Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. Ian talks about revamping how injuries work.

Quote:
"Welcome back Madden faithful, it’s Monday and that means it’s time for another blog! This week we wanted to go into some depth about a new feature you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10: our revamped injury system. Hopefully this new addition is just one (of many) that continues to prove that we are focused on delivering an authentic NFL experience to our fans – and that while we are still ensuring to innovate in every single iteration, that innovation has to come inside of what’s core to NFL simulation football. As we said in our [mission statement] way back in January, we aren’t about gimmicks, we are here to create an authentic representation of the sport. “Everything You See On Sunday, See It In Madden NFL”…injuries are a major part of that.

Along with the obvious concern for the well-being of the athlete, there are also typically very major ramifications to the team when a player gets hurt. How serious is the injury? Can the player continue to play hurt even with the risk of re-injury? How well can his backup fill in if he is out? How will the team adjust to continue without him? Will their opponent exploit the loss of the starter? We wanted to emulate all of this strategy, suspense, and emotion behind injuries in Madden NFL 10."

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 mars85042 @ 05/18/09 07:07 PM
That looks great, i find myself saying that alot about Madden 10.

# 102 Hotlanta @ 05/18/09 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
Lots of work put into injuries this year. It'll be interesting to see how aggressive or conservative gamers are when their key player gets injured in the game, but is still playable. Do you put him back out there to potentially aggravate the injury even more, or do you keep him out to risk further damage? I wonder if the AI will be wise enough to recognize the stakes of the game (is it a meaningless late season game, or are they battling for a playoff birth) when determining how to use injured players.
Had to quote this. Didn`t pass my mind at first but I look forward on seeing how this works out.

# 103 TDKing @ 05/18/09 07:11 PM
This all sounds really good if it works the way they are describing it. I likey what I'm hearing.

# 104 splff3000 @ 05/18/09 07:15 PM
good stuff as usual.

# 105 Smoke316 @ 05/18/09 07:15 PM
Good call joborule. It seems Madden is goin toward the sim strategy route. Can't wait to see what they have in store for franchise I'm DYING for a nice meaty blog

# 106 TheWatcher @ 05/18/09 07:19 PM
I've got a few things to chime in on here. First, presentation of the injury sequence...

An overhead stadium shot here is not proper. This a golden opportunity to spotlight the Head Coach making a key decision. This is where 100% of the time on TV on Sunday's the Head Coach is going to get a lot of camera time... this is why the Head Coaches are so important to presentation and why I've been stressing it so much. These are the moments where their presence shines.

In a situation like this, I'd want to see the Head Coach on his headset talking and/or looking concerned about the situation... pacing, a facial expression... something. But an overhead stadium shot? Naaaaahhhhhhhh. They don't do that on Sunday's in a situation like this... a cutscene of some sort needs to be placed here, something... just not this stadium shot.

With all that said, this is a cool system. I have some reservations about how severe injuries will be handled... i.e., a serious injury that happened on just one play might've put a guy out for the game in past years... will that happen in 10? Or is it always a deal where there is going to be an option to put the guy back in.

I chatted with Phil about the injury system at CD, and I got the impression from him that it may be a deal where every injury is a decision situation. Perhaps that's changed since, and I'm hoping so because some situations should just be severe enough to put a guy out without there having to be a decision made.

# 107 adamgod8 @ 05/18/09 07:28 PM
HUGE CONCERN - after reading this article one thing leapt off the page at me....." Re-injury risk is increased for online and play now (since people won’t have to worry about long term injuries, we still wanted to add a risk to playing with someone that’s hurt)"

- No online franchise????

# 108 nightcreeper @ 05/18/09 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
EA has just posted another Madden NFL 10 blog. Ian talks about revamping how injuries work.
omfg this is great

# 109 TDogg09 @ 05/18/09 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I've got a few things to chime in on here. First, presentation of the injury sequence...

1. An overhead stadium shot here is not proper. This a golden opportunity to spotlight the Head Coach making a key decision. This is where 100% of the time on TV on Sunday's the Head Coach is going to get a lot of camera time... this is why the Head Coaches are so important to presentation and why I've been stressing it so much. These are the moments where their presence shines.

In a situation like this, I'd want to see the Head Coach on his headset talking and/or looking concerned about the situation... pacing, a facial expression... something. But an overhead stadium shot? Naaaaahhhhhhhh. They don't do that on Sunday's in a situation like this... a cutscene of some sort needs to be placed here, something... just not this stadium shot.

Agree with you there. The stadium shot does not contribute to the emotion of the decision Ian was talking about in the blog. I agree that there should be a shot of the coach on the sideline talking on his headset. Maybe there could be a shot of the guy being looked at on the sidelines by the trainers, or combination of both the injured player and the coach.

2. The EA score bugs seem to be fighting each other, as one appears to be overlapping the other. I'm sure that's just early stuff, but that needs some attention.

There's a caption under that picture in the actual blog that says that they are aware of it and it will be fixed.

With all that said, this is a cool system. I have some reservations about how severe injuries will be handled... i.e., a serious injury that happened on just one play might've put a guy out for the game in past years... will that happen in 10? Or is it always a deal where there is going to be an option to put the guy back in.

I chatted with Phil about the injury system at CD, and I got the impression from him that it may be a deal where every injury is a decision situation. Perhaps that's changed since, and I'm hoping so because some situations should just be severe enough to put a guy out without there having to be a decision made.

I agree with you on this too. In the summary, Ian said that the prompt would come up "when applicable," and I took that to mean exactly this, say when a guy like breaks his foot or something that screen wouldn't come up because the player would just be automatically out of the game.
responses in bold.

# 110 TheSaint92 @ 05/18/09 07:35 PM
That looks great. I hope there's alot of variety on the cutscenes.

# 111 UtahUtes32 @ 05/18/09 07:35 PM
Wow this is an incredible system

# 112 countryboy @ 05/18/09 07:41 PM
Wow! Sounds great.

# 113 TheWatcher @ 05/18/09 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDogg09
There's a caption under that picture in the actual blog that says that they are aware of it and it will be fixed.
... Now how did I miss that?

Please disregard, lol.

# 114 NoSubs @ 05/18/09 08:09 PM
This should be awesome! I am literally looking forward to the hassles this will cause me in franchise mode (i.e. Do I let the player keep playing? Is his back-up good enough to step-in? Should I sign or trade a better back-up if the injury is long-term?, etc.)

The key is that there is a slider, because everyone will have an opinion on how many injuries there should be.

Hopefully the default slider setting has been made thoughtfully though. I appreciate the ability to adjust sliders, but I still want them to be set at the developer's best efforts by default.

# 115 icomb1ne @ 05/18/09 08:21 PM
Really nice work on this!

# 116 MattIntellect @ 05/18/09 08:24 PM
Great blog!

# 117 boritter @ 05/18/09 10:14 PM
I really like the new injury system. I hate when games immediately tell you the severity of an injury.

I'm an NCAA guy at heart but from what I have seen so far I believe Madden 10 has improved more since 09 than NCAA has in the same time frame. Maybe more Madden this year for me.

# 118 scalise89 @ 05/18/09 10:33 PM
SIMPLE & GREAT IDEA HERE: Awesome blog, however one thing i think would make this feature even better...u knwo where it says if you have an injured knee, you shouldn't be doing jukes and spins...well, to make the player feel that, do you think that the more pain the player is feeling on that injury when doing a specific move then the controller should vibrate that much...if a simple juke doesn't hurt his injured knee much, it should vibrate lightly, but if he gets blasted inthe knee or tweaks it more, it should vibrate really hard! i think it would be great!

# 119 RogueHominid @ 05/18/09 10:40 PM
Really cool stuff this week. I love:
--the decision making process, this stuff is core to football and so must be in
--the independent rendering and sequencing of injuries (knees work on their own, shoulders on their own, and all tie to in-game ratings that affect the area
--the importance this places on depth

For further consideration:
--it would be cool for toughness to matter, so that some guys will play hurt to varying degrees and others won't play with even relatively minor dings. Emmitt's playoff game vs. NYG with a separated shoulder would be one extreme, Tony Romo with the finger would be another (I just, 'Boys fans, but only slightly).

Great blog and great feature!

# 120 JeriousNorwood @ 05/18/09 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
Aaron Kampman is a 93 OLB after an injury so he's 93+ before injury in a position he's never played in the NFL before?!?!

Disagree.
Mods, please lock this thread. Someone mentioned ratings in here which is clearly against the rules.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.