Home
Tiger Woods 10 News Post

For those of you that purchased Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10, please post your impressions here.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 241 DivotMaker @ 06/22/09 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
In four tries, I have yet to make a tournament cut. LOL

Now that's challenging.

And that's what golf is supposed to be.

If they fixed the announcers (aka, lined both of them up and shot them), allowed us to create our own tourneys (with full customization and online stuff), created more options (I don't like equipment boosts, I should be able to turn them off), etc... this game would go beyond great.
I must be playing a different game...I have won every Season mode event i have played. In TOUR Pro difficulty. I still feel challenged because I am not winning tournaments by 10-20 strokes like I was in TW09. Online though, I am not as good and find all the challenge I want there.

Agree with the announcer criticisms as they aren't as good as Feherty and McCord.....and customizable online tournaments are a great idea and something I have been recommending to TW Devs...

# 242 Zinger @ 06/23/09 07:59 AM
I've been playing the ps3 version for two or three days now and am impressed with the gameplay. Negative comments which I read on this board turn out to have been wrong 1) tempo DOES matter when swinging - if you pause at the top of the swing you will lose power 2) sidehill lies DO cause the ball to go somewhat left or right, though I'm still not sure if uphill and downhill lies have any effect 3) according to one of the tutorials, the ball CAN land anywhere in the target zone, not always the same place.

I thought the club tuner was one of the TW devs' best ever innovations last year and still think so. Being able to customise the game difficulty just the way one wants is great. It's a shame the offline tournaments (I don't play online) aren't more customisable. I haven't started playing them yet but already fear from what I've read of the unrealistic AI scoring, the lack of any apparent connection between AI scoring and course difficulty/conditions and the overdoing of rain and strong winds in the 'random weather' feature that the offline tournaments will be a disappointment for me. One other gameplay feature, new this year, which I'm enjoying, is the ability to have practice swings which tell you just how much power you're using. This makes those tricky in-between-distances approach shots much easier to judge.

# 243 Zalf @ 06/23/09 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
3) according to one of the tutorials, the ball CAN land anywhere in the target zone, not always the same place.
The tutorial lies. Go to the club tuner or a flat hole with no wind. Take 2(or 200) straight swings. The ball will land exactly in the middle of the circle and exactly on top of the shot(s) before. The tutorial is probably a carry over from '07.

I like the game but this is one of the biggest flaws regardless of what the tutorial claims.

# 244 djep @ 06/23/09 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I'll add another thought regarding tempo-relative swinging: try this experiment. Try and hit the ball 5 yards with your driver. You can't, because it can't be done. The game programming cheats by assisting you with every swing you take. If I pull the club back 6 inches and strike the ball with my driver, it should roll 10 feet, max. In TW, it flies off the club and into the air, and travels 50-60 yards. In other words, again, nothing remotely close to what can be called a tempo-relative swing. This "swing cheat" programming has always been a part of this game. The real-time swing dynamic the PGA 2000 developers brought over from that series has been dumbed down for TW series.
Isn't what you just described a tempo-relative swing interface? It's not 1:1 but it is "relative". Given the limitations of the stick on the X360 controller you can't compare this to a PC golf game with mouse support.

# 245 djep @ 06/23/09 12:15 PM
Quote:
I don't see how hitting a golf ball using a six inch backswing and watching it travel 50 yards, could in any way, shape or form be considered "tempo-relative." Maybe relative in relation to unreality, or perhaps Moon physics...?

Maybe part of the issue has to do with a lack of sensitivity with the console controller as you said. But when this issue is brought up, Links 2004 on the Xbox is always cited as a game that included a workable and well-done tempo-relative swing.
Moon physics? Maybe I can actually reach some of the fairways on Bethpage with that.

The swing definitely isn't as well done as in Links but it is predictable and consistent. The one thing I like more about the swing in TW is that it is more challenging to hit the shots straight.

# 246 OnlookerDelay @ 06/24/09 09:29 PM
Quote:
Funny what makes different people happy/miserable. I too shoot somewhere around +6 every round, and I think it's fantastic!
Agreed, I was +13 in today's "EXTREME" Tour Pro event. I hit 50% FIR's and 50% GIR's, had no birdies, 8 bogies, a double bogey, and a triple bogey. I had more fun with this round than I did with a 62 that I shot in my PGA Season Tour event. What I liked the least about it was the gridless green setting.

For the most part, I'm clueless on gridless greens. Unless I've gotten a read from a pitch, chip or putt, I pretty much hit the ball straight at the hole when there's the least hint of doubt. I don't know how much longer I'll strive to improve with gridless greens as I don't think the game's graphics are capable of giving me the read my own eyes would give me in real life. The grid makes up for this limitation of the game's graphics, IMO.

# 247 DivotMaker @ 06/24/09 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay

For the most part, I'm clueless on gridless greens. Unless I've gotten a read from a pitch, chip or putt, I pretty much hit the ball straight at the hole when there's the least hint of doubt. I don't know how much longer I'll strive to improve with gridless greens as I don't think the game's graphics are capable of giving me the read my own eyes would give me in real life. The grid makes up for this limitation of the game's graphics, IMO.
John,

Try using the right bumper to see the green at ground level and pay attention to how the ball reacts once it hits the green to get an idea of how the slope is around each hole. I shot E today on the Extreme and left about 6 shots on the course....I am really digging gridless rounds so much I am about to employ it for my PGA TOUR Season....

# 248 Zinger @ 06/25/09 02:06 AM
[quote=OnlookerDelay;2039747210
For the most part, I'm clueless on gridless greens. [/quote]

They should implement the Links system for gridless greens - an aiming stick which has a 'shadow' in the direction of the slope and short or long according to the severity of the slope. You move the aiming stick along the line of the putt and form a good idea of any undulations, no grid required. I think this system is unimprovable for video golf where no amount of graphical enhancement can give you a reliable read of the greens.

# 249 sroz39 @ 06/25/09 03:09 PM
What they need to incorporate is the ability to "walk" around on the greens, so to speak. Right now, if I turn off the green grid, I have two choices to read the putt: use the three available camera angles (which are all behind the golfer) or hold the B button (360) to zoom up to the marker. Problem is, the camera is a bird's eye view at that point and not very informative. I know I can sort of tell where the putt's gonna go based on the marker telling me the elevation change. That's not good enough.

Let me take a walk on the green with a floating camera or at worse, Links 2004's system where you get the camera going towards the hole at ground level, swing around 180 degrees and head back to your ball, at ground level. It's the LEAST they could incorporate.

On that note, they also need to allow you to take a look at the undulation of the green when you're hitting an approach shot, that way I know where I can aim to bring the ball back to hole with my wedge and also plan out where I wanna leave a ball if I don't hit my shot perfect. Most PC golf games give you this option.

# 250 DivotMaker @ 06/25/09 04:16 PM
Quote:
Hey Divotmaker, I just played a round with the grid off, using this method to read greens. I was surprised: I was able to read the greens and even made a couple of 15-20 foot putts. Very nice. I might be switching to this, thanks.
You're welcome. Always glad to share ideas on how to create more challenge/immersion into games. Now if EA would make this standard on TOUR PRO with some additional camera options or even use the current distance marker, but improve it to include slope information like Links and we should be good to go. I prefer the added camera angles that can be zoomed in and out around the cup over the slope indicator on the distance marker though. Makes me feel more like I am walking around the cup and reading a green like sroz stated above....playing with grids off brings in the unknown when reading greens much like the unknown when trying to read them in real life. The grid gives the user too much info IMO....

# 251 sroz39 @ 06/25/09 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
You're welcome. Always glad to share ideas on how to create more challenge/immersion into games. Now if EA would make this standard on TOUR PRO with some additional camera options or even use the current distance marker, but improve it to include slope information like Links and we should be good to go. I prefer the added camera angles that can be zoomed in and out around the cup over the slope indicator on the distance marker though. Makes me feel more like I am walking around the cup and reading a green like sroz stated above....playing with grids off brings in the unknown when reading greens much like the unknown when trying to read them in real life. The grid gives the user too much info IMO....
The only thing I like about this is that it allows me to read the greens more like a pro. I'm not saying pros see a "grid" when they read putts, but they are able to process the information they see alot better than the average hack. I'm no hack (10 handicap) but I don't kid myself into thinking I could read a green anywhere close to a pro's ability to do so. If I was forced to use my green reading skills straight up, with no help, I would never putt like a pro does and in the end, I think this game is still trying to convey you taking your created character and becoming a pro.

Having said all that, if they could put in a mechanic other than the grid that will allow me to read a green with some efficiency, I'd be all for it because all the different colours and moving dots definitely take away from the immersion.

# 252 Klocker @ 06/25/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
They should implement the Links system for gridless greens - an aiming stick which has a 'shadow' in the direction of the slope and short or long according to the severity of the slope. You move the aiming stick along the line of the putt and form a good idea of any undulations, no grid required. I think this system is unimprovable for video golf where no amount of graphical enhancement can give you a reliable read of the greens.
yes. THIS. Please.

# 253 ThomasP @ 06/25/09 07:01 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread, please, how do you change weather option in career mode from random to live? Thanks

# 254 OnlookerDelay @ 06/25/09 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Try using the right bumper to see the green at ground level and pay attention to how the ball reacts once it hits the green to get an idea of how the slope is around each hole. I shot E today on the Extreme and left about 6 shots on the course....I am really digging gridless rounds so much I am about to employ it for my PGA TOUR Season....
Anyhoo, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I had a case of the shanks today in my Single-Try Daily (I was DFL on the leaderboard when I finished ) They carried over into the EXTREME and when I shanked my tee shot OB on the first tee, I flew hot and hit the quit button... not realizing the finality of what my hissy was costing me

I've been using the "low" view via the right bumper and it works for me to some extent. If the slope isn't subtle I can see it overall, but if there's a multiple or variable break, I just flat don't see it. I missed about four putts in yesterday's round where I totally misread the direction of the break.

I'll admit to not being as attentive as I should be to how the ball reacts when it hits the greens. I should get some pretty good information because I'm currently only hitting 56% of the greens in regulation (20% sweetspot irons own me!). I miss a lot of them badly enough to require a lot of 20 to 30 yard pitches. I deloft pitch shots a lot of the time to make them roll like real life pitch shots, so I'm probably getting more data there that I'm simply not paying the right sort of attention to.... I'm bad about hitting the fast forward button!

# 255 DivotMaker @ 06/25/09 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
1. I've been using the "low" view via the right bumper and it works for me to some extent. If the slope isn't subtle I can see it overall, but if there's a multiple or variable break, I just flat don't see it. I missed about four putts in yesterday's round where I totally misread the direction of the break.

2. I'll admit to not being as attentive as I should be to how the ball reacts when it hits the greens. I should get some pretty good information because I'm currently only hitting 56% of the greens in regulation (20% sweetspot irons own me!). I miss a lot of them badly enough to require a lot of 20 to 30 yard pitches. I deloft pitch shots a lot of the time to make them roll like real life pitch shots, so I'm probably getting more data there that I'm simply not paying the right sort of attention to.... I'm bad about hitting the fast forward button!
1. Speed is so crucial when putting with no grids. I have turned the grids off in my Season mode and it is just so much more challenging. The better I judge the speed, the better my results in making putts or comeback lengths.

2. I went all over the place with my clubs, but the last thing I have tried is the Expert clubs, backing off on the distance to where I have a 30% sweetspot on drivers, fairway woods and irons. I can sacrifice some distance, it is the mi****s that kill me and 30% seems to be my "sweetspot" for playability and challenge.

# 256 green94 @ 06/26/09 03:11 PM
This game is flat out awesome. I haven't played a TW game that has been this good and a long time.

Quick question for those who play online, is there anywhere to see your individual record against friends that you play?

We always have a group of 4 and I'd like to see how I stack up against each of them individually instead of just seeing that my online record is 6-4 or whatever.

# 257 gbx34 @ 06/26/09 03:45 PM
I have the Wii version and i like.

Is there any real reason to buy this game other then i want better graphics and for those lazy days?

# 258 Flightwhite24 @ 07/04/09 09:44 AM
Fellows do you have to unlock every block in the challenge's to open up the course's???? I am having a hell of a time with getting the courses open. I have not unlocked one yet. I don't want to take the easy route and buy them.

# 259 DivotMaker @ 07/05/09 02:32 AM
Quote:
There's no way you'll unlock them all if you don't play on Amateur or Beginner, and use Classic putting. Just suck it up and go for it. If I can do it, anybody can.
I actually made it through all of the Challenges and 3 of the bonus challenges on Amateur and Precision putting....but some of the challenges like the one on Doral where you have to drive the green simply cannot be done in TOUR Pro....

# 260 NC State-31 UNC-27 @ 07/05/09 07:39 PM
I'm working on the challenges right now, had to put it on Amateur, even then I've done some of these things 25 times or more.

Eventually I want to make a new profile and try to do as many as I can on Tour Pro

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.