Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

As promised, we’re back today showing all of you the new dribble moves that you’ll see in NBA LIVE 10 this year. We really wanted to differentiate between players this year. What makes LeBron, LeBron? How about CP3? One of the ways in which we’ve captured this is in their dribbling styles. Let’s start with the new “size up” mechanic in NBA LIVE 10.

The size up is a series of dribbling moves used to breakdown a defender. How am I being guarded? Where is the opening? Answering these questions is the purpose of the size up. Once the ball handler catches the defender biting, he can then perform a go move out of the size up to take advantage of an over-zealous defender or a mismatch. Basically, the size up keeps the defender on his toes! In NBA LIVE 10, you perform these moves via the right trigger from a standstill position. Once you move the left stick (to move the character), you break out of the size up and start moving. One of the great things about this mechanic is that it can be broken out of at any time, or better yet, seamlessly linked into any quickstrike dribbling move using the right stick. There’s no waiting for the animation to play out before going into your next move. If you want to start that next move, you can. In the video below, you can see that we’ve captured authentic player specific size ups. You can really see the difference between LeBron and Kobe’s size up moves.

The size up is step 1 of the dribbling moves this year. Master it and you’ll be shaking your defender (especially a human controlled one) in no time. Just because we have size ups in our game, it doesn’t mean that everyone can do them. If you’re a big man with a weak handle, and you use the right trigger, you’ll do dribble moves, but good luck trying to keep up your dribble as it’ll most likely get stripped or you’ll lose control. This also doesn’t mean that the LeBron and Kobe size ups are money moves either. Again, this is a simple mechanic used to branch into more deceptive, calculated quickstrike moves. Do the size up for too long, and you open a window for the defender to read your next movement and strip the ball from you.

There’s also a couple of things in this video that I want to point out to you. You’ll notice right off the bat that there’s not a lot of off-ball player movement. Don’t worry, we have a TON of that this year. We just called an ISOLATION set in each clip to showcase the one on one matchups that we primarily wanted to capture. And finally, yes, that is a eurostep you see Derrick Rose doing. We’ll have A LOT more on the different ways you can finish at the basket this year in the coming weeks.

I really hope you’re enjoying these gameplay videos guys. There’s a lot of them left, so if you haven’t seen something you want to see yet, don’t worry you will.

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Blazix @ 08/13/09 06:33 PM
Did anyone else notice the benches reactions to the play especially the Lebron dunk and the beautiful Rose play

# 102 NINJAK2 @ 08/13/09 06:33 PM
Dribble animations are way improved over live 09. Good job EA

# 103 GSW @ 08/13/09 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
I should have posted this in my write-up, but these videos were captured on PRO difficulty (step up from Rookie).

This video was meant to showcase dribble moves. In order to do that in the time we have, we set it to a lower difficulty (hence the "unstoppable dunks")

I guess what i'm saying is, for these videos, focus on what the video is about, and try your hardest not to investigate everything else (although I know you will). The videos are designed to focus on a certain aspect of our game.
that makes sense.

never mind my comments then (unless you think they apply)

like kg guard varejao so closely at the three point line.

# 104 Stumbleweed @ 08/13/09 06:33 PM
It was just that he was able to so easily loft it over a taller player who timed the jump that I was commenting on, not the drive itself.. As Marcus said, it was on easy difficulty, so I'm not worried about it anymore.

# 105 Mintsa @ 08/13/09 06:34 PM
Can we also chose if we want to dunk or lay up ?? Or does it depend on where you are on the court ??

For example: I'm using Kobe, I size someone up, I drive past the defender and start towards the cup. Can I chose to try and dunk no matter what ?? or vice versa (lay up) ??

# 106 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Can we also chose if we want to dunk or lay up ?? Or does it depend on where you are on the court ??

For example: I'm using Kobe, I size someone up, I drive past the defender and start towards the cup. Can I chose to try and dunk no matter what ?? or vice versa (lay up) ??
yes, but I'm not talking about it until Mike gets to it

# 107 GSW @ 08/13/09 06:36 PM
those dribbles were amazing though man.. like real talk they looked smooth and if we really do have that control then... wow.

# 108 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 06:36 PM
Quote:
I'm guessing its the good ol' ...

Turbo + shoot button = DUNK
driving towards the basket + shoot button = lay up

I could be wrong though..

# 109 Mintsa @ 08/13/09 06:37 PM
Quote:
Good stuff..."my man" LOL.

That's the kind of control I want to hear about being added.

# 110 brs2305 @ 08/13/09 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminurbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs2305

I love how Rose does this little left step to pass Pierce and go for an open layup...never seen something beautiful like this before in an BBgame...

Plus that was user controlled...
And that is what impresses me the most!!!

# 111 Jamin23 @ 08/13/09 06:38 PM
A small detail but I notice that when the shot clock reaches 0 the shot lights up. I don't think that was in 09.

# 112 23 @ 08/13/09 06:40 PM
Deron looked pretty sick in that video man I wanna make that my avatar

The crowd looks alive man, the lighting and the changes there are insane

....Mintsa we saw Nash's size up in the video shown previously to today remember?

So far Nash, Bron, Manu, Kobe, CP3, Rose is all we've seen and they were all different.

# 113 Air_Yeezy @ 08/13/09 06:40 PM
All I can say is WOW. This wait is drivin me crazy!!!!!!!!!! We D-Rose left the defender and came back and the crowd ooohhhed and ahhhh. Not even from a 2k or live perspective but a basketball fan perspective....u guys have done a great job from the looks of it. Way to improve. Everyone on the Live team should be proud because the stills alone are better than last year...lol.... this is a good year for sports games.

# 114 GSW @ 08/13/09 06:40 PM
Quote:
not a nitpick bro, no worries. We were in PRO difficulty. Everything's easier (including collisions)
stephenson,

This is not a nitpick, but just an observation, it even happend in 2k and bugged the hell out of me in that game too.

on dribble drives after the defensive player leaves his man to come help, your offensive teamte always just stands there and never creates an opening to recieve a pass or get in better position for a rebound should there be a miss.

I knwo you said its on PRO difficulty but this shouldnt really be a difficulty related thing, perhaps offensive awareness should dictate where the off ball players go when thier man leaves them.. pau gasol (high IQ player) for instance should have been right in front of the rim after that drive by kobe when thompson left him..(or atleast aggressivly moved to "get open"... again im NOT nitpicking.

just an observation...

the video is amazing though.

# 115 s.gamernut20 @ 08/13/09 06:41 PM
That was swine-flu sick!! Can't wait for Oct. 6

# 116 Blazix @ 08/13/09 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
stephenson,

This is not a nitpick, but just an observation, it even happend in 2k and bugged the hell out of me in that game too.

on dribble drives after the defensive player leaves his man to come help, your offensive teamte always just stands there and never creates an opening to recieve a pass or get in better position for a rebound should there be a miss.

I knwo you said its on PRO difficulty but this shouldnt really be a difficulty related thing, perhaps offensive awareness should dictate where the off ball players go when thier man leaves them.. pau gasol (high IQ player) for instance should have been right in front of the rim after that drive by kobe when thompson left him..(or atleast aggressivly moved to "get open"... again im NOT nitpicking.

just an observation...

nice observation didnt notice that

# 117 crm968 @ 08/13/09 06:43 PM
Did you guys see Scal's reaction to rose crossing over rondo? the third bench guy from the left. He is like whatever man, lol. I love it. By the way, just adding the ohhs from the crowd makes the game that much better and authentic. Thanks EA

# 118 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
stephenson,

just an observation...

You'll see some of this. I just can't talk about it b/c we'll have nothing to talk about!

# 119 Jamin23 @ 08/13/09 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm968
Did you guys see Scal's reaction to rose crossing over rondo? the third bench guy from the left. He is like whatever man, lol. I love it. By the way, just adding the ohhs from the crowd makes the game that much better and authentic. Thanks EA
The atmosphere is there this year.

# 120 DW3 @ 08/13/09 06:46 PM
man this looks so sick! Hey marcus any hint to an exact day for the demo?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.