Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

Pasta Padre has posted an article entitled, NCAA Football Heading Down Generic Path.

Quote:
"Player names and how they are dealt with in EA Sports NCAA Football series has always been a sensitive subject. While there has been discussion over the years to reach agreement with the NCAA to allow names in that has not come to fruition. The last couple versions of NCAA Football have brought about some new community based features such as the EA Locker for roster sharing and Teambuilder. The Sam Keller lawsuit may or may not directly affect what happens with NCAA Football but it does seem to coincide with a move towards a more generic-rostered game. This especially considering the rosters found on Teambuilder that apparently are the final rosters shipping with the game."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 rudyjuly2 @ 06/09/09 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
EA started this fight, my friend. I'm just glad I'll finally get to see 'em lose it.
Enough already. That deal happened years ago and the NFL was the biggest jerk in the whole thing. If NCAA football sucks down the road, we ALL lose. Too bad you can't see that through your fanboy goggles.

# 62 ak1knight @ 06/09/09 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmegamer
This is raising my temperature. If they dont have a really good QB on Texas squad they aren't Texas and I want be picking the game up simple, because it's already generic.
Don't worry, Colt is a 98

# 63 marcoyk @ 06/09/09 09:30 PM
WOW. Look at Brian Kaldenberg's first response to the article on PastaPadre. Then look at Anon's replies to Brian Kaldenberg's response. Pasta got owned.

# 64 rudyjuly2 @ 06/09/09 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
The NFL was the jerk? I guess the NCAA and the arena league were also the big jerks who just happened to bully poor little EA into the exclusives as well.

LoL...

Did you ever consider there could be a world where EA, 2k, SCEA, Ubisoft, Backbreaker, etc., ALL make college football games and us consumers actually have a choice on which ones to buy? I swear...EA has some of you guys so brainwashed, with your "if NCAA sucks we all lose" nonsense...
You are just too bitter man. You need to let it go.

The NFL went exclusive and EA was happy to go along with it. The NFL does everything exclusive and everything it does is about money. They don't care about the fans unless it hurts them in the pocket book. Why does Direct TV have an exclusive deal for the Sunday Ticket? That screws people over too.

I never bought Madden 04. I was 2K4 exclusive and loved it. I would have loved to see what 2K6 would have been like but can we give this argument a rest? It's over. Done. Finished. College games can't even support two makers. There just isn't a big enough market and 2K pulled their college game before any exclusive deal with the NCAA.

I agree competition is best for everyone. I think 99% of the people would agree. But what on earth does wishing a game will suck do? It won't bring back 2K football. The Sam Keller lawsuit would help nobody - exclusive deal or not. It's just pure bitterness on your part.

# 65 rudyjuly2 @ 06/09/09 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
I played both games at E3. Unless the demo somehow wins me back, I'm passing on NCAA this year.

I really wish both titles could progress at the same rate.
I'm really trying to get excited for NCAA 10 but it's so damn hard. Especially after you read stuff like this. Madden is focusing on all the stuff I want while the NCAA team seems to ignore everything I like. Dynasty mode is the one big thing the NCAA team has. It's like crack and if it weren't for that, I would most likely pass on this game. I still might but that demo better be good.

# 66 marcoyk @ 06/09/09 10:56 PM
Hahahahaha!!! I just laughed at that for about two minutes. Thank you happyvally74. The smiley made it.

# 67 RaiderKtulu @ 06/09/09 11:17 PM
I love all the panic over some random speculation.

Why don't you wait till something actually happens before claiming the end of civilization and/or the ncaa series?

# 68 Lava @ 06/10/09 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjussawalla
No need, you can probably download a roster from someone's EA Locker.
There is a need, though. Online ranked games would be unplayable without accurate rosters. If the TeamBuilder rosters are those in the game, I will skip NCAA 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I love all the panic over some random speculation.

Why don't you wait till something actually happens before claiming the end of civilization and/or the ncaa series?

But it's not random speculation. If you read the article, pasta said he asked at E3 and was told the TeamBuilder rosters are those that will be in the game.

# 69 Dr Death @ 06/10/09 01:04 AM
Forgive me if this seems to ramble a bit, when you've read thread after thread and hundreds of posts, you kind of get numb about the whole thing. That said, what really bothers me is all the hype over SS... something that the majority of the community have zero interest in. Go to SS mode and take your school to the title... Only they forgot to mention that your school's rosters are so whacked that there's no chance in hell you can succeed.

I try to remain positive in my posts because, and I'm sure this is the same for the lot of you... I want NCAA to be great. I want them to succeed. I want the game to be better and I want certain things implemented and I've always felt you get more done by being polite.

That said, why would SS be so directly tied to something that you basically can't win at? Here's a new feature that you really didn't want nor ask for, oh, and by the way, it's geared to screw you anyway.

What scares me about this is the direction the game appears to be taking. Frustration abounds and I apologize if I have repeated what somebody else has already said. Let's just hope that when the Team Builder site goes from Beta to real, all the created teams don't get lost.

# 70 Happyvally74 @ 06/10/09 01:11 AM
What bothers me is that if Penn State loses the SS (not likely), then I will feel like a loser till next year.

# 71 huskeraddict @ 06/10/09 02:29 AM
I've been buying NCAA every year since NCAA 99 and will be buying this year. However, if NCAA goes generic with rosters and/or teams, I'll be finished with the series. This year's version has already been disappointing but I love college football and love the series.

# 72 blackscorpion11 @ 06/10/09 05:40 AM
LOL Cmon Born! Rock up soldier! This is non issue now that we have team builder.. I could care less about "real" roster names, they'll be gone in 2 Dynasty seasons anyway..

# 73 blackscorpion11 @ 06/10/09 05:49 AM
I don't have an issue with the rosters not being accurate.. Even though it seems easy enough to hire 4 college students to research the rosters and correct them??

My issue is that the rosters are always laced with overrated players!! You can bet your original unopened copy of jet set radio that TIM Tebow will be breakin tackles and running over people like a fullback in this yrs game....

Overrated..

# 74 stlstudios189 @ 06/10/09 08:06 AM
I was excited about this game.

# 75 Accfsu34 @ 06/10/09 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
I don't have an issue with the rosters not being accurate.. Even though it seems easy enough to hire 4 college students to research the rosters and correct them??

My issue is that the rosters are always laced with overrated players!! You can bet your original unopened copy of jet set radio that TIM Tebow will be breakin tackles and running over people like a fullback in this yrs game....

Overrated..
....... but........ he does that in real life.

# 76 JBH3 @ 06/10/09 09:26 AM
I love being able to have at least 2-4 seasons of real players, but I'd much rather take real headcoaches and have a staff if that was at all possible.

Having a real/dynamic coach carousel of hiring/firing coaches would be much more suitable to college football than a few seasons of real names.

# 77 jdrhammer @ 06/10/09 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
LOL Cmon Born! Rock up soldier! This is non issue now that we have team builder.. I could care less about "real" roster names, they'll be gone in 2 Dynasty seasons anyway..
Wrong! We just started our 6th season in our OD and there were still plenty of top players who were 5th year SR's that were originals.

# 78 egkb2753 @ 06/10/09 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by egkb2753
At first I was dissapointed when I saw the article, but now when I think about it, it's really not that bad. As long as the EA locker is available then I don't see a problem with any of this. The only thing these lawsuits and allegations might affect are the default rosters shipped with the game, that's it. College football video games have been produced since the mid 90's, if I'm not mistaken, and it doesn't seem like the NCAA has a problem with it (I'm sure paying them an exorbitant amount of money doesn't hurt much either).

As long as EA doesn't include the names, or an exact replication of who the player is and their personal information, there's nothing anyone can really do. Ever notice how a player's hometown in the game is always incorrect? Or how their height and/or weight is slightly off? That's to prevent any sort of reflection of the actual player who just might play that position who just might player for that specific team.

All in all, I highly doubt there is anything anyone can do as long EA has this exclusivity license. While these rosters might be extremely flawed, be thankful that there are going to be more than a handful of roster makers working hard to create their own and put it on the EA locker, and that you actually have the ability to edit them yourself. But of course, that would require some hard work
I feel like I need to quote my own post, mostly because everyone is acting like the world is coming to an end. As long as the game has the ability to edit rosters, and the EA Locker, what is the big deal?

# 79 egkb2753 @ 06/10/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
That some gets paid to do a subpar job...Plus the fact the rosters that usually come with the game aren't all that accurate and those usually take 2 weeks or so for the Roster Gods to do their magic, this atrocity could take upwards of a month.
I have been buying NCAA since 2002 and since it made its debut on the next gen, created rosters have been released right around the game's release. Last year, most of the roster makers had a roster available within a day or two of the game's release. One thing I think most are forgetting is that you can edit the rosters yourself, but oh wait, that takes patience and dedication, and maybe a little perseverance.

# 80 rudyjuly2 @ 06/10/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by egkb2753
I feel like I need to quote my own post, mostly because everyone is acting like the world is coming to an end. As long as the game has the ability to edit rosters, and the EA Locker, what is the big deal?
For online ranked games (not dynasty), you have to use the default rosters which can really bug people. It's not nearly as big a deal for those that only play offline.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.