Home
FIFA 10 News Post

For those of you that can grab the FIFA Soccer 10 demo, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 10Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
FIFA Soccer 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Whitesox @ 09/11/09 09:15 PM
I was wondering, how do people play at day?

I can only play in the FIWC stadium at dusk.

# 62 Tomasperez9 @ 09/11/09 10:09 PM
I don't know how many of you have been play human v human, but me and my roommate have played 10+ games these past couple of days. It plays so well in multiplayer. There's none of those lobbed through balls every time and there are actually a lot of fouls, even with "A" tackles. I'm really loving this game. Against the computer it's kinda iffy, but playing against a human is really fun.

PS: Diego is disgusting in this game.

# 63 Bahnzo @ 09/11/09 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasperez9
I don't know how many of you have been play human v human, but me and my roommate have played 10+ games these past couple of days. It plays so well in multiplayer. There's none of those lobbed through balls every time and there are actually a lot of fouls, even with "A" tackles. I'm really loving this game. Against the computer it's kinda iffy, but playing against a human is really fun.

PS: Diego is disgusting in this game.
That's really what I'm hoping for...multiplayer has the potential to be fun again.

# 64 TheDutchDad @ 09/11/09 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
That's really what I'm hoping for...multiplayer has the potential to be fun again.
Nice avatar Bahnzo!

I was able to download the demo today on the PS3 since I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to do it on the 360, and I have to say I enjoyed it. The 360 movement was very well done and easy to use. For those of you who can't feel the 360 movement I question which game you're even playing.

All in all...not a whole lot of difference. I still think I like PES more...but FIFA is a fun game. I'll be getting both footie games for the 2nd straight year.

# 65 JBucc @ 09/11/09 11:43 PM
I pretty much have the same reactions as others here. The movement, animations, and ball physics are all great, but the AI, CPU and friendly really drag it down. They've got the game mechanics pretty much nailed, next year they need to focus hard on AI and team tactics. Despite the improvements I'm not having as much fun as I did with 09.

# 66 Qb @ 09/12/09 12:50 AM
I haven't played too much, but I get the feeling that this will be a much better multiplayer experience. I've forgotten how much the default CTTs screw with the gameplay. Looks like I'll be setting aside a day to create & assign tactics to all the major leagues and top teams from the smaller leagues. It helped a lot with 09, so hopefully it will do the same for the AI in 10.

EDIT: Just had one of those games as mentioned by Bahnzo -- 6 fouls for the CPU, only one on a slide tackle. It appears that if you're patient and a little clever on the ball, especially with skilled dribblers (I was Barca), you can see fouls. Saw a few wrong-footed defenders stick out a leg for a call, actually remember a waved off advantage so make that 7, and also saw two shoulder charges through the back as I received the ball which were never called in prior years. Let's keep our fingers crossed, indeed...

# 67 ezio @ 09/12/09 09:17 AM
I feel the same way as a lot of you. The biggest let down of course being that all the teams all play the same all the time. I also don't see much of a difference in players again except for maybe Xavi. There are some good things. I crossing and shooting are much improved which is good. I await the demo of PES 2010 to compare but right now I don't think I will get Fifa.

# 68 Pared @ 09/12/09 09:55 AM
I'm enjoying the heck out of the demo.

They increased the variability on a lot of things... and I can tell the GK's are improved.

Slow speed opens up the game for me more.

If you're concerned with passing, why can't you just put on the option to make the control all manual like last year?

# 69 CarryTheWeight @ 09/12/09 10:24 AM
I'm very impressed by the demo. The flow of the gameplay is much more realistic this time around, it's paced perfectly. The new dribbling doesn't revolutionize the game all that much but it does offer the ability to cut past defenders effectively and switch directions in a realistic fashion.

Star players are dominant from what I've seen. I was dominated by Chicago Fire in my first game (embarrassing, since I was Chelsea) and Brian McBride simply torched me. He was always in position and always primed to score or shoot on goal. I had to keep at least two defenders in his area at all times because he was a risk to score every time the ball came close to the box.

Not sure if this was in 09 (I didn't purchase the game last year) but the "instant free kicks" that happen are something I wanted to see in a soccer game for a while. It's good to see that instead of the jarring "fade to black" free kicks we usually get. I wish something like that could happen for throw-ins, though. Nice to see stuff happening in real time without breaking the flow of the game.

Very solid all around, can not wait to take the full version for a spin.

# 70 nccomicfan @ 09/12/09 12:30 PM
After becoming an Englishman named Jack Harkness, I played a couple of games on the demo once the Liverpool match went 3-0......some subtle tweaks but man does this feel like the same game.Everyone's criticism(AI,teams play the same etc) are spot on. I am going to give it alot more play this week.I've had this on pre-order since the day I bought my PS3...not sure now

# 71 therizing02 @ 09/12/09 01:29 PM
Ok. A few of the cooler things I've noticed:

On World Class level if you are playing defense in a way to cut down the passing lanes it is much more effective this year than last. If you did it last year, the quick change of direction by CPU players controlling the ball made that type of defense useless.

-Quick free kicks are great

-The second defender press button is more effective/responsive this year. You can actually force CPU dribblers to a certain area of the pitch, press the second defender press button and stop the CPU's progress.

-The new slide tackle tweaks are thing of beauty. If the player is close enough, they slide but at times they stick a foot in to try to steal the ball. And thank the Lord because if you go in too quick you'll get whistled for a foul!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-The ball is not unfairly glued to the CPU players foot on WC. Remember how they would just cut on a dime and dribble in circles and it was nearly impossible to stop their progress?

-Through balls are much improved. I actually feel that on Manual I control where the ball is going. It seemed like it was nearly impossible to play the ball into space the last two years. No matter what pressure you put on the Y button the pass was directed right at the player instead of into open space. Not this year.

-I actually tried something for the first time in 3 years with this demo. I used the Broadcast cam. Yes it looks more like watching a game on TV but it also slows the pace of the game down to a more realistic looking level. I like this.

After attending the FIFA Community Day last year and being able to spend an extended amount of time with the game I figured out that 09 had to be played a lot differently than 08. I think it's the same with FIFA 10. You can't play FIFA 10 like you did 09.

In DaCzar's NBA Live video he says that you have to play basketball and not a video game. Maybe for FIFA 10 we have to play soccer instead of a video game.....for once.

# 72 Whitesox @ 09/12/09 03:49 PM
All three of those depend on your preferences.

# 73 Qb @ 09/12/09 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
-Through balls are much improved. I actually feel that on Manual I control where the ball is going. It seemed like it was nearly impossible to play the ball into space the last two years. No matter what pressure you put on the Y button the pass was directed right at the player instead of into open space. Not this year.

In DaCzar's NBA Live video he says that you have to play basketball and not a video game. Maybe for FIFA 10 we have to play soccer instead of a video game.....for once.
Two jump-off thoughts:

1) I was thinking about this today while cleaning. I think the 360-degree control is going to make things a lot more interesting when it comes to passing & shooting. I never thought about in this way before, but 8-directional input had to restrict aiming as well.

I know I often felt like my manually directed passes/shots did not go where I wanted; rather they would go to the nearest approximation on a 45-degree axis. I've already placed a few purdy through balls that weren't parallel to the touch line or at a 45-degree angle to it. I need to try manual ground passing to get a larger sample size, but I think this could be big... if I'm not hallucinating again. I did crack my back earlier, maybe it's a flashback...

2) I think the game will be a blast with two people playing at a realistic pace. The controls and responsiveness -- aside from defenders still chesting the ball down in your own box, is their a command for a user desperation clearance? -- are finally getting to where they should be, it looks very nice, runs smoothly, etc, etc...

Anyways, to what Riz was saying, I think we're going to have some of the tools we need to play a more tactical game of football. I get the feeling charging at the ball won't be the best tactic in all situations as it certainly was in 08 and was to a large degree in 09. I think a lot of people aren't used to playing a containment style of D and looking to influence where the ball goes on the pitch. It's always been, "THERE'S THE BALL! GO GET IT! GO GET IT! GIMME, GIMME, GIMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Maybe we've turned a corner... or maybe it'll be the same old ****. Who knows.

# 74 Bruins @ 09/12/09 04:50 PM

# 75 greenhorn @ 09/12/09 04:57 PM
Have gotten a handful of games in and really enjoying it.

I think the length of the demo may be forcing teams to play a little out of their usual manner. Would like to see EA confirm this…

Teams may not play a normal ball control offense because they are trying to win the game in the short time given. Just a wishful thought.

I have also seen defenders joining the attack much more than last year. When I played Chelsea, Ashley Cole was constantly pushing up the sideline.

Also found Juventus to play the ball back to the defenders quite frequently to set up the attack at the half line.

Besides those tactical things that seem to be going against the grain of what has been stated here already, the player movement and animations are fantastic. And the L2/R2 control is superb with skilled players. Really enjoying it!

A question, is there a button command to initiate a quick free kick? I have seen the computer do it on multiple occasions, but I have yet to do it myself?

# 76 marcoyk @ 09/12/09 04:57 PM
Just made a European account and am currently downloading.

# 77 marcoyk @ 09/12/09 06:54 PM
This is a pretty fun game. Really similar to last year's. I'll post some videos shortly.

# 78 frajuve @ 09/12/09 10:16 PM
Hello people, great feedback on this demo but I've noticed thru your videos that the goal mesh doesn't move once you've scored just like a few years back, I hope its just me having bad eyesight could someone please elaborate on this thread Thank you!!

# 79 calcutta @ 09/13/09 12:42 AM
They've got Victor Valdes' playing style spot on

I'm Bayern, btw.

# 80 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 09/13/09 02:35 PM
i think the demo is incredible...certainly not a goal fest when i play.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.