Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Joystiq has posted their hands-on preview of Madden NFL 10.

It's a pretty standard article, with two interesting tidbits.

1.) They mention that Madden 10 plays EXACTLY like past iterations, just with Pro-Tak. As a site that doesn't really specialize in sports gaming, I'll take that with a grain of salt. It's still worrisome.

2.) They mention that there will be an "enhanced franchise mode" and a new presentation mode called "The Emotion of the NFL". I haven't heard anything about either of these, so it is interesting.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 AllenRulz00 @ 05/19/09 08:09 AM
Wow, everything I've seen so far looks like a brand new game and NOT like the years past.

# 62 R9NALD9 @ 05/19/09 08:25 AM
It doesn't matter who you are, the fact that 2 previews, not 1 but 2 previews mentioned that Madden 10 felt like previous installments are quite concerning. Everybody here is expecting the much needed revolution, and not evolution since over the years the glitches, errors and general lacking in most departments have piled up considerably in the Madden franchise.

I've read through all the posts in this thread, and it's quite ironic for me to see how aggresively some people are defending Madden nfl 10 saying the people writing the previews no nothing etc. I for one would like to believe this, since I'm bored playing nfl 2k5 all these years and would kill for a decent representation of football within a Madden game, BUT I will never ever defend a game I hadn't played, nor would I defend a game someone I know on a forum has played.

I want to believe all the theories why the gamesites said what they said, but no one can deny that they are dissapointed that two previews stated that Madden 10 feels a lot like previous version. These people defending Madden 10 are nothing but so dissapointed that they refuse the accept it. Believe me when I say that I for one really and truly hope that they got it wrong and that this year's Madden is exactly what it's hyped up to be.

But I can't help but be shocked and dissapointed. I fear that Pro Tak is the gimmick like QB vision etc. was.

Let's hope I'm a **** and completely wrong

# 63 countryboy @ 05/19/09 08:40 AM
Another preview...another one man's opinion.

I'll never understand the idea of holding previews/reviews as the be all, end all overall opinion of the game. One site says one thing, another site says the complete opposite. If you're in any way shape or form intrigued by a game then you should at the very least try it yourself.

Its opinions that get published on websites or in articles, nothing more. Its no different than reading the wide spectrum of opinions here on OS, when people are providing their impressions, de-bugging the game, and offering up their .02.

# 64 roadman @ 05/19/09 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Some of the things you mention - by many forum members' own admittance - long should've been in the game anyway. So these things deserve mention now that they're being done? The argument could be made that these things should be expected on some level and don't necessarily deserve special notice.

Either way, come review time people will look to have their views reinforced. Despite IGN's history at overrating the game, I'm sure if they give Madden a 9+, those that feel the game deserves that rating will view their opinion as legitimate. If IGN gives it a sub-8 score, those same people will say IGN's full of idiots. And the same vice versa for people that aren't that enamored with the game. As someone else mentioned earlier though, it will be interesting if various gaming sites finally start taking a look at the game with more scrutiny - a trend that sort of started last year with '09
The bottom line is it's being implemented now. If people still want to hold the old flaming torch high about not being in the game in the past, that's their prerogative, there isn't anything to do to change history. I just feel that is being counterproductive, true or not. I don't worry about things that are out of my control.

If IGN gives the game a 9 plus, I would have really have to take a second look at the game myself. The same goes if they go 7 or below.

As I said before, personally, I don't go ape over any websites grade for any game. If I did that with movies or music, I would miss out on a lot of good movies or music.

I'm mine own best critic and yes, I've made mistakes before just as the critics have.

# 65 roadman @ 05/19/09 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Another preview...another one man's opinion.

I'll never understand the idea of holding previews/reviews as the be all, end all overall opinion of the game. One site says one thing, another site says the complete opposite. If you're in any way shape or form intrigued by a game then you should at the very least try it yourself.

Its opinions that get published on websites or in articles, nothing more. Its no different than reading the wide spectrum of opinions here on OS, when people are providing their impressions, de-bugging the game, and offering up their .02.
Well said and well put.

Exactly how I feel about gaming, music and movies. I'll make my own decision, not have it influenced by anything or anyone else.

# 66 Clarke_311 @ 05/19/09 08:57 AM
I guess we'll find out on August 14.

# 67 roadman @ 05/19/09 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
I don't think Spank was saying that it isn't a good thing that those items are being added now. I think he was saying that maybe we're giving too much praise for items and improvements in the game that should be expected from any development team trying to make an accurate portrayal of professional american football.

In other words: I think he's saying, that in general, our expectations may be too low.
Understood, but I think some people on both sides aren't understanding each other view's and opinions.

Take me for example. I've bought Madden every year since 92. It's a tradition with me since my college days up to playing against my 14 yr old son. I also play more of 2k5 than I do Madden with my son.

Lately, Madden has not been a fun franchise experience where 2k5 seems to nail most areas.

I'm excited as hell that Madden is adding in items and improvements from this development team trying to make a accurate portrait of NFL football. I understand peoples frustrations about the lack of authenticity Madden has lacked lately.

So, I just don't understand why people , such as myself, who's purchased Madden traditionally over the past few decades can't express their happiness that these missing items are being added to the game, while listening to people who are equally frustrated with the past games.

I just don't understand why one side needs to quite their enthusiasm while the other side can beat the negative drums loudly.

Madden has been under performing for a few years. If people are excited about the information being released, let them be excited. I just don't feel the need for people to come in and tell people to curb their enthusiasm, especially since Madden has been under performing on NG.

I feel both sides can co-exist peacefully, if allowed to.

# 68 TheWatcher @ 05/19/09 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R9NALD9
It doesn't matter who you are, the fact that 2 previews, not 1 but 2 previews mentioned that Madden 10 felt like previous installments are quite concerning.
I can't wait until August 14th. People will be laughing about the magazine comment on that. I'm already laughing because I played both 09 and 10 and the difference is obvious like if someone walked into a room with no pants on... I'd just say, take a look at what some of these mags said about Madden 08 before you give them much more credit, lol.

Quote:
I've read through all the posts in this thread, and it's quite ironic for me to see how aggresively some people are defending Madden nfl 10 saying the people writing the previews no nothing etc. I for one would like to believe this, since I'm bored playing nfl 2k5 all these years and would kill for a decent representation of football within a Madden game, BUT I will never ever defend a game I hadn't played, nor would I defend a game someone I know on a forum has played.
For me it's not even a matter of defense. It's about saying what's true and what's not. There are plenty of things I agree with from these articles, actually most of it. But their assertion that the game doesn't feel any different is just untrue... it's almost slanderous, lol. The dropback alone feels a lot like All Pro Football 2K8 (Maybe they've never played it before?), and even if you've never played APF, you should be able to see the difference anyway. But like I said, people will see soon enough.

Quote:
These people defending Madden 10 are nothing but so dissapointed that they refuse the accept it.
Maybe for some people, but for me that's not the case at all. I'm actually happy that EA listened to what I was saying about weight and momentum, and then had the vision to add the tweakable functions to customize it and the overall speed.

Quote:
But I can't help but be shocked and dissapointed. I fear that Pro Tak is the gimmick like QB vision etc. was.

Let's hope I'm a **** and completely wrong
I don't get that at all. How can gang-tackles and pileups--two things that are core to football--be a gimmick?

# 69 spankdatazz22 @ 05/19/09 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The bottom line is it's being implemented now. If people still want to hold the old flaming torch high about not being in the game in the past, that's their prerogative, there isn't anything to do to change history. I just feel that is being counterproductive, true or not. I don't worry about things that are out of my control.
I was only responding to your issues w/the preview citing certain things they didn't acknowledge. Things that are expected are of course always appreciated on some level, but aren't necessarily worth mentioning or deserve praise just because they're being done. You go to a sit down restaurant you expect to be served by a waiter/waitress; you pay taxes you expect for the city to provide certain services; etc. The times when these things deserve praise is when they go beyond what's expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
As I said before, personally, I don't go ape over any websites grade for any game. If I did that with movies or music, I would miss out on a lot of good movies or music.

I'm mine own best critic and yes, I've made mistakes before just as the critics have.
Agreed

# 70 Bgamer90 @ 05/19/09 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

I don't get that at all. How can gang-tackles and pileups--two things that are core to football--be a gimmick?
That's exactly what I was going to say...

# 71 RGiles36 @ 05/19/09 11:05 AM
Quote:
Things that are expected are of course always appreciated on some level, but aren't necessarily worth mentioning or deserve praise just because they're being done. You go to a sit down restaurant you expect to be served by a waiter/waitress; you pay taxes you expect for the city to provide certain services; etc. The times when these things deserve praise is when they go beyond what's expected.
I know we had a similar discussion last week so I'm not going to make an attempt to resurrect the same debate .

But after years of crapshoot & pinball OL/DL battles, I'm not sure how one can just expect for there to be this level of improvement. Will it be perfect? Of course not. But at some point, you have to recognize where Madden has come from and give credit to where it's going.

# 72 roadman @ 05/19/09 11:08 AM
Quote:
I was only responding to your issues w/the preview citing certain things they didn't acknowledge. Things that are expected are of course always appreciated on some level, but aren't necessarily worth mentioning or deserve praise just because they're being done. You go to a sit down restaurant you expect to be served by a waiter/waitress; you pay taxes you expect for the city to provide certain services; etc. The times when these things deserve praise is when they go beyond what's expected.
Agree with most of this.

Actually, we don't really know what was going on in the previewers mind. For all we know, the person assumed refs and a pocket were in last years game. To me, that is a signal the person is of the casual player where adding sim items to the game won't make an impact with them.

As far as praise, coach's praise kids when they make an out in baseball. Heck, my son plays soccer and the sign of a good coach is giving out praise and constructive criticism. For example, one of his coach's told him he played well on this particular day and noted he was a finesse player and one that thinks all the time. The coach then told him, he just needs to get to the ball quicker.

I've seen you do that in here as well. You praise the game for what you feel and you give constructive criticism where it needs it. I have done that as well. I just don't feel you need to praise situations where it goes beyond what's expected all the time.

Plus, all of our expectations are on different levels.

# 73 Bgamer90 @ 05/19/09 11:30 AM
I guess it's kinda beating the dead horse but I'm just going to lay out how I felt when reading the preview...

Quote:
At first glance you can easily see the graphic upgrades in Madden NFL 10. Not just in all of the new character animations they've upgraded and added, but just one look at the turf and you can almost count every blade of grass, real or artificial. Combine that with all of the additional animations they've added to up the realism, like Pro-Tak animation system which can dogpile up to nine guys on the football and let you fight for fumbles at the bottom of a mountain of linebackers, and yes, it's very impressive.
Okay. Nothing really new being said that we haven't heard already...

Quote:
While the game might not have received the full Fight Night Round 4 "let's fix the clipping!" treatment, we can understand that it's probably easier to fix the animations of two guys punching each other, vs. two eleven man teams going at it on the field. Still, Pro-Tak hopes to address that, and during our time with the game we didn't see any real problems like players strolling through people on the sideline like they were ghosts. The game felt solid, especially when you kept the ball on the ground and trucked your running back through a herd of defensive players. It's nice to see that the running game hasn't been neglected this time around, even though Cardinal wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald shares the cover in this edition.
Nice to hear...

Quote:
Other than the graphical improvements, at the basic level, the game plays exactly the same as it has in the past.
Hold up... what??? After basically saying how Pro-tak changes the game and how running feels solid, and that the running game hasn't been neglected as previous years, it plays EXACTLY the same?

Quote:
If you've loved Madden over the last few years, then you'll be happy with this one. However we've noticed that it's slowly slipping away from the core gameplay over the years, and new mode-itis is one of the reasons.
Again... after basically saying how Pro-tak changes the game and how running feels solid, and that the running game hasn't been neglected as previous years, it is slipping away from core gameplay?

Quote:
As with NCAA, EA keeps piling on the modes with Madden, and sometimes the fun factor gets buried in the process.

Over the past few years we've seen a slew of additions like: Playmaker, Hit Stick, Truck Stick, Precision Passing, Smart Routes, Weapons, the Madden IQ and so on. This year is no different and besides Pro-Tak we'll be seeing an enhanced franchise mode, and a presentation mode called "The Emotion of the NFL," which we'll be taking a look at down the line, but we'd like to see Madden take some risks with their engine and possibly try a new approach to the game. But since this is a cash cow for EA, we doubt they'll risk the loss in development time to really innovate.
lol... again... after talking about pro-tak, how could you say this?

Quote:
There has been enough bitching and moaning about the fact that the NFL really hamstrung the video game development process by giving the license for games to just one company, and that means they'll be sitting pretty on top of the football gaming heap until innovation comes along and shakes everything up. But for now, Madden keeps fighting for yardage, and despite the occasional setback (online gaming, *cough*, which despite its glitches has racked up over 500 million games... were any of those quit out of early? hmmm), we're glad to see that it's still moving forwards, even if it's only by inches.
lol... I want to read a hands-on preview of Madden 10. I don't want to hear about the whole "EA monoply" talk... that could be left for another article.

If the game is only moving by inches this year with all the gameplay improvements being made then I guess in previous years this gen it was only moving by millimeters???

Like it seemed as if the writer used what Ian said pro-tak does in the documentary video, implemented it in the preview, and then talked about nothing in depth. It kinda felt like this preview was an afterthought. I mean the game is taking MAJOR strides, and maybe they just said that the game plays exactly the same so that they won't have to go into detail about a game that they probably aren't interested in.

I know I sound like a "defender" right now but honestly.... could anyone say that this was a good, in depth hands-on of the game? I mean after IGN and other sites mentioned all the changes to gameplay along with issues such as framerate problems, it seems that if the gameplay wasn't changed at all, they would also notice the problems that other sites (who said the gameplay was changed) said right off the bat.

So yeah... I guess this could of been a "rant" of some sorts... but I don't really have nothing to do at the moment lol (watching price is right...).

# 74 spankdatazz22 @ 05/19/09 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I know we had a similar discussion last week so I'm not going to make an attempt to resurrect the same debate .

But after years of crapshoot & pinball OL/DL battles, I'm not sure how one can just expect for there to be this level of improvement. Will it be perfect? Of course not. But at some point, you have to recognize where Madden has come from and give credit to where it's going.
I usually expect any sports game sequel to improve on the game that preceded it. And really each Madden has improved successively - 06<07<08<09. I acknowledge where the game has improved. But I don't think I should have to lower my baseline expectation to meet what their product has been. A few years ago 2K's MLB game had a problem with game freezes, then they fixed it. It's one thing to acknowledge them fixing the problem; another to heap praise on them for fixing it. I don't think anyone went in expecting that to be a problem, but I think people expected them to fix it. The issues with Madden aren't quite so severe, but it's the same principle imo - for me there are certain things that are expected.

I'd think most of us went into next gen expecting better, not preparing for the worst. I don't think people are dismissing the improvements being made, because improvement is always going to be appreciated. But it has to be weighted against what's appropriate imo. "Where Madden has had to come from" is of their own doing.

# 75 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/19/09 01:43 PM
...They have a new design team...

# 76 countryboy @ 05/19/09 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyshon
let's stop complaining about madden and just dont buy it for a year, at least hold out until december and get it on sale at target for 39.99. It is what it is...love it or hate,It has been bad for so long,you can not honestly expect them to fix it in a year. Until they start anew with a new design team and physics engine it will remain the same old car with a fresh coat of paint. They should be working on 2011 right now.Ea is greedy, why are they making the game for the wii, portables, ps2...all of those resources should be spent making a truly next gen game for the hardcore gamers!!!!!!!!
because some people can't afford a PS3 or 360.

Oh and they have some new pieces on their design team, most notably the two guys that call all the shots, Senior Producer and Lead Game Designer.

# 77 jWILL253 @ 05/19/09 05:16 PM
Okay, this is really getting rediculous!

When I first read this article by Joystiq, my eyes were caught by the whole "The Emotion of the NFL" thing. Then, I log on to OS to discuss it, and I read through 7 pages of nothing but rants, insults to people's credibility and whether or not he/she is an "EA Whore", and what websites should/shouldn't be trusted.

Honestly, this is getting stupid. For the people that went to the CD, they know a lot more about Madden 10 than we do, so we can't say that they are on the take and they are biased. But, I just read some comments that say otherwise. And that is why threads get closed by moderators.

How about this: just have an opinion. Don't insult others when it comes to their opinion.

I like Madden. I want to see Madden be the best game it can be when it is released every year. I want every EA Sports game period to be good. The same goes for 2K Sports, THQ, and Sony, amongst others. I am NOT biased towards one company, or the other; I live in the "grey" area. I not only do I want to see the games themselves being great games, but I want to see the consoles that the games are being released on being maxed out every time a new version is released (referring to the lack of innovation on the PS3).

And loyshon, every time I see you post, you are always degrading the efforts that are being done be the "new" EA Sports (oh, and believe me, they do have new people in charge). Not only are you doing it to Madden, but you did it to Fight Night Round 4. You don't have to like the games themselves, that is NOT the argument. But, don't throw the developers on the backburner. This is the first time that EA has worked with OS not only with Madden, but with all of it's name brand games. At least give them credit for that.

When I see a horrible excuse of a game, I call it out (MLB 2K9), not the whole company. Try that, loyshon.

Sorry, just ranting. People need to show some manners on this site...

# 78 jWILL253 @ 05/19/09 05:18 PM
Now, can we please talk about the mentioned game modes?

I think that "Emotions of the NFL" will have you play from a broadcast-style camera angle, that's my guess...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.