Home
Madden 2010 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"For the first time in series history, when the ball hits the ground, it doesn't just go to the guy who randomly touches it. In "Madden NFL 10," players will pile on the ball, and gamers will need to pound the button that is shown on the screen to try to wrestle away the rock. As the button commands change on the screen, the ball can switch hands numerous times until the refs actually dig through the bodies and declare a winner.

"That sounds a lot more fun than being in a real pile," Brown says, laughing. "Guys will do just about anything to get that ball."

But the fumble pile isn't the only new addition to "Madden NFL 10," and ESPN sat down with the game's senior producer, Phil Frazier, to get all the dirt on the new game. Here are the five things you need to know about "Madden NFL 10" ..."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I am actually quite surprised they released this (and that Phil told it to them like fact). Truth is we still don't know how it's going to work.

I need to decide basically this week...but I am definitely not crazy about the meter.
How completely unrealistic would it be for us to see a video of this pileup in action? Maybe one of us will have an eureka moment and come up with the perfect way to handle it all... its just much harder to come up with ideas when you haven't actually seen something.

# 82 Jamin23 @ 04/28/09 04:18 PM
I love everyone of you madden developers. oooops!!

# 83 Jamin23 @ 04/28/09 04:21 PM
Is there anyway I can get the game early? I'll even give you $70.

# 84 SteelerSpartan @ 04/28/09 04:21 PM
Love the Qb avoidance B-Roeth hopefully will finally be provided with his greatest strength in a realistic fashion

-A touch of input here if I may....Ben shakes guys differently then say a Romo who dances more. B-Roeth uses his strength more to shrug the guys off and hardly ever does one man take him down. I hope the two styles are distinguishable

I also agree that the meter needs to go or have an option to turn it off some how. This sounds a lot like the problem people had with the Blue Celebration Zones.

# 85 cedwebb @ 04/28/09 04:21 PM
That Pro-Tak sounds very very cool

I can't wait to see how the Williams Wall will be able to push o-lines around, then come flying around the corner with J. Allen sacking the QB and sending that vibrating controller up someones a@@! Only to see his rodeo style celebration. Outstanding fellas....Outstanding!

I just realized this post gets wierder and wierder as it goes

# 86 Droopy03 @ 04/28/09 04:22 PM
THAT IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

# 87 SouthernBrick @ 04/28/09 04:22 PM
Quote:
I am actually quite surprised they released this (and that Phil told it to them like fact). Truth is we still don't know how it's going to work.

I need to decide basically this week...but I am definitely not crazy about the meter.
I don't think it needs to be scraped. Just have th meter for the players who play on rookie and pro. Have it a option for All-pro and All-Madden or turn it off completely.

Is that possible Ian?

# 88 Smoke316 @ 04/28/09 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
Is there anyway I can get the game early? I'll even give you $70.
LOL if it were that easy

# 89 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
I don't think it needs to be scraped. Just have th meter for the players who play on rookie and pro. Have it a option for All-pro and All-Madden or turn it off completely.

Is that possible Ian?
You can't forget the on-line community on this one...that's really the one that counts, because this really only comes into play in Human vs Human.

But you bring up a good point in a sense... what happens when you play teh CPU? Are you still button mashing... vs the CPU?

# 90 Big_Mig_11 @ 04/28/09 04:25 PM
Do the 9ers have a QB problem?? huh...

I hope they dont screw Shaun Hill Over. He is not Elite, but he is average with good accuracy. Maybe a 75 or 76.

# 91 Valdarez @ 04/28/09 04:25 PM
Nice read, all of the features look good. Lets see if the playability matches the readability.

# 92 Candyman5 @ 04/28/09 04:26 PM
I say you either have another Rating for Pile up fumble and you factor in who got on the ball first, how many people from each team is on the ball, etc. Like if there are 2 lions and 4 Greenbay players on the ball, Greenbay has a beter chance at getting the ball. But if a lions player jumps on the ball first, they get a added percentage. etc. It is probably to complex to do it that way though.

BTW ADD THIS ACHIEVEMENT/TROPHY:
Your from OS-Change your sliders 10 times

LOL.

# 93 JohnDoe8865 @ 04/28/09 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
You can't forget the on-line community on this one...that's really the one that counts, because this really only comes into play in Human vs Human.

But you bring up a good point in a sense... what happens when you play teh CPU? Are you still button mashing... vs the CPU?
The whole time I've read about this, that is the sense I've gotten. The button and meter are for vs CPU games the way I read it. Now I guess it is for online too, but the major problem most of the guys have is seeing a meter in front of the pileup in a hum vs cpu game.

# 94 Smoke316 @ 04/28/09 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill

good point...although i still like the idea i would hope the cpu wouldnt simply win all of them...interresting..dont scrap the idea though

# 95 adembroski @ 04/28/09 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Exactly - I would love to see the pileup and then have some sort of rating determine the outcome. Button mashing seems to take away from everything that Ian and his team have been striding towards as far as the Sim aspect is concerned. Maybe they were throwing the arcade people a bone?
I don't think so... I think it was more "we want to give the user control in as many situations as possible" and this just happened to seem "arcady" in the way it was executed. I'd love to roast 'em over it, but the fact is, I can't think of a better way save getting rid of the meter. Otherwise, it's still a button masher regardless. I like they gave us control, I'm not going to argue with that. It'll create some tense moments, but my argument is they're that much more tense if we've gotta wait for the ref to come in and unpile the players and make a signal.

# 96 Danimal @ 04/28/09 04:33 PM
Quote:

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion but why can't it be an option in the settings? Is it that there are no ratings to support who would recover the fumble if it wasn't button based?

# 97 green94 @ 04/28/09 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I don't think so... I think it was more "we want to give the user control in as many situations as possible" and this just happened to seem "arcady" in the way it was executed. I'd love to roast 'em over it, but the fact is, I can't think of a better way save getting rid of the meter. Otherwise, it's still a button masher regardless. I like they gave us control, I'm not going to argue with that. It'll create some tense moments, but my argument is they're that much more tense if we've gotta wait for the ref to come in and unpile the players and make a signal.
Fair enough and good points.

# 98 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
I say you either have another Rating for Pile up fumble and you factor in who got on the ball first, how many people from each team is on the ball, etc. Like if there are 2 lions and 4 Greenbay players on the ball, Greenbay has a beter chance at getting the ball. But if a lions player jumps on the ball first, they get a added percentage. etc. It is probably to complex to do it that way though.
This would be my way of doing it... but it might be too complex. I'm all for ratings determining the outcome... much more than mashing buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
The whole time I've read about this, that is the sense I've gotten. The button and meter are for vs CPU games the way I read it. Now I guess it is for online too, but the major problem most of the guys have is seeing a meter in front of the pileup in a hum vs cpu game.
Oh... hmm... interesting. I never think of a Human vs CPU game, since I never play them, so I'm always in the Human vs Human frame of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
The meter should not be there, I don't think many can argue against that, it really ruins any type of suspense. I'm not sure how much control I really have though over button mashing, and it really puts the less dexterous people out there at a huge disadvantage when these types of pileups do occur.

# 99 ewto16 @ 04/28/09 04:40 PM
Quote:

Sounds like Phil needs to be taken out behind the woodshed...

Please remove the meter or make it only appear on the lower levels. Remember the idea was to streamline the presentation and eliminate all the clutter on the screen.

I'll assume you already got 100 twitter messages on this and won't send you one as well.

# 100 The Art Shell Face @ 04/28/09 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
How soon does the controller start to shake when a defender approaches the QB? Is it based on your awareness rating?

Elusive QB's should get the "warning" shakes sooner then the statue QB's, IMO.
That's actually a brilliant idea, and would lend some incentive to having a QB with higher awareness.

If Ian posts about this at some point, I'll help hammer this suggestion to him. I really like it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.