Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Gamespot has posted their NHL 2K10 video preview.

Quote:
"Very impressed. AI looks outstanding.

My favorite part is the actual foot planting and skates digging in on changes of direction. No ballerina warp skating.

And those arenas are ridiculous!"

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 original6 @ 08/08/09 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
All I can say is WOW. This is one of the things that drives me crazy on 2K9 for the 360 and it happens constantly.
Maybe it was your gameplay settings?

# 42 kai123 @ 08/09/09 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
13:39 of the same matchup, a Shark tries to check O'Donnell at the point instead of playing positionally and blocking a potential shot or pass. Needless to say, he misses the hit miserably and is now horribly out of position. Personally, I've never noticed the two player chasing the puck that much in 2k9, unlike in 2k8.
It was actually there new Incidental Animation that caused hiim to check the guy at the point and miss.

# 43 buzzguy @ 08/09/09 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaStar911
you must be joking right? PES is 100 times better than fifa gameplay wise, have you seen pes 2010, graphic wise, fifa is not even close, gameplay wise, pes is better this year so your argument doesn't stand. sorry
Oh man, I dunno about that. Have you played any of the fifa's since 07? EA Canada develops both FIFA and NHL, and they are both really good now.
That being said, I tend to enjoy both EA and 2k's hockey games every year, and this year looks better than last.

# 44 savoie2006 @ 08/09/09 02:12 PM
Quote:
When I look at 2K's game, it looks like a cartoon representation of the sport.
It's funny how many people I've seen say this about each game. Maybe because it's a video game.

# 45 Eddie1967 @ 08/09/09 05:03 PM
I think both of them look like cartoons. Like you said it's a video game. I would give the more cartoony (is that a word) look to EA not as a diss but because it's more colorful.

# 46 BigH2k6 @ 08/10/09 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Question I have after watching that: Why spend so much time improving the arenas even more, when the player models, player graphics and even many of the animations are still so far behind EA's game? That seems to me to be the completely wrong focus. I play NHL 09 and all I think is "Wow: beautiful game to look at; beautiful game in motion." I couldn't care less what the arenas look like, seeing 95% of the game is spent looking at the players and the on-ice movement.

I look at the player models and player movement in this new 2K vid, and my thought is this is what the game should have looked like visually 3 years ago on next-gen. IMO it still looks a ways behind EA is in this area of development. Not very inspiring, to think they chose to make arenas, and not players and player movement, look photo-realistic. Odd game development choice IMO.
While I agree with you to some extent Baa, think about it this way:

A lot of the comments from the EA customers are about how the arenas and presentation needs some upgrades. Even for NHL10 as per info released so far, EA has not touched up on those things much for NHL10.

I think 2K by doing a lot of work on the authenticity of the arenas and game intros are distinguishing themselves from EA. his I think is somewhat of a smart move given the hill they have to climb to get back on the same level as EA after 2K9.

# 47 savoie2006 @ 08/10/09 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH2k6
While I agree with you to some extent Baa, think about it this way:

A lot of the comments from the EA customers are about how the arenas and presentation needs some upgrades. Even for NHL10 as per info released so far, EA has not touched up on those things much for NHL10.

I think 2K by doing a lot of work on the authenticity of the arenas and game intros are distinguishing themselves from EA. his I think is somewhat of a smart move given the hill they have to climb to get back on the same level as EA after 2K9.
Very good point

# 48 muzion @ 08/10/09 04:37 PM
While I don't like the player models and skating as much, if the game plays a realistic brand of hockey and has a great franchise mode then they'll get my money.

# 49 MizzouRah @ 08/12/09 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Totally agree. That is what makes the game come alivfe for me. And yeah locke, I notice that too. That will make it feel even more different.
Agreed. Watch that Detroit intro on the IGN hands on.. sickest intro I've ever seen in a video game.. I'm a Blues fan, but I got goosebumps just watching that.

# 50 MizzouRah @ 08/13/09 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I know that was awesome. I hope they are like that the whole season.
Me too.. and I get anyone to tell me if they are in franchise mode this year.. they should not just be for exhibition or playoffs.

# 51 slickdtc @ 08/13/09 02:39 PM
I'll put it in spoiler tags because I don't want the thread to get all stretched out (as I'm doing it side by side).

Spoiler

I'd have to say RealmK is off in his saying that the glove being bigger then the head is not right. You can clearly see that the glove should be bigger than the head.

What they need to do is drop the shoulders a tad and do something with the goalie masks.

# 52 BigH2k6 @ 08/13/09 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I appreciate your POV. But I have to ask: What is motivating them to do that? Are they taking their new mantrum to cater to the pick-up-and-play crowd to an extreme here? Do they think that pretty rinks are going to wow the crowd into opening their wallets? Sorry, I question that development strategy. There is so much that's wrong with their game, and the last thing they need to be doing is upgrading the one aspect that's already much better than the competition.
I hear ya. But I think with the potential improvements as shared by the 2 dev insights, they seem to have improved a lot of the aspects for which they were slammed last year. If the game is really improved gameplay wise, they will be able to use this authentic arena and intros to differentiate themselves from EA and trying to capture the portion of the market that thinks that EA lacks in presentation which brings authenticity. Maybe it's just me that sees things this way. Just to give you an example, I bought 2k6 (on Original Xbox) after playing the debacle of NHL05. One of the reasons I got the game was because they had customizable soundtrack and goalhorns which made the game so much more authentic to me. That combined with the gameplay

I also think that tomorrow's insight which is supposed to be AI Improvements by WWTC has the potential of really getting things going for VC and 2K.

We've seen what the body of the car looks like, now we'll get to get a glimpse of what's under the hood

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.