Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers more Season Showdown.

Quote:
"Last week we focused on the structure of Season Showdown and touched on a few of the ways you can earn Extra Credits. This week we will focus on one of the three main pillars of Extra Credits that center around gameplay, which is the Skills category.

Simply put, Skills credits are earned by showing off your skills on the sticks. Your ability to perform these skill moves will earn you and your school extra credits. You can’t rely on the CPU to perform these actions to get the credits, you must be the one that got the interception or forced the fumble if you want the extra credit. So if you are using the new Defensive Assist feature, which puts the player you have highlighted under CPU control as long as you are holding the A/X button down, you can let the CPU guide your player to where they need to be, but to earn the credit you will need to take back control of the player and make the play. As you will see in a moment, a majority of the Skills events are defensive based, so if defense isn’t your strong suit, Defensive Assist will be a great way to put you in a position to make plays and earn credits."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 4solo @ 05/23/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I'm almost positive that their are separate departments working on features and gameplay. Maybe they could've scrapped SS for in-game saves or even formation subs, not sure who actually would handle that, but you can't say with certainty that if they scrapped SS that these other things would've been implemented.

I honestly believe that more has been done to this game(speaking improvements) then what they are being given credit for because for whatever reason the addition of SS has become a focal point and is now the reason for every and anything that is not added into NCAA '10 and will be the reason for any shortcomings that people find within the game.
I see where u are coming from countryboy but i think what is really frustrating people is that the time spent on marketing this feature. They have makerted this feature much like the madden team has marketed pro-tak but the two hardly even compare. People were getting tired of hearing about protak but at the same time u can see it as something that can really alter your game play, so it was more tolerable. But SS don't offer that. But they are marketing it like it is revolutionary. Then with the other features NCAA has tagged as being changed they breeze through the info and put up crappy vids or no vids at all. (we have yet to see solid game play footage of a pocket forming, or WR DB interaction and the flexbone vid was horrible) And I may be wrong b/c i truly don't know but it wouldn't seem that the madden team can go into in depth concrete example and detail of how things are dif from last year game but ncaa can not.

# 122 countryboy @ 05/23/09 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
I see where u are coming from countryboy but i think what is really frustrating people is that the time spent on marketing this feature. They have makerted this feature much like the madden team has marketed pro-tak but the two hardly even compare. People were getting tired of hearing about protak but at the same time u can see it as something that can really alter your game play, so it was more tolerable. But SS don't offer that. But they are marketing it like it is revolutionary. Then with the other features NCAA has tagged as being changed they breeze through the info and put up crappy vids or no vids at all. (we have yet to see solid game play footage of a pocket forming, or WR DB interaction and the flexbone vid was horrible) And I may be wrong b/c i truly don't know but it wouldn't seem that the madden team can go into in depth concrete example and detail of how things are dif from last year game but ncaa can not.
I understand what you're saying about being tired of hearing about it. And if I'm not mistaken, Adam(OMT) said something along the lines that Madden was given more leeway to talk about things such as pro-tak and such more than NCAA due to Madden being the backbone/centerpiece of EA Sports. I think it was something like that.

But even with how info is flowing from NCAA and even though they are promoting SS moreso than "gameplay elements" doesn't equate to gameplay not being better/polished/fixed. Russ gave us a list of gameplay things that were tweaked, we know that dynasty was tweaked, and we know there is something in the pre-game presentation area that we've haven't been told about.

My guess is that TeamBuilder and Season Showdown are what the marketing department want talked about right now for NCAA, as they have a broader appeal to the gamers than say, OL/DL interaction or DB/WR interaction. But as I said, just because these things aren't being hyped as much as SS or TB, doesn't mean they weren't addressed, nor does it mean that they are subpar to the features being touted right now.

# 123 4solo @ 05/23/09 10:50 AM
Quote:
I understand what you're saying about being tired of hearing about it. And if I'm not mistaken, Adam(OMT) said something along the lines that Madden was given more leeway to talk about things such as pro-tak and such more than NCAA due to Madden being the backbone/centerpiece of EA Sports. I think it was something like that.

But even with how info is flowing from NCAA and even though they are promoting SS moreso than "gameplay elements" doesn't equate to gameplay not being better/polished/fixed. Russ gave us a list of gameplay things that were tweaked, we know that dynasty was tweaked, and we know there is something in the pre-game presentation area that we've haven't been told about.

My guess is that TeamBuilder and Season Showdown are what the marketing department want talked about right now for NCAA, as they have a broader appeal to the gamers than say, OL/DL interaction or DB/WR interaction. But as I said, just because these things aren't being hyped as much as SS or TB, doesn't mean they weren't addressed, nor does it mean that they are subpar to the features being touted right now.
I really hope they are not supar. I guess its safe to say it bad marketing b/c i know they want to appeal to more people but at this point we know casual gamers are not checking blogs everyweek and up early SAT morning debating the features of the game lol

# 124 the onizzle @ 05/23/09 11:35 AM
Seriously, Part 1 of THREE, you have got to be kidding me. This feature isn't as worthless as windsocks, but we understand what it is by now so stop talking about it.

# 125 greenegt @ 05/23/09 12:16 PM
I, too, am sick of hearing about season showdown, but I'm encouraged by the gameplay shown in the video. I'm loving the new dynamic camera, the player lock feature, and the much improved OL/DL interaction. Hopefully, we'll get some nice lengthy vids and hands-on reports out of E3, so we can get a better picture of how the game plays as a whole.

# 126 statum71 @ 05/23/09 01:39 PM
I'll be so freaking glad when they put out a blog thats not about Team Builder or Season Showdown.

Ok........we see it.

# 127 sportzbro @ 05/23/09 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
I'll be so freaking glad when they put out a blog thats not about Team Builder or Season Showdown.

Ok........we see it.
I don't think they have much ammunition left.

# 128 UtahUtes32 @ 05/23/09 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinSports414
You my friend are part of the problem. Quite sad, honestly.
I cannot go without a NCAA football game or a NFL game, They are the ONLY types of games I play. Period. So whether they are good or not, I will always buy them, probably not the best thing to let EA know that, but it's true.

# 129 WolverinesFinest @ 05/23/09 02:49 PM
the play at 1:5o where the de gets the sack and forces a pass thats picked by the dt is very nice

# 130 countryboy @ 05/23/09 03:08 PM
Quote:
I sympathize with the guys on here like you, but really...wow. That's pretty pathetic, man. In a way, I'm actually hoping that all of the grumbling from the "sim" crowd here will spur the same sort of change we've seen from the Madden developers. 'Cause it's obvious enough people aren't gonna be able to break away and simply REFUSE to purchase something they feel is sub par to make any sort of impact.
actually whats pathetic is people feeling the need to make those who purchase the game feel bad for doing so.

People buying the game isn't the issue. Devs who love a sport and decide to go into the occupation of making a video game of that sport, should care enough to make it the best representation of said sport given their resources.

And I'm willing to bet that there are far more casual sports gamers out there than hardcore. And I say that because I don't believe that a vast majority of the purchasers of this game, would refuse to purchase due to OL/DL interaction not being realistic enough, formation subs being omitted, or a feature they won't use being in the game.

Most people, I would say, purchase this game because its a college football game that does a pretty good job of representing the sport in terms of teams, bowls, a dynasty mode, online dynasty, online rankings, and a fairly fun game to boot. Maybe it doesn't have all the x's and o's pinpointed, but thats not going to stop the vast majority of fans of the series, from purchasing the title year in and year out.

# 131 WolverinesFinest @ 05/23/09 03:11 PM
Quote:
actually whats pathetic is people feeling the need to make those who purchase the game feel bad for doing so.

People buying the game isn't the issue. Devs who love a sport and decide to go into the occupation of making a video game of that sport, should care enough to make it the best representation of said sport given their resources.

And I'm willing to bet that there are far more casual sports gamers out there than hardcore. And I say that because I don't believe that a vast majority of the purchasers of this game, would refuse to purchase due to OL/DL interaction not being realistic enough, formation subs being omitted, or a feature they won't use being in the game.

Most people, I would say, purchase this game because its a college football game that does a pretty good job of representing the sport in terms of teams, bowls, a dynasty mode, online dynasty, online rankings, and a fairly fun game to boot. Maybe it doesn't have all the x's and o's pinpointed, but thats not going to stop the vast majority of fans of the series, from purchasing the title year in and year out.

Good post. I agree.

# 132 rhombic21 @ 05/23/09 03:15 PM
Quote:
but we've heard of the gameplay improvements (pocket forming, OL/DL interaction, pursuit angles, amongst others). I just don't see how adding something like SS automatically equates to arcade gameplay.
It doesn't. But let's talk about the evidence from the video as to whether these gameplay improvements that we've been promised are actually going to be delivered. So far, they are mere promises, which does not equal an actual improvement.

The biggest issue that I have can best be illustrated by what happens at the 1:52 mark of the youtube video that was in the blog post. If you watch, there's a corner blitz, and the corner has a free run at the QB. An offensive linemen, who is on the other side of the QB, attempts to come back and block the corner at the last minute. Somehow he manages to barely beat the CB to the spot (he's literally less than 1 foot from the QB when he engages the CB), but the CB's momentum is stopped entirely, and the QB is able to get off the pass untouched. The QB actually steps in front of the block, so there is nobody physically between him and the CB, who is now engaged in a grapple animation with the offensive lineman, who is now positioned upfield from the QB. This is a perfect example of the type of pass rush interaction issues that remain, and which should have been addressed by now. In real life, this is a sack, or at least an attempted sack, every single time. On the game, the offensive linemen is magically able to pull a defensive player into his force field, and prevent him from disengaging to pursue the quarterback, even when the quarterback is positioned less than 1 foot away from him, with no blockers in between. It is impossible for a defensive player to attempt a tackle animation on a ballcarrier while an offensive player is attempting to block him. Instead, he must first break out of the block animation, and then try to access a tackle animation. As opposed to having the ability for an offensive player to be pushing on a defensive player, who is essentially ignoring the blocker and attempting to reach out and tackle a ballcarrier. If an offensive player officially engages in a block animation, the defensive player gets locked into trying to beat that animation, and cannot do anything else until the animation has played out.

Also, I notice that many of the scenes that they have to illustrate a pass rush/sack are actually screen passes, which is where a huge chunk of your sacks against the CPU already came last year. On one of the plays where they user rush with a DE and force a fumble/INT, you can see that the CPU DT actually makes a nice move to split two linemen and get penetration, which is suggestive of a better pass rush, but then if you look at the videos where they are not user controlling the defensive line, there doesn't appear to be any real pressure on the QB at all. This leads me to question whether the CPU controlled linemen will be able to generate any improved pass rush over what we saw last year, if the user isn't controlling a defensive linemen.

Also, I don't see the improved man coverage that we've been promised. In many of these plays, the defense is in press man coverage (sometimes cover 2, sometimes cover 1), and receivers are still fairly easily beating their man to the inside. If you look at the first play of the video, virtually every receiver (except for the back out of the backfield) beats his individual defender. The drag by X is open by several yards when the ball is thrown, and it looks like they were even in some type of double team defense on him, based on the way that the safety follows him across the field. #17, who looks like a TE based on alignment, pretty easily destroys an impact cornerback on a simple skinny post route. Had there not been safety help over the deep middle, he would have been wide open.

With the videos using Ohio State against Illinois, there are several plays where receivers very easily get inside separation against man defenders. And there doesn't appear to be any evidence of less accurate throws on the part of the QBs.

And on one of the screen passes, the HB is wide open, as nobody at all on the defense is guarding the screen (about the :55 mark), and the QB still eats the ball for a sack! What?

At this point, it looks to me like NCAA 10 will be a glorified patch of '09 + teambuilder + a largely worthless Season Showdown Feature + (hopefully) improved playbooks.

I see some gameplay improvements that should make a positive difference, but I don't see any revolutionary improvements to things like run blocking AI, special teams play, or general defensive logic. I'm not convinced that they've actually made that many changes to OL/DL interactions, other than having the DEs rush wider by default, and including steering technology. I don't see anything about stunts or better animations for interior linemen to create penetration and push up the middle, and on the offensive side I don't see triple option schemes, more effective trap/counter schemes, or better logic for lead blockers, such as fullbacks and pulling guards. And I largely still see the same "sumo wrestle" grapple animations and suction blocking issues that have hindered line play forever.

And it looks like it will not only NOT have a play editor/creator, but it also won't even have a more basic custom playbook feature that was on NCAA '05.

# 133 countryboy @ 05/23/09 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
It doesn't. But let's talk about the evidence from the video as to whether these gameplay improvements that we've been promised are actually going to be delivered. So far, they are mere promises, which does not equal an actual improvement.

You're right, promises don't equal improvement, but for me at least, nor does it equal failure.

The things they've said are in the game will stay a promise until I get to play the game. Until then, its just a video to look at and enjoy and promises. Nothing more, nothing less.

# 134 rhombic21 @ 05/23/09 03:30 PM
Quote:
You're right, promises don't equal improvement, but for me at least, nor does it equal failure.

The things they've said are in the game will stay a promise until I get to play the game. Until then, its just a video to look at and enjoy and promises. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm not saying that it equals failure either, but to me, if we're going to count these things as huge benefits that outweigh the disappointment in not getting some of the features that we want, then we should at least be demanding evidence to show that they are actually going to work out. This isn't the first time that EA has promised gameplay improvements, and in the past they have a less than stellar record of coming through. Given that many of the initial video releases cast serious doubt about the extent to which these promises will be delivered on, I think it is quite reasonable for people to be skeptical.

# 135 countryboy @ 05/23/09 03:35 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying that it equals failure either, but to me, if we're going to count these things as huge benefits that outweigh the disappointment in not getting some of the features that we want, then we should at least be demanding evidence to show that they are actually going to work out. This isn't the first time that EA has promised gameplay improvements, and in the past they have a less than stellar record of coming through. Given that many of the initial video releases cast serious doubt about the extent to which these promises will be delivered on, I think it is quite reasonable for people to be skeptical.

I never called them a huge benefit. People were stating how gameplay wasn't being improved while they were expressing their disappointment in Season Showdown. I was just reiterating that gameplay has been at least worked on. How good those improvements are will remain to be seen.

Nobody is saying that its unreasonable for people to be skeptical. I was just trying to remind people that had seem to have forgotten, that gameplay was in some way, shape, or form addressed this year.

# 136 countryboy @ 05/23/09 03:40 PM
Quote:
Also, what you guys fail to understand is that the developers don't owe you a thing. They are just part of another big corporation that is out to make money. I know this, and you this, yet people continue to reward them.
You're right, they don't owe us anything. But that hasn't stopped people from being demanding on these forums. And how are people rewarding them? I'm willing to bet that a vast majority of the people that are buying the game see no major issues with it. They are having fun with a college football game.

Quote:
Why do you think that the NCAA devs have been all but invisible on these forums?
Why do I think? Well, its crunch time for them I would suppose. So my guess is that they are trying to put all the finishing touches on the game. I have no idea why they are not here. But Adam was here last year when the poop hit the fan after release, no reason to think he, or others, won't be on here post release again this year.

# 137 rhombic21 @ 05/23/09 03:50 PM
Quote:
I was just reiterating that gameplay has been at least worked on. How good those improvements are will remain to be seen.
With all due respect, that's a pretty meaningless statement.

# 138 countryboy @ 05/23/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
With all due respect, that's a pretty meaningless statement.
no offense taken. But I'm not sure whats so meaningless about it.

# 139 rhombic21 @ 05/23/09 04:12 PM
Quote:
no offense taken. But I'm not sure whats so meaningless about it.
You want us to recognize that gameplay has been worked on. Ok, and then what? Whether they "worked" on gameplay doesn't really matter at all. What matters is whether gameplay is, in fact, improved. We have no evidence of this so far.

What you're essentially saying is that people should balance their frustrations about features that they KNOW won't be in the game against the POSSIBILITY that gameplay has been improved, which is completely irrational.

# 140 countryboy @ 05/23/09 04:22 PM
Quote:
You want us to recognize that gameplay has been worked on. Ok, and then what? Whether they "worked" on gameplay doesn't really matter at all. What matters is whether gameplay is, in fact, improved. We have no evidence of this so far.

What you're essentially saying is that people should balance their frustrations about features that they KNOW won't be in the game against the POSSIBILITY that gameplay has been improved, which is completely irrational.
No I didn't. People were saying that since Season Showdown was in the game, that gameplay got no work on it.

Never did I say that the gameplay was improved, never did I say that the fact they worked on gameplay means its ok that formation subs or in-game saves were omitted. Never did I say that people should balance their frustrations between two different things.

All I did was tell people that the dev team has addressed gameplay this year, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not sure how anyone could take it for more than that.

And you're right, we have no evidence that the gameplay is better. But in all honesty, we really have no evidence that the gameplay is not better.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.