Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. This time Ian takes a deeper look into PRO-TAK.

Quote:
"Welcome back to another Monday blog Madden fans! Talk about an eventful couple of weeks in Madden-land…our first Season Preview event on Thursday 4/24, our cover athletes revealed on Friday 4/25 (including a cool guest appearance by Larry Fitzgerald on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon), the NFL Draft, and last week we even released a blog on the Wildcat formation. We’re hard at work trying to finish the game while still balancing our media release schedule, so with this week’s blog, it seemed like a good opportunity to dive deeper into one of our most important gameplay features for the year: PRO-TAK."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Ian_Cummings @ 05/04/09 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
That ProTak looks really neat and is a huge leap forward for Madden. It's the best addition to Madden I have seen since the HitStick was introduced.

That Raven's video looks a little off. Instead of being hit, and held up, White looks like his feet get hung and caught up. There's no look/feel of momentum to either player, the hit isn't felt/seen when they collide, and the transition to the ProTak animation from the running animation isn't natural (it just snaps to the ProTak animation).

Ravens defense stops Lendale White at the goal line from easports on Vimeo.

100% agreed. To clarify again though, that was the reason we wrote this line:

Quote:
Keep in mind this is very much in progress and we have plenty of work to do to finish this out from tuning to blending to animation. Regardless, I think you can see that even in rough form this system is going to help change the way the game is played forever.

# 122 crackdownjr @ 05/04/09 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Not sure what you're talking about.

He's heading for the end zone, get's stood up by 2 players on the side, pulled backward by a player from behind and a 4th player bumps him backward from his front.

Looks pretty accurate and smooth to me.
you don't see it? Lendale's forward momentum is immediately stopped when he gets hit from the side by #26, which makes no sense... Ian confirmed that this was being worked on though so im not worried about it.

# 123 Valdarez @ 05/04/09 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Not sure what you're talking about.

He's heading for the end zone, get's stood up by 2 players on the side, pulled backward by a player from behind and a 4th player bumps him backward from his front.

Looks pretty accurate and smooth to me.
You can't see the snap from the running animation too the ProTak one?

# 124 sportzbro @ 05/04/09 08:07 PM
This is great stuff, its going to add so much more to assembling a team in franchise mode.

And different cleats!! FTW

thanks guys for the update.

# 125 Valdarez @ 05/04/09 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Gotcha. Either way, looks very promising.

# 126 Netherscourge @ 05/04/09 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
You can't see the snap from the running animation too the ProTak one?

I see his head get bounced back - but it looked like it was from being "popped" from the side by the initial tackler, which caused him to slow down...

I guess if Ian agrees with you then there must be something wrong... looks ok to me though.

/shrug

# 127 crackdownjr @ 05/04/09 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
one thing i have been wondering is:

do offensive players attempt to push defenders off of the ball carrier or are they only able to push the ball carrier?

# 128 TheWatcher @ 05/04/09 08:13 PM
Looks hot to me.

I can see how some may view it as not violent enough, because there may not be as much upper motion as they may like.

In the build I played, I noticed a fighting sort of deal during one-on-one tackles. I commented to Ian how hot it looked for the running back to be moving with such pronounced body movement to try and fight the tackle. Perhaps having more of that during a N-Man gang tackle from all involved might give more of that feel of fighting?

Now me personally, I'm fine with how it looks right now. But I'm just thinking from the opposite perspective.

# 129 NoSubs @ 05/04/09 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackdownjr
a players weight doesn't make them better nor worse so I do not see how weight can be reflected in the OVR rating
A player's weight doesn't make him better or worse? Try reducing the weight of your offensive line to 150lbs each. Then tell me if they are neither better nor worse.

If you have two linebackers, one is 260 lbs. and the other is 160lbs. All their other ratings are identical, now the lighter one will be worse at tackling. So he would not be worth the same amount in a trade or be as high on your depth chart. Therefore, it is accurate for him to have a lower OVR to reflect his lower usefulness, trade value, contract amount, etc.

There can be an ideal weight range for each position. If the player is above or below that range he will be docked points from his OVR to reflect his reduced usefulness.

# 130 afro_dogg20 @ 05/04/09 08:17 PM
Great Blog......this is going to be awesome, can't wait to play the game.

# 131 Vikes1 @ 05/04/09 08:21 PM
Pro-Tak looks very impressive.

I love defensive minded football...and the thought of seeing players in Madden, swarming to the ball, and actually being involved in the tackle looks great.

This imo, is a great step in making Madden different from years past.

# 132 Valdarez @ 05/04/09 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Looks hot to me.

I can see how some may view it as not violent enough, because there may not be as much upper motion as they may like.
You mean like a bunch of big guys hugging each other? jk

I think you're right, the HB needs to lower their body to brace for impact, and then get stood up if the defender gets lower on them or can lift them up, thus driving them back.

So far all of the ProTak videos have showed us guys getting stood up and stopped. In the next round of videos, it would be very kewl to see a guy lowering his head and finishing off his run, pulling the pack forward with him (and to see it from multiple angles). I have a feeling we're going to have to wait until they get it tuned more though.

# 133 Netherscourge @ 05/04/09 08:23 PM
Weight should absolutely be a factor in directing gang tackles.

It doesn't have to determine skill vs. skill as far as some things go, but regardless of skill - small lineman are easier to push around then 300 pound mammoths.

I don't care if it's a no-skill deadweight player - you try pushing around 300 pounds and see how far you get!

# 134 Triathlete_201 @ 05/04/09 08:24 PM
I'm very impressed. Good job!! Tackling system looks to be the best ever.

# 135 tonynyy @ 05/04/09 08:33 PM
Sweet stuff.

I hope they find a way to account for leverage in these battles though. It would make using the cover ball feature useful and reflect what real football battles are about.

# 136 ghostlight85 @ 05/04/09 08:46 PM
I'm not gonna flip or anything because obviously it's still being tuned and such... but unless my eyes deceive me there is a pretty significant glitch in the lendale white video. There's some motion blur and such, but it appears to me that #92 for the ravens comes in from the left side and glitches to the opposite side and possible even takes the place of the player who initially stood up white at the goal line. Also, I can't tell where or how Reed became involved in the play. I'm sure this kind of stuff will get fixed. Maybe it's not even there and I'm seeing things.

EDIT: ok, I think Reed initiated the tackle, the transition was just very awkward when 92 came in from the left. It seemed that he and Reed swapped spots instantaneously.

Regardless of that, the blog is awesome. The feature is awesome. As I've been saying for a while now, if they make the game they conceptually see in their minds, this will be a treat for us gamers.

# 137 ghostlight85 @ 05/04/09 08:54 PM
In the Ravens vid, it seems that 92 is large enough and had enough momentum going into the collision that he probably should have knocked the pile to the ground toward the right side.

I'm curious, do you have to hit stick the pile to knock it down, or will simple weight/momentum be enough in many cases?

# 138 Glorious Arc @ 05/04/09 09:05 PM
Looking at the White clip again, I was happy to see that Ray Lewis doesnt just connect into the back of White and push him into the endzone. Instead he slightly over purses the play then turns and tackles him from the side.

# 139 crackdownjr @ 05/04/09 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSubs
A player's weight doesn't make him better or worse? Try reducing the weight of your offensive line to 150lbs each. Then tell me if they are neither better nor worse.

If you have two linebackers, one is 260 lbs. and the other is 160lbs. All their other ratings are identical, now the lighter one will be worse at tackling. So he would not be worth the same amount in a trade or be as high on your depth chart. Therefore, it is accurate for him to have a lower OVR to reflect his lower usefulness, trade value, contract amount, etc.

There can be an ideal weight range for each position. If the player is above or below that range he will be docked points from his OVR to reflect his reduced usefulness.
Adrian Peterson weighs 217 lbs
Michael Turner weighs 244 lbs
Chris Johnson weighs 200 lbs

while the weight of a player obviously calculates into the physics of different situations, it should not calculate into the overall rating. though you can argue that it should be a factor in OL & DL OVR ratings...

# 140 crackdownjr @ 05/04/09 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
I'm not gonna flip or anything because obviously it's still being tuned and such... but unless my eyes deceive me there is a pretty significant glitch in the lendale white video. There's some motion blur and such, but it appears to me that #92 for the ravens comes in from the left side and glitches to the opposite side and possible even takes the place of the player who initially stood up white at the goal line. Also, I can't tell where or how Reed became involved in the play. I'm sure this kind of stuff will get fixed. Maybe it's not even there and I'm seeing things.

EDIT: ok, I think Reed initiated the tackle, the transition was just very awkward when 92 came in from the left. It seemed that he and Reed swapped spots instantaneously.

Regardless of that, the blog is awesome. The feature is awesome. As I've been saying for a while now, if they make the game they conceptually see in their minds, this will be a treat for us gamers.
oooohhhh THATS what happened haha i was confused on how the small safety ended up being #92 at the end of the play lol :P

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.