Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Hey guys -

We're back in full force now after our wind-down, and we've been working on a "FAQ" blog to put out. Posting on forums and answering questions directly on Twitter just hasn't been widespread enough (since we keep getting the same questions asked), so this seemed like the best logical idea.

I've definitely been trying to read everything from the community, but I figured I'd open it up to make sure we gather all the most important questions in one place. We'll close this up by the weekend and try to have the blog out next week.

ONE REQUEST: NO DISCUSSION - JUST QUESTIONS.

To get the big one out of the way:

"When is the first title update coming out, and what is in it?"

The first patch is done on our end and in the hands of 3rd party for approvals, so I *think* we'll be able to release all the details about what's in the 1st title update in the official FAQ blog.

So...fire away!

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 CTD EDMUNDO @ 09/02/09 09:11 PM
Can yall put import draft class on online franchise and make the computer stop missing so many easy field goals and have offset penalties

# 162 hollywood21 @ 09/02/09 09:12 PM
Can the deep ball be tweaked a little?

Maybe unlocking the spectacular catch animation on all difficulties might help. Throwing the ball in the redzone or attempting a fade route is a no no so far.

# 163 SGMRock @ 09/02/09 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
Here is my list of questions:

-Will some of the animations that look weird and play out in the wrong situations be fixed? (e.g. the over the shoulder catch happening WAY too frequently).

-Will DBs cutting on routes at the EXACT same time as the receivers (sometimes they even cut before the receivers do) be fixed?

-Will DBs in perfect position to make plays yet just stand there and do nothing even when you mash on the swat button be fixed? For those that call this a minor annoyance, I will ask: Would it be OK if the same thing happened to your QB when trying to throw the ball?

-Will CPU LBs and DTs that drop back in coverage and stand there and watch balls literally sail right over their heads to receivers standing directly behind them be fixed?

-What happened to custom stadium sounds like the Lions siren that plays when they score a touchdown, or the lion roar that happens on first downs? It was in the game last year (and the year before that) if I remember correctly.

-I have had three games now where the first play of the game the CPU RB breaks out of a 4-6 man Pro-Tack "scrum" and runs for a 65+ yard touchdown. Can this be toned down?

-Will receivers having no sense of the sidelines at all be fixed?

-Will suction blocking be fixed?

-Speed often times seems to be more important than route running for WRs, will this be fixed/adjusted?

-WRs don't go and get or battle for the ball enough. They are just content to do the good ole' "right in the bread basket" catch, which is totally useless in most situations. Will this be fixed?

-Still can't get pressure on the QB, and even if you do get to the QB, the CPU refuses to take sacks and always "magically" finds an open receiver just before getting hit. Will this be fixed?

-Will the terrible pursuit angles taken by the CPU defenders be fixed?

-Will the excessive trucking by backs and wide receivers who shouldn't be trucking be fixed?

-Will physics on batted passes be fixed? The ball should be going straight to the ground in most instances, not bouncing off guys leg or bodies and then magically floating in the air for the safety or LB to intercept.

-Zone coverage is broken altogether, and safties in zone don't always break their coverage assignment and come to make a tackle when the offense calls a run play. Will this be fixed?

-Will pass rushers with a clear shot at the QB inexplicably changing directions and delaying sacking the QB be fixed?

-As mentioned numerous times, passing to the flats is way too easy, as is beating the CPU when they blitz. Almost every time the CPU blitzes there is a man wide open that can gain HUGE amounts of yards if not a touchdown. Will this be fixed?

-Will seeing more variety in penalty calls be fixed? (e.g. Defensive Holding, Pass interference, etc...)

-CPU quick snap is still alive and well and is flat out terrible on Field Goal attempts, will this be fixed?

-DB and WR jostling is barely present, will this be fixed?

-Adaptive AI isn't working properly, will this be fixed?

-Wide receivers in the run and return game (especially on breakaway runs) turn and block the wrong guy, allowing defenders to make plays on you that they shouldn't have been able to. Will this be fixed?

-Will Lower rated DTs coming off their blocks too easily and making plays on runs up the middle be fixed?

-On kick returns there are still blockers that sometimes run all the way downfield past the defenders and towards the end zone (all the while blocking not one soul), will this be fixed?

-Toss and sweep plays still get blown up way too much for lost yardage. Ditto for screen plays (there always seems to be a DT that is standing right next to my RB, even if that's the first time I called that play). Will this be fixed?

-CPU still punts the ball through the end zone instead of trying to pin me deep, will this be fixed?

-WRs on some plays (curl routes especially) just stand there frozen solid after running their route, most times even after the play breaks down. Will this be fixed?

-Weight, momentum and physics seem to mean absolutely NOTHING. There are certain animations where a guy is on his way to the ground, only to magically pop back up and truck someone for extra yards. Will this be fixed?

-There are still way too many missed blocks/people blocking the wrong guy in the run game. Will the run blocking AI/Logic be fixed?

-Will DBs and WRs warping forward a few yards to catch/intercept passes be fixed?

-Fields don't degrade enough, or at least some (like Heinz Field) should degrade a lot more than others. Will this be fixed? (It was patched before in the past).

Totally agree with this post.

A couple things I would like to see in FAQ are a total description of player ratings what all the catagories mean exactly in game terms and how they work in the game. Also a total discription of sliders and what each custom slider effects (everything it effects)

The sack thing is just nuts, i'm so fed up with the CPU QB tossing the ball out at the last second. I mean no NFL QB is going to do that everytime he has a DE or LB on top of him unless he wants to lose his job very fast.

Blocking AI very bad, many times the blockers will just ignore or run away from their blocks. I mean its cool to miss a block that happens. But if you guy is right in front if you then you just turn 90 degrees and run across the field leaving your RB behind you to die that is just silly. (I know they tried to fix the same issue in NCAA 2010)

When a play of overturned like a long gain or a TD or something like that, the wrong team is shown chearing. Example, Denver gets fumble on me and I was down already so I challenge it and win the challenge but then it shows the Denver players cheering? I guess they are happy for me that I got my ball back?

# 164 Sweed @ 09/02/09 09:26 PM
Why don't you take advantage of HD tv's and display more than four or five columns of information on stat and player rating screens? For comparison check out NBA 2k, they show ~12 columns of stats\ ratings. I assume 2k uses side scrolling for standard def and full

Madden is a rating driven, stat intensive game and it gets frustrating having to always scroll to find\compare information that should be visible on one screen.

# 165 varo @ 09/02/09 09:27 PM
1) is there anyway to fix the blocking ai without starting from scratch, it seems to only be a issue on plays where the blockers are in space, such as stretch and sweeps. but there should be no reason a pulling guard or lead blocker should ignore the edge player and run back inside to block someone.

2) it seems like the "5 yard" bump rule applies to all-pro as db's in press coverage press all the way down the field.

other than those 2 issues i am really, really enjoying this game.

# 166 gabs485 @ 09/02/09 09:30 PM
Are you going to add Stadium Specific Stadiums like you promise?
Are you going to fix Sim Stats in Franchise mode?
Are you going to fix WR catching animations?
Are you going to fix the running animation?

# 167 parrothead @ 09/02/09 09:32 PM
Why are many 3-4 coaches assigned the 4-3 defense under Coaching Philosophies? Can this be patched? Is there some available resource to find out exactly what the Coaching Philosophy sliders do? I'm assuming they weren't all meant to be set at the exact same thing.

# 168 Mofficial @ 09/02/09 09:51 PM
After reading a thread on zone coverages and thinking about it a little, Madden seems to lack a lot of fundamentals of football.
And since this probably won't be effective or even possible in a patch, for m11 can you speak with coaches and players on the purpose of each and every position, assignment, and formation? and then try to implement it properly? Wasn't it your mantra that a NFL Coach could be very good at the game or something to that effect?

This is what All-Madden should be IMO. It should be the ultimate chess match that plays true to the players' attributes.
Can you ask coaches what down/position/situation players should play in accordance to their ratings?
Can you explain to us what each rating does in-game? And how players act on those specific ratings? Like what would a CB do if his zcv/mcv was a 30 compared to a 50 compared to a 70 compared to a 90?

# 169 SGMRock @ 09/02/09 09:52 PM
Will there be any adjustments to the coaching sliders? For instance many teams constantly blitz and give up big plays. I mean a lot of teams blitz a lot but not wholesale blitzs, they might send 1 extra or 2 extra guys but not 7 or 8 20 times in a game.

Also not sure if this is related to the coaching sliders as well but many times the AI defense does not put out the right personel based on the plays called. If I call a 4 WR 1 RB set they come out with a 3-4 and try and match up LB's to my WR's. Then they blitz on top of that. :P

# 170 billharris44 @ 09/02/09 10:10 PM
Ian,
I have two questions for you. Thanks.
1. Will the awareness of CPU offensive players of the sideline be improved? Right now, offensive players seem to be more than willing to go out of bounds in situations where they should be trying to get extra yards. Outside blockers also routinely seem to go out of bounds on kickoffs.
2. Will there be any adjustment made to the logic of the team ahead in regards to the end of game and two minute drill? Specific examples of errors are below:
--teams ahead by 7+ points with <5 minutes to play in the 4th quarter not running the play clock down.
--:30 left in game. Team ahead has has the ball and a first down. Defense has one time out. Team runs a running play instead of QB kneel.
--teams head in last five minutes are not running down the clock until they get below 2 minutes.
--teams ahead in the first half seem very passive about trying to agressively most the ball into scoring territory.
--the hurry-up speed to the line of scrimmage seems to be above real by 2-3 seconds per play. It should be slowed down a bit to be more realistic.

I have a log of specific incidents in terms of two-minute logic that is available for your review if you are interested.

# 171 Dianwei32 @ 09/02/09 10:23 PM
Will WR ever be able to block CBs again? I know that WRs don't have blocking skills on par with the OL, but the CB is able to break the WRs block before the HB can even get the handoff 99% of the time.

# 172 nyisles16 @ 09/02/09 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeazy
For Osh Kosh ba Josh Looman, can we get a roster update for Head Coach 09? Will pay real money
Discussion is about Madden.. not Head Coach

# 173 speels @ 09/02/09 11:10 PM
Hi Ian,

I just have a couple of questions.

1. Why do you ask for posters at OS for questions when you know that it will just turn into a hatefest?

2. For Madden11, when I buy that game, will I be able to have complete control of Peyton Manning and make him drive to the stadium and get dressed and then go out on the field and play? Will the other players on the Colts act like human beings, because I'm kind of tired of them acting like they are programmed. Can I have the real Reggie Wayne on another PS3 playing himself on Madden just like he would play football in real life. Seems to be the only thing that would make many people happy.

3. Seriously though, do you ever think about not releasing Madden one year just to give yourselves a chance to make the game the way you want it. There is a lot of answers that seem to incorporate the phrase"we didn't have time to get that in the game, but next year" Would it be feasible to skip one year?

I think Madden10 is very good and haven't enjoyed a football game like this for a while.
Thanks

# 174 jonesha2000 @ 09/02/09 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
Hi Ian,

I just have a couple of questions.

1. Why do you ask for posters at OS for questions when you know that it will just turn into a hatefest?

2. For Madden11, when I buy that game, will I be able to have complete control of Peyton Manning and make him drive to the stadium and get dressed and then go out on the field and play? Will the other players on the Colts act like human beings, because I'm kind of tired of them acting like they are programmed. Can I have the real Reggie Wayne on another PS3 playing himself on Madden just like he would play football in real life. Seems to be the only thing that would make many people happy.

3. Seriously though, do you ever think about not releasing Madden one year just to give yourselves a chance to make the game the way you want it. There is a lot of answers that seem to incorporate the phrase"we didn't have time to get that in the game, but next year" Would it be feasible to skip one year?

I think Madden10 is very good and haven't enjoyed a football game like this for a while.
Thanks

The first part of question 2 was hilarious.....and #3 would seriously start a riot and shouldn't be considered.

# 175 parrothead @ 09/02/09 11:16 PM
I'm not sure, but do teams really use 2 RB's without fatigue being a factor? I haven't seen it. You know just subbing in a different RB due to the situation, or field position. If not, can this be added?

# 176 TreyIM2 @ 09/02/09 11:16 PM
Ian

Can you explain your crab dribble-dribble?

Umm, I will leave the questions to the others. U may remember my blog to you and/or the the same info I posted on the feedback site. I have more to add but will get to that later. I wanna grab some oatmeal and get in a game of Madden 10 before I take it down for the night. Peaz...

# 177 Bootzilla @ 09/02/09 11:30 PM
Haven't read through the entire thread but, a couple things.

Have you looked into the WR over the (wrong) shoulder catch animation? Corner routes and out routes look pretty bad when this animation fires unnecessarily.

Will the receiver make a play on the deep ball or will they go into aforementioned over-the-shoulder animation and hope the ball falls into their laps?

Have you looked at a way to get more sacks from OLB's in 3-4 schemes. They may need to be automatically put in the game as DE's in dime packages to have them on the field in passing situations.

Will there be any momentum to RB's? Now it seems they either go into "fight for every yard mode" or they stop dead in their tracks and meekly fall down. No wiggle, no forward lean, nothin.

# 178 booker21 @ 09/02/09 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
I'm not sure, but do teams really use 2 RB's without fatigue being a factor? I haven't seen it. You know just subbing in a different RB due to the situation, or field position. If not, can this be added?
no, they don`t...

one more thing they need to work with.

# 179 JayD @ 09/02/09 11:39 PM
Franchise Weather really needs to be tuned!!!

# 180 STLRams @ 09/03/09 12:02 AM
Will the lack of instant replays and lack of custom stadium sounds, chants be addressed in the patch?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.