Home
Tiger Woods 10 News Post

For those of you that purchased Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10, please post your impressions here.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 gbx34 @ 07/07/09 01:04 AM
Anyone else really annoyed with the black screens in between shots?

# 262 DivotMaker @ 07/07/09 01:17 AM
Can't recall seeing that here....however, I am out of the country and nowhere near my 360....

# 263 therizing02 @ 07/07/09 08:58 AM
I picked up this game last week after reading this entire thread. It's the first time I've bought a golf game since Links 2004.

I never bought TW because I always thought that it was too easy after watching a friend of mine shoot a 58 in TW06. Add the silly explosions, ball trail, ridiculous costumes, and this game was for children only IMO.

TW 10 is a step in the right direction. After a playing EVERYDAY for the last week, my best round has been a 68 at Hazeltine. The difficulty is there and the game is a pretty good representation of the sport. The Club tuner is a nice addition provided you can win enough challenges to unlock the expert clubs. Oh that's right, I can buy them if I want to.

Unfortunately, I see no reason to keep the game because other than the Tour Challenge, there isn't one playable gameplay mode because of the unrealistic scores.

PGA Tour season is a joke at best. CPU simulation scores are ridiculous. Players shooting 60-62 at Torrey Pines with 30mph winds? C'mon.

I tried an online tournament but quit after I saw the leader shot a 50 at Doral. Arcade game?

Am I missing something here? TW 08 on the PC is starting sound like a better option. Sad but true.

# 264 daviv @ 07/25/09 04:17 PM
I borrowed this from the library (PS3) and it's the best golf game I've ever played. I have a short attention span with games and actually made it through a full 18 hole course. Shot +19 over par but was hitting birdies near the end. This game is a definite buy for me in the future. I can see myself playing this a couple of times a day to kill a bit of time.

# 265 Piner @ 07/30/09 03:22 PM
I finally have had a chance to play Tiger Woods 10 for the XBox 360. Below are my “Pros” and “Cons”.

Pros

Golf engine is very good.
Courses are beautiful.
New putting mechanism is outstanding. You really feel like you did something if you sink a long one. Great work on this EA!
Tournament atmosphere is really good. The expanded crowds, roars from around the course, grandstands, dynamic updates, and leaderboards are all big plus. I finally feel like I am playing in a golf tournament. I would like to see on course caddies that provided the wind and distance info though.

Cons

The computer generated scores for your CPU opponents in offline mode are a GAMEKILLER for me. I enjoy offline, career mode only and when the tournaments winners are always being around 20 to 30 under par it really destroys the immersion factor. This just ridiculous. In addition, if that is not bad enough, there are a long list of players right behind the leader with -19, -18, -17, etc. Golf tournaments simply don't play out that way. I'm not looking to win each tournament. But I would like to see the Final Results leaderboard that looked something similar to this:

1.Tiger Woods -9
2.Jim Furyk -8
3.Kenny Perry -6
4.Phil Mickelson -5
Sergio Garcia -5
Zach Johnson -5
5.Anthony Kim -3
6.Steve Stricker -1
7.Ernie Els E
8.Boo Weekly E
9.J.B. Holmes E
10.Stewart Cink E

This is a realistic looking leaderboard. No crazy scores at the top, no long list of dozens of players with under par tournaments scores. Imagine if they did something like this Madden offline franchise mode. You play your season game and win 24-17, but all the other games in the NFL that week had scores like:

Denver 72 Pittsburgh 64 Dallas 62
Oakland 24 Baltimore 56 Washington 49

You get the idea. It would just be unbalanced. It puzzles me how EA continues to struggle with this seemingly simple problem to solve. At the very least they could fix this problem by simply creating a slightly differently random number generation algorithm that capped the best scores at around -15 and the worst scores at around +10. They could make it even more realistic by “weighting” randomly generated scores by the CPU players skill level and the course difficulty to yield a score. Every other game in EA Sports' line makes a pretty decent effort at emulating the season aspect of their sports, Madden, NCAA Football, NBA Live, NHL, etc, with the exception of Tiger Woods games. EA can't decide if they want to have Tiger Woods an arcade game or a simulation game. Imagine playing Madden football and having to unlock NFL stadiums. More poor design decisions by EA sports. If it is broken, please fix it!!

Commentators and their commentary is a straight up F-. Why are earth do you dump McCord and Feherty. They had good commentary, know something about golf, and you already had a ton of previously recorded material. Dumb move EA. Quite often change is a bad thing. If it isn't broken, don't fix it!!!

Charging 600 Microsoft points for a single course it just a big ripoff. What makes matters worse is that you can't even use the course in offline season mode. This is just lame.

I don't want to end this post without offering what I believe are some constructive suggestions to make this years game more playable and to improve next years game.

1.Please release at patch for Tiger Woods 10 (Xbox 360/PS3) to address the offline CPU scores.

2.Provide a “Career Editor” in Tiger Woods 11. This “Career Editor” could be just like the one they had in their PC version of Tiger Woods 06. This tool would allow the user to create a custom PGA tour season, by selecting venues, naming tournaments, pin positions, purses, etc.

3.Now I don't know how feasible this would be but I would at least like to float this idea. Create an online “Course Editor”, similar to what the NCAA 10 football team did with their TeamBuilder idea. With this online “Course Editor” the user community could create an unlimited number of golf courses that could be downloaded to Xbox Live/PSN. The Tiger Woods community would have a large number of courses to play on their Xbox 360's and PS3's.

4.Use the same Teambuilder idea to allow us to create our own shirts, pants, hats, etc. We could then create golf outfits with the real sponsors, logos, etc.

# 266 DivotMaker @ 08/03/09 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
It's too bad, because they address this issue in the Wii version with a slider.
Evidently not according to the feedback from Wii users like Seymour S......

# 267 Casper @ 08/16/09 05:12 PM
After reading all the bad remarks about the way the cpu scores I had to rent it and find out for myself. It really does suck and is a absolute "game killer"3 yrs in a roll I've yet to buy TW's ... I wish some dedicated developers who really love's golf would step up to the plate and give these people who work for EA some competion.Not fond of this TW series at all.......

# 268 pietasterp @ 08/24/09 02:01 AM
Rented it...returned it. What it boils down to is that I never have, and clearly never will, like the Tiger Woods core gameplay engine. It feels wrong to me, I can't explain it any more intelligently than that. Coupled with my real distaste for its visual style (the overly dark "pastel" color pallete) and the fact that it remains essentially unchanged year-to-year (barring FINALLY fixing the most amazingly stupid putting system ever conceived in the history of videogames), and I am basically done trying to play Tiger Woods. It's abdundantly clear at this point that no legitimate contender to Tiger Woods will ever be released, which means I'm pretty much done with videogame golf in general. Which is sad, because it's always been my favorite genre. But short of a new Links game being released, there does not appear to be a legitimate sim-golf game available on any platform anymore (whatever happened to PC being the last bastion for videogame golf?), which makes me a bit sad.

Sports videogames used to be such a fun hobby...NFL football games were getting so good, videogame golf had many programs on the market, there was no such thing as exclusivity...

# 269 Motown @ 10/03/09 05:57 PM
Anyone know where i can find or d'ld the control configurations for PS3, to this game? thanks

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.