Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA just posted part 2 of their Madden NFL 10 Franchise Mode improvements Q&A.

Quote:
"I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Glorious Arc @ 06/16/09 07:10 PM
@stux

Great points and I agree completely.

I forget to add that older more experienced players could help the younger players progress faster as well.

@everyone who does not see the whole picture

This whole system irks me because its nothing like what happens IRL. I dont mean to insult anyone(devs) because they have been doing a great job this year but by making stats the only reason for progression seems really lazy. Anyone who thinks that a player who rushes for 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns should jump from a 70 overall to a 90 overall if he has the potential just because he put up those numbers is missing the complete picture.

Why do you think NFL teams have training camps and workouts during the offseason? Why do you think there is a preseaon and a lot of the starters play rather poorly in the first few games? Why do you think there is such a premium on coaches? Its because those are factors that develop the team. That team then has the chance to produce.

# 122 gr18 @ 06/16/09 07:16 PM
I would think as long as the potentials are reasonable everything should be alright.Even if you put up great stats it isn't like in years past when people would take an Andre Woodson or remember Adrian McPherson and turn 'em into a 99.Those guys probably wouldn't have the potential to be over an 80 tops.

# 123 18manning18 @ 06/16/09 07:23 PM
Yea but theres a difference between complaining and giving constructive criticism as to what they should change or do differently. I don't have a problem with the latter whatsoever. Saying something is broken is cool, how about saying what they should change instead.

# 124 gr18 @ 06/16/09 07:29 PM
I've never seen another game where people wrestle with themselves whether to give up the $60.I'm sure many of these people are much more wasteful with their money in other ways in life or with other videogames.

More than likely you'll get much more playing time with Madden '10 then you will with most action games that you'll beat in 20 hrs. or less.

That being said,I certainly understand not wanting to give EA money again for an inferior product.I bought '06 for the PS2 at Christmas time for $20 then didn't buy '07-played 2k5,bought '08 after I got a 360-went back to 2k5,didn't buy '09-still played 2k5.

So I'm far from a Madden fanboy and much closer to a 2k fanboy but am impressed enough by the dev crew and don't understand how you couldn't be.Not everythings perfect but c'mon now lets be realistic.It's the biggest yearly turn-around I've seen.We haven't played it yet so nobody can have 100% certainty.

# 125 Jono078 @ 06/16/09 07:38 PM
Progression still seems suss to me, last year we were told it was improved but that was not true.

With this blog I was hoping to hear more about it.

And i'm also disappointed it still only happens in the off season.

Why do we get weekly roster updates with rating changes? Why not wait til the SB then release 1 big ratings update? Right, it sounds silly.

If you have this 50 rated player and he kills it for a month, you can't expect them to do it for the whole year and then progress for the following season. I propose a monthly progression system, That was if someone is in outstanding form they will be recognized for it right away.

Anyway, moving on that's something for Madden 11 now, hopefully what's in 10 will be good enough and much better than 09.

# 126 gr18 @ 06/16/09 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion
Exactly, I'm not going to complain about the game play until I've actually played it, but that doesn't mean I can't be mad that they wasted 5 minutes of my life with that sad excuse for a blog.
I'm not exactly thrilled with the blog either.I found it too concise and clearly pointed in the 'positive answer' direction.That certainly isn't questioning Josh's integrety though.He's a busy guy and from seeing how some posters react I can understand staying away from the 'it won't be in this year's'.

# 127 FOREST007 @ 06/16/09 07:44 PM
yea, i rushed to a computer on my lunch break just to see what was said...im so disappointed right now. im still gonna buy it tho

# 128 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 06/16/09 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Can someone please tell me how many former players become coaches? I can understand as positional coaches, but Ive always hated that you seen top players become head coaches in the game, when that never really happens.
This was probably answered by now, but I figured I'd throw in my $.02 anyway.

Recent NFL Head Coaches that Played In the NFL:
Dick Jauron (Bills)
Gary Kubiak (Texans)
Tony Dungy (no longer with a team)
Bill Cowher (same as Dungy)
Jack Del Rio (Jaguars)
Jeff Fisher (Titans)
Herm Edwars (same as Cowher)
Tom Cable (Raiders)
Jim Zorn (Redskins)
Sean Payton (Saints, practice squad player in NFL)
Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals)
Jim Haslett (no longer with team or coordinator for Rams, not sure which)
Mike Singletary (49ers)
Mike Holmgren (no longer with team)

I'm sure there's others that I cannot think of but I know these guys for sure were players in the NFL.

# 129 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 07:47 PM
Will the new franchise hub not allow for us to view CPU vs CPU games?

# 130 gr18 @ 06/16/09 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Exactly. FadeEmAll's awesome post was for nothing I guess. It had everything everybody wanted to know.

What would have been the harm in answering the questions?
I agree with what you're saying but FadeEmAll seemed to be O.K. with the responses by his post on the first page and happy overall with the direction headed.

# 131 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 07:54 PM
Hopefully draft pick trades are more realistic. I'd like to see Madden go directly from an NFL trade value chart.

# 132 Sanchez_Mareno @ 06/16/09 07:55 PM
I want progression to be noted.
As in you get a email etc telling you when its happened. So you dont go looking at a players ratings and suddenly its lower or higher then you remember

# 133 Jono078 @ 06/16/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywal
Personally I'd be all for a weekly progression system. Or a confidence rating (a purely performance based rating) that adjusts weekly. High confidence gives players slight bonuses, low confidence has the reverse effect. You see it in the NFL when a player has a good week, he gets a confidence boost and he can build on it. It works the other way too, when a QB comes out and has a bad game, often it can become a slump and they have to fight really hard to get out of it or even they get pulled.

I am expecting a major overhaul of the current progression for Madden 11 though. Josh said they simply made this years progression playable, and are looking to implement a better progression system in the future. I'm hoping that means in the next dev cycle...
Yes, even a confidence rating/meter would do the job until the off season progression. Id have no problem with that.

But really progression every 4 weeks should be the MINIMUM. As I said it's gonna be hard to have those breakout seasons with a player when they stay 50 OVR the whole year?

I want to start pre season, then play a low rated player a lot in pre season he goes good so he gets a jump. Few weeks into the season he replaces a injured player and goes very well, id like to see that shown in 4 weeks times by jumping up even more.

It just makes sense.

With how the progression is now, if you have the best roster by round 6, youre a damn good chance of winning the Super Bowl because your roster wont change, only injuries will be a factor.

# 134 krc1130 @ 06/16/09 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Both scrubs in the NFL.

The scrubs are the ones that become coaches most often, not superstars (which is what will be the case in Madden I bet).
Jim Zorn, the Washington Head Coach, had a successful enough career in the NFL, so i wouldn't say they were all scrubs.

# 135 achain @ 06/16/09 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1130
Jim Zorn, the Washington Head Coach, had a successful enough career in the NFL, so i wouldn't say they were all scrubs.
Zorn threw more INTs than TDs by a pretty wide margin if I remember correctly.

He was fun to watch, at-least. But I wouldn' even come close to saying he was good

Anyway, I'm totally bummed about this blog. Franchise is mostly neglected once again from having basic features being implemented like a working IR system. How do they keep missing this ****? Kudos, EA - you filled out the back of the box nicely this year.

# 136 Ed O'Neil @ 06/16/09 08:16 PM
So one of my favourite things to do is import Draft Classes from NCAA .. so if I do that are they saying I'm not going to find those Diamonds in the Rough?

# 137 gr18 @ 06/16/09 08:19 PM
Just to say,and once again I'm a 2k5 guy,2k5's progression was very bad,predetermined at the end of the year no matter what the stats.The only fix is Finn's editor.I know this has nothing to do with what Madden '10 should have.I thought I heard about in-franchise rating editing.I know,I know it isn't the same thing but....

# 138 mattsb84 @ 06/16/09 08:29 PM
So if i read this blog accurately, they're basically putting things in or actually fixing things in franchise that were in last gen years ago. This actually includes online franchise as well. It was done back in 03 or 04 and in typical EA fashion, got ignored for....CREATE A FAN!!! Well played sirs.

Add feature, remove feature, rinse repeat. Crowd goes wild....

IR and the correct roster limits has been broken/wrong since almost the beginning of time...they fix that yet? How about a realistic cap increase through the years? I think by season 3 or so you usually have enough cap space to sign whoever the hell you want provided you don't do silly things like cut/trade players and take gigantic cap hits. Hall of fame? They had that back in 05 or 06 i think and then it disappeared for no reason. The list goes on. I wont bother with in game things that have been missing/wrong since forever..no multiple penalties on one play? Really? I will give them kudos to adding 1/2 sacks/tackles...2k did that last gen, but whatever, EA finally got around to it.

# 139 marcoyk @ 06/16/09 08:55 PM
Nice information. The Franchise presentation looks so much better than last year and what could that guy be saying while he has the camera on him in The Extra Point show? I'm guessing it's just like an introduction to the Extra Point. I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

# 140 roadman @ 06/16/09 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion
Haha, yeah, they may ACT like we should worship the ground they walk on for being here, and have an attitude about it, but I think they're smarter than to come right out and say it, because they know it would cost them customers.

I have not personally seen any EA rep act like that, thankfully, and I'm sure they know if they did say something along the lines of 'you're lucky we even talk to you', that would be the worst business decision EVER.

They are trying to re-establish a positive reputation by being involved in the community, and it would totally be counter-productive for them to then say 'you're lucky we're doing this'... Nobody here MADE them do this, they are doing it because it is smart for business.

The only people saying that kinda thing are EA fanboys who think if they defend EA in a thread, that Ian or someone will send them a PM saying 'oh gosh, thanks, I really want to say that but I can't...' and it just won't happen.

EA knows it would be suicide for them to say or do something like that, so what they're doing instead, is staying in the community JUST BARELY enough to stay in the spotlight, but they won't do anything above and beyond for us, the customer, because they know that 80% of people will be SATISFIED with a 15 (14, 13) question blog that shows us basically NOTHING about what we are going to pay for. They want us to pay BEFORE we realize that there is no substance and it's garbage. But we keep getting strung along by crappy little blogs about nothing.
You would be more correct if we were a large portion of Madden customers, but the internet isn't even close.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.