Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I was a bit concerned with the E3 build (like most of you probably were) that were a lot of times where defenders would just bounce off instead of wrapping up. I am happy to say it is much improved...just played a full game against Donny (I was Vikings, he was Cardinals - he killed me BTW), and it was WAY better ... much more predictable and reliable than the E3 build.

I dug deeper to see what happened and found out that before E3 there was some tuning being done to dictate when gang tackles could be triggered, and the primary criteria was the angle of the ballcarrier in relation to the ground. Meaning, if a player was about to fall / touch the ground, he shouldn't be able to be gang tackled (obviously because he would warp back to upright). Apparently there were a few bugs in this calculation though, so often times it would think he was leaned over when in fact he wasn't. Now it has been tuned much more appropriately, and the gang tackles are really looking great.

As a side note, the momentum in PRO-TAK is also much more pronounced as well (and also finally doesn't stop when the players engage...it keeps moving throughout the tackle) Both Beanie Wells and Peterson really felt like they were carrying those first 2 defenders when they had a head of steam...which looked and felt great. Unfortunately I don't have vids but I'll try to get some soon.

Thought you'd like the update...on to looking at everyone's other favorite issue - the pass rush!

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 DGuinta1 @ 06/06/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Thanks for the update again Ian. I looking forward to the final version of the game in 2 months. BTW Ian will ya'll be doing any offline franchise blogs in the next few weeks??
+1

# 42 adembroski @ 06/06/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Still no word on 3-4 lineman drawing double teams or 4-3 DE being converted to OLB to play in the 3-4?
There's plenty of double teaming in the videos. As for the other, I assume you're talking about the Cardinals and Ravens Predator... which is in the game.

# 43 bigD_916 @ 06/06/09 06:01 PM
OH MAN!! This makes me so relieved!! I can now barely contain my excitement to play this game!! Come on August 14!

# 44 Rashad19 @ 06/06/09 06:02 PM
Welcome back Ian and thanks for the updates! Keep pushing forward the game is looking great and your in the home stretch!!

# 45 NYyankz225 @ 06/06/09 06:04 PM
I like the second post, Ian. I agree. I think when momentum works in the videos it looks really good. It's those times where it doesn't seem to apply at all that is jarring. If you focus on like that like you said, there won't be any of those WTF moments when looking at one guy do something ridiculous. Even if the momentum rates aren't 100% where you want them at least they replicate real physics and look good without sacrificing the gameplay.

Nice job Ian! Can't wait for the pass rush update.

# 46 K_GUN @ 06/06/09 06:04 PM
Hey Ian-

Great stuff last week.....oh and...

# 47 achain @ 06/06/09 06:05 PM
Ian,

I was a little harsh towards EA during E3 because of some of the presentation elements, but I am absolutely impressed with the improvements made to the core of the game. I've taken a step back from my hard-*** stance and am appreciating a lot of the innovations that you've put in this year. Sometimes it's hard to check your fandom at the door, but its obviously something that the community is passionate about; and we're glad you are as well. If you can somehow find a way to clean up the lines from Alex Flannigan during the extra point, all will be well.

# 48 Bgamer90 @ 06/06/09 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
Hey Ian-

Great stuff last week.....oh and...

LOL

That was a good show. But yep, the theme is very appropriate.

# 49 ch46647 @ 06/06/09 06:07 PM
Sounds great!

One thing people have brought up is the man coverage. Has this changed since CD? Adembroski even said he spent a significant amount of time in practice mode throwing at the Oakland cornerback (not sure how to spell his name) and it was literally impossible to get a completion on him. He also said the DB/WR josteling was great. Has this been scaled back? If so why was this done?

Thanks!

# 50 sportzbro @ 06/06/09 06:11 PM
Awesome news Ian.. I was definitely a little concerned after seeing all the E3 vids wondering where the Pro-Tak was. Glad it is being fixed.

# 51 Tyrant8RDFL @ 06/06/09 06:13 PM
This is why I told another member in the forum that you (Ian) are so dedicated into making your fans Of madden happy. This is great news.

I'm sure you will get the pass rush correct, and please don't forget the timing with the Wr's running their routes along with the pass rush. All that has to work as one.

Thxs again Ian. Your definitely a true football fan . You do know the game.

# 52 SteelerSpartan @ 06/06/09 06:21 PM
I really hope the Momentum can get ironed out, the blog about turn rates were what really put me on the hype train....so it was tough to see some of those glaring instances at E3

Everything else(Minus Half Time-Postgame Shows) Looks extremely promising

# 53 N51_rob @ 06/06/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Thought you'd like the update...on to looking at everyone's other favorite issue - the pass rush!
Thanks Ian, your hard work isn't lost on myself. I hope that you'll have the time to investigate the pass rush. Either way, this year for the first time in 2 or 3 seasons that I'm looking forward to Madden. You and your team have done a hell of a lot in this gamers opinion.

# 54 K_GUN @ 06/06/09 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Thanks Ian, your hard work isn't lost on myself. I hope that you'll have the time to investigate the pass rush. Either way, this year for the first time in 2 or 3 seasons that I'm looking forward to Madden. You and your team have done a hell of a lot in this gamers opinion.
+1

add me to the list as well

# 55 parrothead @ 06/06/09 06:27 PM
Were the warping animations being triggered by anything in particular? I think the Ricky Williams video is the most obvious one. Was that happening for HUM and CPU players? I love this kind of talk, it's kind of like X's and O's but with video games. Thanks, stay in touch.

# 56 adembroski @ 06/06/09 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
No I'm talking about taking a DE from the rosters and then changing him to an OLB to play in the 3-4. I want to know if he is going to drop 15-20 points like he did in years past. Also I didn't see much double teaming 3-4 lineman on the videos nor have I seen any commentary pointing it out, not saying you are wrong but I don't recall seeing it.
I gotcha... I didn't convert anyone at CD and haven't heard anything about it, so I can't say one way or the other.

As for double teams, watch this video at 0:52, you'll see two of them on one play.
http://www.operationsports.com/videoview.php?id=398

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Sounds great!

One thing people have brought up is the man coverage. Has this changed since CD? Adembroski even said he spent a significant amount of time in practice mode throwing at the Oakland cornerback (not sure how to spell his name) and it was literally impossible to get a completion on him. He also said the DB/WR josteling was great. Has this been scaled back? If so why was this done?

Thanks!
What I said was that WR/DB jostling wasn't happening enough at CD either, and now it seems to be non-existent. But, yes, it was damn near impossible to get a completion on Asomugha, just as it should be.

# 57 SeaNNyT @ 06/06/09 06:31 PM
I wonder with the little time they have left if improving some more of the QB animations is out of the question.

Little things like upper body motion during a throw. As well as the arm having correct extension and bend up until release, then correct follow through.

Also why do they always walk (this goes for all players) with bent arms, they don't naturally let them hang.

# 58 SoxFan01605 @ 06/06/09 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Thats cool.. But why cant the ball carrier be engaged in a gang tackle while falling to the ground? That would be sweet IMO. You see it a ton during games.
I think he was talking about an issue when the ballcarrier was already going to the ground (prior to additional tacklers adding on) additional tacklers piling on would end up causing a warping animation, standing the ballcarrier back up unnaturally.

I don't think it has anything to do with them bringing the guy down as a group (Though I'm not sure that's actually in either, and agree it would be cool if it was).

# 59 parrothead @ 06/06/09 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Thats cool.. But why cant the ball carrier be engaged in a gang tackle while falling to the ground? That would be sweet IMO. You see it a ton during games where a defender comes in and hits the ball carrier as he is falling.
I think, because all the animations/motion caputure thingys are for players standing up. Again, I think.

# 60 thesteamontheboat @ 06/06/09 06:53 PM
Ian great freaking job your the man!

Hey when you make the vids do you think you can make them comparison videos to see exactly what you mean with the percentages?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.