Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted a new teaser trailer from NHL 2K10.

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 savoie2006 @ 07/30/09 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
The models are improved obviously, the skating looks a bit better yay? I mean it only took them 5 next gen versions to make the players look next gen. Do they deserve a medal for that? For what some are claiming is a 2 year cycle I'm sorry, its not that impressive looking, at least with this teaser trailer.

In their defense though its a very small look at the game which is why it baffles me they went this route to show the game off in action for the first time. In marketing the game you want to build confidence, you want to get people excited. Showing Dmen sleeping at the blueline and arcadey looking play (seriously who pushes a puck forward with one hand on the stick? thats just an invitation to get striped of the puck) isn't going to do that. May have been better off just showing someone playing the actual game.
Well a trailer is usually the starting point for marketing a game. Granted it's rather late for many of us to be finally getting info and such for the game, but what can we do? Nothing, other than take it as it comes for what it's worth. I would much rather 2K build their consumer confidence in the fashion that EA does, especially since right now, there isn't much confidence in this series. It would make life much more pleasant on the forums.

As I said already though, last year was VC's first time around with the series and this year is looking like an improvement based on what I have seen and read. I gave NHL2K9 a pass. We can only wait and see what 2K10 brings.

# 22 savoie2006 @ 07/30/09 08:06 PM
Steveee, 2K does have something similar to the EASHL this year. I think one of the biggest things that has plagued this series sadly is the fact that they haven't had a constant or consistant development team. Hopefully now that VC is doing it, things will stablize. I agree that NHL09 was better in ways, graphics, controls, and player positioning. I think 2K9 did some things better as well though and I think that will always be the case. For the record, both lacked good boardplay for some reason.

# 23 lockjaw333 @ 07/30/09 08:30 PM
Quote:
Yeah except the Dmen pretty much just stood there and did nothing. Hooray for 2k9 with stumble shots! Because thats pretty much what this trailer portrays. Hell even the goalies still do that awful studder animation to recenter themselves in the middle of the net after a goal.

I think you just need to come to terms with the fact that you are extremely biased towards EA's hockey. I understand you were a 2K fan, and you played it up until 07, all that jazz. But your posts are continually negative towards 2K hockey, so I'm not surprised at all that you didn't like the trailer.

If EA had released a similar trailer that was just basically a promotional teaser and people were picking it apart and criticizing and making assumptions about the game based off of it, you would be one of the first people to shut them down and say "its just a trailer".

Its simply a cool little trailer letting everyone see the graphics and a cool little montage of a recreation of that zaney Ovechkin goal. If you want to look at it with a predetermined negativity that's fine.

I quoted only one of your posts, but every post you've made has been negative. You were freaking out for info and video, and once you get it you just look at it in a negative light and trash it. I understand you are pissed because 2K9 was a piece of junk, none of us are happy about that. But you don't have to go and ruin people's excitement for the game. If Scott is excited, let him be excited.

Don't mean to single you out, its just a little frustrating.

# 24 Eddie1967 @ 07/30/09 08:33 PM
WOW, the skating engine looks to be redefined. Awesome, love how the arenas looked something 2k always does really well. This game is going to have so much life. It was brilliant of VC to go with the theme of fun. Nothing like a sim/fun game of hockey with all of the bells and whistles. And it looks like the best animations of any sports video game are even better this year. Very nice indeed.

# 25 lockjaw333 @ 07/30/09 09:00 PM
Quote:
Not really, EA's just been that much more impressive the past couple years and I'm not gonna get all hot over a stitched together minute trailer showing off a goal that should rarely be seen in game if at all is all. My posts are negative for a reason and trust me I find plenty wrong with elements of EA's game as well, not all of us wear blinders.

So you admit you are biased towards EA hockey. Which is fine, everyone has a right to like whatever they want, but you don't have to dump on people's excitement for 2K10.

For many longtime hockey videogame fans, 2K has had the superior game from 2K-2K8 (obviously excluding 2001). 2K8 is where most people differ, but I think I've already posted on here about how I believe 2K8 was the best simulation hockey game ever made.

In my mind, and I think a lot of people would maybe agree with me, 2009 was the first year EA has clearly had the superior game. All of the sudden its like the sky is falling and 2K hockey is irrelevant. I don't really understand how that happened.

For the record, not to announce it but to prevent the argument, I owned NHL 07, 08 and now have 09, and I played NHL 09 way, way more than 2K9. This is just the way I see things.

# 26 original6 @ 07/30/09 10:41 PM
Trailer = meh

Why release your first trailer using the PS2 platform?

# 27 onlybygrace @ 07/30/09 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Trailer = meh

Why release your first trailer using the PS2 platform?
Where? What? That was PS2???

# 28 tyler289 @ 07/30/09 11:55 PM
Graphics look terrible for next-gen, but whatever. I just really hope that the goal is NOT something we can easily re-create whenever we want. That was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of play, and not one that we'll see in a game again (most likely).

# 29 savoie2006 @ 07/31/09 04:38 AM
No, for once they actually look next gen. Yeah the player faces will be hit or miss, but that's tolerable since I don't have to look at their ugly mugs while skating down ice.

# 30 savoie2006 @ 07/31/09 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
I'm not impressed with that trailer. Doesn't 2K realize they are competing with EA's hockey game?
They are?

# 31 Vince @ 07/31/09 08:52 AM
Exactly...This goal was 3 years ago...Why didn't they add it then...

# 32 kerosene31 @ 07/31/09 09:01 AM
Quote:
Most importantly, NHL 2K10's more superficial upgrades will be accompanied by AI improvements; Bishop specifically mentioned things like better positioning, players looking for open space to make passes, and better puck movement all around. As Bishop puts it, NHL 2K10 represents a return what made older version of the NHL 2K series so successful. "We really wanted to go back to our simulation roots. Last year, we had more of an easy pick-up and-play control scheme and we really wanted to make the game fun and accessible to any type of user. We certainly don't want to move away from that goal this year but… we've spent a lot of time making sure it plays a better game of hockey."
This is all that is important to me.

An realistic offline hockey sim with great AI is what we need.

# 33 tabulaRasa @ 07/31/09 10:19 AM
I see that most "hardcore" hockey fans donīt seem to be able to appreciate players that have realistic proportions? EA models are too bulky (except goalies), and 2k10 looks really nice in that area (except goalies which look ok only).

THe only thing this trailer proved was that the blind haters are all around these boards. I canīt say what the gameplay will be like, but player models looked awesome (except the goalies who only looked oK) and have much more realistic proportions than NHL09/10.

# 34 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
This is all that is important to me.

An realistic offline hockey sim with great AI is what we need.
"simulation roots", nice. So glad VC took over this series.

# 35 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 12:29 PM
Found this quote for all of those fretting about being able to score goals like this often.

No, this doesn't mean that you'll be scoring eighty goals a season while sliding towards the boards on your rear end. And, no, it doesn't mean that your third-line defenseman is going to be putting slapshots in the twine while standing on his head. In fact, as Bishop put it, the stumble shot animations have been designed to be infrequent and available only to players with a high enough skill level. As he put it, "It's not like [stumble shots are] happening five or ten times per game. It's a little bit more of a rare type of thing. It's not something you're going to see all of the time, and it definitely depends on the skill of the player taking the shot, but it's something that adds a fun extra twist to gameplay."

# 36 ThatCanadianGuy @ 07/31/09 12:31 PM
2K9 had some of the worst player and goalie models I've ever seen. They were so oddly proportioned it looked absolutely ridiculous. Same went for the jerseys, goalies, lettering, equipment/helment size, etc.

Thankfully this year they seem to have made some nice improvements in that area but there are still a few things that look a little odd. The sticks for one are way too big and so out of proportion I don't understand how this is still a problem. This has been an issue since the Dreamcast days for crying out loud. More so how the goalie sticks look and the way they hold them too high up the shaft. I'm not sure if they just don't notice how weird it looks, they don't care, or they don't know how to fix it. Either way it's about time this was addressed. Same thing for the jumbo sized goalies helmets and gear.

Anything is a step up from how awful things looked last year, but overall atleast the player models this year look nicely improved. Gameplay wise we'll have to see, but I'd expect a much better product than 2K9. That Ovy goal better not be in the game though. It's a once in a blue moon type play.

One thing that really irks me about all the 2K Sports titles on PS3 is just how jaggy they look while running on an SDTV. This must have something to do with the way they make the game scale to SD because it looks horrible. Not sure if this is an issue while running on an HDTV, but I sure hope the 2K10 line of games have this fixed. It's not an issue for their products on the 360 so I hope the PS3 line gets this in check.

Hopefully 2K10 turns out great so we can have two top notch hockey games. I was really let down with 2K9 after being a fan of this franchise since NHL 2K. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
I see that most "hardcore" hockey fans donīt seem to be able to appreciate players that have realistic proportions? EA models are too bulky (except goalies), and 2k10 looks really nice in that area (except goalies which look ok only).

THe only thing this trailer proved was that the blind haters are all around these boards. I canīt say what the gameplay will be like, but player models looked awesome (except the goalies who only looked oK) and have much more realistic proportions than NHL09/10.
The player models look much better this year, aside from the treetrunk sticks they're holding. Goalies are another story. The pads and masks look way too big on them, and the sticks are huge slabs. Players look great, goalies look odd.

# 37 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 12:31 PM
Found this too. Very nice. This game is going to be great. I always felt 2k was organic, and that's what makes it the better game of hockey IMHO.

Players can expect more contact in NHL 2K10--in addition to the stumble shots, Bishop said the development team has worked on improving incidental contact between players--so if you've got two players chasing down a puck in the corner, they'll be bumping and jostling trying to gain position on one another. Bishop said the team has also focused on making backwards skating more precise and smooth, as well as giving players better stick-handling options. All in all, there's several hundred new animations in the game, according to Bishop, and all of them are aimed at making 2K10 a more complete hockey experience.
"It adds a little bit more of an organic feel to the game; I know our NBA game is very good at that, making little things happen sometimes in the background, not necessarily right on the [ball]. Just having guys interact more and you know feel like they are more part of the environment."
Graphical improvements, like new player models with better hair and facial features will complement the smaller details such as authentic equipment--look closely at the trailer and you'll see the gold laces on Ovechkin's skates.

# 38 Keirik @ 07/31/09 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa

ah, the ol' "if you dont agree with me you're a blind *****" mentality...

give it a rest.

# 39 Eddie1967 @ 07/31/09 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
If you put down a game does that not make you a *****? I see a lot of put downs for this game, but that is cool. The only thing that matters to me is IF I LIKE IT! I feel sorry for you guys that don't like either game. Maybe someday you guys will like it, but for now I am cool that I like it! Because that is all that really matters is does scottdau likes it! For me at least; I am not talking about you guys. I don't give a rip if you guys don't like it.

Same here Scott. If others don't like it, oh well. I am ecstatic about what VC has done to improve this game.

# 40 savoie2006 @ 07/31/09 02:03 PM
It doesn't matter folks. If you like EA and their graphics better or if you like 2K and their graphics. Most of us will probably play both at some point anyways. As always they will both have their strengths and weaknesses. Lets leave it at that. The trailer is was nothing impressive, but most trailers don't leave me feeling that impressed. Hopefully an actual gameplay video comes out soon, that way people have something with substance to rip to shreds.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.