Home
News Post

OSCAR DE LA HOYA HEADLINES DOWNLOADABLE
BOXER PACK FOR EA’s FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4

August 12, 2009 – Electronic Arts revealed that its first downloadable boxer pack for Fight Night Round 4 will be available in late August on XBOX LIVE and the Playstation Network for 800 Microsoft points and $9.99, respectively. The downloadable boxer pack will include Oscar De La Hoya, Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir Klitschko, and alternate versions of George Foreman and James Toney. Named the Game Critic Awards “Best Sports Game of E3 2009”, Fight Night Round 4 has been winning over reviewers and fans since its release on June 23rd.

In addition to the boxer pack, EA SPORTS™ will also be releasing a free downloadable game update at the end of August. The free update will include additional trunks, gloves and shorts, as well as a free button control scheme that will allow gamers to use face buttons on the Xbox 360 and PS3 game controllers to throw punches, hooks, uppercuts and haymakers. A new demo featuring the button controls will also be available on XBOX LIVE and the Playstation Network by early September. The 12 round demo will feature Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali as playable boxers.

“We are extremely excited to be able to add Oscar and the Klitschko brothers as part of our roster,” said executive producer, Dean Richards. “As three of the most globally recognized names in the sport, they are an important addition to the Fight Night Round 4 lineup.

Fight Night Round 4 is currently available for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game system from Microsoft. This game has been rated T for Teen by the ESRB, and 16+ by PEGI. For more information, log onto http://fightnight.easports.com.

Game: Fight Night Round 4Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Fight Night Round 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ZB9 @ 08/13/09 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
It's not whether we can afford it or not it has to do with what your getting in return compared to other games and their dlc. I find EA's dlc is a bit to high especially for Tiger Woods which is almost $8 for one course. I'd rather spend it on other games dlc which has more offer. I get a fair amount of games so I am careful where I spend my money and dlc can add up to alot if you try to upgrade most of your games.
what do you feel a "fair" price is for this DLC? (without you knowing how much it cost to sign the K bros)

I bet one boxer is probably equal to a map in Halo when it comes to market value, although probably not equal in overhead. In overhead, a licensed boxer is probably much more expensive than making a new multiplayer map.

# 22 Sausage @ 08/13/09 02:30 AM
Here is a in game shot of DeLaHoya and a middleweight Toney. They have done a great job with both guys. Can't wait to see the Klitschko brothers.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...nd4/images/0/1

# 23 taiketsu @ 08/13/09 05:25 AM
I would have less problems with paying $10 for the DLC if we weren't already bombarded by in-game ads. Furthermore, as other people have mentioned, Toney and Foreman are already in the game. I would rather see EA acquir.new licenses, and provide Toney and Foreman for free,

# 24 acts238shaun @ 08/13/09 05:39 AM
How easily are they recreated and is their own signature style in their DLC? If they are just CAB's with a face and no mo-cap (Morrison) then it's no biggie.

I look forward to the Super Middleweights being in DLC, especially Froch, Kessler and my fave boxer Lucian Bute.

# 25 parker002 @ 08/13/09 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
if a mere 10 bucks for this excellent DLC is too expensive for someone, then maybe they should get a job instead of playing FN....no offense
ROFL

No offense taken, particularly because I make well over $100K a year.

I'm not saying I can't AFFORD it. I'm saying I WON'T PAY it. I can buy full games for 800 points. I can buy hours of content for other games with 800 points.

800 points for 5 boxers, two of which are already in the game, is NOT good value.

# 26 parker002 @ 08/13/09 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
what do you feel a "fair" price is for this DLC? (without you knowing how much it cost to sign the K bros)

I bet one boxer is probably equal to a map in Halo when it comes to market value, although probably not equal in overhead. In overhead, a licensed boxer is probably much more expensive than making a new multiplayer map.
How is a boxer equal to a map? If you want to equate boxers to Halo, then one boxer would likely have the value of a new WEAPON, not an entirely new map.

$5 (400 points) is more than fair value for DLC like this. I can get 3 new songs for Rock Band for 440. Sounds about right.

And again, how much it costs to sign the boxer is IRRELEVANT. It's basic business. If the cost of creating the product is more than the selling price the product will bear on the open market, you have 3 options:

1) Price the product competitively, knowing that you'll never recoup 100% of the cost.

2) Price the product uncompetitively, knowing that if it sells you'll recoup 100% or more of the cost. But also knowing that you run a significant risk of it not selling at all (because of the price), in which case you could have made more money with #1.

3) Don't provide the product at all or find some other way to reduce the cost of producing the product.

The boxer licensing argument just holds no water. Do you know how many BILLIONS EA pays for the exclusive licenses for Madden? Would you be just fine with EA saying "due to the cost of the licenses with the NFL and NFLPA, we are going to start charging $120 for Madden even though we know all other games are between 50-$60."

# 27 ImReady77 @ 08/13/09 11:43 AM
$10 is a lil too much. James Toney looks like gucci mane in that pic.

# 28 ZB9 @ 08/13/09 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker002
How is a boxer equal to a map? If you want to equate boxers to Halo, then one boxer would likely have the value of a new WEAPON, not an entirely new map.

$5 (400 points) is more than fair value for DLC like this. I can get 3 new songs for Rock Band for 440. Sounds about right.

And again, how much it costs to sign the boxer is IRRELEVANT. It's basic business. If the cost of creating the product is more than the selling price the product will bear on the open market, you have 3 options:

1) Price the product competitively, knowing that you'll never recoup 100% of the cost.

2) Price the product uncompetitively, knowing that if it sells you'll recoup 100% or more of the cost. But also knowing that you run a significant risk of it not selling at all (because of the price), in which case you could have made more money with #1.

3) Don't provide the product at all or find some other way to reduce the cost of producing the product.

The boxer licensing argument just holds no water. Do you know how many BILLIONS EA pays for the exclusive licenses for Madden? Would you be just fine with EA saying "due to the cost of the licenses with the NFL and NFLPA, we are going to start charging $120 for Madden even though we know all other games are between 50-$60."
Licensing a single boxer costs more than making a multiplayer map for Halo or Gears of War. Do you feel that $10 for 3 maps is too much? We are talking about $2.50 a boxer. That seems reasonable to me.

Yes EA does want to make money. They probably arent going to keep releasing DLC boxers if they cant make a profit. Im all for them charging as much for the content that makes it worth their while if it keeps them releasing new boxers and other DLC, keeping the game fresh.

# 29 ZB9 @ 08/13/09 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker002
ROFL

No offense taken, particularly because I make well over $100K a year.

I'm not saying I can't AFFORD it. I'm saying I WON'T PAY it. I can buy full games for 800 points. I can buy hours of content for other games with 800 points.

800 points for 5 boxers, two of which are already in the game, is NOT good value.
I actually wasnt referring to you specifically. It was more of a general comment and was full of hyperbole. One disclaimer about me is that im full of crapola

# 30 Stormyhog @ 08/13/09 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9

Each pack will be different so for this one it should be at least $5 considering your only getting 3 new fighters and 2 alternates of ones already in the game. Maybe if their was no boxer share or more to the package say a new venue then it may justify the price. Also with boxer share it could hurt dlc sales as alot of people will be happy making close representations of their fighters and download for them free. Wanna bet that when the next fight night comes out they will remove the boxer share if dlc sales do indeed suffer.

# 31 parker002 @ 08/13/09 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Licensing a single boxer costs more than making a multiplayer map for Halo or Gears of War. Do you feel that $10 for 3 maps is too much? We are talking about $2.50 a boxer. That seems reasonable to me.
3 Halo maps provide CONSIDERABLY more playtime/enjoyment/value than 3 boxers. And again, how much it costs to license a boxer is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Yes EA does want to make money. They probably arent going to keep releasing DLC boxers if they cant make a profit. Im all for them charging as much for the content that makes it worth their while if it keeps them releasing new boxers and other DLC, keeping the game fresh.
They won't make any profit at all if it doesn't sell. And judging by comments on this forum and others, it's not going to.

Selling 100,000 units at $5 is better than selling 25,000 units at $10.

It's basic finance.

# 32 parker002 @ 08/13/09 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
I actually wasnt referring to you specifically. It was more of a general comment and was full of hyperbole. One disclaimer about me is that im full of crapola
Me too!

# 33 Stormyhog @ 08/13/09 05:15 PM
Parker I have the PS3 version so I have to wait for the patch with the extra sliders. I have been trying your sliders and would like to know if I should change anything to compensate til I get the patch. Thanks.

# 34 parker002 @ 08/13/09 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
Parker I have the PS3 version so I have to wait for the patch with the extra sliders. I have been trying your sliders and would like to know if I should change anything to compensate til I get the patch. Thanks.
Gimme a few and I'll post a spreadsheet in the Sliders thread.

# 35 Stormyhog @ 08/13/09 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by withauthority22
thats great that they are getting on a download pack that will cost money, but when will the ps3 get our original patch?
It was delayed because when it came out for the 360 their were problems and sony wouldn't approve it. They will be including the button control patch with this original patch for the PS3 next month once things get smoothed out.

# 36 parker002 @ 08/13/09 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell28
No one has mentioned in this DLC they have a button config and for that I'm down no biggie 10 bucks I know it's a reccesion but wow yall complaining about 10 dollars ok.
The button config won't be part of the $10 download, to my knowledge. If it is, PS3 users are getting RIPPED OFF, because buttons will be free for XBox users.

And again, stating that we won't pay for it isn't the same as complaining that it's too expensive.

You're confusing empirical cost with VALUE.

# 37 JayBee74 @ 08/15/09 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
do y'all realize how much it costs to sign these boxers? They cant just put any boxer they want in the game. They have to negotiate and sign these boxers that overvalue themselves.

I cant believe people are complaining about 10 bucks for cripes sake. At least FN is adding quality DLC. That is 2 bucks a boxer for one of the best DLC packs you will see. A couple of maps for Halo will cost more than 10 bucks.

anyway, im stoked about all of the boxers in the pack, but especially the K bros. They will round out FN's heavyweight roster very nicely.
agreed

# 38 jwired21 @ 08/15/09 10:12 PM
$10 is a lot for 3 new and 2 "alternate" boxers. At least give us 5 complete new ones. An make sure one of them is the Burger king boxer again

# 39 acarrero @ 08/16/09 06:49 PM
It is hard to get these licensed boxers to sign because of money and promoters and previous contractual licenses, etc. Boxershare will affect sales. If they released a 10-boxer pack for same price with lesser known contenders or lesser known past greats, they would have to be either really accurate in their looks or all would have to be good enough to be rated 87 or higher, for it to sell.

Those 4 boxers, with the possible exception of old Foreman, should rate above an 86. I would say younger Toney an 87 or 88, Klitschkos between 88-90, and Oscar 88-91 as well. In his prime Toney was a master who I remember only losing to RJJR and B Hop by decisions. Oscar is #12 all-time in Boxrec's All-time P4P list - way overrated, but you look at his resume and there are a lot of big names in it. If he's a welter, a 90 is deserved. Vitali can be rated around Lennox Lewis' range, and Vlad a point or two below him.

# 40 parker002 @ 08/16/09 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero
It is hard to get these licensed boxers to sign because of money and promoters and previous contractual licenses, etc. Boxershare will affect sales. If they released a 10-boxer pack for same price with lesser known contenders or lesser known past greats, they would have to be either really accurate in their looks or all would have to be good enough to be rated 87 or higher, for it to sell.

Those 4 boxers, with the possible exception of old Foreman, should rate above an 86. I would say younger Toney an 87 or 88, Klitschkos between 88-90, and Oscar 88-91 as well. In his prime Toney was a master who I remember only losing to RJJR and B Hop by decisions. Oscar is #12 all-time in Boxrec's All-time P4P list - way overrated, but you look at his resume and there are a lot of big names in it. If he's a welter, a 90 is deserved. Vitali can be rated around Lennox Lewis' range, and Vlad a point or two below him.
I could name a dozen fighters that would be 87+ that I'd rather see over another version of Toney. Frankly, if they released a 10-pack of lesser known fighters, I'd be all over it. I want more current, active boxers. The CAB share is fine, but it's just not the same, especially since CABs can't have tatoos or anything like that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.