Home
Madden 2010 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"For the first time in series history, when the ball hits the ground, it doesn't just go to the guy who randomly touches it. In "Madden NFL 10," players will pile on the ball, and gamers will need to pound the button that is shown on the screen to try to wrestle away the rock. As the button commands change on the screen, the ball can switch hands numerous times until the refs actually dig through the bodies and declare a winner.

"That sounds a lot more fun than being in a real pile," Brown says, laughing. "Guys will do just about anything to get that ball."

But the fumble pile isn't the only new addition to "Madden NFL 10," and ESPN sat down with the game's senior producer, Phil Frazier, to get all the dirt on the new game. Here are the five things you need to know about "Madden NFL 10" ..."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
This whole phrase is a little disturbing to me. This means the refs are really in the way. You rarely see a ref knocked down in a NFL game, but he's saying you rarely DON'T see it happen in Madden 10. Also, he says the ref won't stop your progress if you run into him, but I hope he at least slows down your progress. The refs are part of the field. They are not just there for show. They shouldn't be that way for the game either.
Yeah that stood out to me as well... I probably see 2 refs tops knocked down in a game per year! ... so to say taht you'll have a tough time not knocking one down per game is a bit over the top... but it sounds like they don't slow you down at all, so I guess that's ok...

Also on the rumble thing... not everyone has controllers that rumble, so that sounds like an advantage to the people with more $$$.

Either way, I hope we get an option to turn taht off, cause personally I hate rumbling.

# 42 Candyman5 @ 04/28/09 03:30 PM
Hmmm, pro players will really stand out huh? *Drools at the Vikings Def of Line and Adrian*. Adrian should be the highest rated running back in the game.

# 43 kwpit79 @ 04/28/09 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Yeah I was worried about this as well. I KNOW I can't button mash as fast as one of my boys, so that means that when we play he'll always win these types of situations. They should make it timed based ala God of War and Resident Evil. Have a random pattern of buttons pop up and whoever responds the fastest wins the fumble. I also don't like the idea of having a meter. It kinds kills the drama of it all.
Good points all around. I didn't comment on this earlier either as I'm not sure how it will work. But if it's simply based on button mashes I'll lose every time. And that will be frustrating. That part doesn't seem very sim, but we'll see.

# 44 masterkembo @ 04/28/09 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Ok, so the button mashing thing is about the only let down in this entire article. I'm not sure how I really feel about it, but definitely not good.

Kickers on the sideline warming up - awesome
Pro-tak - unbelievable
QB Avoidance - awesome (I think Ian was asking about this a year or two ago, about how to implement it - controller shaking sounds great)
I agree - I'm not really much of a button masher. Oh well, most things sound great.

# 45 green94 @ 04/28/09 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
Hmmm, pro players will really stand out huh? *Drools at the Vikings Def of Line and Adrian*. Adrian should be the highest rated running back in the game.
And can you imagine if every team plays like their real life counterparts...

IE. Vikings will shove the ball down your throat ALL game long!

# 46 BezO @ 04/28/09 03:35 PM
So they kept the meter for the fumble pile ups? That's too bad. I don't understand why they have these great looking pile ups that you can't look at because you're concentrating on which button to mash & which way the meter is pointing.

For the rest of it, if they work out the kinks, what a game.

# 47 Maelstrom-XIII @ 04/28/09 03:37 PM
I remain cautiously optimistic about the pileups. I hope they work out well...with respect to the refs who seem to always be in the way, but don't hinder progress...I'd actually rather have them not hinder my progress if they can't stay out of my way...it beats having the ref tackle me for the defense (like that QB in college...)

# 48 STLRams @ 04/28/09 03:37 PM
By reading the article I got a feeling that the dog piles on the ball after a fumble wont be buttons smashing, it will probably be button timing based, like The Bourne Identity game and others. God this game has me so excited to play it, I haven't felt this way about a madden game in years. Honestly with all of the info and features so far, there's not one that I don't like or have a negative view of. I notice here and there Ian, and EA having been dropping hints about the presentation in Madden10, if the presentation is atleast up to NFL2K5/NBA2K9 standards, Madden will take up a good part of my off days at work like it did when I was younger. Great article, its really hard for me to hate on Madden and there devs team at this point.

# 49 Badboy49er @ 04/28/09 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'll say it this way: With Pro-tak, they have a piece of tech that can leave 2k5 and 2k8 in the dust. The key word is "can." It's going to depend on how much polish they can give to it. Hopefully, they will have all the time they need.
Fair enough, so basically with some time and polish to mature the tech it should be great.
The question now is IF they can do that THIS year.

I really hope so

# 50 SoxFan01605 @ 04/28/09 03:40 PM
I will say that, while I'm not sure at all on the quality of the title being released, this is the first time I've looked at next gen Madden features and felt that things could be truly new.

For that, Ian and the gang deserve my respect. Now, I won't dive into just how much respect they deserve until the game is out and reveals how it actually plays, but the direction seems to finally be there and is encouraging to say the least.

# 51 Smoke316 @ 04/28/09 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
Didn't remember reading about a QB avoidance maneuver. Is that a new feature?

I'm a little nervous I'll be able to avoid sacks a little too easily while controlling Big Ben. I hope it's very subtle and hardly ever works.

Also, I like that the controller vibrates before you get hit, giving you a sense of the rush, but I'm wondering if it will be confusing. Will I look down at my QB thinking I got sacked when in reality I was just under pressure?

Gotta see how this works before commenting further.

Whatever it is im sure well get used to it.. it could be a subtle vibration as the pocket collapses and builds up to a long vibration.. so once u start to get a sense of it ulll kno the difference.. the challenging part is that ull still have to peek to see where the rush is coming from so you can flick the controller in the right direction.. or jus do it n take and hope it is the right direction.. i cant wait

# 52 Candyman5 @ 04/28/09 03:42 PM
The meter thing sounds ********...Hopefully you can turn that off.

# 53 BlyGilmore @ 04/28/09 03:42 PM
Not sure why this is live since its supposed to be embargoed until tomorrow. But then again I guess ESPN can do what it wants lol.

Look for OS's impressions early tomorrow morning.

# 54 MelMan1486 @ 04/28/09 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
And can you imagine if every team plays like their real life counterparts...

IE. Vikings will shove the ball down your throat ALL game long!
LOL I hope they don't play like their exact counterparts because I don't need my underperforming Bills to underperform online.

# 55 Smoke316 @ 04/28/09 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
By reading the article I got a feeling that the dog piles on the ball after a fumble wont be buttons smashing, it will probably be button timing based, like The Bourne Identity game and others. God this game has me so excited to play it, I haven't felt this way about a madden game in years. Honestly with all of the info and features so far, there's not one that I don't like or have a negative view of. I notice here and there Ian, and EA having been dropping hints about the presentation in Madden10, if the presentation is atleast up to NFL2K5/NBA2K9 standards, Madden will take up a good part of my off days at work like it did when I was younger. Great article, its really hard for me to hate on Madden and there devs team at this point.
couldnt have said it any better

# 56 green94 @ 04/28/09 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMan1486
LOL I hope they don't play like their exact counterparts because I don't need my underperforming Bills to underperform online.
I meant more in terms of play calling... run vs. pass / man vs. zone.

But I hear ya

# 57 BezO @ 04/28/09 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
By reading the article I got a feeling that the dog piles on the ball after a fumble wont be buttons smashing, it will probably be button timing based...
It's mash all the way. But there was concern for turbo controller users, so the button you have to mash changes several times.

I personally don't mind the mashing. It seems appropriate for pile ups. But the meter is VERY distracting. I couldn't enjoy the pile up since I had to watch for the button changes & meter.

# 58 Smoke316 @ 04/28/09 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMan1486
lol yea i think its more run vs pass type stuff.. bills will be intersting this yr..especially in a franchise with owens and evans.. if u canget them the ball with osme consistency whoever u start at qb should get a nice bump in his overall

# 59 callmetaternuts @ 04/28/09 03:52 PM
Pro-Tak sounds pretty dang cool

The QB Avoidance sounds cool and useful, but dont know until we try it out. I dont want it to be over successful and this quote has me a bit worried

Quote:
When they hit that stick during pressure, they will typically have success the first time
Not sure how i feel about that.

Wildcat is going to be great.

The disparity in ratings, i think, will be one of the best features added. Finally our top guys will feel like studs and it will make drafting that 80+ rookie or finding a free agent bargain with a good rating wortwhile.

# 60 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
It's mash all the way. But there was concern for turbo controller users, so the button you have to mash changes several times.

I personally don't mind the mashing. It seems appropriate for pile ups. But the meter is VERY distracting. I couldn't enjoy the pile up since I had to watch for the button changes & meter.
Did you guys vocalize this to them? Seems strange that they would ignore you and put the meter up anyway...

The meter seems to not only be distracting from what you guys have said but it also kills any excitement when you know what the ref is going to signal... at least that is what it sounds like to me.

I still don't understand why they can't let ratings take care of it... seems much better.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.