Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their first look at NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The demo of the game was brief but developers gave us a good sense of what the approach is this year. Since moving development away from the now-defunct Kush and bringing NHL duties to 2K's internal Visual Concepts studio, the focus has been two-fold. Last year, it was simply getting a playable hockey game out the door on a shortened development cycle. While that game was met with lukewarm critical reception, the focus for NHL 2K10's full year development has been to continue to lower the barrier of entry for more casual hockey fans.

With NHL 2K10, opening up the game to more players includes making the game more appealing for multiplayer. As producers put it, they're looking to put the "party" back in multiplayer hockey videogames, adding a sense of fun to the game while focusing on the essentials that will please the true puckheads. A big part of that focus has gone into the game's presentation--there's a new menu system that looks like an improvement from previous years (not that that would be hard--2K Sports in-game menus have been ugly for years). In addition, the game's character models have been tweaked, including more attention on accurate player faces this year."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 JAYMO76 @ 07/01/09 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
If you surveyed OS gamers, the vast majority of would no doubt say EA has been putting out better games than 2K for a good 2-3 years now. The "smaller studio" excuse does not justify 2K continually and KNOWINGLY releasing buggy, half-finished games these past few years. If they're handicapped by a lack of resources, then they need to adjust their development objectives and marketing plans. But there's simply no excuse for releases titles they know are broken -- that's inexcusable.
True but that's the state of modern games. I love Madden and NCAA Football but all next gen titles have serious issues. IN THE AGE OF THE PATCH MEDIOCRITY IS ACCEPTABLE! EA has dropped the ball just as much as 2K.

# 42 Eddie1967 @ 07/01/09 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
How do you figure it is a two year project? They worked on and released 2k9, and 2k10 will only be 2k9 with whatever changes they have made. It's only one development cycle (as usual).

Below is from an article I believe IGN, not sure what else I can tell you.

"but this is really a continuation off of that. If 2K9 was fun, but not quite there, it's because it was only half of the dev cycle in 2K's mind. As such, 2K10 is meant to be the fruits of two years of labor; not just a one-year quick fix update".

# 43 savoie2006 @ 07/02/09 04:52 AM
Yeah, I think of 2K9 sort of as 2K's version of NHL 07, which was also a half realized idea; later much closer to being fully realized with NHL 08. We can only hope that 2K10 is as much of an improvement.

# 44 texbuk84 @ 07/02/09 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Hey I agree, dollar for dollar I prefer 2k sports games. BUT... don't be too quick to bash KUSH. With the exception of the dynasty glitches, NHL 2K8 was the best hockey dynasty I have ever played. The depth was amazing. Will VC do the same things with franchise? I don't know. All we hear about is pick-up-and-play... and that's not what I'm looking for. As a gamer I want to get lost in a deep option heavy franchise/dynasty mode. EA won't give this too me... we all know that!
You are absolutely right I will NEVER dismiss what Kush has done as a company. they made to me also the best hockey game(dynasty wise) with 2k8 an mlb 2k7 is still one of the best baseball games I've ever played. On the contrary, VC is the king of Sports Gaming i.e. NFL 2k5, Top Spin etc.... this is what I mean about giving them some time and appreciate what they are doing with the series. Most people just complain and complain and I think that if I was a developer, this would be annoying and it could make you loose interest because no matter what you do SOMEONE IS ALWAYS COMPLAINING!!!! LOL

# 45 Flyermania @ 07/02/09 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Below is from an article I believe IGN, not sure what else I can tell you.

"but this is really a continuation off of that. If 2K9 was fun, but not quite there, it's because it was only half of the dev cycle in 2K's mind. As such, 2K10 is meant to be the fruits of two years of labor; not just a one-year quick fix update".
That's just a play on words....they had a full development cycle last time, but didn't have enough time to fit everything in --- just like every other sports title. They had the option of taking a year off (like EA did with NHL 07 when they went next-gen), but decided not to do that.

Regardless, it will interesting to see what happens with 2k10. I expect a lot more polish and a lot more improvements.

# 46 JimmyDeicide @ 07/02/09 02:43 PM
It is a play on words but by the time the decision to take over from Kush was made i believe it was a shortened development Cycle for 2k9.

# 47 Eddie1967 @ 07/02/09 05:31 PM
Quote:
That's just a play on words....they had a full development cycle last time, but didn't have enough time to fit everything in --- just like every other sports title. They had the option of taking a year off (like EA did with NHL 07 when they went next-gen), but decided not to do that.

Regardless, it will interesting to see what happens with 2k10. I expect a lot more polish and a lot more improvements.
That's cool, I am excited about them at least realizing that it was an unfinished product. The dynasty mode was boring, and they need to add the options the other games had. I would buy it anyway, but I'm hoping it has more depth to it this year.

# 48 Flyermania @ 07/02/09 06:57 PM
The dynasty mode in the 2k series always blows EA's away each and every year, and I expect this year to be no different.

# 49 ohyeahbaby123 @ 07/02/09 07:05 PM
Quote:
The dynasty mode in the 2k series always blows EA's away each and every year, and I expect this year to be no different.
So I guess you weren't too impressed with the new GM mode in NHL this year?

Anyways, 2k usually puts together a good franchise mode in all their games. Take NBA 2k9 for example.

# 50 original6 @ 07/03/09 01:13 PM
Of course, the depth of a franchise doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the gameplay does not keep you interested and challenged enough to complete even one season.

Fix the gameplay and franchise bugs first. Then worry about expanding the depth of the franchise.

# 51 savoie2006 @ 07/03/09 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Of course, the depth of a franchise doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the gameplay does not keep you interested and challenged enough to complete even one season.

Fix the gameplay and franchise bugs first. Then worry about expanding the depth of the franchise.
Exactly, which is why I don't understand people wanting all these features, on both games. If the gameplay isn't appealing, what does it matter if you have all these killer, deep features?

# 52 onlybygrace @ 07/04/09 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
With the exception of 2k9 I agree, 2k's dynasty was always deeper, the problem was it has generally also been quite buggy, 2k8's trade finder caused franchise freezes, other issues have caused franchise freezes over the years etc.

If they can get all the options back in from the prior versions, and debug them to the point where you don't have to be afraid each choice you make isn't going to fubar your franchise I'd be content.

I have to play 2k8 with injuries off...for obvious reasons.

It's always baffled me as to why this glitch has never been fixed. I mean...its one of those gamebreaking issues. Nobody wants to play 70 games into a season and lose it because of some roster error.

USUALLY, correct me if I'm wrong, but programing errors of this magnitude are fixed in the very next edition to a series...its been, what? 5 years?

Still...I'll probably buy it...and that says it all.

2k, you need to get this problem OUT of your series...and give us some damn info on your new game, for the love of god. NOW.

Feature list written in Word would suffice at this point.

# 53 mercalnd @ 07/05/09 01:37 PM
Quote:
2K9 didn't. Not that EA improved its dynasty mode in 09 but 2K9's franchise had absolutely NONE of the depth of previous versions, making it pretty much even with EA's dynasty mode except EA had full AHL squads and 2K had a bug where 80+ rated FAs just rotted in free agency forever.

# 54 Flyermania @ 07/05/09 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
2K9 didn't. Not that EA improved its dynasty mode in 09 but 2K9's franchise had absolutely NONE of the depth of previous versions, making it pretty much even with EA's dynasty mode except EA had full AHL squads and 2K had a bug where 80+ rated FAs just rotted in free agency forever.
Good point.

# 55 savoie2006 @ 07/05/09 06:40 PM
Besides I seem to recall 2K's Dynasty being rather bland itself up until it the second or third year it had the ESPN liscense. Which ever year it was they first implemented the whole draft scouting. Up unitl then their franchise was pretty bare bones. EA's was too until 2004 and was solid from then until 2007, when it went bare bones again.

# 56 JAYMO76 @ 07/06/09 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Well if 2k10 doesn't have the franchise mode depth like 2k8 then I will not be buying it. I only play for franchise and if I don't have that I have no reason to play.

# 57 savoie2006 @ 07/06/09 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Well if 2k10 doesn't have the franchise mode depth like 2k8 then I will not be buying it. I only play for franchise and if I don't have that I have no reason to play.
If it has Online Franchise, but not a very deep Offline Franchise, would you?

# 58 JAYMO76 @ 07/07/09 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
If it has Online Franchise, but not a very deep Offline Franchise, would you?
Probably not... as my time is spread pretty thin (career, husband, father) and I can only squeeze games in late in the evening or early, early in the morning. I know a lot of focus is being put into online across all platforms but the reality is that MOST gamers still play offline over online in terms of playing a longterm dynasty/franchise.

So what about you? Is 2k10 a for sure purchase?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.