Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 demo is available for the Xbox 360. Post your impressions here. The PS3 demo will be available next week.

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 541 scooteristkai @ 09/07/09 06:13 AM
L1+R1!!

# 542 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/09 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
So I was playing be a pro mode. I love that mode. But I found out something. You know who is the fastest skater in the game. That one ref! I was trying to take out the ref in the post scrum crap and he kept out running me. And he was not even skating fast, and I was, it was quite funny!

# 543 ATRAINOLSM2293 @ 09/07/09 02:02 PM
I just had the coolest play ever happen in the be a pro

Reply if you have had it happen to you

I have a delayed penalty on me. A guy takes a shot from the blue line and it deflects off his own guy and slides down the ice into the net left empty by the goalie who skated to the bench after the penalty

And of course the instant replay is disabled so i filmed it on the highlight on my phone but it doesnt show the whole thing

# 544 PhillsPhan26 @ 09/07/09 03:54 PM
Ever since this new update for the PS3, when trying to exit the NHL 10 demo my PS3 restarts. Is this happening to anyone else?

# 545 jdl24 @ 09/07/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillsPhan26
Ever since this new update for the PS3, when trying to exit the NHL 10 demo my PS3 restarts. Is this happening to anyone else?
Mine doesn't do that. I have no issue exiting the game back to the XMB.

# 546 dodgerblue @ 09/08/09 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillsPhan26
yes. Every time.

# 547 onlybygrace @ 09/08/09 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I can't stress enough how I'm loving the scoring variety this year. Just managed to pop 3 goals past a cpu Fluery on HC/SS, and each one felt so rewarding because they all came off of good positioning and cycling. 3rd period starts off tied 2-2, on the powerplay I get a cycle going down low behind the net, the AI Pens players do a good job of not giving me any lanes out front to the net, pop it back to the point, see an opening and take a low slapper glove side, rebound, Dats slams it home just over the glove.

Second goal again on the pp trying to setup a down low cycle, cpu boardplays me and gets the puck but makes a terrible pass back to its Dman rather than clear the puck, it hits a Pens player in front off the skate, pops on Hossa's stick, 5 hole goal. Final minute of the game deep in the Pens zone the CPU has obviously set its strats for all out attack leaving the slot wide open, Zetterberg recieves a pass from the side wall, and before they can get a man to lay a hit on him, I manage to pull a little studder step get Fluery moving and drive it home 5 hole again. Time expires on a 5-2 win.

The organic feeling just keeps me coming back over and over. Absolutely cannot wait til the 15th.
I know man...

I had some awesome goals last night and even some awesome misses...

I scored to win the Cup in OT on a point shot that was deflected off the left post and past Fluery, who was 7 or 8 feet in front of the net...so it looked awesome as the puck beat him and rung around the goal before spitting out at the right post

I'm gonna play you online when this baby drops...

The more sim you play...the better this baby performs and soon we'll have the real thing in our hands.

# 548 phillyfan23 @ 09/08/09 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace

The more sim you play...the better this baby performs and soon we'll have the real thing in our hands.
agreed 100 percent. I noticed myself trying to score on the rush too often sometimes and the cpu will just have u for breakfast. As soon as I dumped, cycled, things opened up much more and had more success. Don't get me wrong, you can have good success off the rush with the stars, but if that's all you do, just can't do well consistently.

if the cpu pass accuracy slider works, this could be a game for the ages for the sim crowd.

same thing with applies to 2k as well if their sliders.settings work. Hockey gamers could be on cloud nine this time next week.

# 549 armi5718 @ 09/08/09 08:35 AM
I got back from Europe and finally played the demo (on my brothers PS3) and WOW. FANTASTIC. The passing was great on hardcore, the cpu players on my team were smarter than last year. Everything was great. My only issue with the game is the lack of a shot power/ accuracy penalty for shooting with one hand or backhand. I wish there were a way for EA to add that in because it would really help. Thats nit picking though. I love this game already and Ive only played the effing demo.

# 550 phillyfan23 @ 09/08/09 08:58 AM
Quote:
For sure Philly, if 2k10's sliders can produce more neutral zone pressure, cpu dump & chases, less tape to tape passing, and a ton more board play, I'll dig it. There's alot of good in those Wash/Philly videos, some great looking contact animations, and the game visually looks better than it ever has. While theres elements that still put me off of 2k10, I hope its at least solid this year.
my big 2k10 worry is the backing up of the defenseman and also the lack of dump and chase. cpu tape to tape passing was pretty much gone last year with 2k's pass accuracy slider.

This could be the first year ever i will buy and KEEP 2 hockey games.
Hopefully that's a dilemma I and others will face.

# 551 Qb @ 09/08/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
To get back on topic has anyone else noticed that if you are able to put a few solid checks on the cpu in the demo that they tend to get a bit more sloppy with their decision making? Ringing it around the boards for inaccurate passes trying to avoid the forecheck and in general it leading to more turnovers by the cpu in their own end? Or am I just seeing things.
This is something they talked up in early blogs, so I guess the answer is, no, you're not seeing things.

I've been wanting to see this in hockey games for a while. The AI in 09 (vs CPU or in BAP) was dead set on carrying & passing the puck out of it's zone, no matter how much pressure it was under, often going right in front of the net or up the middle from the corner. Hopefully they'll make the safe play more in 10, as that's what is stressed in the NHL these days...

# 552 phillyfan23 @ 09/08/09 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
This is something they talked up in early blogs, so I guess the answer is, no, you're not seeing things.

I've been wanting to see this in hockey games for a while. The AI in 09 (vs CPU or in BAP) was dead set on carrying & passing the puck out of it's zone, no matter how much pressure it was under, often going right in front of the net or up the middle from the corner. Hopefully they'll make the safe play more in 10, as that's what is stressed in the NHL these days...
if this is indeed the case, it's really gonna be cool as hell playing with my broad street bullies. Wow....this totally went by my radar, and will pay attention to it next time i play the demo.

# 553 18 eighty 5 @ 09/08/09 11:17 AM
Nup, I am noticing that my cpu team mates refuse to clear the crease of any opposition ai lurking there.

The cpu ai heads to the net and my ai defender lets him take it!

Just had another goal scored against me as I noticed the cpu ai attacker head to the net, I tried to scroll through my players to get to the defender who was right on him and I couldn't scroll to the defender...the cpu puts a pass in and bang he scores. My defender just sat there...again.

This has not changed because I am seeing it with my own eyes again and again! Very frustrating because the cpu is exploiting the cross crease one timer and unless I have control of my defense I am powerless.

# 554 onlybygrace @ 09/08/09 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Robot
Nup, I am noticing that my cpu team mates refuse to clear the crease of any opposition ai lurking there.

The cpu ai heads to the net and my ai defender lets him take it!

Just had another goal scored against me as I noticed the cpu ai attacker head to the net, I tried to scroll through my players to get to the defender who was right on him and I couldn't scroll to the defender...the cpu puts a pass in and bang he scores. My defender just sat there...again.

This has not changed because I am seeing it with my own eyes again and again! Very frustrating because the cpu is exploiting the cross crease one timer and unless I have control of my defense I am powerless.
Too bad, So Sad.

Play better D...and learn to be responsible for the front of your net...its ultimately up to you.

# 555 Vikes1 @ 09/08/09 04:10 PM
Quote:

Yep, I've seen this a number of times as well.

Where the cpu will camp a player at the corner of your net. I can't really remember if I've had trouble being able to switch to the closest of my AI defenders. I'll have to check that out next time I play.

# 556 bad_philanthropy @ 09/08/09 04:39 PM
Quote:
Yeah the backing up is pretty much what I meant about neutral zone pressure, and thats really along with the lack of cpu dump and chase my big worries as well.

To get back on topic has anyone else noticed that if you are able to put a few solid checks on the cpu in the demo that they tend to get a bit more sloppy with their decision making? Ringing it around the boards for inaccurate passes trying to avoid the forecheck and in general it leading to more turnovers by the cpu in their own end? Or am I just seeing things.
If the teams have individual playing styles than neither the Wings or Pens are great examples of dump and chase teams, especially Detroit, they pretty much define that puck possession style of play.

I know I've had the Pens third line dump it in on me a decent amount, even Crosby's line a couple times. Detroit though will hang on to the puck at all costs, don't think I've seen them dump it in once.

# 557 ezio @ 09/08/09 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
If the teams have individual playing styles than neither the Wings or Pens are great examples of dump and chase teams, especially Detroit, they pretty much define that puck possession style of play.

I know I've had the Pens third line dump it in on me a decent amount, even Crosby's line a couple times. Detroit though will hang on to the puck at all costs, don't think I've seen them dump it in once.

I believe Realm was referring to 2k10 in his post but I could be wrong.

# 558 18 eighty 5 @ 09/08/09 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Too bad, So Sad.

Play better D...and learn to be responsible for the front of your net...its ultimately up to you.
It is only by grace that I will allow this one to slip...see what I did there ...ok, ok it was lame

# 559 18 eighty 5 @ 09/08/09 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1

Where the cpu will camp a player at the corner of your net. I can't really remember if I've had trouble being able to switch to the closest of my AI defenders. I'll have to check that out next time I play.
The problem with scrolling occurs, I think, because it tries to give you control of players that are closest to the puck.

The problem that broke out for me was that the cpu had the puck high above the right face off dot and was wheeling around to face the net. I could see what it was going to do because I could see its team mate waiting right on the side of my own net.

I tried to scroll to the defender guarding the net (right next to the cpu forward) but when I scrolled it flipped between 3 of my guys who were closest to the puck carrier, when he decided to wire the pass it moved so fast that I just couldn't make the adjustments and in the speed of a one timer it was all said and done.

It was kind of like my defender was drafted from a gentleman's league where his gentle disposition equipped him with fine manners. I could imagine my defender saying 'hello old man, lovely day for some sandwhiches isn't it? Oh, you want to take it to my goalie, good show. I do say the blades on your skates are most fetching', and the guy he was defending was that big black bearded thug from the movie Youngblood (the one who gives Patrick Swayze a severe concussion) and after he scores he turns to my gentleman defender and blows a kiss through smahed teeth and then spits on my guys jersey.

After this happened I deliberately took control of my forwards on defense and kept handing the puck back to the cpu to see how often my ai defense would allow the cpu to have the crease. My ai defenders sometimes hit and shoved the cpu and other times they just stayed back.

It seemed kind of random when they defended and helped the goalie and when they sat back. I don't think it has anything to do with the player tendencies of the particular defender...say Kronwall as opposed to Lidstrom...I dunno it just seemed a bit random when a defender aggressively and pro actively engaged the opposition or whether they were oblivious to the cpu presence.

Also, there was no effort from my ai defender to try and block the pass comming in for the one timer, but the cpu defense does this well.

# 560 TeamLogo @ 09/08/09 08:27 PM
Quote:
It was kind of like my defender was drafted from a gentleman's league where his gentle disposition equipped him with fine manners. I could imagine my defender saying 'hello old man, lovely day for some sandwhiches isn't it? Oh, you want to take it to my goalie, good show. I do say the blades on your skates are most fetching', and the guy he was defending was that big black bearded thug from the movie Youngblood (the one who gives Patrick Swayze a severe concussion) and after he scores he turns to my gentleman defender and blows a kiss through smahed teeth and then spits on my guys jersey.
Sounds exactly how my defensemen play on Superstar. They're back there rolling out the red carpet while I'd get mauled in the slot in the other end. I can't do everything.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.