Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. Ian talks about revamping how injuries work.

Quote:
"Welcome back Madden faithful, it’s Monday and that means it’s time for another blog! This week we wanted to go into some depth about a new feature you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10: our revamped injury system. Hopefully this new addition is just one (of many) that continues to prove that we are focused on delivering an authentic NFL experience to our fans – and that while we are still ensuring to innovate in every single iteration, that innovation has to come inside of what’s core to NFL simulation football. As we said in our [mission statement] way back in January, we aren’t about gimmicks, we are here to create an authentic representation of the sport. “Everything You See On Sunday, See It In Madden NFL”…injuries are a major part of that.

Along with the obvious concern for the well-being of the athlete, there are also typically very major ramifications to the team when a player gets hurt. How serious is the injury? Can the player continue to play hurt even with the risk of re-injury? How well can his backup fill in if he is out? How will the team adjust to continue without him? Will their opponent exploit the loss of the starter? We wanted to emulate all of this strategy, suspense, and emotion behind injuries in Madden NFL 10."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Da Bears @ 05/18/09 04:39 PM

Like I said before.This should be a Packers player.Get it together Ian. lol

# 42 ghostlight85 @ 05/18/09 04:40 PM
I wonder if they could tie each injury type into a few animations so that a shoulder injury might result or has a slightly higher chance of resulting from specific tackle animations. Also, I like the idea of the injury specific animations like the reinjury of the knee. Very cool. Good blog.

In the coming weeks, I'm hoping to see a little more of franchise though. Even if it's just bits and pieces like stat generation fixes, new logos for create-a-team, little stuff. I just want to know that it's gonna have something for me to sink my teeth into. 09 was much better than 08, but it was still sorely lacking in several key areas. Franchise is where I spend about 80% of my time with madden, hopefully they will give me a reason to really keep coming back this time.

# 43 Rashad19 @ 05/18/09 04:40 PM
Nice find and great read!

# 44 Candyman5 @ 05/18/09 04:42 PM
One question though Ian, If there is a Injury in the first quarter to Adrian for example. Its a Bruised Knee and you decide not to risk it since you got Chester Taylor, can you wait until a later quarter like the 3rd and there wouldn't be as high of a risk to reinjure the injury?

# 45 Golden28 @ 05/18/09 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
when the bears player is being helped off the field, other players should be around him or at least looking at him.
Did you see the Fallon video?

In that one the cut scene showed a Jet being helped off the field by this teamates.

So there must be lots of different variations.

# 46 ghostlight85 @ 05/18/09 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bears

Like I said before.This should be a Packers player.Get it together Ian. lol
Not sure, but maybe they use the home team's injury cart for away team as well. I don't really know if this is or isn't the case in real NFL games.

# 47 davjaffe @ 05/18/09 04:43 PM
Nice addition!

# 48 RGiles36 @ 05/18/09 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpezzano
Um..Ok

LOL
Yeah, really . Arguably one of the biggest factors in football and somene sees fit to downplay it? Wow!

Question though: unless I missed it, I wonder does this carry over game to game? For example, the blog talks about the decisions that have to be made as far as putting the player back in the same game. If the injured player is healthy enough to play but still injured, does this carry over to the next game? Like will he still have the bruised ribs and run the risk of re-injuring himself even though it's a new week?

# 49 MrSkagTrendy @ 05/18/09 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
Not sure, but maybe they use the home team's injury cart for away team as well. I don't really know if this is or isn't the case in real NFL games.
Yeah, this is what I thought as well.

# 50 Hotlanta @ 05/18/09 04:46 PM
I love this blog.

Like a lot of stuff including...Real Time Injuries!!!!!!!. We need to knock this out of the park with a franchise blog next week. Had some question but they've been asked in this thread already so, I'll wait or bring them back up at a later time.

# 51 tjizzle @ 05/18/09 04:48 PM
this sounds really good , i hated how last year people using the pats would sub in brady and he would still play like he did in 07. very unrealistic im glad its been addressed .

# 52 Glorious Arc @ 05/18/09 04:49 PM
Another question, Can players get several different injuries and keep playing?

Example:

I have a RB with a strained knee. He gets hit in the chest so hard that IRL he would break a rib. In M10 does he have both a strained knee and a broken rib or can you only allow one injury per player?

# 53 TDogg09 @ 05/18/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
3. You are automatically prompted to let injured players play hurt (when applicable) or sub in the backup
I like that part, it's more realistic. It would be weird if the prompt popped up if your player broke his foot or something.

# 54 tron8 @ 05/18/09 04:50 PM
Is there going to be serious first-time injuries where there is no option to put the player in ie an ACL/MCL tear in one play or do they all "progress" from bad to worse?

# 55 Da Bears @ 05/18/09 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Great blog, but Im getting impatient waiting for more franchise info.

I think Ian will keep that news until or a day or so before E3.

# 56 tjizzle @ 05/18/09 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG 5
you could sub a guy in with a torn ACL and he could still play? wow
lol exactly yes you could and you wouldn't miss a beat. everyone that picked the pats online did this, even some of my friends offline did.

# 57 mavfan21 @ 05/18/09 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
I think all teams just have a typical John Deere Green and Yellow colored cart. It's not a "Packers" cart just because it is green and yellow.

# 58 NYyankz225 @ 05/18/09 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
I think all teams just have a typical John Deere Green and Yellow colored cart. It's not a "Packers" cart just because it is green and yellow.
Yea, Da Bears was joking and saying that the Bears should have injured the Packers, not the other way around .

# 59 djKianoosh @ 05/18/09 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Yeah, really . Arguably one of the biggest factors in football and somene sees fit to downplay it? Wow!
wow! you think it's one of the biggest factors in football? really? i'll give you that it can be very important. and sometimes it can be critical. but in a video game i'd think there are a number of other things that are just as important, if not more. it's one of a number of things... like i said, i'm not downplaying it or whatever, i just don't get the hyperbole where people are fawning all over this blog update. but it's all good. it's a nice improvement.

# 60 Da Bears @ 05/18/09 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Yea I was just saying that becouse a bear was hurt.I dont know what the other guys was talking about.I was making a funny.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.