Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The new Madden NFL 10 blog is online, taking a deeper look into pass blocking.

Quote:
"Hello Madden faithful - it's Monday, and it’s time for another blog! This week we'll be following up a little bit on the last PRO-TAK blog [link]. We covered gang tackling in detail last time, so for this blog we thought we’d dig a little deeper on our pass blocking, and also mention how PRO-TAK’s dynamic steering technology will help take our blocking a little bit farther into that next level that we know we need to hit of realism. At the top of nearly every community wish list for the past 3+ years has been OL/DL interaction…so this year we’re proud to say we’ve spent a really good amount of time improving this area, and we’ve also built a strong foundation that we can continue to add on to in the future."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 steelers1216 @ 05/11/09 09:22 PM
PERFECT VIDEO FOR ANIMATION IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS, AND IN YOUR MIND THINK ABOUT WHAT MADDEN LOOKS LIKE, THEN SEE HOW DIFFERENT IN IS IN REAL LIFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWCxqbXSsY

# 122 steelers1216 @ 05/11/09 09:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ copy and paste it in search bar, sorry about that

# 123 PolkaDot @ 05/11/09 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith121212
Enlighten yourself. Its the way the QB moves at the end of the video. If you don't see it then you don't see it.
Or . .. you could quit being an e-tough guy jerk and point it out

# 124 steelers1216 @ 05/11/09 09:26 PM
one more thing that i have always hated from the next-gen maddens, its a small thing, but it does bother me

the size of the ball, just make it SLIGHTLY smaller, wen i look at the screen shots of the qb's in the throwing motion, wen the ball is by their head, the ball looks the same size or bigger than there head....with their helmets on!!!!!!!!
please fix it, make the ball a little more narrower

# 125 gametime25 @ 05/11/09 09:27 PM
Finally EA addresses this problem. Pass blocking is something that should have been looked at a while back.

# 126 adriano @ 05/11/09 09:52 PM
Is it me or does Flaccos release look weird?

# 127 icomb1ne @ 05/11/09 10:03 PM
Double teams! Double teams! Double teams!

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
the blocking is looking good, but the last vid where spears gets the sack, the transition wasnt to smooth. Spears should have tried to strip the ball or tackle the qb from behind. but the animation slides Spears on the side of Flacco.
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Why does the QB have to move like that in the pocket? (in reference to the 3rd clip the Joe Flacco clip)

Not only is that physically impossible......but it looks absolutely atrocious.

...The rest looks solid btw

# 128 radatdude2 @ 05/11/09 10:07 PM
really good to see the line play improved, i really like how the defender can break away from the o-line man when needed, but like others have mentioned the way flacko moved out of the pocket looks terrible i hope the qb animations can be tweaked when breaking the pocket

# 129 Ian_Cummings @ 05/11/09 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJones
I just wanted to quote this because I noticed it too. If you're going to say something about 2k's blocking then maybe you should actually show a video of what you are talking about Ian, cuz it's certainly not happening in that video.
Hmm...again, seems obvious to me, but maybe I'm not explaining it well. See attached image...

Attachment 15626

In real life, unless that guy is getting held, there is no reason why he can't chase after the ballcarrier after he's ran past him. Instead he's trapped in a really long animation...without the ability to branch out or 'steer', you can't control how the defense reacts to the play.

# 130 MrNFL_FanIQ @ 05/11/09 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Dude, it's going to be in there.

I complained about it in Madden '07....nothing happened.

I complained about it in Madden '08....nothing happened.

I complained about it in Madden '09 (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/250117-footplanting-qbs.html).....and it looks like nothing is happening.

This one of my biggest pet peeves and year after year it goes unfixed. At least in last gen versions, the momentum was so great, it was hard to make sudden movements with your QB. The developers this gen seem completely oblivious that the problem exist.
And it's being ignored (at least as of this post) in this thread as well.

# 131 Droopy03 @ 05/11/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Hmm...again, seems obvious to me, but maybe I'm not explaining it well. See attached image...

Attachment 15626

In real life, unless that guy is getting held, there is no reason why he can't chase after the ballcarrier after he's ran past him. Instead he's trapped in a really long animation...without the ability to branch out or 'steer', you can't control how the defense reacts to the play.

The guy who siad that he can't see it must be blind.

# 132 Lodeus @ 05/11/09 10:15 PM
After reading and watching it second time I do see the improvements you guys have mad. I agree with what others are saying about Flacco moving out of the pocket(I assume you moved him that way purposely) the animation does look funny.
But overall it looks good.

# 133 statum71 @ 05/11/09 10:17 PM
I don't care what anybody says...Ian and this group are improving Madden in a big way.

August can't get here fast enough. I'm anticipating Madden like I normal do The Show.

# 134 Valdarez @ 05/11/09 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

Attachment 15626

I get what you are saying now. I was looking at the block up until the HB ran by (at which point he's already out of the play) and didn't think he was held too long there (in fact, it was really short), while you're continuing to view the block while the HB continues up field. Even though the HB is past the defender, you're saying the defensive player should be able to turn up field sooner in order to follow the runner. Makes sense.

Wouldn't a dual block / tackle animation be even better? In the grasp, reaching out, get a hand on the player and transition to the tackle from there? Anychance ProTak can do just that?

# 135 coogrfan @ 05/11/09 10:35 PM
With regard to APF, here's another clip that illustrates Ian's point about not being able to break out of an animation. Keep your eye on the right DE:

# 136 kicker @ 05/11/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
With regard to APF, here's another clip that illustrates Ian's point about not being able to break out of an animation. Keep your eye on the right DE:

I don't want to turn this into a 2k thread, but those uncontrollable animations didn't happen where it affected human gameplay at all. I see the point, and if madden 10 fixes that, awesome.

I am more concerned with the non-response to double team blocks. That is just part of football and has always been apart of the 2k series, this should not be rocket science.

The imporvement in lineplay looks very promising though. Would love to hear the double team's are in though....

# 137 Valdarez @ 05/11/09 10:42 PM
I think it's important to keep in mind that APF2K8 has a very real momentum system built into it, and some of what you are seeing is a player's momentum in play. That's something I would like to see in play in Madden. Even in the example that Ian provided, I would hope that if the blocker engages the defensive player that they reroute / move the defensive player some how with their block. APF2K8's does that, but it's more of carrying out the animation to it's end like Ian pointed out than feeling the effects of the player's momentum.

# 138 djordan @ 05/11/09 10:43 PM
Great stuff IAN...

BIG IMPROVEMENT YOU GUYS MADE IN REGARDS TO BRANCHING OFF OF BLOCKS....

# 139 Valdarez @ 05/11/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker
I am more concerned with the non-response to double team blocks. That is just part of football and has always been apart of the 2k series, this should not be rocket science.
You should watch more videos, someone has already called out a double team block in a past video. Sorry, not sure which one it was, but it was there, and it was on the OLine.

Double teams were a problem in 2K's APF2K8 game, as they happened unnecessarily too often, allowing blockers to come through untouched. Nothing worse than having 3 men rush, seeing a double team on the DE to right, with the center moving the other way and the NT allowed to come through pretty much clean. So I guess the addition of double teams will concern me far more than the lack of them.

# 140 roadman @ 05/11/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker
The imporvement in lineplay looks very promising though. Would love to hear the double team's are in though....

I'm sure we will hear something in the near future. We still have E3, the rest of May, June and July ahead for all this info to pop.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.