Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. Ian talks about revamping how injuries work.

Quote:
"Welcome back Madden faithful, it’s Monday and that means it’s time for another blog! This week we wanted to go into some depth about a new feature you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10: our revamped injury system. Hopefully this new addition is just one (of many) that continues to prove that we are focused on delivering an authentic NFL experience to our fans – and that while we are still ensuring to innovate in every single iteration, that innovation has to come inside of what’s core to NFL simulation football. As we said in our [mission statement] way back in January, we aren’t about gimmicks, we are here to create an authentic representation of the sport. “Everything You See On Sunday, See It In Madden NFL”…injuries are a major part of that.

Along with the obvious concern for the well-being of the athlete, there are also typically very major ramifications to the team when a player gets hurt. How serious is the injury? Can the player continue to play hurt even with the risk of re-injury? How well can his backup fill in if he is out? How will the team adjust to continue without him? Will their opponent exploit the loss of the starter? We wanted to emulate all of this strategy, suspense, and emotion behind injuries in Madden NFL 10."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 SHO @ 05/18/09 05:44 PM
I really like this blog. Good stuff.

# 82 Tengo Juego @ 05/18/09 05:49 PM
Kampman was injured and his backup is Jeremy Thompson? Thompson plays DE. Kampman is an OLB now. Has the switch for AK-74 been made in the game?

# 83 cedwebb @ 05/18/09 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I like all the of details about the injury system. The progressive injury is awesome. Good to see new injury animations occur if you play with a hurt player.

My only issue is if there isnt a health system in M10(something like Head Coach) then its all really pointless. If I tear my ACL IRL my knee is not going to be as strong when I return. I will in fact have an increased chance of rehurting my knee. Even if I do the proper rehab and "fully" recover my knee will never be the same.

I hope there is a health system and yall are just waiting to release it at a later time. I just figured now would have been a great time to release it with the injury system because of how closely they relate to each other.
I hear ya and I hope we get that, would be huge. I am assuming that we didn't hear anything like that as it would pertain to franchise and they havn't released that yet. Lets hope that is the case

# 84 Candyman5 @ 05/18/09 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
One question though Ian, If there is a Injury in the first quarter to Adrian for example. Its a Bruised Knee and you decide not to risk it since you got Chester Taylor, can you wait until a later quarter like the 3rd and there wouldn't be as high of a risk to reinjure the injury?
Just bumping my question.

# 85 Cryolemon @ 05/18/09 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
nevamind
I'm quoting this solely to ask if it was a clever reference to the "Breed" by Nirvana talk earlier in the thread lol...

Anyway, cool blog Ian, as ever. Any move towards a realistic injury system is to be applauded.

# 86 Tengo Juego @ 05/18/09 05:55 PM
Quote:
Kampman was injured and his backup is Jeremy Thompson? Thompson plays DE. Kampman is an OLB now. Has the switch for AK-74 been made in the game?
Nevermind. I see that his position is LOLB and it would make sense that Thompson would be an OLB now too.

# 87 STLRams @ 05/18/09 06:07 PM
Very, very good blog. This is realism and sim at its finest. I really like the direction Ian has Madden going in. This just adds alot of realism to the game. Good work.

# 88 Glorious Arc @ 05/18/09 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwebb
I hear ya and I hope we get that, would be huge. I am assuming that we didn't hear anything like that as it would pertain to franchise and they havn't released that yet. Lets hope that is the case
indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Another question, Can players get several different injuries and keep playing?

Example:

I have a RB with a strained knee. He gets hit in the chest so hard that IRL he would break a rib. In M10 does he have both a strained knee and a broken rib or can you only allow one injury per player?

# 89 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/18/09 06:22 PM
Ian as one person has pointed out something really important. If a certain players gets hurt in the game. Will that players injury carry over into the next game and beyond. It would be so unreal if the player gets a high ankle sprain one game and comes out the next game like he never got injuried. From game to game it should list the injuried guys from probabal to doubtful depending on the injury and how bad it is. If the player is doubtful then you shouldn"t be given a choicce to play him to further his injury. Because no real NFL coach would put in a player that is very hurt from the previous game. Butanything besides that. Ian you and your crew is doing a great job so far. Now all we need is some more offline franchise blogs and the info on presention then we are set to play football.

# 90 rsoxguy12 @ 05/18/09 06:23 PM

Praise Ian.

# 91 Smoke316 @ 05/18/09 06:26 PM
the blogs form here on out will be interesting because E3 is next week so everything should be out the bag by then.. looking forward to that

# 92 Ty @ 05/18/09 06:32 PM
Wow this looks so great! We are looking at a good one.

# 93 afro_dogg20 @ 05/18/09 06:35 PM
Nice blog, this game is going to be freakin awesome!

# 94 Joborule @ 05/18/09 06:43 PM
Lots of work put into injuries this year. It'll be interesting to see how aggressive or conservative gamers are when their key player gets injured in the game, but is still playable. Do you put him back out there to potentially aggravate the injury even more, or do you keep him out to risk further damage? I wonder if the AI will be wise enough to recognize the stakes of the game (is it a meaningless late season game, or are they battling for a playoff birth) when determining how to use injured players.

It looks great presentation wise. Finally got trainers and even the injury cart coming out. Gives us a hint on how serve the injury may be.

# 95 Candyman5 @ 05/18/09 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
the blogs form here on out will be interesting because E3 is next week so everything should be out the bag by then.. looking forward to that
June 2nd through June 4th, 2 weeks away.

# 96 Kevin26385 @ 05/18/09 06:53 PM
Soldier Field looks terrible....ugh

# 97 Sanchez_Mareno @ 05/18/09 06:57 PM
Im going to miss all the bursitis injuries

# 98 Mofficial @ 05/18/09 07:03 PM
Shweet! Ian can you follow up on how users can remedy the injury either during the game or during the season in franchise mode? For the past few years you couldn't even train players or put them on rehab. It was either injury reserve or waiting it out. Thanks for the post though, this is great.

# 99 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/18/09 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
Well I wouldn't say everything that is in the game will come out at E3. There might be a few features that are in the game that might be kept quite until july. I am pretty sure Ian will not let everything loose all at once. If he did that then he wouldn't have nothing to blog about for the final 2 months. The main things that might be talk bout is more on pro tak and the injury system and stuff like that. Maybe some info on Franchise and some info on the the presention. But Ian might still have more info about the game that even Kane are Adem and the rest of community people might not know about. Who knows. We will just have to wait and see I guess.

# 100 Kevin26385 @ 05/18/09 07:04 PM
When will Soldier Field be done correctly??

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.