Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Candyman5 @ 04/30/09 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.
OMG, Thank you Ian! The option to turn off the Button Mashing thing is great.

# 122 Lava @ 04/30/09 06:05 PM
Thanks for the update Ian, very promising!

# 123 SoxFan01605 @ 04/30/09 06:37 PM
Ian, I must say, my respect of how you handle yourself, your product, and our input increases almost everytime you post a "fix" or update. Well done...excellent balance of options, IMO.

# 124 viewtifuljoe71 @ 04/30/09 08:18 PM
Quote:
WOW!

We have some awesome programmers here...the following have already been fixed and checked in:

Excellent!! Super fast great job!! Now if we could just see those new running animations....

# 125 radatdude2 @ 04/30/09 08:53 PM
Quote:
WOW!

We have some awesome programmers here...the following have already been fixed and checked in:

Word like that !!!!! you guys are the iiishh

# 126 Smoke316 @ 04/30/09 09:26 PM
Ian's amazin'...so amazin'

# 127 lgxjames @ 04/30/09 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
Ian's amazin'...so amazin'
2nd

# 128 Nza @ 04/30/09 10:46 PM
Simply phenomenal Ian. To go from announced feature, to community feedback, to changed/adding to said feature in this timeframe is sensational. Having simmed piles is going to be awesome - I'm not a button mashing/minigame fan.

Not sure if you're responding in here but any possibility the same could be done for kicking? I'm not a fan of it, and it is inherently flawed from a CPU vs Human balance standpoint as Humans, no matter the mechanism, will always eventually get better at it, while the CPU remains the same. If kicks and punts for Human teams could be simulated much like how the CPU will take control of your defender if you don't touch the controlpad, then that would be great IMO. Don't have to change a thing for those who do like to kick and punt manually, it could be an option somewhere that is disabled by default.

# 129 MikeMcMahon @ 04/30/09 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
2nd
Motion is seconded. Time to vote.
MikeMcMahon: AYE!

# 130 SouthernBrick @ 05/01/09 12:03 AM
Quote:
WOW!

Nice.

# 131 Cast1e @ 05/01/09 05:16 AM
Ian, could you please locate the nearest PS3 or XBox 360 Controller? I have some input I hope is valuable. Just mash the same button over and over again. Do it for about 20 seconds (or however long the pileup lasts). I've played games with single-button mashers, and I honestly HATE THEM. Not only do they hurt your fingers, but they allow people with money to use turbo. There is another way with less button-mashing pain and less exploiting though:

Use 3 button combinations. It is impossible to sync up a 3 button combination on a turbo-controller, and it hurts your fingers less. Since there are 4 buttons, your fingers can make a triangle shape, which will be a lot less painful than UPDOWNUPDOWNUPDOWN.

Or you could just go all out and do the 4 button combination.

# 132 TJdaSportsGuy @ 05/01/09 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
BUT, I absolutely loved the way the pocket took form in the one video! That is how football should work. Kudos given where it is due my friends.
Where are you guys seeing these videos, lol? I never realized having a kid would take me so far out of the loop that I can't locate a simple preview video of Madden!

# 133 quagga @ 05/01/09 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Where are you guys seeing these videos, lol? I never realized having a kid would take me so far out of the loop that I can't locate a simple preview video of Madden!
I believe they are referring to these videos posted on IGN on the 29th of April.

# 134 TJdaSportsGuy @ 05/01/09 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagga
I believe they are referring to these videos posted on IGN on the 29th of April.
Link no worky.

# 135 RGiles36 @ 05/01/09 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast1e
Ian, could you please locate the nearest PS3 or XBox 360 Controller? I have some input I hope is valuable. Just mash the same button over and over again. Do it for about 20 seconds (or however long the pileup lasts). I've played games with single-button mashers, and I honestly HATE THEM. Not only do they hurt your fingers, but they allow people with money to use turbo. There is another way with less button-mashing pain and less exploiting though:

Use 3 button combinations. It is impossible to sync up a 3 button combination on a turbo-controller, and it hurts your fingers less. Since there are 4 buttons, your fingers can make a triangle shape, which will be a lot less painful than UPDOWNUPDOWNUPDOWN.

Or you could just go all out and do the 4 button combination.
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, but you are aware you're not mashing the same button the entire time during the cutscene, right? The buttons change.

# 136 Cryolemon @ 05/01/09 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMahon
Motion is seconded. Time to vote.
MikeMcMahon: AYE!
AYE!

# 137 Danimal @ 05/01/09 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, but you are aware you're not mashing the same button the entire time during the cutscene, right? The buttons change.
That was a nice response. I would of said to him you obviously didn't read anything that has been posted on this have you. That's why I'm grumpy.

# 138 TheWatcher @ 05/01/09 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
great job, those still asking for more give it a rest. They gave us this great idea, people had their complaints, Ian and the boys addressed them and worked on making those people happy as well. Stop getting so greedy.
Yeah, he's definitely getting it done. No question about it.

# 139 DMczaf @ 05/01/09 11:44 AM
Quote:
WOW!

Can we get a "Giving them the Business" achievement/trophy after winning 20 fumble fights?

# 140 Candyman5 @ 05/01/09 04:04 PM
Quote:
Umm Ian, Could you answer one question for me though if you could? You said your team has incorperated this into the game now, could ya explain how the CPU logic works for me? Like is it a percentage problem depending on how many of each team in on the Fumble, or is it based on Ratings? Or is it just a Random 50-50 thing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.