Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The NFC East is perhaps the best division in the NFL. Each team in the division has a realistic reason to believe they can make the playoffs and all of them could also make cases for winning the division.

But who is going to eventually win the division? That is the question which our own Richard Chavez tries to answer after the jump!

Read More - OS Madden 10 Preview: NFC East

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RayAllen20 @ 08/17/09 02:33 PM
jason campbells from auburn..

# 2 marcoyk @ 08/17/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
jason campbells from auburn..
I read it and was like WHAT?! I'm glad someone beat me to it. haha.
I think it will be:
Eagles
Giants
Redskins
Cowboys

# 3 marcoyk @ 08/17/09 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
Yep, credibility gone. LOL

Actually, I'd pick it like this:

1. Philly - 10-6
2. Giants - 10-6
3. Cowboys 9-7
4. Redskins 7-9

Until the Cowboys prove it, you can't pick them higher, but the difference between them, the Giants, and the Eagles will be razor thin.

Campbell isn't anywhere close to the caliber of the other three quarterbacks, so the Redskins are a non-factor. I could see Washington at 4-12, in fact.
4-12? That's taking it a little too far. The Skins had a top 5 defense last year without Albert Haynesworth and Brian Orakpo. Sure they lost Shawn Springs but those two will definitely help a lot. We didn't get great pressure last year but I feel like we'll be able to with those two acquisitions. A team with a top 5 defense won't finish 4-12. They were forth in yards per game last year. And this is Jason Campbell first year of having the same offense as the previous year, going back to his years at Auburn. Sure he isn't as good as Manning, McNabb, and Romo, but he'll have a decent year this year.

# 4 wwharton @ 08/17/09 05:24 PM
Quote:

1. Philly - 10-6
2. Giants - 10-6
3. Cowboys 9-7
4. Redskins 7-9

Until the Cowboys prove it, you can't pick them higher, but the difference between them, the Giants, and the Eagles will be razor thin.

Campbell isn't anywhere close to the caliber of the other three quarterbacks, so the Redskins are a non-factor. I could see Washington at 4-12, in fact.
4-12... like last year? The year before? Actually, I can't remember your prediction of the Skins for any year but my guess is they've probably finished every year better than you expected. There's a better chance they'll be competing for a playoff spot late into the season like they usually are... with people saying how bad they are even if they make the playoffs the year before (went to the playoffs twice under Gibbs). Your 7-9 is closer to a low end prediction than 4-12, assuming no serious injuries which would screw up the prediction for any team in this division.

BTW, I wouldn't dare compare Campbell to McNabb who has too long of a resume, and will bite my tongue on Eli who has a ring... but Romo's only shown anything after being able to sit and learn for a while and then toss the ball to TO and Witten (which we'd all agree is better than Santana Moss and Cooley 8 days out of the week). I see no reason to say Campbell and Romo aren't on the same level at this point unless we're talking about a fantasy football draft.

# 5 CM Hooe @ 08/17/09 05:47 PM
Quote:

1. Philly - 10-6
2. Giants - 10-6
3. Cowboys 9-7
4. Redskins 7-9

I'd get the Redskins up to 8-8, maybe even tied with the Cowboys, but I have that as my order-of-finish prediction as well. Campbell certainly is the fourth-best QB in the division but I don't feel he's awful, and he's not behind either Romo or Manning (depending on who you have in third) by much, IMO. (note - I admit wholly to being a homer with regard to Tony Romo, but nothing Eli Manning has ever done has jumped off the page at me. He's good, though.)

Further, the talent gap between all of these teams isn't that great, IMO.

# 6 Checmate101 @ 08/17/09 08:09 PM
I'm going

Giants
Redskins
Philly
Cowboys

# 7 wwharton @ 08/17/09 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I'd get the Redskins up to 8-8, maybe even tied with the Cowboys, but I have that as my order-of-finish prediction as well. Campbell certainly is the fourth-best QB in the division but I don't feel he's awful, and he's not behind either Romo or Manning (depending on who you have in third) by much, IMO. (note - I admit wholly to being a homer with regard to Tony Romo, but nothing Eli Manning has ever done has jumped off the page at me. He's good, though.)

Further, the talent gap between all of these teams isn't that great, IMO.
I agree but won't even try to guess an order. I think those will be the records (with 8-8 being the lowest) but honestly, any of these teams could finish first or last.

Eli deserves credit for that playoff run and winning the SB. Doesn't make him great, but he wasn't just along for the ride. That alone has to put him over Romo and Campbell. But I agree that just watching them play, I still can't put him on the same level as McNabb (no matter what Eagles fans say, lol). But if Campbell plays like he did the first half of last season, he's easily on par with Romo. And that's nothing against Romo. People forget how Campbell played before the oline got dismantled by injury. Gave him lest time to throw and took away his 2nd best option with Cooley staying in to block more.

# 8 RayAllen20 @ 08/17/09 10:22 PM
my predictions are..

ny giants 11-5
cowboys 10-6
giants 9-7
redskins 6-10

Giants just are a solid team. Eli is a good Qb never does anything great but also doesnt make many mistakes. Running game is good and D is one of the best now with Osi back.

I just like the Cowboys this year. I think the defense is under rated and feel Romo is gonna have a better year than last year. Look for Roy Williams to dominate too.

The Eagles have tons of weapons and will look good for a lot of the year, but McNabb will eventually melt down at one point in the season (always seems to). Also will the D be as good without Dawkins and Jim Johnson (R.I.P.)?

The Redskins looks good on the defensive side. But offensively Campbell isnt as good as the other NFC Qbs. Okay at times but not in the top half of the league. Also his weapons arent as good as all the other teams. Sad they dont have Sean Taylor anymore. Imagine how good hed be right now. Like an Ed Reed.

Anyways those are my predictions but doubt ill be right. haha these things are impossible to guess.

# 9 Aggies7 @ 08/17/09 10:42 PM
Im gunna go with:

Giants: 11-5
Eagles: 10-6
Cowboys: 8-8
Redskins: 7-9

I just dont think Campbell is the answer in Washington, hense the 7-9 record.

As for the Cowboys I do not see Roy Williams stepping up and big #1 WR he is expected to be.

Giants have Usi back and I believe the WR corp as a group should be able to replace the missing production from Plaxico.

The Eagles to me are the wildcard in this equation. Jim Johnson D is still in place, so the change in DC's wont effect the Eagle besides the emotional effect of losing Jim Johnson. As for the offense, I just dont know how Maclin and Jackson will do this year and I believe if they play to their ability and Westbrook stays healthy they could end up ahead of the Giants at 12-4.

# 10 teshia1 @ 08/18/09 09:28 AM
I think Jason Campbell is just as good as any of the other QB's in division....he's just got a raw deal of playing behind a weak offensive line and no receivers besides Moss and Cooley.....even through all that the Redskins were 6-2 after 8 games last year and when the injuries mounted up the team went downhill.....if healthy they are just as good as anybody else....Eagles.....Giants....Redskins......Cowboys

# 11 wwharton @ 08/18/09 11:38 AM
Quote:
Until a QB has done something in the playoffs - which Romo and Campbell haven't - all you can really go by is numbers and translate it into potential. Romo has put up terrific numbers; Campbell hasn't.

I think another issue for Washington is Portis. He's starting to get banged up pretty good.

I am not saying the Skins don't have players. This whole division has players. And ALL of their records will suffer because they beat up on each other.

The division winner here would go 13-3 in the NFC West.
That's a convenient argument for a Cowboys fan. Truth is neither QB has done anything in the playoffs... period. Both have done well when key players around them are healthy. There's a chance JC's key players could get hurt and abandon him again but it's a sure thing that Romo will have to put up those "terrific numbers" without TO, so we'll see how it goes.

# 12 SoxFan01605 @ 08/18/09 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
That's a convenient argument for a Cowboys fan. Truth is neither QB has done anything in the playoffs... period. Both have done well when key players around them are healthy. There's a chance JC's key players could get hurt and abandon him again but it's a sure thing that Romo will have to put up those "terrific numbers" without TO, so we'll see how it goes.
I don't know about convenient, but it's pretty fair IMO. I would say the edge would have to go to Romo given his performance as a whole. People like to talk about his late season "chokes" but it's been a team wide epidemic...lol. He's performed in some pressure situations, and for a guy with just a tick under 3 full seasons he's not doing too bad. People who act as though he's nothing but a choke artist hold no more water than those who have him as a top 3-5 QB IMO. (not saying this applies to you directly).

Peyton Manning was nothing but a stat collector early on to people and he's been surrounded by talent as well. I'm not making any comparisons beyond that...lol...my only point being, that it's a tad unfair to hold it against Romo in that regard.

All that said, Romo is the one with the most to prove this year. We'll soon find out what the real deal is. Was Terrell the security blanket who padded his stats, or the shackles that held him back? My guess would be that, as usual, the answer lies somewhere in the middle, but we'll see.

As for the division, I was not wholly surprised to see the Cowboys last. I personally have it like this:

Eagles
Giants
Cowboys
Redskins

Also, I have a feeling that all things being level (injuries, etc) that the real battle to watch will be the Eagles/Giants. They're the most balanced teams (good in all three phases).

Not even sure the Cowboys/Skins will push that hard, to be honest. I just don't see enough bang from Washington's O, and Dallas' D (though it gets talked about less) is more overrated than people make Tony Romo out to be...lol.

# 13 wwharton @ 08/18/09 02:27 PM
But you just said you aren't necessarily talking about me... I'm not calling Romo a choke artist and think he's played pretty well during his time starting. I give him credit for his stats but can't ignore that he got them leaning on TO and then also ignore that Campbell was being called a probowler before half his offensive line went down to injury. This isn't about how good Romo is, it's about where Campbell compares and he's consistently underrated. I don't think he's great by any means but at this point he's comparable to Romo.

BTW, when people were calling Manning a choke artist he was breaking passing records, consistently leading his team to one of the top records in the NFL and only falling short of the SB. Romo's cowboys have barely made the playoffs and lost in the first round when they got there. Romo really has no more in common with Manning than Campbell, besides things like being in the same system for multiple years and having potentially 2 HOF players to throw to.

# 14 MattieShoes @ 08/18/09 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
my predictions are..

ny giants 11-5
cowboys 10-6
giants 9-7
redskins 6-10
Am I the first to notice the giants devoured the eagles then spawned a second giants team? :-)

# 15 SoxFan01605 @ 08/18/09 04:59 PM
I see your point. To compare them is certainly fair enough. I actually agree with you on the issue of JC being disadvantaged in terms of surrounding talent and support in general. I actually think that, after McNabb, all the QB's are relatively close. My only point was that it was a bit more than a convenient defense (as you implied towards the other poster) and fair for someone to give the edge to Romo thus far.

I think the issue of whether or not Campbell is underrated is separate...just as the issue of whether or not Romo is overrated. It's subjective. Ironically, most knowledgeable outside sources have been relatively high on JC, it's unfortunately his own team that has been wishy-washy on him (constantly shopping around, not showing patience/dedication towards his development, etc).

As for the Manning comparison, I thought I made clear I was only speaking in terms of labels at that juncture in their career. This was before records were being broken, etc. Manning was accused of not being able to "win the big one" since college. It was merely to illustrate that it's a bit silly to define a guy after a few seasons. I admit is was a loose comparison...that was by design. I'm one of the less literal people around here.

None of my thoughts on this is to say Romo's deserved of the constant praise he's recieved. I'm only pointing out that, generally speaking, some of the criticism he gets seems to be more rooted in countering his hype rather than out of honest evaluation. As I said, I wasn't attributing any of those thoughts to you...it was just part of my thought process on the general topic after I quoted your post.

This is all a side bar from the thread's point though, so sorry for getting sidetracked.

# 16 wwharton @ 08/18/09 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I see your point. To compare them is certainly fair enough. I actually agree with you on the issue of JC being disadvantaged in terms of surrounding talent and support in general. I actually think that, after McNabb, all the QB's are relatively close. My only point was that it was a bit more than a convenient defense (as you implied towards the other poster) and fair for someone to give the edge to Romo thus far.

I think the issue of whether or not Campbell is underrated is separate...just as the issue of whether or not Romo is overrated. It's subjective. Ironically, most knowledgeable outside sources have been relatively high on JC, it's unfortunately his own team that has been wishy-washy on him (constantly shopping around, not showing patience/dedication towards his development, etc).

As for the Manning comparison, I thought I made clear I was only speaking in terms of labels at that juncture in their career. This was before records were being broken, etc. Manning was accused of not being able to "win the big one" since college. It was merely to illustrate that it's a bit silly to define a guy after a few seasons. I admit is was a loose comparison...that was by design. I'm one of the less literal people around here.

None of my thoughts on this is to say Romo's deserved of the constant praise he's recieved. I'm only pointing out that, generally speaking, some of the criticism he gets seems to be more rooted in countering his hype rather than out of honest evaluation. As I said, I wasn't attributing any of those thoughts to you...it was just part of my thought process on the general topic after I quoted your post.

This is all a side bar from the thread's point though, so sorry for getting sidetracked.
It sounds like the biggest issue you have with what I said was that it was a convenient defense. Basically, it came from Freelance (big time cowboy homer and started all of this by saying the Skins will go 4-12) so that was more a little shot at him than what I was basing my argument around. With that said, I'd disagree that many are giving JC the credit he deserves. Realistically, he hasn't put up numbers or wins to back up the claim he should be given more respect. But if you dig deeper in his situation since he's been in the nfl (as you know) it's not exactly what it seems.

I understand what you're saying about Manning but he doesn't belong in the conversation. To say he can't win the big game, referring to the SB is much different than a guy who can barely get his team in the playoffs and hasn't won a playoff game. Like Campbell, I don't think it's fair to judge Romo simply on those two facts, but while some are doing that, the people you're talking about that judged Manning would've still put him in the HOF at the end of his career.

# 17 NYG_Meth @ 08/18/09 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Am I the first to notice the giants devoured the eagles then spawned a second giants team? :-)
lol--- I noticed too

# 18 Fresh Tendrils @ 08/18/09 07:58 PM
If the Redskin's organization can find a way to take what Jason Campbell was doing for the first half of last season and make it last 16+ weeks, I would be a happy camper.

# 19 pistoldill @ 08/19/09 04:23 AM
Redskins
Giants
Eagles
Cowboys

The Redskins are going to the Super Bowl.

# 20 wwharton @ 08/19/09 02:46 PM
I'd love a Skins v Ravens SB! Lets get them scoring a point this week first though.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.