Home
NHL 10 News Post

19-TIME SPORTS GAME OF THE YEAR FRANCHISE DELIVERS
NEW STANDARD FOR PHYSICAL PLAY IN EA SPORTS NHL 10

Platinum-Selling* Franchise Authentically Replicates
Emotion and Intensity of Playoff Hockey

GUILDFORD, UK. – May 14, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that EA SPORTS™ has innovated a new, physical brand of hockey that includes first-person fighting in NHL® 10 to match the toughness and emotional intensity real-world NHL players endure in pursuit of a Stanley Cup™ Championship.

The franchise that has won 19 sports game of the year awards over the past two years begins a new era with gameplay innovations that deliver a new standard of toughness, the emotion of playoff hockey on the ice and in the arena, and over 200 gameplay refinements that replicate the skill and finesse that every fan sees throughout the NHL playoffs.

A new first-person fighting engine enables players to trade punches with an NHL tough guy. Feel what it’s like to be on the ice in the skates of an NHL player to throw and dodge punches. Grab and tug an opponent’s jersey to land a punch that ignites the fans and sparks your team to victory. Challenge a skill player and an opposing team tough guy will step in to settle the score.

On ice toughness and intimidation is taken to a new level in NHL 10 where winning one-on-one battles for possession of the puck along the boards becomes a test of will and skill. Utilizing an all-new board physics engine, players can use their body to shield the puck on the boards and then kick-pass it to teammates. Bigger, stronger players pin opponents to the boards while fanatical fans bang on the glass, just like real life. Fore-check defenders, pressure the puck and finish checks to intimidate your opponent into mistakes. Players fatigue, bobble passes, and avoid collisions under threat of constant physical pressure. Inspire teammates, ignite the fans and change the momentum of a game by instigating scrums, drawing penalties, and mixing it up — all after the referee blows the whistle!

“This is the most authentic simulation of hockey we have ever created,” said Producer David Littman, a former NHL and minor league goaltender now in his eighth year working on the NHL franchise. “The Stanley Cup is the most difficult trophy in all of sports to win and NHL 10 replicates the emotion, intensity and toughness players require to win the Cup.”

NHL 10 features more than 200 gameplay refinements that replicate the skill and finesse of hockey and deliver the most responsive and authentic action ever for the series. Players can one-time loose pucks, score from their knees, knock pucks out of the air and lift a leg to fake a shot on goal. A new 360° precision passing mechanic delivers control over the speed and direction of passes so players can bank passes off the boards or play the puck into space for teammates to skate on to it. Plus, all-new interactive crowds bring the emotion of playoff hockey to life with towel-waving fans, glass bangers and crowds that react to the action on the ice.

Prove you are tough enough to quiet the crowd, silence the opposition and survive a playoff run to lift the Stanley Cup in NHL 10.

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ohyeahbaby123 @ 05/14/09 06:36 AM

# 2 Qb @ 05/14/09 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Fore-check defenders, pressure the puck and finish checks to intimidate your opponent into mistakes. Players fatigue, bobble passes, and avoid collisions under threat of constant physical pressure.
Sounds vaguely familiar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
On that note, my off-the-wall take on this quote -- BASED ON NO ACTUAL FACTS -- and the previous mention that 3rd & 4th liners will have more use is that physical play will have a cumulative effect on players. So pounding on someone all game will cause them to be less effective through loss of stamina and/or a higher chance of injury, as well as some sort of individual aggression level that will fluctuate during the game. So repeatedly targeting an opposing player could cause them to lose their cool, possibly taking a penalty in the process.

# 3 bigwill33 @ 05/14/09 11:01 AM
Like what is said about the board play and passing. Hope they re-worked the faceoffs too.

# 4 adayinthelife @ 05/14/09 11:29 AM
The only thing that sucks about these early press releases is that I get way too excited way too early.

# 5 Nomah5 @ 05/14/09 11:40 AM
have they announced a release date yet?

# 6 adayinthelife @ 05/14/09 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomah5
have they announced a release date yet?
I think it's typically the second Tuesday in September.

# 7 onlybygrace @ 05/14/09 12:13 PM
I need a new pair of undies.

# 8 TDKing @ 05/14/09 05:52 PM
How does 1st person fighting work in a human vs human game on the same console.

# 9 shakeable @ 05/14/09 06:19 PM
Joborule on the EA boards said that he could talk about it on Friday.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/60/232481.page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
Joborule, myself, and Double are able to give our first impressions of the game, what we saw, this Friday, so this and other questions I see in this thread will be answered. I'll be posting it Thursday @ midnight, my time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.