Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ohyeahbaby123 @ 06/29/09 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
Lol

the NHL10 twitter was bragging about this video for hours.. and it sucked. the animation is horrible.
How so?

Just wondering.

# 22 sfontaine @ 06/29/09 04:50 PM
It'd be nice to be able to watch it..

# 23 Ruffy @ 06/29/09 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher
He didnt push off his leg, he morphed into that terrible animation
He pushes off his right skate in an attempt to make a save. Its a bit choppy but thts what happened.

# 24 Russo @ 06/29/09 06:05 PM
Wow Dumb A.I .Not only are the skating animations bad since 07', I can see they haven't adjusted them. Example, don't focus on the puck or Luongo making the save, just notice how the players in front of the net miraculously ...FLOAT on the ice. Now, try and point out Sergei Gonchar # 55 that is playing on the blue line in the video, just turns his back to the play and looks LOST. Now, that bugs me, because you guys probably have all experience this : In NHL 09, if you would pass to the point in he attacking zone, some of them would be completely ignored by the defenseman , or would not even be in position.

# 25 Whitesox @ 06/29/09 06:29 PM
You guys still can't watch it? I can... It looked like he morphed into the animation, but from that angle, it is hard to tell. We will just have to wait and see, looks like EA succeeded in teasing me into following the game.

# 26 ChaseB @ 06/29/09 06:53 PM
I must say, I'm always astounded by how much people can complain/praise a 5-second clip -- or can somehow use a 5-second clip to justify/hate an entire portion of a game.

# 27 onlybygrace @ 06/29/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Whats funny to me, is that clip looked no worse than what 2k9's goalies do, yet in every place I've looked over the day, here, 2khockey.net etc I've seen so much bashing over what to me is a huge huge improvement over 09. So I'm guessing now people would rather we still have pucks rolling down goalies backs and magnetically sticking to them. Its obvious that some people just can't be pleased with anything.
Yeah, I know. I saw a thread today over at 2khockey.net where they were mad that luongo didn't first turn to look behind him before he dove to swat the puck with his stick.

I made the point that we've been playing great hockey games for years where players would recieve passes without looking at where the puck was coming from and it was totally ignored. Oh well...some people just love to nit pick.

Also, does a goalie really have to look when the puck just hit BOTH posts? I think any NHL goalie would hear both posts and immediately turn to defend what is probably sitting right at the goal line.

# 28 ohyeahbaby123 @ 06/29/09 11:08 PM
Quote:
You would need to turn your head back to make that save though.
Goalies can hear the puck ring off the post...

# 29 Ruffy @ 06/29/09 11:19 PM
Quote:
You would need to turn your head back to make that save though.
Not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fba3DQ1iUEc

#5 of the top 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0LHo0mWAAM

#3 of the top 10

# 30 Ruffy @ 06/30/09 12:13 AM
Quote:
So then we should be seeing saves like that every 7 years then. How'd i know you would whip out some RDS and TSN top 10 highlights
If i still worked there I'd be looking for plays on the database they have and making a tape to upload...trust me there are tons from all forms of hockey.

Goalies instinctively reach back when they hear the post. Alot of times they have no idea where the puck is. Just like tons of those tricklers through the pads where they look around cause thay have no idea they have the puck or not.

It's 6 seconds showing off 1 of their new animations. I wouldn't read too much into it.

# 31 tyler289 @ 06/30/09 12:13 AM
I still despise the splits animation we saw, only because there is no transition to it. It's just a warp. If they would add a transition for it, it'd be amazing, but goalies just warp into 100% splits all over the place.

# 32 Ruffy @ 06/30/09 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I still despise the splits animation we saw, only because there is no transition to it. It's just a warp. If they would add a transition for it, it'd be amazing, but goalies just warp into 100% splits all over the place.

If you couyld slow down the video although the last part is a bit choppy. The final position he ends up is pretty logical.

After the desperation save he uses his hands in an attempt to get up.....but he doesn't fully his right pad is still down and he pushes off of it and extends his left pad in desperation as he's already out of position from the previous save.

I just don't understand what the warping issue is...sure it may need another animation in between to make that look more fluid but I'm likeing the AI logic there. Plus that might be the reason the video is cut short at 6 seconds.

I don't think we should really be looking into it much more than that.

# 33 Redshirt_EA @ 06/30/09 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Agreed and altho it could use another animation or two to make it look more fluid, I still don't think its as bad as people want to make it out to be. Then again we're still 3 months out, who knows maybe they'll be able to polish it a bit more before the retail build.
That video is about a month old, so some stuff has changed. Three months from the retail date doesn't mean there are three months left to work on it. Approvals and manufacturing need to fit in there too, so at the moment we are putting the final touches on the game.

# 34 Money99 @ 06/30/09 08:27 AM
I didn't think there was anything wrong with that animation. It looked great.

And didn't anyone else notice that the puck physics seemed to be improved? In 09, that puck would have flown off to the right corner after hitting the right-post.
But in this video you can see the puck is on edge so when it hit the outer-post, it ricocheted awkwardly back to the other side. Great stuff!

About Luongo, I really don't care that the didn't turn his head to look for the puck. It's a video game. If sacrificing players swiveling their heads was needed in order to beef up the AI, tune puck physics, add grinding elements, upgrade GM mode and BAP while adding a playoff mode, then by all means I don't give a crap if a goalie doesn't rotate his head and move his eyeballs in trying to locate the puck.

# 35 tyler289 @ 06/30/09 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Warp? You mean that push off the skate at the end? Seriously, what are people complaining about here? Go look at the bizarre, nightmarish animations in MLB 2K9. Or the next-to-transitionless animations in the Madden 10 vids -- they make the game look like it's running at 10 fps, lol. You'll come back here with a renewed appreciation for the animations in this game.
Relax, I love the game and think it's looking great, I only watched it twice so maybe he did push off, but the animation still looks weird. Just my opinion.

# 36 LuGer33 @ 06/30/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
That video is about a month old, so some stuff has changed. Three months from the retail date doesn't mean there are three months left to work on it. Approvals and manufacturing need to fit in there too, so at the moment we are putting the final touches on the game.
What's funny is a lot of people had trouble scoring on the goalies in 09 first too. I had a buddy message me on Live, "I hate 09. I can't score."

Obviously 8 months later, people are going to have found some money goals and tricks, but honestly, without the glitches, I never found the goalies in 09 to be tremendously bad like some people make them out to be. A little over zealous with the desperation saves from time to time, and they sure struggle when the puck skips through their crease, but that's about it. With all the new animations and work that has gone into the goalies this year, I'm confident exploit goals will be less of a problem in 10 than they were in 09.

# 37 Splitter77 @ 06/30/09 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
What's funny is a lot of people had trouble scoring on the goalies in 09 first too. I had a buddy message me on Live, "I hate 09. I can't score."

Obviously 8 months later, people are going to have found some money goals and tricks, but honestly, without the glitches, I never found the goalies in 09 to be tremendously bad like some people make them out to be. A little over zealous with the desperation saves from time to time, and they sure struggle when the puck skips through their crease, but that's about it. With all the new animations and work that has gone into the goalies this year, I'm confident exploit goals will be less of a problem in 10 than they were in 09.
the goalies after the first patch were too good. They reminded me of the super goalies of nhl 2k3. I want them to be good, but not good to make up for the bad defensive AI.

# 38 Ruffy @ 06/30/09 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
the goalies after the first patch were too good. They reminded me of the super goalies of nhl 2k3. I want them to be good, but not good to make up for the bad defensive AI.
Newss Flash! NHL Goalies are good.

I have a bunch of friends that played Jr and College hockey at high levels. They in turn have friends in the NHL and other big leagues in Europe.

They say that NHL goalies for the most part will stop any puck they can see.....barring a perfect shot, or a misplay on there end. Goals come when forcing the goalie to move quickley side to side. Traffic in front. Or just being beat in close on a quick release.

People forget even crud goalies in the NHL have save percentages just under .900 that means they stop 9 out of 10 shots....and they are the worst ones....

Source...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ercentage&pg=2

Sometimes I really wonder what people think about sports in this forum and the baseball one.

# 39 Splitter77 @ 06/30/09 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
Newss Flash! NHL Goalies are good.

I have a bunch of friends that played Jr and College hockey at high levels. They in turn have friends in the NHL and other big leagues in Europe.

They say that NHL goalies for the most part will stop any puck they can see.....barring a perfect shot, or a misplay on there end. Goals come when forcing the goalie to move quickley side to side. Traffic in front. Or just being beat in close on a quick release.

People forget even crud goalies in the NHL have save percentages just under .900 that means they stop 9 out of 10 shots....and they are the worst ones....

Source...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ercentage&pg=2

Sometimes I really wonder what people think about sports in this forum and the baseball one.
I know theyre good. Its just not fun when you have 30 quality chances to the CPU's 4, and youre losing 4-0.

# 40 Money99 @ 06/30/09 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I know theyre good. Its just not fun when you have 30 quality chances to the CPU's 4, and youre losing 4-0.
Good point. The CPU's goalies are good, while the user's is not.

But it sounds like that's been fixed in '10. Can't wait.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.