Home
Madden 2010 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"For the first time in series history, when the ball hits the ground, it doesn't just go to the guy who randomly touches it. In "Madden NFL 10," players will pile on the ball, and gamers will need to pound the button that is shown on the screen to try to wrestle away the rock. As the button commands change on the screen, the ball can switch hands numerous times until the refs actually dig through the bodies and declare a winner.

"That sounds a lot more fun than being in a real pile," Brown says, laughing. "Guys will do just about anything to get that ball."

But the fumble pile isn't the only new addition to "Madden NFL 10," and ESPN sat down with the game's senior producer, Phil Frazier, to get all the dirt on the new game. Here are the five things you need to know about "Madden NFL 10" ..."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 SouthernBrick @ 04/28/09 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
You can't forget the on-line community on this one...that's really the one that counts, because this really only comes into play in Human vs Human.

But you bring up a good point in a sense... what happens when you play teh CPU? Are you still button mashing... vs the CPU?
Doesn't whatever you play rookie or all madden with the cpu translate over to online??? Like say you play rookie theres going to be more art on the players like, the names, elusivness symbol or the bull under a DT.

I don't see any of that on all-pro or all-madden online or offline. I'm just talking about the meter not the button mashing part. Although I not fond of the mashing, it makes sense.

I hope the meter will be turned off for all-pro or all-madden and leave the suspense to the hardcore and let the casuals and less experienced have the real drama of this feature.

# 102 dano562003 @ 04/28/09 04:41 PM
Sounds real good so far. Can't wait to test drive this game.

# 103 BezO @ 04/28/09 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I am actually quite surprised they released this (and that Phil told it to them like fact). Truth is we still don't know how it's going to work.

I need to decide basically this week...but I am definitely not crazy about the meter.
Ian,

This almost seems like a no brainer. Let us watch the fight. The pile ups look too good to be watching for button changes and a meter.

And remember, on Sundays, most of the time you don't know who revovered the fumble until the ref gets to the bottom of the pile.

# 104 ShimSham @ 04/28/09 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Unless they create a 'Hustle' rating and take Adembroskie's suggestion, I don't see this being a good thing for the Sim Nazis.
I'd personally like to see a rating for..

Hustle
Motor
Plays with Heart
Makes the players around him better
Intangibles
Blue collar
Relentless

And all those other cheesy attributes the media tries to assign to players.

I'm being facetious by the way.

# 105 ghostlight85 @ 04/28/09 04:43 PM
I feel like this thread is a dog pile and we are all mashing the button to remove the meter, and I don't see anyone mashing to keep it.

The preview was nice, though it seems to have been released before EA intended for it to be.

# 106 RGiles36 @ 04/28/09 04:44 PM
Just to speak from a different point of view, I'm not one of the guys who despises meters. I can live with them as long as there aren't too many and they aren't obtrusive. Unfortunately, the meter that would occasionally pop up during the 'fight for fumble' (the meter wasn't coming up consistently for me in the alpha) was distracting. If it was something smaller that pops out of the score hub, I'd be ok with it.

The drawback to the meter though is like AJ said down in Orlando, all of the suspense is gone b/c you know what the ref's call is going to be. I'm in the minority I bet, but I'd be content with giving up control in these instances if it meant more suspense for the user.

# 107 mikeveli20 @ 04/28/09 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
I don't think it needs to be scraped. Just have th meter for the players who play on rookie and pro. Have it a option for All-pro and All-Madden or turn it off completely.

Is that possible Ian?
This is probably the best route to go. Have it on by default for Rookie and Pro, and off by default for All-pro and All-Madden with the option to turn it on/off for any difficulty level.

I also like the ideas of ratings and other factors playing a roll in who comes up with the fumble. I only play human vs. cpu games and I'd say I'm a pretty good/very good button masher so it would be pretty unrealistic if I was to win the fumble every time. Especially if it's my punter who falls on the ball along with 6 defensive players from the other team, there should be a very small chance that he comes up with that ball even if the user is the greatest button masher alive.

# 108 CapnKill @ 04/28/09 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
Doesn't whatever you play rookie or all madden with the cpu translate over to online??? Like say you play rookie theres going to be more art on the players like, the names, elusivness symbol or the bull under a DT.

I don't see any of that on all-pro or all-madden online or offline. I'm just talking about the meter not the button mashing part. Although I not fond of the mashing, it makes sense.

I hope the meter will be turned off for all-pro or all-madden and leave the suspense to the hardcore and let the casuals and less experienced have the real drama of this feature.
Oh sure... but on-line ranked is All Pro... although I think they should also bring back All-Madden Hard Core Ranked like they had in the PS2, lots of people were screaming for that last year.

# 109 RGiles36 @ 04/28/09 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Art Shell Face
That's actually a brilliant idea, and would lend some incentive to having a QB with higher awareness.

If Ian posts about this at some point, I'll help hammer this suggestion to him. I really like it.
Actually, on Community Day, the vibration was the same for every QB and for good reason. Each time they've had the debate over the implementation of this feature over the past couple years, it has gotten left out. Why? My understanding is that most everyone bumps heads as to whether the GREAT QB's should get an advance warning to simulate awareness or should they get less vibration to simulate how calm they are in the pocket. People never can agree on that, so they scrapped all the technicalities, and made it the same for each QB.

I don't know if that's since changed, but I think they made the right decision to just get it in the game.

# 110 Bgamer90 @ 04/28/09 04:51 PM
I 100% agree with removing the meter.

Good point about CPU in the fight for fumbles.

Maybe they could tell you how many players there are fighting for the ball. Have like a caption at the corner saying " 3 vs. 4" , "4 vs. 6", etc. (how ever many players are fighting to get the ball)

Don't tell the user how many players on a certain team are fighting for the ball. Just let him see how many players there are and let him guess whether or not he should press the button harder (since if there are more players of a certain team trying to get the ball, the better chance that team should have in getting the ball back).

The ref removing the players will give a clue to the user how many players there were on each team fighting for the fumble and then the user can determine for themselves whether they should have pressed the button faster before the ref is done removing all the players from the pile.

This would also be good for multiplayer games too imo. What do you guys think?

# 111 ryby6969 @ 04/28/09 05:01 PM
Haven't seen this anywhere, but I am wondering if this new Pro-Tech technology is in Ncaa this year? I know most of the other new changes have made it to ncaa, but haven't seen if this has. Thanks in advance.

# 112 tjizzle @ 04/28/09 05:02 PM
If the theme of this years game is if you see it on Sundays see it in madden then the meter definitely has to go, because obviously nobody sees a meter when the players are fighting for the ball in a fumble pile up. I also hope that it doesn't happen all that often, especially since it seems as though some of the guys that played it have had mixed results.

# 113 SteelerSpartan @ 04/28/09 05:06 PM
Our last line of defense can be to turn down the fumbles with sliders if this is anything more than a minor problem(For Off-Line of course)

# 114 Nature_Boy @ 04/28/09 05:15 PM
Everything sounds great except for the fumble meter. Hopefully, this doesn't make it into the game. Can't wait until August 14th!

# 115 ewto16 @ 04/28/09 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryby6969
Haven't seen this anywhere, but I am wondering if this new Pro-Tech technology is in Ncaa this year? I know most of the other new changes have made it to ncaa, but haven't seen if this has. Thanks in advance.
Nope, Madden only. It will be in NCAA 11.

# 116 jimbo1215 @ 04/28/09 05:19 PM
take the meter out. plain and simple. although im just as sim as most of you the button mashing is part of a fun factor you need in all video games regardless if they re sports sims so that makes sense but like everyone said the meter kills the suspense

# 117 eaglesfan27 @ 04/28/09 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Actually, on Community Day, the vibration was the same for every QB and for good reason. Each time they've had the debate over the implementation of this feature over the past couple years, it has gotten left out. Why? My understanding is that most everyone bumps heads as to whether the GREAT QB's should get an advance warning to simulate awareness or should they get less vibration to simulate how calm they are in the pocket. People never can agree on that, so they scrapped all the technicalities, and made it the same for each QB.

I don't know if that's since changed, but I think they made the right decision to just get it in the game.
I'm glad it is in the game, but this is really a great opportunity to make awareness matter for QB's. Hopefully, they will use the awareness rating to adjust how much warning/when the warning is given.

# 118 g2thecore @ 04/28/09 05:33 PM
Awesome read! I'm very happy to hear about the cutscene for the fumble pile ups. I'm curious to see how the button mash mini game works out. I know a lot of people won't like that.

I'm very curious to know what the new Dynasty features are. I can't wait til they start talking about features in Franchise mode. Overall, this was a pretty informative read. Good find OP!

# 119 matelee @ 04/28/09 05:35 PM
awesome! can't wait!!

# 120 ChicagoChris @ 04/28/09 05:41 PM
Isn't it a little early to 'hate on' the fumble meter when no one has seen it yet alone heard ALL of the details surrounding it?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.