Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

As promised, we’re back today showing all of you the new dribble moves that you’ll see in NBA LIVE 10 this year. We really wanted to differentiate between players this year. What makes LeBron, LeBron? How about CP3? One of the ways in which we’ve captured this is in their dribbling styles. Let’s start with the new “size up” mechanic in NBA LIVE 10.

The size up is a series of dribbling moves used to breakdown a defender. How am I being guarded? Where is the opening? Answering these questions is the purpose of the size up. Once the ball handler catches the defender biting, he can then perform a go move out of the size up to take advantage of an over-zealous defender or a mismatch. Basically, the size up keeps the defender on his toes! In NBA LIVE 10, you perform these moves via the right trigger from a standstill position. Once you move the left stick (to move the character), you break out of the size up and start moving. One of the great things about this mechanic is that it can be broken out of at any time, or better yet, seamlessly linked into any quickstrike dribbling move using the right stick. There’s no waiting for the animation to play out before going into your next move. If you want to start that next move, you can. In the video below, you can see that we’ve captured authentic player specific size ups. You can really see the difference between LeBron and Kobe’s size up moves.

The size up is step 1 of the dribbling moves this year. Master it and you’ll be shaking your defender (especially a human controlled one) in no time. Just because we have size ups in our game, it doesn’t mean that everyone can do them. If you’re a big man with a weak handle, and you use the right trigger, you’ll do dribble moves, but good luck trying to keep up your dribble as it’ll most likely get stripped or you’ll lose control. This also doesn’t mean that the LeBron and Kobe size ups are money moves either. Again, this is a simple mechanic used to branch into more deceptive, calculated quickstrike moves. Do the size up for too long, and you open a window for the defender to read your next movement and strip the ball from you.

There’s also a couple of things in this video that I want to point out to you. You’ll notice right off the bat that there’s not a lot of off-ball player movement. Don’t worry, we have a TON of that this year. We just called an ISOLATION set in each clip to showcase the one on one matchups that we primarily wanted to capture. And finally, yes, that is a eurostep you see Derrick Rose doing. We’ll have A LOT more on the different ways you can finish at the basket this year in the coming weeks.

I really hope you’re enjoying these gameplay videos guys. There’s a lot of them left, so if you haven’t seen something you want to see yet, don’t worry you will.

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAP19
LeBron really doesn't, but I'm sure people assume he does

That's a problem IMO. I really hope that'll change in higher difficulties. Defenders should sag off when their man is that far out of his range whether he has the ball or not
we accounted for LeBron's lack of quick FIRST step. We saw him get worked by Kobe...and that's me talking about my favorite player...

# 122 Shakedowncapo @ 08/13/09 06:47 PM
Dre' theres only room for one DWill groupie. Back up!

# 123 GSW @ 08/13/09 06:47 PM
imma go ham tomorrow after the Mike Wang Video wooo weeee

im getting so hyped

# 124 Blazix @ 08/13/09 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
The atmosphere is there this year.
I second this
EA really did a great job this year

# 125 Behindshadows @ 08/13/09 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Deron looked pretty sick in that video man I wanna make that my avatar

The crowd looks alive man, the lighting and the changes there are insane

....Mintsa we saw Nash's size up in the video shown previously to today remember?

So far Nash, Bron, Manu, Kobe, CP3, Rose is all we've seen and they were all different.
Pick 1 and make your Avatar!!!

# 126 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 06:50 PM
Marcus, not complaining here, but is the Celtics uniform that green? I mean it almost look like a "neon" green to me...I know it's darker than that...

Like this:

# 127 crm968 @ 08/13/09 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
The atmosphere is there this year.
yeah it is...IMO they are killing it so far. No one expected Live to step up so much this year, so we all have to be pretty grateful that we are getting this game. We are so used to being surprised now that we are expecting a revolutionary breakthrough everytime they show us something new, come on people. They have done enough to convince me. However, lol, i know they have much more surprises for us in terms of features and gameplay. Let's just be appreciative though, instead of needy. We got a lot more than we asked for so far.

# 128 bateman11 @ 08/13/09 06:51 PM
All i gotta say is wow. Amazing video.

Every player looks different, this dribbling mechanic looks like its going to be fun as hell. For me, that's super important because i would rather cross someone up then anything else. Flat out awesome!

And we have control over how we finish at the rim? wow.

# 129 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm968
yeah it i...IMO they are killing it so far. No one expected Live to step up so much this year, so we all have to be pretty grateful that we are getting this game. We are so used to being surprised now that we are expecting a revolutionary breakthrough everytime they show us something new, come on people. They have done enough to convince me. However, lol, i know they have much more surprises for us in terms of features and gameplay. Let's just be appreciated though, instead of needy. We got a lot more than we asked for so far.
And you know what, after renting live 09 for 1 week, i differentiate live's athmosphere and 2ks...I really like EA's sound effects, arena sounds, and crowd sounds better than 2k..

# 130 Parasight @ 08/13/09 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03
Marcus, not complaining here, but is the Celtics uniform that green? I mean it almost look like a "neon" green to me...I know it's darker than that...

Like this:

This. One of the first things I noticed. Kobe's head is also incredibly shiny. Other than that though the new layup animations look great.

# 131 Stumbleweed @ 08/13/09 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
imma go ham tomorrow after the Mike Wang Video wooo weeee

im getting so hyped
I'm with you man... haven't been this excited about a game for a long while (probably 2K8). The devs are rubbing me the right way here and I have no reason to doubt them since they've been really honest with us (don't have time to do everything we asked for, etc). If anything, I think the game is being undersold right now, and I'm this excited for it?!

Can't wait for our dude Mike to break it down tomorrow.

# 132 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasight
This. One of the first things I noticed. Kobe's head is also incredibly shiny. Other than that though the new layup animations look great.
I noticed neither 2k or EA got this color right...Just my observation..

# 133 HoosierDaddy @ 08/13/09 06:56 PM
Screenshots from the video. Remember fellas, compressed video!

# 134 Vaiasucks @ 08/13/09 06:56 PM
Stumbleweed is my official spokesperson from this point on.

I'm also hoping they elaborate on defense ESPECIALLY defense in OTP...

# 135 Stumbleweed @ 08/13/09 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiasucks

Heh, thanks.

Yes, both games absolutely need to make it easier to play defense in OTP. You couldn't even deny the ball in Live 09, but even in 2K9 where you could do that, it didn't make a bit of difference on the pass getting there and it was basically a free-for-all on offense with the occasional clean block to break the monotony. Simple ball denial and the ability to play passing lanes while doing so (i.e. staying between your man and the ball) would do wonders for Live, but I hope they make help defense easier to play as well. I'm hoping for additional controls on both sides of the ball for OTP.

# 136 Rob. D @ 08/13/09 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiasucks

Me too

# 137 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAP19

Why is the Boston bench still standing? Don't tell me certain benches stand until their team scores their first point...
and it's the first quarter...

# 138 HoosierDaddy @ 08/13/09 07:01 PM
After looking at these screenshots guys, I'm very impressed with the lighting and everything, and these are compressed videos. If you take a quick glance at a few of the shots I posted, it looks like it's real life photos.

# 139 crm968 @ 08/13/09 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03
And you know what, after renting live 09 for 1 week, i differentiate live's athmosphere and 2ks...I really like EA's sound effects, arena sounds, and crowd sounds better than 2k..
Same here. I can't wait for a playoff atmosphere. Also, i have yet to see a game though that really nails a buzzer beater celebration correctly or smoothly. We will see if that is different this year for either game. 2k9 has it but it's not very convincing and the celebration kinda comes late. When you listen to the announcer it sounds great to hear...For the win! but sometimes the animation doesn't do the audio justice, that's IMO a very difficult thing for a game designer/producer to do. And celebrations are a MAJOR part of the NBA. It makes it dramatic

# 140 blingballa333 @ 08/13/09 07:09 PM
Hey Hoosier Daddy, your pic:

Seems to be much lower quality then my pic form the same scene

You should try photobucket or save yur images as a PNG file, not a JPG or BMP.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.