Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NHL Developer Insight, this one featuring NHL 2K10 Franchise mode.

Quote:
"The first thing to talk about, which I’m sure everyone has heard about at this point, is the new ability to play Franchise Mode games online this year. I know I’ve always found Franchise Modes in hockey games can turn into a grind if you’re stringent about playing every game. 82 games make for a long season, and most of the time you’ll probably have the CPU AI figured out before the end of it, making for a somewhat anti-climactic playoff. This year I’m really excited to see how people are going to take advantage of this feature, whether it be teaming up with a friend to play an entire Franchise cooperatively, or selectively picking new online opponents for every opposing team in Franchise.

Another online item we’re excited about is Franchise Blogging. This was initially meant as a shout out to all the guys that dedicate so much time to writing fantastic Franchise stories on the forums. I remember in the past having to write down my stats from online league games on paper and type them into my computer until NHL 2K5 started automating the process. Well now we’re going to help the guys out that play Franchise Mode, and we’re hoping this is the first step into a larger world for Franchise Mode. We’re also hoping it will be a nice addition for those using the above mentioned online Franchise game ability, helping your friends connect with what is actually going on in your Franchise and giving them a bit of context to games they are playing with or against you."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MizzouRah @ 09/08/09 06:12 PM
Thanks.. some good things in there. I really like the overall look of the interface this year.

# 2 BlueNGold @ 09/08/09 06:32 PM
Damn, 2K is pretty tempting this year.

I like the sounds of the team budget thing they have this year where if your a small market team it is alot more difficult to pay for the high priced free agents and things like that.

2K's Franchise Mode still isn't where I'd like it to be though because I think the draft is still the same, negotiations are the same and we don't know for sure yet if some of the problems from 2K9's Franchise will carry over.

# 3 CarryTheWeight @ 09/08/09 06:49 PM
-Love the "league history" feature...something I was looking forward to seeing in NBA 2K10 and it's good to hear that we have it in NHL as well. I don't know why, I'm a junkie for that type of stuff...probably as a result of playing over 80+ seasons in a fantasy league in OOTP5, but that's neither here nor there...

-I guess Realm may be happy to hear that a frozen franchise glitch has been fixed...

-Cool that you can see team attendance and "team state" in a Team Card screen. Hopefully this comes attached with dynamic attendance...and I wouldn't mind any of the obscure trivia items we see in NBA 2K every year either (but not expecting it). Also informative to see other teams' captaincy without going into an actual game.

-What about smaller market teams that are exceptions to the rule (Minnesota, Buffalo)? Will they still have "guaranteed sellouts" based on the enthusiasm over hockey in the area? I'm asking this because the Sabres haven't made the playoffs in two years and have sold out of season tickets due to the fanbase's enthusiasm (or happiness with mediocrity, take your pick).

All in all, should be an entertaining year in both games' franchise modes...providing, of course, that 2K10 can keep excitement high at the trade deadline and mirror the strategic acquiring of players that EA's Be A GM has already promoted.

# 4 Flyermania @ 09/08/09 07:42 PM
Thanks for the link...some really good & promising stuff in there. Sounds like they spent a good amount of time QA'ing for bugs, which is what was desperately needed. I really like the edit lines screen and also the "trade override" feature.

# 5 original6 @ 09/08/09 09:43 PM
Wow, very impressed with the franchise mode features. Trade override so that you can keep rosters up to date with the real NHL without controlling all 30 teams, the ability to realign the divisions, revamped budget system, franchise freeze fixes... Looks like a ton of work was done!

# 6 Eddie1967 @ 09/08/09 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Wow, very impressed with the franchise mode features. Trade override so that you can keep rosters up to date with the real NHL without controlling all 30 teams, the ability to realign the divisions, revamped budget system, franchise freeze fixes... Looks like a ton of work was done!
Very nice indeed, especially the part about keeping rosters up to date. This is yet another reason to buy this game.

# 7 Santino @ 09/08/09 10:56 PM
One of my main concerns was the franchise mode, this sounds very promising. Being able to keep teams close to their actual counterpart is great.

# 8 onlybygrace @ 09/09/09 12:21 AM
Great stuff in there...good job 2k!!!

# 9 SoxFan01605 @ 09/09/09 01:15 AM
Very intriguing. It all sounds great in theory. I just hope the personalities and shifting philosophies don't cause weird issues as the seasons progress. Really digging these features though, and it's sounding like it could be a very immersive franchise mode. Can't wait!

# 10 tabulaRasa @ 09/09/09 03:32 AM
Nice info, and good stuff. I really like the upgrade to the menues this year awesome.

# 11 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/09 04:07 AM
I always enjoyed the 2k franchise mode, even with the occaisional freeze. Looks good again, but they really need the AHL lisence.

# 12 original6 @ 09/09/09 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30
I have been saying since the demo fiasco that i wasnt getting either game but after reading the franchise insight i am having second thoughts.

I'll wait and see how i feel because part of me is saying screw these game companies and their maybe next year attitude (EA full franchise control????) and the other is needing a Hockey game so i can get my fix.

Decisions decisions
I'm in exactly the same boat, man. It's just hard to fathom not picking up a hockey title on release day though. In contrast, I'm tired of not being fully satisfied with either title for the past 4 years. The closest was 2k8 and I don't think I've managed a whole season on that one yet either. I'm not looking for perfect, just something challenging, balanced, and reasonably realistic. (I don't expect too much, do I? )

# 13 bcgudely @ 09/09/09 04:05 PM
Little late in here but the budget thing sounds really awesome. The other stuff is great too, but having less to work with and getting a cup would be a very rewarding experience.

# 14 texbuk84 @ 09/09/09 05:32 PM
looking good

# 15 HeroWorship @ 09/09/09 06:07 PM
A couple of the things popped out at me:

Even though you usually have the ability to edit the players name after you draft them, the fact you can make your own draft class is pretty cool feature. This can mean some hard-core puckheads may give us a nice update of the 2010 Entry draft, or you can screw around with it, and have some fun.

The budget sounds cool too, and the interface is smooth. 2k, your making my hockey purchase difficult. Sure, you're getting GM mode and the other nice stuff from EA, but it seems like 2k threw away their mistakes from 2k9, and are ready to show the world who they are.

I am tempted to buy both now.

# 16 Mostarac @ 09/09/09 07:35 PM
sounds good! one question though: does this mean that we will have dynamic attendance in this mode??

# 17 18 eighty 5 @ 09/09/09 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostarac
sounds good! one question though: does this mean that we will have dynamic attendance in this mode??
This is what I want to know too. If the arenas are always packed but in the franchise stats it shows variance in attendance that would be a dit dissapointing.

Nevertheless I love the sound of it all. Trade overide to keep things up to date with the NHL is a great idea.

Of the two products released this year, 2k is the one I am anticipating more.

# 18 wheels2121 @ 09/09/09 11:49 PM
Still unclear on how we'd stock create a team. Do we just get the roster of the team we replace? If we take from a few rosters, will those guys still be on the other teams, creating, say, 2 Ovechkins?

# 19 slickdtc @ 09/10/09 12:29 AM
It has been revealed for a while, but I'm definitely going to love the Franchise Blogs that the game will create. I'm a big time franchise story guy, so I really appreciate that "shoutout" (as it was so eloquently put in the Insight). I feel like something like that the community (or at least guys like WWTC, Shadow) really helped push into the game as a nice extra feature.

The other improvements sound great, too. I'm hoping that I'll be playing this game for a long time, so having a loaded franchise mode will be a really nice perk.

# 20 original6 @ 09/10/09 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
It has been revealed for a while, but I'm definitely going to love the Franchise Blogs that the game will create. I'm a big time franchise story guy, so I really appreciate that "shoutout" (as it was so eloquently put in the Insight). I feel like something like that the community (or at least guys like WWTC, Shadow) really helped push into the game as a nice extra feature.

The other improvements sound great, too. I'm hoping that I'll be playing this game for a long time, so having a loaded franchise mode will be a really nice perk.
D, when I read about the franchise features, I knew it would be right up your alley. Now you can stop playing that crappy 2k7.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.