Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mvb34 @ 04/29/09 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.
What would be the option for online play?

# 42 PantherBeast_OS @ 04/29/09 10:41 PM
Ian good job on the options you have given us to look at. I would choose the one where you have the option turn the button mashing and let the computer decide. Because sooner are later after smashing the buttons alot your controller wears out so much faster. But I love the Idea.

# 43 CzecHitYou @ 04/29/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
What would be the option for online play?
My question exactly..I think it could be done online, but what do you plan on doing for online Ian?

# 44 kehlis @ 04/29/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I am not saying this to come off as being a smart-alec.

You are making these decisions without most of us having seen x, y, z features in actual motion in a vid. If vids of points 1-6 you made are available somewhere online then sorry for my ignorance.

You are changing things/tweaking things based on who's feedback ?

Alot of people are saying yea or nea to stuff they have not actually seen in action as it will be when they are playing it.
How can any of us really judge until we have seen ? We hear talk of how x features works from yall which creates 1 million posters making a comment on something they have formed in the realm of imagination because they have not actually seen it in action.

Would it not be better if we see what you are doing before your final decision on it, than you showing a vid 2 months from now and it too late to make any changes to your final decision, and everyone is going wtf to the final decision ?(note: not saying its gonna necessarily be a wtf reaction....but just in case ...)

Sometimes a feature sounds good/bad when people talk about it, but until its seen how it actually is done changes opinions one way or the other.

If showing more vids aint possible then ignore this post.
Basically he took the feedback and came up with a solution that makes everybody happy and satisfies everyone's concerns.

What exactly is the problem with that whether or not we have seen videos?

# 45 Exonerated @ 04/29/09 10:43 PM
It has be on online imo.

I don't really want to lose control online and let cpu decide.

I want user control. And a mash battle it is. Some people can mash. Some people can't. Its just the way it is. You can't teach speed. And you can't teach mash.

# 46 bigwill33 @ 04/29/09 10:43 PM
Sounds like a happy median for all parties involved. Good work, looking forward to having this in now.

By the way, and this is not meant to sound like I am sucking up, I think most of EA knows me too well to even think I am capable of that BUT, I absolutely loved the way the pocket took form in the one video! That is how football should work. Kudos given where it is due my friends.

# 47 CzecHitYou @ 04/29/09 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Ian good job on the options you have given us to look at. I would choose the one where you have the option turn the button mashing and let the computer decide. Because sooner are later after smashing the buttons alot your controller wears out so much faster. But I love the Idea.
But remember, this pileup would only happen say once a 20 minute game (or at least that is what I have come to understand) so I wouldn't be worried about the controller wearing out..

# 48 Quickondastickz @ 04/29/09 10:44 PM
So how will it work online? I mean which one will it be for online since ranked games can't be customized.

# 49 CzecHitYou @ 04/29/09 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
I want user control. And a mash battle it is. Some people can mash. Some people can't. Its just the way it is. You can't teach speed. And you can't teach mash.
Haha, sounds like a coach filled with heart giving a speech to his team or something.
Nice post, and I agree.

# 50 The Man 451 @ 04/29/09 10:46 PM
I like. Great way to please everyone... at least most everyone. ha.

# 51 Exonerated @ 04/29/09 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzecHitYou
Haha, sounds like a coach filled with heart giving a speech to his team or something.
Nice post, and I agree.
lol. I just want to be mashing away and talking trash during the minigame.

Like Who wants its more!?!!? I ****ing want it more lol.

# 52 XtremeDunkz @ 04/29/09 10:46 PM
Ian if you can make late changes to this meter i'm sure you can make a late change to do something, anything, about field goals!

# 53 Tyrant8RDFL @ 04/29/09 10:49 PM
I like this a lot, and should be a blast when your having a tournament in your house with all of your friends watching.

Wow it's been a while since we had a tournament together, but Madden 10 is shaping up to be something special, so I can see us having tournaments again. SWEET!!!

# 54 Cryolemon @ 04/29/09 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
It has be on online imo.

I don't really want to lose control online and let cpu decide.

*waits for a comment about turbo controllers*

# 55 bang911 @ 04/29/09 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I am not saying this to come off as being a smart-alec.

You are making these decisions without most of us having seen x, y, z features in actual motion in a vid. If vids of points 1-6 you made are available somewhere online then sorry for my ignorance.

You are changing things/tweaking things based on who's feedback ?

Alot of people are saying yea or nea to stuff they have not actually seen in action as it will be when they are playing it.
How can any of us really judge until we have seen ? We hear talk of how x features works from yall which creates 1 million posters making a comment on something they have formed in the realm of imagination because they have not actually seen it in action.

Would it not be better if we see what you are doing before your final decision on it, than you showing a vid 2 months from now and it too late to make any changes to your final decision, and everyone is going wtf to the final decision ?(note: not saying its gonna necessarily be a wtf reaction....but just in case ...)

Sometimes a feature sounds good/bad when people talk about it, but until its seen how it actually is done changes opinions one way or the other.

If showing more vids aint possible then ignore this post.
But the feature's in game use has not been completed. At least that is what it looked like in the IGN.com feature. I don't think Ian can show us any video that would do this feature justice.

# 56 Exonerated @ 04/29/09 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
*waits for a comment about turbo controllers*
The majority shouldn't suffer for some dudes with $100 controllers. LIke less than 1% of people have em.

As the same for guys without widescreen TVs. We shouldn't suffer for that either but thats a different story.

# 57 rsoxguy12 @ 04/29/09 11:03 PM
Thanks Ian!

# 58 CLEAR17 @ 04/29/09 11:07 PM
sounds good

# 59 Danimal @ 04/29/09 11:08 PM
Brilliant!

# 60 deltroy @ 04/29/09 11:09 PM
Amen brother great job as always!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.