past 4 or so years.
Thanks and Thanks again.
I approve this message...

# 84 Deltron @ 04/27/09 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
Here guys, Double teams? You be the judge, its the best i could get....

They might have band-aided them in for passing plays, but from the runs I saw they're still missing for run defense.

That is a glaring hole if that's the case when the game ships. I know that they were heavily emphasized when Ian first started soliciting community involvement, so it will be a huge disappointment if they aren't added.

The defensive line needs to be able to dictate double teams based on penetration and scheme. Without it, we are still stuck in the same rut -- 8-9 man fronts being the only way to stop the run.

# 85 dougdeuce @ 04/27/09 09:14 PM
Looks great! There is one thing I would like to call to attention and that is the diving animation in the last video at the goal line. It looked like the same dive we've had forever, where he reaches for the pylon as he does an Arnold "Get to the Choppa!!!" dive and roll.
It has always been my opinion that that animation triggers far too frequently in pylon diving situations. I want to see more of the "think skinny reach" that ballcarries do so frequently now as they pull their arms to their sides while reaching towards around the pylon and try to tip-toe inside it at the same time...

this is hard to explain...

I see done a lot among RB's on goal line sweeps. I tried to find a vid but failed miserably. hope you understand what I'm getting at.

# 86 Captain Obvious @ 04/27/09 09:14 PM
really. if our fat albert doesnt command a triple team than this game is a bust

it does look like a solid double team, maybe even a triple, the guy at the top seems to hand jenkins off when he knows he has no angle to block him.

ians probably still keepin it a secret.

# 87 frankrizzo380 @ 04/27/09 09:15 PM
looks good but on that counter play, it looks like the pulling gaurd is pulling behind the play instead of running forward to block, whats up with that???

# 88 J-Unit40 @ 04/27/09 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
95% of the time you see them lay out and reach the ball inside the pylon though, in madden everytime its that animation and you cant hit ot push them in mid air when that animation plays which is terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7588

I'd like to see something more like that.
+1. I also would like to see the goalline dive and helicopter spin toned down or just made more realistic. Maybe with the Pro-Tak this will be possible.

# 89 Captain Obvious @ 04/27/09 09:19 PM
oh and one more thing on the pass play. the LT #65 is kick sliding and driving the defensive end to the outside. it looks beautiful. a little tease of the pocket developing

# 90 KANE699 @ 04/27/09 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
+1. I also would like to see the goalline dive and helicopter spin toned down or just made more realistic. Maybe with the Pro-Tak this will be possible.
I really want to see the ability to push the player in mid air while he is diving so that if i hit him early enough he cant get the ball inside the pylon.

# 91 teambayern @ 04/27/09 09:23 PM
Loved it, aside from the pylon dive. I believe you could knock someone out of the air while doing it in 09 (to respond to a previous poster) but I don't think that animation itself is realistic or authentic. It looks like there is some magic force that pulls his legs around after in the air, and like others said, players just don't do that on regular basis.

That's a minor gripe though, thanks for the hard work Ian.

# 92 Droopy03 @ 04/27/09 09:23 PM
Everything looked good expect the last pass play. It doesnt reallly feel that it is a wildcat swept fake pass. Pat white fakes the hand off then stands still. that looks just like a regular playaction and not confusing at all. That last video was NOT good at all and lets please address that.

# 93 Bgamer90 @ 04/27/09 09:26 PM
I liked the blog but one thing I didn't like was how Haynos went into the endzone. He wasn't setting his feet to jump so it seems like he was going to high.

Does anyone else agree?

# 94 NYyankz225 @ 04/27/09 09:26 PM
One question though Ian didn't you say this blog would show why the Wildcat won't be a cheesefest like some people thought it would? Is that going to be saved for later?

# 95 Krodis @ 04/27/09 09:26 PM
Everyone may be criticizing the last play (and White really should have been sprinting out to the left there), but White did step into a wide open passing lane formed by the LT pushing the defender all the way out and a solid double? on the DT.

# 96 PantherBeast_OS @ 04/27/09 09:27 PM
I just read a qoute from Ian. Ian is going to come down hard on any one trashing this blog. I think he is really getting tired of people trashing him and his crews work on madden 10. I don't blame him one bit. People are never happy with anything. If the game is not to their likings. They cry about it. Simple fact is people pick out littles things here and there that are in the photos and video clips and just complain about them none stop. But I got news for people who complain. You are not going to get your way. There is a difference in pointing out needed improvements in the game and then complaining bout them and bashing the blogs. Ian is like anyone else. So are later he gets tired of people crying and bashing his work. But Ian I love this blog. Ya'll are doing a real good job on madden 10. I hope ya'll are having a good time working on it for us.. And thank you for listening to us. You have showed us you care bout your product. Just again the blog is good and I love it. Keep up the good work.

# 97 Valdarez @ 04/27/09 09:28 PM
Here's my breakdown, with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Madden Video #1 - "Jet Sweep" play out of the Wildcat

• Good - hike, fake handoff, transition to run by QB/HB
  • Bad - transition to normal running by #34
  • Bad - end of play by #34 (they need to continue hunkering down faking the run, or stop running sooner)
  • Bad - weird running animation for #65 (crab legs)

Madden Video #2 - "PA Jet Sweep" Wildcat w/ Pat White

• Good - hand off, tackling animations, even Ginn is happy at the end of the play!
  • Good - Game Speed looks good (is this replay or in game speed???)

Madden Video #3 - "Counter" play out of Wildcat formation
  • Good - Nice tackle animation and end of play
  • Bad - Block animation by #66 on #97 could have more life (just a little tap there then #97 turns around almost instantly)
  • Ugly - #97 has an almost instant 180 degree turn after a block (thought that was fixed?)

Madden Video #4 - "PA Jet Sweep" Wildcat w/ Pat White

• Good - Nice fake hand off and blocking
  • Bad - Someone should wake the cameramen up and let them know Miami scored, they seem oblivious
  • Ugly - CB to the left can be seen making an instant turn to go up field (more instant turns / missing animations)

The big things that caught my eyes were the instant turns. I saw this in the trailer, on the Fallon show, and now on these videos.

# 98 KANE699 @ 04/27/09 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
One question though Ian didn't you say this blog would show why the Wildcat won't be a cheesefest like some people thought it would? Is that going to be saved for later?
You're right they didn't bring up a certain aspect on why this formation would be hard to cheeze out of.

I'd like to see Ian mention this certain reason so I don't break the nda doing so.

# 99 Anti Honor @ 04/27/09 09:30 PM
Probably too good to be true.

Looks good, but how many house rules will I have to make for myself, to keep from abusing it? Will the CPU defense adapt to it, to prevent it from working every time?

# 100 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Here's my breakdown, with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Madden Video #1 - "Jet Sweep" play out of the Wildcat

• Good - hike, fake handoff, transition to run by QB/HB
  • Bad - transition to normal running by #34
  • Bad - end of play by #34 (they need to continue hunkering down faking the run, or stop running sooner)
  • Bad - weird running animation for #65 (crab legs)

Madden Video #2 - "PA Jet Sweep" Wildcat w/ Pat White

• Good - hand off, tackling animations, even Ginn is happy at the end of the play!
  • Good - Game Speed looks good (is this replay or in game speed???)

Madden Video #3 - "Counter" play out of Wildcat formation
  • Good - Nice tackle animation and end of play
  • Bad - Block animation by #66 on #97 could have more life (just a little tap there then #97 turns around almost instantly)
  • Ugly - #97 has an almost instant 180 degree turn after a block (thought that was fixed?)

Madden Video #4 - "PA Jet Sweep" Wildcat w/ Pat White

• Good - Nice fake hand off and blocking
  • Bad - Someone should wake the cameramen up and let them know Miami scored, they seem oblivious
  • Ugly - CB to the left can be seen making an instant turn to go up field (more instant turns / missing animations)

The big things that caught my eyes were the instant turns. I saw this in the trailer, on the Fallon show, and now on these videos.
AWESOME Mr. Valdarez. Posts like this make me so happy...after working on this for so long it's really nice to get some positive feedback right along side the problems. I agree 100% with your evaluation, and to be frank there is a lot worse stuff going on outside the frame of those videos. I was actually really pissed off today (and called QA over to let them have it) because a ton of stuff is broken now (that wasn't before I left for New York) and they haven't bugged any of it.

Anyway, thanks for this. I wish all posts were like this.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.