Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Gameshark has posted a Q&A with the Ian, Josh and Donny, as they talk about Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
Gameshark: "I know that the team is very upfront about wanting player ratings to really matter this year. The fact that you guys chain Donny Moore to a chair and make him rate every player -- is pretty amazing when you think about it. But in terms of gameplay, how will we see a difference in say -- quarterbacks? It's been one of my pet peeves with football games for years: it's terribly hard to tell a difference between the QBs outside of arm strength and running speed. Will a quarterback with lower accuracy actually be off target with more throws?"

Donny: "First off, it is a really comfortable chair. Now to your question.

I think we have captured the strengths and weaknesses of each one of the quarterbacks in the league like never before for Madden NFL 10. No longer is every QB rated 80+ in throw accuracy. We now see guys covering a wider spread, rated anywhere from 50 to 99. This meant totally re-tuning the passing game, but it was something that we felt had to be done.

You can see immediate differences just by taking the Dolphins into practice mode and checking them out. First, we have Chad Pennington. He is rated amongst the best QBs in the game in short and intermediate accuracy. However, he has a sub 75 rated arm (Throw Power), so you do not want to take too many chances deep with Pennington. Throwing the deep out across the field with Chad Pennington = not a bright idea in Madden NFL 10.

Now, sub in the electric backup Pat White. Notice that he is almost like a running back or receiver in terms of quickness and agility. He has a stronger arm than Pennington (low to mid 80’s). So he is capable of making more throws. But you will quickly notice that his accuracy is nowhere near Pennington’s level. White is rated in the low 70’s to low 60’s for accuracy. Finally, sub in 3rd string Chad Henne. He has a laser arm (90+ THP). His accuracy is somewhere in between White and Pennington. Factor all these changes in, and I promise you will feel a significant difference this year. Not just with the Dolphins, but with each and every quarterback in the league."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Millennium @ 06/29/09 04:56 PM
Guys -

A quote here and there is fine. Do not copy and paste the interview here. Bill is a good guy, and deserves to have people go to his website to read the interview.

Thanks.

# 22 Big_Mig_11 @ 06/29/09 05:05 PM
Great interview. Im still anxious to get into Franchise Mode and see the draft logic AI for myself. Sounds to good to be true. Hopefully importing classes doesnt break the logic in anyway

# 23 Naednek @ 06/29/09 05:06 PM
Quote:
Will the Xbox 360 version have in game saves?
Ian: Unfortunately this feature did not make it into Madden NFL 10. We obviously had a huge amount of improvements and changes to make (many directly from the community), so it was difficult to make the call on this one knowing that so many folks in our community really want the feature. We started development on it but it turned into a much bigger technical challenge than we expected, so we had to cut the line and let it loose. This feature will continue to be on our radar moving forward.
So is it safe to say the ps3 version will have it? I received the PS3 last christmas, and always bought madden for the xbox 360, but with having a child on it's way, having the ability to save mid game seems to be a bigger deal for me

# 24 Broncos86 @ 06/29/09 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naednek
So is it safe to say the ps3 version will have it? I received the PS3 last christmas, and always bought madden for the xbox 360, but with having a child on it's way, having the ability to save mid game seems to be a bigger deal for me
Did the PS3 version have in-game saves last year?

# 25 Obelysk @ 06/29/09 05:19 PM
Well thanks for posting that here at least I was able to read it. Don't worry I will still visit his site when I get home.

# 26 The_Balm @ 06/29/09 05:27 PM
Very good read

# 27 Bill_Abner @ 06/29/09 05:56 PM
Added the two other fan pre-game screenshots that I forgot to include and also this bit from Ian re: presentation

"One of the key details we had to implement in all of these fan scenes was some extra logic for the fans to pick jerseys of the current star players to wear. This really helps keep you immersed in your Franchise, regardless of what year it is, to see your fans out there wearing the jersey of your new star player that you drafted in 2012."

A pretty cool touch.

# 28 Finsfan46 @ 06/29/09 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner

"One of the key details we had to implement in all of these fan scenes was some extra logic for the fans to pick jerseys of the current star players to wear. This really helps keep you immersed in your Franchise, regardless of what year it is, to see your fans out there wearing the jersey of your new star player that you drafted in 2012." A pretty cool touch.
Wow, I agree that is cool !

# 29 jfsolo @ 06/29/09 06:19 PM
Very Nice. The specific list of what awareness now covers was new to me. I didn't remember Josh detailing the CPU's drafting progression before, so that was solid. The late game CPU A.I., the Quarterback sneak logic, dynamic jersey wearing fans, excellent.

Most of the info may not have been new for us here, but having it reiterated all together galvanized the info in my mind. That was good stuff.

# 30 bases1616 @ 06/29/09 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Did the PS3 version have in-game saves last year?
Can someone answer the in-game save question that had the PS3 version last year? I had the 360 as well and I am looking at picking up the PS3 version this year.

# 31 Ian_Cummings @ 06/29/09 06:34 PM
I just uploaded images of those fan scenes for those that might be into the presentation stuff:

http://www.twitpic.com/8spxk
http://www.twitpic.com/8spmd
http://www.twitpic.com/8spou

# 32 Finsfan46 @ 06/29/09 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I just uploaded images of those fan scenes for those that might be into the presentation stuff:
Thats some good stuff right there !

# 33 NoSubs @ 06/29/09 07:04 PM
Very interesting. What does this line mean:

"We do not have CPU logic analyzing trades this year"

It was said in regards to a question about online franchise, but the "this year" part made me think it applies to offline franchise when I first read it. Sorry to over analyze, but does that mean online franchise "this year" as opposed to online "next year", not franchise in general as opposed to franchise "last year".

# 34 mrprice33 @ 06/29/09 07:08 PM
that's online only, i believe.

# 35 TracerBullet @ 06/29/09 07:19 PM
The jest chant was wrong if I'm not mistaken. It may not be new but I do remember a thread where tons of jets fans said it didn't sound right. Maybe that's what he was trying to portray with that statement about the chants. could be wrong though.

# 36 Netherscourge @ 06/29/09 07:20 PM
Sounds like there's no VOIP for the PS3 version:

"We have NFL Drafts every year. Live Online NFL Drafts. Console and PC both connected- so you can participate from either! Chat rooms. VOIP for Xbox Live. 7 rounds"

Glad I got a Xbox 360

# 37 Netherscourge @ 06/29/09 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

http://www.twitpic.com/8spxk
http://www.twitpic.com/8spmd
http://www.twitpic.com/8spou

I really like these types of cutscenes. Makes it feel more like a specific team's stadium and less generic.

# 38 PacMan3000 @ 06/29/09 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
Added the two other fan pre-game screenshots that I forgot to include and also this bit from Ian re: presentation

"One of the key details we had to implement in all of these fan scenes was some extra logic for the fans to pick jerseys of the current star players to wear. This really helps keep you immersed in your Franchise, regardless of what year it is, to see your fans out there wearing the jersey of your new star player that you drafted in 2012."

A pretty cool touch.
This is a pretty cool idea, but will we see the BACK of the jersey that the fan is wearing? I say this because....let's say it's 2013, and your star WR for the Steelers that you drafted in 2011 is now wearing #86 (I know, but just got with me here).

Now, if I see a fan in the stands wearing #86, should I conclude that he is wearing Hines Ward's jersey, or is this really my new star WR's jersey he's wearing?

I think this idea was in 2K5, but I could never tell if the fans were wearing an old player's number or a current player's number. So when I cut Kellen Winslow in my franchise years ago, and got a new, great WR who wore #80, I would see fans wearing the #80 jersey. But I could never tell who it was that they were pimping because there was never a name on the back of the jersey--it was seemingly generic.

# 39 mrprice33 @ 06/29/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
This is a pretty cool idea, but will we see the BACK of the jersey that the fan is wearing? I say this because....let's say it's 2013, and your star WR for the Steelers that you drafted in 2011 is now wearing #86 (I know, but just got with me here).

Now, if I see a fan in the stands wearing #86, should I conclude that he is wearing Hines Ward's jersey, or is this really my new star WR's jersey he's wearing?

I think this idea was in 2K5, but I could never tell if the fans were wearing an old player's number or a current player's number. So when I cut Kellen Winslow in my franchise years ago, and got a new, great WR who wore #80, I would see fans wearing the #80 jersey. But I could never tell who it was that they were pimping because there was never a name on the back of the jersey--it was seemingly generic.
unless you saw a fan wearing a jersey of a guy who is not on the team, i don't see how it really matters.

# 40 Ian_Cummings @ 06/29/09 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000

Most definitely. Lots of these scenes show fans from the back and they use the name as well - not just the number.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.