Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The demo of the game was brief but developers gave us a good sense of what the approach is this year. Since moving development away from the now-defunct Kush and bringing NHL duties to 2K's internal Visual Concepts studio, the focus has been two-fold. Last year, it was simply getting a playable hockey game out the door on a shortened development cycle. While that game was met with lukewarm critical reception, the focus for NHL 2K10's full year development has been to continue to lower the barrier of entry for more casual hockey fans.

With NHL 2K10, opening up the game to more players includes making the game more appealing for multiplayer. As producers put it, they're looking to put the "party" back in multiplayer hockey videogames, adding a sense of fun to the game while focusing on the essentials that will please the true puckheads. A big part of that focus has gone into the game's presentation--there's a new menu system that looks like an improvement from previous years (not that that would be hard--2K Sports in-game menus have been ugly for years). In addition, the game's character models have been tweaked, including more attention on accurate player faces this year."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 CarryTheWeight @ 06/18/09 02:18 PM
The developers are talking about continuing a trend of making the gameplay "fun" and "accessible" yet claim that there's enough depth there that true hockey fans can appreciate the game regardless. It looks to me that the game is trying to be the second coming of NHL Hitz Pro...which is great news for me, since I still play the game religiously, but may put off some more experienced 2K players. I suggested in the "Developers Are Listening" thread that the gameplay experience could possibly be catered to both groups of "hardcore" and "casual" gamers using different sets of options and controls...maybe this is what they're trying to do.

Additionally, it seems many things have been improved this year, including "features that gamers have called 2K out on", as described in the article. Without any major screens or information coming from 2K, we'll see what they mean when the time comes, I guess...

# 2 slickdtc @ 06/18/09 03:50 PM
Glad that we finally got some information on the game besides some pictures of the mo-cap sessions. With that said, we really didn't get that much information. Especially for a year in which the NHL 2k series needs to really do it big or else it could be curtains.

I'm sure everyone will be (already is?) up in arms about them talking about casual fans and party multiplayer. For those of us who didn't just lock on to those words, I am very excited, still, to see the game in motion and get more thorough information.

Regardless, I still think that I'll be shelling out the money for both NHL games this year. I think they'll both bring some serious hockey action to the table, though it'll likely be completely different with the only similarity being that it is ice hockey licensed by the NHL.

# 3 Flyermania @ 06/18/09 05:12 PM
This series is really turning its back on what made it popular to begin with --- the sim aspect.

# 4 tabulaRasa @ 06/18/09 06:30 PM
It could be that this article is scewed towrds the Wii crowd to get them interested since they are solo on that platform with hockey. PR-write up.

And then that the game is more SIM on 360/ps3. Who knows, but if they do go arcade this year, they are pretty much Fkkd. Never let a PR department dictate the core of a game, they are clueless most of the times.

But , according to Shadow and WWTC the game is SIM at the core and is getting really good. Letīs see....

# 5 lockjaw333 @ 06/18/09 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
This series is really turning its back on what made it popular to begin with --- the sim aspect.

You have no basis for this comment. I assume you're basing it off the little PR tagline in the preview, but marketing is not always indicative of what a game will be like, especially with sports games, and especially with 2K Sports as their marketing teams have never seemed to get it.

You have no idea what the game will look like or play like. Its really early to be making comments like that. I can understand if you are basing it off of 2K9, but you also have to understand what 2K9 was. 2K9 was a product of a severely shortened development cycle. Kush was let go from the series after the development cycle had already started. Development moved back in-house to Visual Concepts, who then tried to salvage the code left behind by Kush. They eventually made the decision to scrap the code altogether and start over.

Realistically 2K9 was put out as-is, and was more an early development version of what 2K10 will be. Its not fair to base the series off of 2K9, especially considering 2K8 was the most sim, realistic hockey game ever created.

At least give them a chance to show the game before making up your mind about the direction of the series. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you will eventually see

# 6 onlybygrace @ 06/19/09 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
You had me up to 2k8 was the most sim game ever. Then I just rolled my eyes and chuckled.
If 2k8 isn't THE most sim...its top 3. In my book, its like...well...probably number one. There have been a lot of great games though.

# 7 Money99 @ 06/19/09 08:53 AM
I think people need to realize that 2K's marketing is geared towards getting the fence surfers and non-fans. It doesn't necessarily mean that the game is going to be arcady and over-the-top.

2K9 had it's flaws, but it had a lot of good things under the hood.

Like RealmK said, if the AI is improved so that the CPU isn't so one-dimensional, it could be a tremendous sim game.

# 8 Money99 @ 06/19/09 09:29 AM
From 2Khockey.net:

http://www.2khockey.net/forums/index...dpost&p=273986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengman19
It's going to be a sim game. All the media and hype is geared towards the casuals. Even EA's media is geared towards the casuals. The entire article is from the marketing department. It's not the developers speaking. Developers are making a sim game.
http://www.2khockey.net/forums/index...dpost&p=274008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish(2k10 Producer)
Listen to the Pengman. He knows of what he speaks. You'll be getting more of the info that you'll really want to hear very soon.

# 9 lockjaw333 @ 06/19/09 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
You had me up to 2k8 was the most sim game ever. Then I just rolled my eyes and chuckled.

In my opinion, it is the most simulation hockey game ever made. With the right slider settings in human vs. human play, its easily the most realistic hockey game created yet. The depth of control (whether you were able to get accustomed to them or not) sets it apart. Especially on the defensive end, its bounds above anything done previously or since. The stick work in 2K8 is what really defines the realism. Your stick positioning actually matters in that game, both defensively and offensively.

For you to roll your eyes at that comment means your probably never played 2K8 with good simulation sliders, or if you did you didn't play it against like-minded simulation style opponents.

# 10 Flyermania @ 06/19/09 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
You have no basis for this comment. I assume you're basing it off the little PR tagline in the preview, but marketing is not always indicative of what a game will be like, especially with sports games, and especially with 2K Sports as their marketing teams have never seemed to get it.

You have no idea what the game will look like or play like. Its really early to be making comments like that. I can understand if you are basing it off of 2K9, but you also have to understand what 2K9 was. 2K9 was a product of a severely shortened development cycle. Kush was let go from the series after the development cycle had already started. Development moved back in-house to Visual Concepts, who then tried to salvage the code left behind by Kush. They eventually made the decision to scrap the code altogether and start over.

Realistically 2K9 was put out as-is, and was more an early development version of what 2K10 will be. Its not fair to base the series off of 2K9, especially considering 2K8 was the most sim, realistic hockey game ever created.

At least give them a chance to show the game before making up your mind about the direction of the series. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you will eventually see
Actually, I'm basing my comment on how this series has gone downhill since 2k3/2k5. Cinemotion, players' breath, etc., not to mention the game crippling bugs that have stayed in the series for years without getting fixed. The "short development cycle" excuse has been used over and over and over again with this series. At some point the series needs to be recognized for its own shortcomings.

I will download the demo and see how it goes....I bought 2k9 and just didn't care for it. That's fine that you feel 2k8 is a great game...for me, it was another disappointment. I loved the 2k series from 2k3-2k5, but as of recent years it has turned into a demo/rent first scenario for me personally.

# 11 savoie2006 @ 06/19/09 12:37 PM
I'm with Flyer on this one. The 2KHockey series has really gone downhill since 2K5. That's not to say that each of the last four installments haven't had their stengths, but overall each has been lacking overall. Mostly due to poor AI, but the presentation has also lacked big time.
2K8 was my favorite next gen 2KHockey game, but again the poor defensive AI, lack of penalties, and clunky controls, took away from it big time.
2K9, took away too many key elements that made 2K8 great. Plus the graphics just didn't do it for me.
I really hope 2K10 is the best next gen game for this series yet. I'll definately rent it and If I like it enough, buy it along with NHL10.

# 12 statum71 @ 06/19/09 09:47 PM
Quote:
The game will include support for multiplayer franchise mode and 2K Share will be implemented across all versions of the game.

One of the things I wanted to hear. Hopefully both hockey games have it this year.

# 13 Eddie1967 @ 06/19/09 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333

Excellent post. The usual suspects do this every year. Bash and rehash the tired lines before the game comes out. I liked 2k8, but I would say 2k9 was the best hockey sim ever created. After how good 2k9 was I have the utmost faith in VC to take this game to another level. Thank god we have a choice.

# 14 Flyermania @ 06/19/09 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Excellent post. The usual suspects do this every year. Bash and rehash the tired lines before the game comes out. I liked 2k8, but I would say 2k9 was the best hockey sim ever created. After how good 2k9 was I have the utmost faith in VC to take this game to another level. Thank god we have a choice.
So we can only post an opinion on 2k if it's a good one? Otherwise it's "bashing"? I've purchased every 2k hockey game since 2k2, including 2k9. I'm also glad we have a choice --- there's no doubt EA wouldn't have made positive strides with their game without 2k's influence. I just want to see 2k get back to what made this series great at its peak (2k3-2k5).

Not everyone is going to share your opinion...but that doesn't make it "bashing".

# 15 joker75 @ 06/20/09 07:34 AM
Great ! Two hockey simulators this year sounds awsome ! thx 2k

# 16 Flyermania @ 06/20/09 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It is hard to take some guys serious when you are on EA's nuts so much. I think that is what it all comes down too. Any time any one says they think this game is better, here comes the EA's nutters. Even if this is not the truth it just looks like that. So I think that is why some people have a hard time. And you nutters know who you are.
The same could be said about certain people being on 2k's sack as well. What's the problem with pointing out constructive criticism on the 2k series as long as its done in a mature fashion? The EA forum is full of the same type of stuff...their game is far from perfect as well. What makes OS a great place is the fact that sports gamers can come together and discuss the pros and cons of these games without having the fanboy b.s. become a part of it.

I've owned and played both games for years, so I feel my opinions are just as valid as the next persons.

If somebody doesn't like reading criticism of their beloved 2k game, then maybe they need to read & post exclusively over at 2khockey.net --- that place will make any 2k fanboy ecstatic.

# 17 Flyermania @ 06/20/09 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Oh yeah I agree big time. I am just pointing it out and joking to at the same time. I think both games are going to produce this year.
I hope you're right...2k9 had a lot of things it did right, so hopefully they can build on that for 2k10 and beyond!

# 18 Eddie1967 @ 06/21/09 12:02 AM
[quote=baa7;2039731746]Funny how whenever Eddie shows up, these threads suddenly break down into people having to defend their comments and opinions. [/quote

Some people should have to defend their comments instead of mindlessly bashing and rehashing the same thing year after year. Not saying you, but some other people. If I did that in the NHL 09 forum it would be called trolling.

# 19 Eddie1967 @ 06/21/09 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
It would be trolling if you went to the EA-NHL forum intent on posting negative comments, sure.

Anyway, reading this thread a second time through, all I see here are people giving their honest opinions on the article. The fact is, 2K/VC announced the very same thing regarding MLB 2K9, pre-release. And that game took a serious hit as far as gameplay and features go. VC seems intent on simplifying their games in an effort appeal to the casual gamer. They in fact appear to be in the process of reinventing their various sports series, given they no doubt realize they're behind the eight ball, and have to do something extreme and much more mainstream in order to survive and compete.

And no, that change is not all positive. Lisa posted a terrific overview a few months back comparing NHL 2K8 and 2K9, and outlining all the missing and removed features and options in NHL 2K9. This issue is not about VC simply putting out a sim game that will appear to casual gamers. This is about VC removing sim features, in order to appeal to the pick up and play crowd. They did it with both NHL 2K9 and MLB 2K9.

See this is where I disagree. I thought MLB2K9 was much better than last years version. Sure it wasn't perfect and had the usual 2k flaws, but IMO it truly plays a good game of baseball. The presentation was far better than anything 2k had prior to this year, signature style is still unmatched, and the game play was much improved and the hiccups were fixed with the patch. I'm not sure what features people wanted, maybe some more sliders and that I agree with.

2k Hockey is still is head and shoulders above EA's IMO. The goalies are better, the A.I. although not perfect is still pretty good and doesn't cheat to beat you. I'm not sure how someone could say 2k9 was not an improvement over every other version of 2k hockey. EA has never been a true simulation of the sport of hockey. Having super goalies and tape to tape passing and having the AI turn it on whenever it wants to along with 3rd and fourth liners playing like superstars just means the game is difficult but not good or realistic in anyway.

I would like to know what "sim" features were removed from 2k9. Maybe I missed something.

# 20 Flyermania @ 06/21/09 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
2k Hockey is still is head and shoulders above EA's IMO. The goalies are better, the A.I. although not perfect is still pretty good and doesn't cheat to beat you. I'm not sure how someone could say 2k9 was not an improvement over every other version of 2k hockey. EA has never been a true simulation of the sport of hockey. Having super goalies and tape to tape passing and having the AI turn it on whenever it wants to along with 3rd and fourth liners playing like superstars just means the game is difficult but not good or realistic in anyway.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm hard pressed to call 2k9 anything close to sim either. The AI "D" leaves so much to be desired...it has a "hit first" philosophy and consistently goes for the hit and is out of position. This leaves the human player constantly trying to make up for his CPU-controlled teammates. Offensively the CPU likes to try to skate into the middle of the zone and shoot rather than pass or try and set up any offense. And the CPU still has issues in the shootout, something that has been in this series since 2k6 -- despite being "built from the ground up" with 2k9.

Much like EA, 2k has never been close to being a true simulation of the sport of hockey either.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.