Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

As promised, we’re back today showing all of you the new dribble moves that you’ll see in NBA LIVE 10 this year. We really wanted to differentiate between players this year. What makes LeBron, LeBron? How about CP3? One of the ways in which we’ve captured this is in their dribbling styles. Let’s start with the new “size up” mechanic in NBA LIVE 10.

The size up is a series of dribbling moves used to breakdown a defender. How am I being guarded? Where is the opening? Answering these questions is the purpose of the size up. Once the ball handler catches the defender biting, he can then perform a go move out of the size up to take advantage of an over-zealous defender or a mismatch. Basically, the size up keeps the defender on his toes! In NBA LIVE 10, you perform these moves via the right trigger from a standstill position. Once you move the left stick (to move the character), you break out of the size up and start moving. One of the great things about this mechanic is that it can be broken out of at any time, or better yet, seamlessly linked into any quickstrike dribbling move using the right stick. There’s no waiting for the animation to play out before going into your next move. If you want to start that next move, you can. In the video below, you can see that we’ve captured authentic player specific size ups. You can really see the difference between LeBron and Kobe’s size up moves.

The size up is step 1 of the dribbling moves this year. Master it and you’ll be shaking your defender (especially a human controlled one) in no time. Just because we have size ups in our game, it doesn’t mean that everyone can do them. If you’re a big man with a weak handle, and you use the right trigger, you’ll do dribble moves, but good luck trying to keep up your dribble as it’ll most likely get stripped or you’ll lose control. This also doesn’t mean that the LeBron and Kobe size ups are money moves either. Again, this is a simple mechanic used to branch into more deceptive, calculated quickstrike moves. Do the size up for too long, and you open a window for the defender to read your next movement and strip the ball from you.

There’s also a couple of things in this video that I want to point out to you. You’ll notice right off the bat that there’s not a lot of off-ball player movement. Don’t worry, we have a TON of that this year. We just called an ISOLATION set in each clip to showcase the one on one matchups that we primarily wanted to capture. And finally, yes, that is a eurostep you see Derrick Rose doing. We’ll have A LOT more on the different ways you can finish at the basket this year in the coming weeks.

I really hope you’re enjoying these gameplay videos guys. There’s a lot of them left, so if you haven’t seen something you want to see yet, don’t worry you will.

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Da_Czar @ 08/13/09 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW

kg got anged on pretty vicious shoulda atleast been a body on body and one or a foul or something, and even in ISO situations sometimes the Defense sets up or overloads one side to prevent exactly what happend (especially celtics),

If the finish moves are selectable as they have hinted at and you watch the vid again kg might have "thought" he was coming down the middle and the user "chose" the shot option of going right if that makes any since... like shot stick on a break you can go straight right or left. from bron's change of direction i believe that may have been what happened and why there was no contact.

IF they made it where the defense has to make the right decision to be able to make contact that would make sense.

PURE speculation on my part but i could see that happening.

# 142 Da_Czar @ 08/13/09 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
It was just that he was able to so easily loft it over a taller player who timed the jump that I was commenting on, not the drive itself.. As Marcus said, it was on easy difficulty, so I'm not worried about it anymore.
stumble I would also wonder how Kobe's sht in traffic rating fares against thompson's shot blocking ability.

# 143 Stumbleweed @ 08/13/09 07:18 PM
Yeah, which I think was a bit of an issue in Live 09. You could basically drive right into traffic with high-rated players and get the bounce (or at the least, a foul called) 90% of the time. I'm sure it'll be toned down this year, especially on higher difficulty levels and with the additional defensive animations/controls they added.

Can't wait to break someone off with Melo's jab step.

# 144 GSW @ 08/13/09 07:21 PM
I cant wait to unleash Baby Jesus powers unto thee online...

yall not ready

# 145 BiggD @ 08/13/09 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
please someone put this on youttube!!!

yo GSW, did you see the slamonline vid??? warriors throwback baby!!!

# 146 Da_Czar @ 08/13/09 07:23 PM
and is it me ? or did they actually improve the spacing ? On those iso's there seems like a lot of room on the iso side but the other players aren't all bunched up together either.

what makes these video's so nice so far for me is that they have improved the smoothness of the animations without sacrificing (so far) the footplanting. That to me is impressive. its time out for guys sliding all over the floor.

# 147 XxX syntax XxX @ 08/13/09 07:24 PM
After reading alot of people are still nitpicking for no reason..Nba live 10 looks great all the way around and its a most def must buy..Im glad of how they did live 10 this year and the demo will speak for its self

# 148 BiggD @ 08/13/09 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
I cant wait to unleash Baby Jesus powers unto thee online...

yall not ready
preach!!!!!!!

# 149 Da_Czar @ 08/13/09 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAP19
Does Melo even know how to drive after a jab step?

Jab, jumper all day.
that will be a beautiful thing. mixed in with some pump fakes and maybe a hesitation or two.

# 150 jstnw89 @ 08/13/09 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
not a nitpick bro, no worries. We were in PRO difficulty. Everything's easier (including collisions)
Hey marcus, you say that everything is easier including collisions ... well in the kg/lebron dunk sequence kg is pushed under the basket by lebron's "force field" then sucked back to where he had originally jumped from. Will this problem be corrected by playing on a higher difficulty setting (where there will be more collisions) or is it just something that happens in the game from time to time. (apologies if I sound crazy)

# 151 23 @ 08/13/09 07:32 PM
He does have a point about the footplanting working without a massive amount of sliding doesnt he?

# 152 Bornindamecca @ 08/13/09 07:33 PM
People's concerns about the collisions and Marcus' response are both noted. That having been said, the branching in the dribbling looks great. Going by what we saw in the Hustle video, there should be some nice Rock/Paper/Scissors action in the one on one game.

I'm not going to voice concerns about other things since this vid was to showcase dribbling, and the dribbling looked excellent.

# 153 kunqlao @ 08/13/09 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
yo GSW, did you see the slamonline vid??? warriors throwback baby!!!
I hope they have these too,

http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/mediapose06_city.jpg

# 154 23 @ 08/13/09 07:44 PM
Quote:
Most definitely-- I didn't mean it in a negative way (I'm sure you guys have grown to take everything I say to be that way ). I'm glad he's voicin his disapproval with 2K's sliding and commending Live's footplanting.
I know what you meant Ray, I was agreeing with you and him

# 155 zfinley @ 08/13/09 07:47 PM

# 156 SageInfinite @ 08/13/09 07:49 PM
Looks great for the most part. Something weird about the Lebron dunk animation and the Kobe lay-up, cant put my finger on it. EA games are always better to play than look at though. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

# 157 stephensonmc @ 08/13/09 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Looks great for the most part. Something weird about the Lebron dunk animation and the Kobe lay-up, cant put my finger on it. EA games are always better to play than look at though. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.
put your finger on it Sage. Don't cop out... hit me!

Kobe didn't lay the ball up, he stopped and then floated it up.

# 158 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfinley
To the guy who said that the "oohhh" and "ahhh" doesn't happen when a home team/player gets crossed... here's the perfect example..

# 159 Da-Man @ 08/13/09 07:58 PM
best gameplay video so far... 1 question though, why does everyone do that same celebration after they score?

# 160 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/13/09 07:58 PM
Quote:
Another thing I'm worried about is the crowd reactions... they were good in the Rose sequence, but I hope they aren't programmed to just "OHHHH!" at a certain move every time it's done, regardless of whether the defender got cracked or not.

Somethin else that would be cool would be if someone on the home team got SERIOUSLY crossed, the home crowd would ooh and ahh.
Very funny ray, very funny...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.