Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Hey guys -

We're back in full force now after our wind-down, and we've been working on a "FAQ" blog to put out. Posting on forums and answering questions directly on Twitter just hasn't been widespread enough (since we keep getting the same questions asked), so this seemed like the best logical idea.

I've definitely been trying to read everything from the community, but I figured I'd open it up to make sure we gather all the most important questions in one place. We'll close this up by the weekend and try to have the blog out next week.

ONE REQUEST: NO DISCUSSION - JUST QUESTIONS.

To get the big one out of the way:

"When is the first title update coming out, and what is in it?"

The first patch is done on our end and in the hands of 3rd party for approvals, so I *think* we'll be able to release all the details about what's in the 1st title update in the official FAQ blog.

So...fire away!

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Blkcanes @ 09/02/09 04:54 PM
Is their anyway I can find out what each rating does for that respective position. We have not been told this and I'm having trouble seeing it on the field during game play. example Pass blocking footwork for a tackle what does that do?

# 122 Cunning_Fox @ 09/02/09 04:56 PM
Sliders for USER vs USER offline doesnt seem to be working...

WR catching doesnt work for user vs user games (wr never drop passes unless they are hit by defense)

QB accuracy slider has no effect as well (all the qb play the same is human vs human games)

However, if you play against the computer plays the way it should based on the sliders that are set. (if I have the slders for wr catching set at zero, the wr drops everything, if the accuracy is set to zero the qb, regardless of who it is will throw inaccurate passes but again this is only for human vs cpu)

Can you look into that and get that fixed?

# 123 skudplayr @ 09/02/09 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Oh yeah, i forgot the holding on FG/PAT....Fix that as well if possible.

My biggest isses still are with:

1-WIDE OPEN flats 98% of the time.
2-GOD AWFUL simulation logic for games...
3-OFF the charts aggressivness of every down by the AI...Blitz-happy as hell and really no way to "fix" it.

Fix those, and i as well as others will just live with the other issues. Those 3 things are, IMHO, the only REAL big issues. The OL stinks, but i think that is a MUCH bigger programming issue, which goes way beyond anything a patch could do.
Zing. You nailed all three of the main issues I have (with the exception of the OL, but like you said, it's not possible to patch). Fix those, and Madden 10 will be golden.

# 124 DXZeke @ 09/02/09 05:22 PM
Online Coop

Is there a way that you can allow for the option of using the standard gameplay camera instead of the player lock camera that's in place now?

The current camera makes it extremely hard to play defense. Once the CPU gets around the corner or a pass to the outside it becomes nearly impossible to track the CPU. And to add that trying to make pre-play defensive calls is tough since you can't see everyone that's lined up (especially if you are playing a DL or MLB position).

# 125 Phobia @ 09/02/09 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsilverhammer67
I gotta question for EA.. Why is it that a game thats 5 years old on a last gen platform animates and plays better then your game?

Oh and a follow up question for EA.. How much money do you pay reviewers to score this game so high year after year?
Childish. Go to jail, straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 hundred dollars

# 126 blocknose @ 09/02/09 05:27 PM
1. why does the computer pick an engage 8 on every 3rd down it makes the passing game so easy all you have to do is hike the ball and throw it to the TE nobody covers him.
2. why does the computer pick all streaks so much on offense every time they do my coverage blankets the WRs and the QB just stands there watching until he gets sacked
3. Computer QB has no brains they thow into triple coverage on screens and curl routes that have no chance in hell of being completed. the only way to compensate is to turn INT slider below 20 (this happens with the best and worst QBs)
4. every time somebody throws an INT it shows a cut scene of the coach yelling at the O-Line
5. why no wildcat for Minnesota this takes away from having Percy Harvin
will any of this be fixed?

# 127 Phobia @ 09/02/09 05:31 PM
Questions

1) Can scrimmages be included in ONLINE FRANCHISE? I know our teams change because of trades and FA moves and such and there is no way of practicing with that team.

2) Can Speed options for Unranked and Online Franchise be included as a patch??

3) Can the zone depth be fixed? The current state has just about all zones playing at a depth which is to deep. Which then in turn makes flats, drags, slants etc to effective even with the correct defensive call.

# 128 JJ Sticks @ 09/02/09 05:39 PM
What are your plans for speed options in online play?

What are your plans for addressing the PA QB Draw glitch?

# 129 Awesome-wah @ 09/02/09 05:51 PM
Can we expect fixes in the AI or are those not feasible in the near future?

If we can, then will you fix the fact that LBs cover HBs 10 yards down field in man defense?

Will zone defenses be shortened? The middle is much too deep right now. Drags are easy completions.

Can we expect OL changes? Guards tend to completely miss assignments a lot of times.

Is online franchise set for the year or can we expect changes to it and the website?

Thank you.

# 130 TeamBuilder @ 09/02/09 05:55 PM
Will the Wildcat passing plays be patched so the QB can actually scramble? Right now whenever you call a passing play from the Wildcat the QB can only shuffle in the pocket.

# 131 TeamBuilder @ 09/02/09 05:59 PM
Will the QB freaking out and throwing quickly whenever there is a blitz or man coverage be patched?

# 132 stiffarmleft @ 09/02/09 06:02 PM
3 questions, I play solely offline franchise, I know some of my questions have already been asked in some form or another but hopefully the squeakiest wheels get fixed.

1- Where is the individuality in CPU defensive play calling, all the teams play alike, they blitz way too much which lead to 90% of my completions and/or touchdowns. I thought that teams where supposed to play like their real life counterparts. Have the coaching tendencies been touched by the dev team at all on the defensive side of the ball.

2- Why does the computer never take the sack, I don't care about them completing the passes what bothers me most is the crazy amount of pick sixes I'm getting, I have the interception slider at 0 or should it be at 100? I was losing to the Giants by 14 in the 4th quarter and Manning threw two pick sixes because he was under pressure, I won the game because of this. With a 14 point lead in the 4th they should be pounding the ball with Jacobs, who was running me over all game long. The situational awareness seems off and again the Giants would probably not be passing with a lead in the 4th.

3- Why does the defense come out in a base formation when there are 4 and 5 receivers on the field. The AI at times cares more about down and distance than the actual personnel on the field. I have yet to find any individual money plays but the defensive AI has made every play potentially money.

# 133 AlphaTrojan @ 09/02/09 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Will the Wildcat passing plays be patched so the QB can actually scramble? Right now whenever you call a passing play from the Wildcat the QB can only shuffle in the pocket.
This will not be patched. It was a design decision by EA to off-set CHEEZE.
They can at least patch so that in offline franchise people can enjoy the wildcat.

# 134 akapella @ 09/02/09 06:13 PM
whats up with pancake stats.My good Ol's performs pancakes but
it doesnt show on stats .

# 135 adun_79 @ 09/02/09 06:14 PM
Will we have accelerated clock after the two minue warnig in each half? If not, why?

# 136 goldmouf99 @ 09/02/09 06:14 PM
Are ya'll going to patch the "elite" leaderboard glitch everytime you get a disconnected ur record starts over or they give u a fake record but ur record stays correct on the leaderboard until u play another game, my record has been started over three times i was 14-2 and i got a disconnect then my record was 5-4. It dont make any sense for us to pay for the elite status and they cant keep up with the records or stats

# 137 thdudeabides @ 09/02/09 06:15 PM
Thanks for the update, and your continued involvement at OS.

# 138 TeamBuilder @ 09/02/09 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTrojan
They can at least patch so that in offline franchise people can enjoy the wildcat.
EXACTLY

# 139 King Gro23 @ 09/02/09 06:28 PM
**Four big factors**
- Franchise Stats (Mainly Lower QB Stat/ Inflated TD Numbers)
- Broken Tackles, I think there are way too many Broken tackles (even with Break tackle sliders even on "0") They need to be lowered dramatically
- Crossing & underneath routes need to be addressed,
- Poor Play Calling too many passes inside goal situations. (Stronger Adaptive AI) Use The Entire Playbook more for both Defense & offense
Will these be fixed?

# 140 Mofficial @ 09/02/09 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
What's wrong my fellow Tennesseean?

This thread is perfect for what I need. A one stop shop for the top questions. I'll answer them in a blog that we release next week.
My question is are these problems even patchable? I really don't want to wait for your blog to say that you can't fix the big issues like flats and qbs not taking sacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
When did / does working on M10 patchable items stop, so that focus can start on M11?

What plans are in place to fix outstanding issues with M10 that carried over from M09, to ensure they dont get into M11?

Finally, I would just like your thoughts.

To some M10 did not live up to what you build it up to be with your posts, blogs and tweets. Much of that is derived from core gameplay issues from prior Maddens appear re-appear frequently in M10. What would you say to those people who have a hard time dealing with that?*

*Please dont tell me you dont see or think the issues exist. Humor me in the fact some people do and those issues impact the progress your team tried to make.
I would like to know this as well. While I don't agree with the reviewer or the score on Gamespot, their initial premise was correct. It is a great game but the legacy issues have taken away from its fun factor and its own success.

Also, from what I've seen from playbooks, the Wildcat isn't nearly as thorough as I'd like it to be. And I haven't been able to put Vick as the initial receiver of the snap for the Eagles' playbook. Can you remedy this? Can you make playbooks fuller and with more plays?

Also, I am a hardcore, diehard Madden fan (sometimes I wonder why but w/e). My thing is this though, what is up with the playbooks? The game gets so dull because I'm just running the same plays again and again and again ACROSS PLAYBOOKS! SD's 3-4 playbook is no different (except with a few formations) than Dallas's or any other 3-4 playbook.

Also, why provide the type of DLC that you guys did? Why not just put them in the game? Or with things like asking for a player to not retire; why does that cost money? Why can't it just be free DLC?
Why can't you constantly upgrade the game?

If I were the Lead Designer I'd take a note from Burnout (AN EA GAME) and continue to upgrade the game. I know you have to create the game over again every year but honestly, I'd like it if EA Sports just steps up to that plate. It seems like you (personally you, Ian) have the potential to.

Why can't things like playbook creator be DLC? For free? or a new stadium creator mode? or Superstar mode?
Why can't we have these kinds of DLC?
Why, instead of allowing us to purchase DLC that changes the potential of a rookie or player, we can't just sign a good coach that'll do it for us in franchise?
Why, in franchise mode, can we only get one trainer for one position?
Like I got a trainer to help my young NTs (3-4 Chargers). But that means I can't get a trainer for injuries and such. Why is it that most trainers that help with stamina and injuries only help out one position?
What sense does that make?
Why can't I see the ratings and philosophies of the Coaches in the Off-Season?
All I can see is their bonuses. But I can't see anything else. Why is it that if my player makes it to the Pro-Bowl, those corresponding ratings don't increase to a Pro-Bowl level? Why is it just based on Potential?
Why can't older players Progress? LT's ratings were decreased this year because he had an off-year last year and I respect that. But if I run for 1700 yards and record 15 TDs (Which I did in my first year of franchise) he doesn't return to the 97+ he once was? (That question might not make sense since he's old, but what if he still has 3 or 4 years left in him?) I mean, Brett Favre was only 10 years pro in Madden, once he hit 13 years, he would've began decreasing. That dude was in his 19th year or so when you guys gave him a 94 rating (Madden 09). It's gone up and down.

...Why does All-Madden Cheat?
How do sliders affect ratings?
Why is it that we just can't have a level that let's the ratings play like they are?
Why is it that All-Madden can't just adapt to your play-calling and try to outsmart you than cheat you with rating adjustments in-game?
What does the Coaching ratings do?
Why did you choose to study 2k5 instead of countless real-life NFL games? (That's probably what 2k did)
Why do you guys try to cater to casual gamers when they don't even know any better about football and gaming?
Why can't all of the cheating and cheesing and such only be available on rookie and pro modes?
I've said countless times it is ALL-MADDEN that should be the closest thing to real life football in Madden. You should just have to use superior football knowledge and stick-skills to play and win on All-Madden. On All-Pro it should play like all-madden but with a dumbed down AI and playcalling. And so on and so forth with the other levels. Is this possible?

*Will my questions be answered or ignored like my other ones?* If not in a blog, can you address me in a PM? If you're not going to respond to these questions can you at least let me know that?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.