Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Looks like no demo for NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The team has been hard at work rebuilding the NHL 2K franchise from the ground up. Because we’ve poured every resource we have into this game, we made a strategic decision not to release a demo."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jyoung @ 09/02/09 04:24 PM
See here's the thing that 2K doesn't understand:

We all know (based on last year's success and the improvements shown in the demo) that EA's game is going to be good.

However, we don't know anything about 2K10 other than the fact that last year's game sucked.

How can 2K expect people to blindly buy a product that has no established credibility?

Like most of 2K's decisions, this demo thing just doesn't make any sense.

# 22 Money99 @ 09/02/09 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Well there were those default settings IGN vids that didn't paint the game in that great of a light but yeah. Bigs 2? Videos all over, interviews, screenshots, NBA2k10? Combine DLC, screenshots, already shifting gears on marketing it. NHL2k10? We'll have info when the proposal for aquiring said info is tripple formated and has the presidential seal of Obama, oh and no demo, that cost resources, oh and no videos either, here read these blogs and buy it on blind faith.
LOL! So true.
2K is the red-headed stepchild amongst the games obviously.

Like Weeman said, for those that don't follow that closely having a darn good NHL10 demo while 2K has nothing out, isn't going to help sales.

Oh well, it is what it is. Every year I come on here and complain about the lack of marketing. I'm obviously crying over something that will never, ever change.

I just pray the NHL2K series is able to stay alive despite the fact that those in the front offices clearly couldn't care less about it.

# 23 Goffs @ 09/02/09 04:37 PM
Ok no demo but what about some gameplay vids at least...

# 24 jyoung @ 09/02/09 04:40 PM
It's pretty clear that 2K just doesn't want to put any money into their hockey series and is content to ride the success of their baseball/basketball franchises.

But with the way EA and Sony are competing in those sports, it won't be long before 2K starts losing ground with their two biggest cash-cows.

This is not a successful way to run a company, and I don't think it will be long before the NHL games go the way of 2K's football games.

Just because you've got a great-playing game doesn't mean people will automatically buy it in this day and age. All Pro Football 2K8 is still the best-playing football game on a next-gen system, but nobody bought it because nobody knew about the game outside of the hardcore 2K fans.

# 25 CarryTheWeight @ 09/02/09 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
Ok no demo but what about some gameplay vids at least...
2KHockey is supposed to have "sim gameplay footage" sometime this week. Folks on those forums are speculating that "sometime this week" may be tonight, but I'm not expecting that option at all TBH. I'll believe it when I see it.

# 26 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
2KHockey is supposed to have "sim gameplay footage" sometime this week. Folks on those forums are speculating that "sometime this week" may be tonight, but I'm not expecting that option at all TBH. I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm starting to wonder if this will even matter at this point. I've found it quite strange that we've seen no footage other than pre-rendered crap and those terrible IGN vids. Now with this demo news (or lack there of) you've got to wonder if the game will be worthwhile at all.

I mean, if you created a great game or even created a game that was getting a lagging franchise back on it's feet wouldn't you be proud of it? Wouldn't you want to show it off?

# 27 FlyingFinn @ 09/02/09 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I'm starting to wonder if this will even matter at this point. I've found it quite strange that we've seen no footage other than pre-rendered crap and those terrible IGN vids. Now with this demo news (or lack there of) you've got to wonder if the game will be worthwhile at all.

I mean, if you created a great game or even created a game that was getting a lagging franchise back on it's feet wouldn't you be proud of it? Wouldn't you want to show it off?
My sentiments exactly.

# 28 CarryTheWeight @ 09/02/09 05:40 PM
Quote:

Great post adayinthelife...and I think there will be a lot more confusion after the game releases. There may be increasing amounts of doom and gloom, not to mention numerous posts concerning the future of the series (that's IF the game fails commercially).

Is 2K10 truly supposed to be "make or break" for the franchise? Because it's not being sold to us as such. If they were truly desperate they would be showing us, not telling us, of their improvements at every given opportunity.

# 29 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I am pretty sure I will be going to check this game out. So I will see what they have to offer, though I like 2k9 so maybe it will be bias. But I will try to tell the truth.
While I really... really, hated 2k9 any honest info from someone here would be greatly appreciated by everyone I'm sure! The previews sound good, but really when do they ever not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Great post adayinthelife...and I think there will be a lot more confusion after the game releases. There may be increasing amounts of doom and gloom, not to mention numerous posts concerning the future of the series (that's IF the game fails commercially).

Is 2K10 truly supposed to be "make or break" for the franchise? Because it's not being sold to us as such. If they were truly desperate they would be showing us, not telling us, of their improvements at every given opportunity.
That's exactly my point. 2k9 was a low point for the franchise critically, and I assume commercially as well judging by the success of NHL 09. They say they've made every attempt possible to bring the series back so why not prove it? All these claims of "rebuilding from the ground up" are great, honestly, but show us SOMETHING.

Also you'd think just seeing the reaction to the NHL 10 demo it would make them rethink this decision..

# 30 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 05:53 PM
No big deal to me really. I'm going to buy anyway, and I think the excuse they use is valid. I will say this for demo's, thanks to EA releasing theirs, I won't be buying that game this year so it can serve a purpose. Still I'm a die hard 2k fan and I have faith that all of the changes they talked about are "in the game". Demo's can make or break a few sales I believe but there is always renting for those that are on the fence. If 8 dollars or whatever it cost to rent is a big deal then you probably shouldn't even consider spending 60 anyway.

I'm looking forward to a great game this year and have no fear of them folding, or whatever made up things people say here. Before last year, I never down loaded demo's at all and it never stopped me from purchasing a game.

# 31 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
No big deal to me really. I'm going to buy anyway, and I think the excuse they use is valid. I will say this for demo's, thanks to EA releasing theirs, I won't be buying that game this year so it can serve a purpose. Still I'm a die hard 2k fan and I have faith that all of the changes they talked about are "in the game". Demo's can make or break a few sales I believe but there is always renting for those that are on the fence. If 8 dollars or whatever it cost to rent is a big deal then you probably shouldn't even consider spending 60 anyway.

I'm looking forward to a great game this year and have no fear of them folding, or whatever made up things people say here. Before last year, I never down loaded demo's at all and it never stopped me from purchasing a game.
The problem is there really aren't enough diehard 2k guys like yourself to sustain the franchise. They need the fence sitters and the people that have no brand allegiance.. hell, they need to steal some of the EA people while they're at it to be truly successful.

I don't give a **** who makes a game, as long as it's good. By not releasing a demo or showing us anything it's just not selling the game to people like me.

Frankly after the last couple years in this series I'd take a pushed back release date in exchange for a demo.

# 32 savoie2006 @ 09/02/09 06:03 PM
I'm just gonna ride it out. I understand the frustration and all, but all we can do is wait for some gameplay videos(sooner than later hopefully) and the rest of the Insights coming. Then if you are still on the fence, rent the ful version. Those are where the final judgements are made anyways right?

# 33 CarryTheWeight @ 09/02/09 06:28 PM
I'm not giving up on the game yet, I just think this is a pretty confusing move on 2K's part.

Legit gameplay videos are nice, but what I'm waiting for are the forthcoming impressions from people who were able to play the game early in Novato or in NYC, or those who may purchase it a week early from the NHL Store during their 2K10 tournament with Ovechkin (according to a poster on 2KHockey). I think if enough pre-release impressions surface on these or on other forums, I think a lot of our grey areas may be addressed.

Yes, it's not as good as a demo in all of our hands but at least it's something worth waiting for.

EDIT: This seems all fine and good for posters on OS or 2KH but what about Joe Casual Hockey Gamer? We may "know better" but at the end of the day, they're only going to get impressions from "Mr. IGN or Gamespot Reviewer", not forum members.

# 34 jyoung @ 09/02/09 06:41 PM
Quote:
The problem is there really aren't enough diehard 2k guys like yourself to sustain the franchise.
Exactly.

You'd think 2K would've learned this lesson with their one-and-done All Pro Football franchise, but apparently not.

# 35 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 06:44 PM
Quote:
The problem is there really aren't enough diehard 2k guys like yourself to sustain the franchise. They need the fence sitters and the people that have no brand allegiance.. hell, they need to steal some of the EA people while they're at it to be truly successful.

I don't give a **** who makes a game, as long as it's good. By not releasing a demo or showing us anything it's just not selling the game to people like me.

Frankly after the last couple years in this series I'd take a pushed back release date in exchange for a demo.
Hey I feel what your saying but who's to say they won't steal EA fans even without a demo. Some people purchase games based on the gaming site reviews and everything we had read so far has been nothing but positive. I have a feeling the final version will have positive reviews too. If that's the case then I don't see why that alone won't increase sales. Heck Madden (and I have to go there) gets glowing reviews year after year and I believe that has a definite impact on whether people purchase that game or not.

People are so quick to take negative 2k reviews as gospel, well let's see how they react to positive reviews. I'm not saying the demo is worthless, but it's not happening this year so the fence sitters have to rent the game and/or read the reviews to see if it's worth buying.

# 36 Flyermania @ 09/02/09 06:47 PM
Quote:
I will say this for demo's, thanks to EA releasing theirs, I won't be buying that game this year so it can serve a purpose.
Not that this really surprises me, but you're really going to judge a game on a 5-minute period demo where you can't adjust any of the sliders? Wow.

Unfortunately for 2k, not releasing a demo can also serve a purpose and send a message to gamers who were on the fence about buying the game in the first place. Just look at some of the responses in this thread.

# 37 original6 @ 09/02/09 06:48 PM
All I can say now is WOW...........just WOW. Major disappointment. There is no way I'm buying a hockey game on release day without trying it out first via a demo. I was giving 2k the benefit of the doubt when it came to their marketing strategy with 2k10, but now they've lost that. Just amazing how they can put so much effort into improving a game and yet have no solid plan to market it. Methinks like others this could be the end of 2k hockey games.

# 38 VanCitySportsGuy @ 09/02/09 06:51 PM
Considering this is coming from 2K Sports, I'm not surprised about the lack of a demo.

I don't care what kind of PR Spin they put up, but by not releasing a demo, they are telling me they don't want to show off the game to the masses.

This reminds me of movie companies not sending out screeners to reviewers.

The release date is soon and there's not one single lengthy gameplay video out there. Frankly, whoever runs 2K Sports should be fired.

Edit: A Gameplay video has finally been released

# 39 rudyjuly2 @ 09/02/09 06:59 PM
Not releasing a demo sounds bad. But a bad demo like NCAA 10 can do more harm than good. If you do a demo you have to do it right.

Quite frankly, I think companies would be better off making a demo from the final build and releasing it a few weeks after the game comes out anyways. The people that will buy it will buy it regardless. And the people on the fence will have a high quality demo to judge the game with.

# 40 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 07:04 PM
Quote:
Hey I feel what your saying but who's to say they won't steal EA fans even without a demo. Some people purchase games based on the gaming site reviews and everything we had read so far has been nothing but positive. I have a feeling the final version will have positive reviews too. If that's the case then I don't see why that alone won't increase sales. Heck Madden (and I have to go there) gets glowing reviews year after year and I believe that has a definite impact on whether people purchase that game or not.

People are so quick to take negative 2k reviews as gospel, well let's see how they react to positive reviews. I'm not saying the demo is worthless, but it's not happening this year so the fence sitters have to rent the game and/or read the reviews to see if it's worth buying.
I agree with you that most people base decisions on review scores that these games get from major sites, but that's all the more reason 2k will be hurt by this. I'd say it's pretty much a no brainer that NHL 10 will get an exceptionally high score considering the praise the series has had in the last few years and judging from the demo, it's only gotten better.

2k10 on the other hand is a game coming from a very lackluster couple of years so it's already starting out slow. Combine that with the lack of information and now no demo, I just don't see how fence sitters are going to be swayed in their direction, I really don't. This is what, the third year in a row they're claiming to be reinventing the series? Just saying things like that gets old quickly (look at the Madden forum) when there's no results. I'm not saying there won't be results, but as I said before if I had a really great game I'd want to show it off.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.