Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

Gamespot has posted an NBA Live 10 article, they have titled, Changing the Game.

Quote:
"Player ratings are always a hot topic in sports games. Whether it's arguing about the relative ratings of Michael Vick and Brett Favre as they return to Madden NFL 10, or discussing where you think Florida quarterback Tim Tebow should be rated in this year's NCAA Football 10, it's a constant back-and-forth, one that is reflected in sports games via frequent roster updates. But, like so much else in sports, there's an element of bias in player ratings that is sometimes difficult to reconcile with the facts. In some cases the bias is overt--as might be the case in the Vick or Favre debates, where fan controversy stokes the fires. But even in situations where player performance and statistics drives the ratings decisions--as is the case with the sports game developers at companies like EA Sports and 2K Sports who assign the ratings to players--the simple fact of the matter is that, at its core, an attribute rating is often a judgment call.

That is set to change, and NBA Live is leading the way. That's because more and more of the player data in NBA Live is being driven directly by the so-called Dynamic DNA system, which was introduced in 2008's NBA Live 09. Dynamic DNA takes the metric ton of data recorded by the Synergy scouting service (who partners with EA Sports in this feature) and feeds it directly into Live. As a result, if you're playing Live, you have a direct feed as to what is happening with every player and every team in the NBA, thanks to the daily downloads available in the game."

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Bornindamecca @ 08/21/09 07:49 PM
Odom and Bynum's faces are amazing in that photo.

# 22 Kully @ 08/21/09 08:25 PM
Gotta eat my words from before. Those are some good faces there.

# 23 marcoyk @ 08/23/09 01:14 PM
That ratings talk has got me hyped. Looking forward to the game.

# 24 blues rocker @ 08/23/09 05:25 PM
Hey Beluba...The new "direct pass receiver control" sounds like Live's version of 2k's "icon lead passing"....is this correct? I asked you if Live would incorporate something like icon lead passing..you told me that you might - is this "receiver control" what you were referring to. It seems quite similar in its function.

I have some concerns about this receiver control however. When you hold down the left trigger and then hold down the receiver's icon button, is there a delay before you actually have control of the receiver, or does the receiver control kick in instantly?

I'm also not clear on how freestyle passing works. do you actually click down and hold on the left stick to activate it, then you use the right stick to pass? is this correct?

If you use the right stick to pass, how exactly does it work? Like if you have a teammate on your right that you want to pass to, you flick the right stick to the right and it will pass to him? i can see this being problematic if multiple teammates are bunched together and you want to pass to one of them - the game might not recognize which teammate you want to pass to and it may result in the pass going to the wrong player.

# 25 Beluba @ 08/23/09 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
Hey Beluba...The new "direct pass receiver control" sounds like Live's version of 2k's "icon lead passing"....is this correct? I asked you if Live would incorporate something like icon lead passing..you told me that you might - is this "receiver control" what you were referring to. It seems quite similar in its function.

I have some concerns about this receiver control however. When you hold down the left trigger and then hold down the receiver's icon button, is there a delay before you actually have control of the receiver, or does the receiver control kick in instantly?

I'm also not clear on how freestyle passing works. do you actually click down and hold on the left stick to activate it, then you use the right stick to pass? is this correct?

If you use the right stick to pass, how exactly does it work? Like if you have a teammate on your right that you want to pass to, you flick the right stick to the right and it will pass to him? i can see this being problematic if multiple teammates are bunched together and you want to pass to one of them - the game might not recognize which teammate you want to pass to and it may result in the pass going to the wrong player.
It's similar to icon lead passing in 2k but 100 times better. It's one of my favorite new mechanics in Live as it gives you complete control over your receivers and is incredibly easy to do. and no, you have control right away. There's no delay.

Regarding freestyle passing, there was a typo in the gamespot preview, it works by holding the icon pass button (LT or L2 ps3) not left stick. So basically when you're holding down direct pass, you're in passing mode and your right stick becomes a pass stick. It's like robotron, the direction you move your right stick is the direction of the pass.

# 26 RayAllen20 @ 08/23/09 11:34 PM
Man NBA videogames are just awesome. Competition you can tell if forcing the Live and 2k devs to put so much effort into their games. Hopefully Madden and the Baseball games can take some notes.

Anyways, Beluba if Im playing a game will I be able to have great passes? Not one video game has ever had good passes in a game. I feel like this could be the first. For example will I be able to throw a bullet between two defenders to find one of my teammates going backdoor for a dunk? Would make me send my money too you right now. Also any flashy passes like behind the back or no-looks? Not too big of a deal but would be sweet.

# 27 Beluba @ 08/24/09 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Man NBA videogames are just awesome. Competition you can tell if forcing the Live and 2k devs to put so much effort into their games. Hopefully Madden and the Baseball games can take some notes.

Anyways, Beluba if Im playing a game will I be able to have great passes? Not one video game has ever had good passes in a game. I feel like this could be the first. For example will I be able to throw a bullet between two defenders to find one of my teammates going backdoor for a dunk? Would make me send my money too you right now. Also any flashy passes like behind the back or no-looks? Not too big of a deal but would be sweet.
there's no shortage of highlight passes in this year's game. That was actually the original intention of the freestyle pass feature. At one point every pass was a behind the back or no look. The actual mechanic just felt so good that we opted to turn it into an all encompassing passing stick. But regardless, freestyle passing is still the best way to get a flashy assist.

Maybe the biggest improvement to the passing game though is the offball movement of your teammates. They move with a much greater sense of purpose and do a better job at capitalizing on cutting to open spots. It really opens up the floor and makes for much more interesting basketball.

# 28 Jamin23 @ 08/24/09 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
there's no shortage of highlight passes in this year's game. That was actually the original intention of the freestyle pass feature. At one point every pass was a behind the back or no look. The actual mechanic just felt so good that we opted to turn it into an all encompassing passing stick. But regardless, freestyle passing is still the best way to get a flashy assist.

Maybe the biggest improvement to the passing game though is the offball movement of your teammates. They move with a much greater sense of purpose and do a better job at capitalizing on cutting to open spots. It really opens up the floor and makes for much more interesting basketball.
That sounds pretty cool.

# 29 23 @ 08/24/09 01:32 AM
Quote:

You sound really ecxited about the passing...Does it work correctly in context to big men... like being a good passer but not super flasy...ie Shaq

# 30 Beluba @ 08/24/09 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You sound really ecxited about the passing...Does it work correctly in context to big men... like being a good passer but not super flasy...ie Shaq
Yes. The bigman pass assets are contextually correct.

# 31 rockchisler @ 08/24/09 01:41 AM
One thing I do have to mention is that I love that the big men lose the ball in the paint if they dribble to much..

# 32 23 @ 08/24/09 01:43 AM
Quote:
Yes. The bigman pass assets are contextually correct.
That's good to hear... should make for some interesting sets from the post

# 33 SageInfinite @ 08/24/09 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
That's good to hear... should make for some interesting sets from the post
I hope Big Shaq Diesel can throw at least 1 no look.

# 34 23 @ 08/24/09 01:50 AM
Him and LeBron!

# 35 SageInfinite @ 08/24/09 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Him and LeBron!
I this might be the 1st year in Live I try out every team.

# 36 23 @ 08/24/09 02:00 AM
Even the Bucks?

# 37 Jamin23 @ 08/24/09 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I this might be the 1st year in Live I try out every team.
You have to play with every team to see the atmosphere of each arena.

# 38 RayDog253 @ 08/24/09 08:43 AM
Okay, so freestyle passing is activated with LT not left stick, that makes a lot more sense and puts my worries to rest. I can't wait to "flick" some nice passes around the court.
Thanks for clearing that up Beluba.

# 39 NoTiCe_O @ 08/24/09 09:18 AM
Aww man, just imagine a 3 on 1 fast break your leading the break with a good PG, and you jus hit off the dude on the left with the Freestyle Passing for the no look, walk away pass faking to the the right for an easy dunk. Now that's real ball.

# 40 23bluesman @ 08/24/09 10:32 AM
Quote:

Great to hear man!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.