Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA Developer Insights, this one covering NBA 2K10 defensive gameplay.

Quote:
"Double teams also received a complete re-write from last year. The mechanic itself has improved in order to give the user a more interactive approach. As you remember in 2K9, once the double team was initiated, it seemed like a full feature movie played out until a particular resolution was achieved. This year, we re-worked the mechanic to have completely independent and controllable actors within the double team animations, so that each controlled player can request a particular action independently of what the other player is doing. Last year, this was just a timing issue; but now, a steal attempt happens when you request it and not just when the code decides to resolve to one. All in all, the game now provides a much better experience in terms of response to being in a double team. As an offensive player, you can counter by dribbling out, splitting, passing and shooting. Some of these resolutions were available before, but never with the involvement we’ve added to it this year. Double teams can also be canceled, so you can fake the call and then send the defender back to his man by just hitting the DT button again (LB on Xbox 360, L1 on PS3)."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 spankdatazz22 @ 09/23/09 09:02 PM
Nice read. And as he said you can see some of the improvements in the Draft Combine gameplay, which some seem to be choosing to ignore

# 42 youvalss @ 09/23/09 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
I find it REALLY funny how Momentous locked my thread about the insight when I posted it first. Shouldn't this one have been locked?
That "2K9" killed it.

# 43 blingballa333 @ 09/23/09 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
That "2K9" killed it.
He could have easily changed it to 2k10. Heck, I did change it, it just doesn't show up on the main forum page. I got jipped lol

# 44 youvalss @ 09/23/09 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
He could have easily changed it to 2k10. Heck, I did change it, it just doesn't show up on the main forum page. I got jipped lol
You have certain time to change it, after that it won't change. PM him, that's all I can say.

# 45 Nodima @ 09/23/09 09:06 PM
I really like how blocks work in Draft Combine, can't wait to see how it translates to the NBA.

# 46 NINJAK2 @ 09/23/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
sounds great. i cant wait to see this and get my hands on it. But what does 2 player blocks mean exactly?? 2 players can block the shot??
Vast,
I think that means they mo capped two people (shooter/defender) and have different block animations for every shot attempt (layup/ jumper,etc) so it looks more organic..I think.

# 47 NumberOneRB @ 09/23/09 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHouse2814
http://www.gamespot.com/sports/blogs...irst-look.html

i would never steer you wrong man but in that hoops article he never said that all 9000 was in 2k10.

Of course, correcting player proportions is just one of the issues addressed in this year's game. As gameplay producer Rob Jones told me, the team wanted to address animations in a comprehensive way this year. To that end, Jones said his mo-cap team captured something in the realm of 9,000 animations during the mo-cap sessions for 2K10. And while not all of those animations were entered into this year's game, a good chunk have either replaced older animations or been added to the game. As he put it, if an animation is pre-NBA 2K9, it had less than a 50 percent chance of making it into NBA 2K10. Part of that new animation philosophy had to do with providing further definition between players. Naturally, a point guard will have access to a different set of moves than a massive center, but developers didn't stop there. They also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing.
Thanks I appreciate the verification. I think what bothers me most is that if you're going to say you captured 9,000 animations for the game, but not all of them are for 2K10, then DON'T SAY YOU CAPTURED 9,000 ANIMATIONS as if they all pertain to 2K10. It just seems like they keep stating that amount as a marketing tool to make us all believe that's how many they actually captured for this year's game; when they may have only used a third of them for this version.

# 48 RubenDouglas @ 09/23/09 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodima
I really like how blocks work in Draft Combine, can't wait to see how it translates to the NBA.
no joke. i saw for the first time in a 2k basketball game, a block that hit the bottom corner of the backboard. the trajectory pushed it at an angle to where my CPU teammate almost got the deflection.. awesome to see that sorta stuff

# 49 i c u cant stop me @ 09/23/09 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSapida
We've got gameplay videos coming real soon.

lol iam just kidding cant wait to see the videos.

# 50 infam0us @ 09/23/09 09:15 PM
Combine definitely had some of the best block animations I've seen in a game. Was messing around with the combine earlier today blocked a shot and the ball went off the opposing team back. Happened with 11 seconds left, and locked up the win for me.

# 51 CoHouse2814 @ 09/23/09 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
Thanks I appreciate the verification. I think what bothers me most is that if you're going to say you captured 9,000 animations for the game, but not all of them are for 2K10, then DON'T SAY YOU CAPTURED 9,000 ANIMATIONS as if they all pertain to 2K10. It just seems like they keep stating that amount as a marketing tool to make us all believe that's how many they actually captured for this year's game; when they may have only used a third of them for this version.
yeah you can say its being used as a marketing tool but 2k is giving u the new direction its going in sports gaming. out with the old animations and in with the new animations for future series

# 52 MelMan1486 @ 09/23/09 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodima
Especially with a guy like Dwight Howard! What got my attention was cancelling the double team.

# 53 magicman32 @ 09/23/09 09:27 PM
Great read!!! If the defense is anything like the combine, with a slight touch up here and there, then 2k10 should be lovely. I like that they fixed the double teaming.

# 54 ehh @ 09/23/09 09:27 PM
This sounds great but I am a little skeptical. If 2K comes through with all these "under the hood" changes they are talking about then it will be very hard to pass on this game.

# 55 CoHouse2814 @ 09/23/09 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMan1486
Especially with a guy like Dwight Howard! What got my attention was cancelling the double team.
i dont know why cause u do that in 2k9. i needed some more detail when they said that cause u can do it last year and cancel the double team before the guy gets close the person you trying to double team. maybe now you can be lock in the double team and cancel then that would be an improvement but if not then its been there done that fever

# 56 DC @ 09/23/09 09:29 PM
Can we finally challenge a shot without jumping is the question

# 57 rrenn001 @ 09/23/09 09:29 PM
I didn't believe my eyes when the shot clock was running down and my defender put up his hands and the 3 pt shot was blocked by that defensive stance!!! Huge improvement in that it works this year. However it still stinks you can't move while your hands are up...2K fix that please.

# 58 magicman32 @ 09/23/09 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
This sounds great but I am a little skeptical. If 2K comes through with all these "under the hood" changes they are talking about then it will be very hard to pass on this game.
Of course you are. A lot of these defensive changes are already in the combine.

# 59 Rocboyz101 @ 09/23/09 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Can we finally challenge a shot without jumping is the question
Yeah this is something that should have been implemented a long time ago..

# 60 DC @ 09/23/09 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrenn001
I didn't believe my eyes when the shot clock was running down and my defender put up his hands and the 3 pt shot was blocked by that defensive stance!!! Huge improvement in that it works this year. However it still stinks you can't move while your hands are up...2K fix that please.
You could do this in 2K7. I doesn't happen often but it definitely isn't anything new

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.