Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The latest Madden NFL 10 blog is online. Letting the "Wildcat" Loose.

Quote:
"Throughout the season we have witnessed many different teams use variations of the Wildcat, but no one used it more effectively and extensively as the Miami Dolphins. In the Dolphins version of this offense, they placed running back Ronnie Brown at the “Quarterback” position. They then lined up running back Ricky Williams at slot receiver, and often times brought him in motion to either receive or fake a handoff from Brown. The Dolphins also use an unbalanced line by moving the left tackle over to the right side of the formation and lining him up next to the right tackle. The Tight End moves down to replace the left tackle and is still an eligible receiver because he is on the end of the line and uncovered (You’ll see a good video example of this below) by another receiver."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Valdarez @ 04/27/09 10:11 PM
Wow, these threads can get off topic fast.

Back to the topic at hand. Can we get a break down of the videos that were played at the normal game speed, and which ones were slowed down during the replay so we can get a better feel for the game speed?

# 142 Obelysk @ 04/27/09 10:17 PM
I wonder if the Dolphins will have that fake reverse pass with pennington. If not they should ad it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bbo...eature=related

# 143 KANE699 @ 04/27/09 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
It says that Kane just changed from a look of disgust to approval! He is now following Ian's status as well!
Yeah I checked it out to see what you guys were talking about, that is how I determined it was kind of creepy lol

# 144 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Thanks. The thing that worries me about those instant turns is that one of the items that I consistently see in Madden '09 by the defense when they make unrealistic INTs. There's an instant turn, followed by a jump in the air, and then a float to the ball for the pick. When I see the instant turns it makes me concerned that the issues in the defensive coverage might not be addressed properly, which would greatly affect the passing game.

On a side note, can you give us a break down of the videos that were played at the normal game speed, and which ones were slowed down during the replay so we can get a better feel for the game speed?
All of those were played at the 'default' game speed which is about 94%-95% of last year's speed.

# 145 Megatron2k7 @ 04/27/09 10:30 PM
Nice blog again..... Thank you Ian and co. I wasn't dissapointed with any of it really. Ian does such a good job of shedding light on what to expect from the vids, that I will keep my critical eyes in check until the day he says it's a vid that shows a more finished product.

I'm looking forward to stopping the Wildcat....... not using it on offense. I know a lot of my friends are going to be using this a lot. I can't wait to find some nice Defenses / shifts / audibles, to blow this baby up...!!! The frustration on my friends faces when they think they have unstoppable plays is priceless when they're shut down....LOL. Can't wait.

If the Packers start using it (which I doubt) then I'd use it a little. There is a slight chance, I guess....... I've seen highlights of WR Jordy Nelson throwing the ball quite a bit on trick plays back at Kansas State. He played QB in highschool and throws a good ball.

I've never heard any reports out of Green Bay about them even considering it.... so for now..... my focus will be on stopping it. It's gonna be a blast.

# 146 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
How quickly did the D adapt?
I was on all-pro, on the 3rd time in a row they shifted to the side I was running to, 4th time they brought an extra blitzer to that side, 5th time (plus every subsequent time) I was getting dropped in the backfield.

# 147 Lava @ 04/27/09 10:40 PM
What difficulty were those vids on Ian?

# 148 Obelysk @ 04/27/09 10:42 PM
For the Patriots can you guys add that direct snap to Faulk for the Patriots? We use it very often:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b69718

# 149 Droopy03 @ 04/27/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I was on all-pro, on the 3rd time in a row they shifted to the side I was running to, 4th time they brought an extra blitzer to that side, 5th time (plus every subsequent time) I was getting dropped in the backfield.
Ian are we going to do moe with the 3-4 defense this year? like will there be DE/LB coming out of the draft? Will the depth chart positions change for a 3-4 defense like instead of just MLB will ther be WILB (weak inside linebacker) or SILB (strong inside linebacker) and instead of DT will it be NT. Also instead of DE will it be LDT(for left sefensive tackle) and RDT (right defensive tackle). The reason why I say this is because ecah position has different attributes need to play the position.

Great work so far as well.

# 150 tennesseetitans @ 04/27/09 10:49 PM
First of all the videos, for the most part look great. It's scope was limited, but the 2nd video was perhaps the best I've ever seen Madden look.

However, I did find some minor issues with the final video, regarding the defense. The initial edge rusher ran the tackle well past Pat White. Maybe he was overpowered, but I'd like to try and seem him plant or at least reach out and grab jersey. Maybe if White had been in a sprint, his movement to get to the outside would've been more appropriate, but at some point, he has to collapse inside. Furthermore, he obviously has leverage (he has turned the tackles shoulders), and could easily for him to contain that lane. Even if he had bought the fake, he wouldn't have taken that outside angle.

I play a little defensive end (anywhere else in the front 7 for that matter) at my high school, and if I were to do that next to our sideline (run right past the ball carrier), I would get chewed out in a bad way. This is the NFL. I could see this happening occasionally in a high school game, but such unawarenss/lack of body control. would be very rare in the NFL. I'm sure any edge rusher at that level would have the awareness to at least make an effort to come back inside.

Finally, I felt that Harris did not make a sufficient effort to cut him off. He was easily in tackling range, but just sort of ran along side him. I'd like to see him try and cut him off instead of letting him get in untouched.

# 151 g2thecore @ 04/27/09 11:00 PM
Ian, just a side note.

Were those the new running animations that Simon worked on or were these the same as before? Just curious, thanks.

# 152 Valdarez @ 04/27/09 11:12 PM
Quote:
All of those were played at the 'default' game speed which is about 94%-95% of last year's speed.
Weird, the game speed looked good on all but #3 to me. For some reason it looked faster. Maybe the side to side movement?

# 153 Valdarez @ 04/27/09 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Ian, just a side note.

Were those the new running animations that Simon worked on or were these the same as before? Just curious, thanks.
Those were the same as before. You can especially tell by looking at the Guards movements when they pull.

# 154 kcarr @ 04/27/09 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
One more question, how fast will the CPU adjust to someone using wildcat?
This, and will they make on field adjustments as soon as they see the change to a quicker QB? They really should atleast react to it somewhat at this point especially if they are high awareness teams or teams with good leaders on the field. Sure they can't make the actual play call or personel adjustments but CPU teams with that real leader of a LB or safety or whatever should adjust somewhat.

# 155 Ian_Cummings @ 04/27/09 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Ian, just a side note.

The non-ballcarriers haven't been updated yet.

As for the ballcarrier, there are multiple 'run styles' in the game. The cycle used by Williams and Brown is the 'base' run style for relatively agile/fast players. The base style was tweaked quite a bit from last year by Simon - the requests came mainly from me (and you guys) - bringing the arm holding the ball in tighter, adding more shoulder movement, and adding more 'urgency'. This base style is what is used in the ANT videos.

Here's what it looked like last year FWIW:

EA SPORTS World: Madden 09 Video Highlight

The run animation that everyone hates (that Fitz was using in the trailer) is our 'sprinter' style. It was used for high agility / speed guys last year (often all WR's)...IMO it's the real culprit for the "stiffness" complaints:

EA SPORTS World: Madden 09 Video Highlight

Today I let Simon know that I want to actually just totally remove it (rather than spend time tuning it) and use the one that people like. Then we can focus on the rest and make them perfect. I mean people keep comparing us to 2k - as far as I can tell 2k8 only has one ballcarrier run cycle so if we have 3 or 4 we're still better than that and we can also make sure those are tuned to perfection.

# 156 Bump101 @ 04/27/09 11:31 PM
I haven't read the whole blog or this thread yet but it looks like the picture displaying the wildcat for madden is using a broadcast camera angle. Does this mean that madden 10 will have more then one camera view to choose from? If so, then the only thing that's missing from madden is better running or physics animation and the option to create a coach in franchise mode.

I had my doubts about madden 10, but with all the changes that's already been made and the possibility of having different camera angles, madden looks like it's finally going to shine on next gen. Way to go Ian company and keep up the great work!

# 157 Pnutt6 @ 04/27/09 11:36 PM
Quote:
The non-ballcarriers haven't been updated yet.

As for the ballcarrier, there are multiple 'run styles' in the game. The cycle used by Williams and Brown is the 'base' run style for relatively agile/fast players. The base style was tweaked quite a bit from last year by Simon - the requests came mainly from me (and you guys) - bringing the arm holding the ball in tighter, adding more shoulder movement, and adding more 'urgency'. This base style is what is used in the ANT videos.

Here's what it looked like last year FWIW:

The run animation that everyone hates (that Fitz was using in the trailer) is our 'sprinter' style. It was used for high agility / speed guys last year (often all WR's)...IMO it's the real culprit for the "stiffness" complaints:

Today I let Simon know that I want to actually just totally remove it (rather than spend time tuning it) and use the one that people like. Then we can focus on the rest and make them perfect. I mean people keep comparing us to 2k - as far as I can tell 2k8 only has one ballcarrier run cycle so if we have 3 or 4 we're still better than that and we can also make sure those are tuned to perfection.
Those are beautiful words, Ian, thanks again.

# 158 tennesseetitans @ 04/27/09 11:40 PM
Quote:

Good call. The first running style looks a lot more natural, fluid, and life like. The second one just doesn't look human, the legs never transfer energy, hence the stiff pulled hamstring waiting to happen look.

That said, I'd love to see shorter, choppier steps for the agility guys, which would lengthen (more naturally) in the open field.

# 159 Valdarez @ 04/27/09 11:41 PM
Quote:
I think that's a good idea removing that animation, the other animations look like a normal run already.

For the record, there are HBs that run different in APF2K8, remember my Freeman McNeil / Tony Nathan comparison? In addition, the strides vary when they run (not a lot, but a little). That's why I requested a randomness to the running style, I meant the stride length. That distinction might not have been very clear though in my post.

Will the bounce of the player be addressed in Madden's run animation? Will we get to see any sway in the player from left to right when they run? Is anim8tor still working on new run animations? Or was his work just to replace the sprinter animation?

# 160 KANE699 @ 04/27/09 11:45 PM
Good news on the sprinter animation!

I think the better question is though, why did Marion Barber have the sprinter animation assigned to him?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.