Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the Madden NFL 10 blog, which talks about the preliminary details of the 2nd title update.

Quote:
"In this second title update we focused on some of the more debated topics from our loyal and passionate fan base. We appreciate all the feedback so please keep it coming! In this update you will be happy to hear that we have tuned our Flat Zone assignments to cover the flats more effectively. Defenders will not chuck a WR if another receiver is running a route towards their zone. This will help the defender be in better position to react to a quickly throw flat route and allow him to make a play. The flat zone defenders will also play the ball better if a pass is thrown behind the line of scrimmage as well as taking better pursuit angles after the catch to prevent the ball carrier from being able to get around the corner. This has been one of the top complaints that we have heard about and realized it was definitely something that we needed to address."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 vaderdog @ 10/20/09 05:32 PM
I just moved to Florida, relocating for work and had been stuck in a hotel for the last month, unable to do any gaming. However my fortunes have changed, and I will be getting Verizon FiOS installed Thursday. Anyone know anything about the second update?

# 162 Tyrant8RDFL @ 10/20/09 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_razzamataz
Tiburon (Ian in particular, if I'm not mistaken) have stated that it's not disk space, but rather system memory (AKA RAM) is the limiting factor in this generation. Both X360 and PS3 are severely lacking in memory.
This is why the game we have now is lacking. It needs more memory in order to get everyting working correctly.

They should have never went with this engine on these platforms, and just stood with last gen madden till they got everything right behind closed doors with the current engine.

Ian admitted that he wished they never rushed with this engine and just waited till everything was right and stood with last gen engine till the time was right with the new engine.

# 163 RyanMoody21 @ 10/20/09 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderdog
I just moved to Florida, relocating for work and had been stuck in a hotel for the last month, unable to do any gaming. However my fortunes have changed, and I will be getting Verizon FiOS installed Thursday. Anyone know anything about the second update?
All we have been told is it wont happen before November.

Given the time frame patch 1 had getting certified, and the fact EA admits patch 2 isnt complete yet. I think we could easily be looking at late November if not early December.

# 164 capn_razzamataz @ 10/20/09 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Both systems have hard drives so they need to use them. Just use the memory for the live stuff.
Not quite. I'd wager a large percent of 360 users who bought arcade/base systems still don't have HDDs. EA won't alienate those people if it means losing their money...even if a superior product is the result of it.

# 165 dannydufflebags @ 10/20/09 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
I hate to start the console wars here, but I think the 360 is holding us back. We all know that Blu-Ray holds over 5X more space than a standard DVD. Multi-platform games are made for 360 and ported over to PS3. If it was the other way, Xbox 360 would need a second disc and that would cost Microsoft money, big time. If Sony was winning this console war, this wouldn't be a problem but Sony was so STUPID for their high price system in the beginning that no one really wanted to develop for it for fear of poor game sales. No offense, but it's time for developers to tell MS to get a blu-ray component for their system because it's not enough space to move forward.
What all of you are failing to realize, is the problem has nothing to do with disc space, but the two system's internal memory (RAM).
So all of these arguments about Blu-ray making the game better are null.

With that said, I don't believe either system is to blame for the problems in the game, EA and development are. If EA would hire a second dev team to work on long term improvements, we would have a good game. I don't expect them to spend more money, but that would fix the problem.

I am upset with the dev team for telling us things were in the game,that never made it to the game, but I really don't think it is possible to fix this game with the small amount of time they have during a cycle, and the demands of the marketing dept. (back of the box)

# 166 marcoyk @ 10/20/09 08:09 PM
Awesome. Thanks a lot.

# 167 NoFear @ 10/20/09 08:40 PM
This is taking awhile....

My Madden is just collecting dust until patch 2 comes out. It just bothers me knowing all the Franchises I had set up are on hold or will have to be restarted whenever this patch comes out.I'm looking forward to the improvements, but it kinda sucks we will be more than halfway through the season by the time I'll be playing this game to its full potential.

# 168 superstarshad @ 10/20/09 09:29 PM
Thank you, thank you! Top players in madden 10 live and die through the flats.

# 169 Herky @ 10/20/09 10:23 PM
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but this patch better VASTLY improve this game in many ways. I refuse to start a dynasty and then have a patch come out and make my sliders points. Don't get me wrong, taking time isn't a bad thing, but I am praying it's the Patch Of Patches. Waiting this long to play a game franchise-wise sucks.

# 170 stoncold32 @ 10/20/09 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_razzamataz
Not quite. I'd wager a large percent of 360 users who bought arcade/base systems still don't have HDDs. EA won't alienate those people if it means losing their money...even if a superior product is the result of it.
That's not the problem. Xbox had a harddrive when PS2 never did. That never changed anything

# 171 spixxx8 @ 10/20/09 11:23 PM
ok so the waiting game starts

# 172 NDIrish98 @ 10/20/09 11:26 PM
i would just like to let everyone know my copy of Madden helped me payoff my pre order for Left 4 Dead 2.

# 173 R.Moncrief @ 10/20/09 11:39 PM
Okay..

Can we please give this impatient thing a rest? The blog clearly states that the patch won't come out at any point in October so, at the very least, we will be lucky to hear something new about this patch on or soon after November 1st. It is ONLY October 20th, so that's 11 more days before you can even expect new information, if anything, nevermind the patch itself.

Be real. Be logical.

This sh*t ain't coming out 'til we are well into November.

# 174 KBLover @ 10/21/09 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
What all of you are failing to realize, is the problem has nothing to do with disc space, but the two system's internal memory (RAM).
So all of these arguments about Blu-ray making the game better are null.
How much RAM does a PS3 have?

If memory is the problem - maybe they should have stayed with the PC? All PCs have HDDs and graphics can be off-loaded to the graphics card at least to some degree and handled there.

# 175 ruffdhc @ 10/21/09 04:15 AM
hey man, i really think that they make plays on the ball enough as it is and when they do get the INT it goes for a TD that shouldn't happen all the time. can you improve the arch on bullet passes or something. improve the cut off angle on the offence during a fumble or INT. thats what fans really need.

from a loyal fan since 1989.

# 176 Exonerated @ 10/21/09 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
How much RAM does a PS3 have?

If memory is the problem - maybe they should have stayed with the PC? All PCs have HDDs and graphics can be off-loaded to the graphics card at least to some degree and handled there.
TOTALLY missing the point.

I think you should just say " I don't understand why Madden sucks " and leave it at that.

# 177 JMD @ 10/21/09 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
First of all I am enjoying this year of Madden but I am not a franchise player. I am a online franchise player that spends tons of time in practice mode.

Here is my question, why Madden needs to be released in mid August? Madden doesn't have any competitors and clearly Madden need extra time in development oven. We get games early and from the first hours of play we find out the major game play flaw that patches rarely ever fix.

EA is killing their cash cow. I am willing to wait as long as needed for the Madden team to put out a quality product because this cycle of August release, september patch, and then late November 2nd patch would kill any product.

I will be hard press to buy this game next August at 60 bones.

Peace
The answer to that question is Money. The game releases each year just as the excitement of a new NFL season is taking off. OTA's , training camps, pre season games. The game will always release with a short Dev cycle because it can. Year after year this game comes out with lot's of issues yet we all still buy it.

Why would EA change something that takes in millions of dollars each year. If EA knows they are going to sell half a million or more copies of a game at $60.00 each you can bet that game is going to be in stores at the same time each year, broken or not. It's about Money not the quality of the game.

It will never happen but if everyone just took one year off from buying this game that is all it would take. Just imagine the headline "Madden 11 sells 72 copies in first 3 months, EA stock plummets."

# 178 RumbleCard @ 10/21/09 11:47 AM
Hard to believe that we haven't recieved 100% confirmed details. Prelims were out what? Friday?

# 179 tylerd02 @ 10/21/09 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
First of all I am enjoying this year of Madden but I am not a franchise player. I am a online franchise player that spends tons of time in practice mode.

Here is my question, why Madden needs to be released in mid August? Madden doesn't have any competitors and clearly Madden need extra time in development oven. We get games early and from the first hours of play we find out the major game play flaw that patches rarely ever fix.

EA is killing their cash cow. I am willing to wait as long as needed for the Madden team to put out a quality product because this cycle of August release, september patch, and then late November 2nd patch would kill any product.

I will be hard press to buy this game next August at 60 bones.

Peace
It really doesn't matter when it comes out from a development standpoint. It could come out in january really, it's still 12 months whethers it's January or August. If you pushed it back to November it would only add a couple months for the first cycle but after that your right back to 12 months. EA will never go to a 2 year cycle either, doesn't make sense from a business aspect. They've got the marketing down to a science so don't look for that to change.

# 180 SoxFan01605 @ 10/21/09 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd02
It really doesn't matter when it comes out from a development standpoint. It could come out in january really, it's still 12 months whethers it's January or August. If you pushed it back to November it would only add a couple months for the first cycle but after that your right back to 12 months. EA will never go to a 2 year cycle either, doesn't make sense from a business aspect. They've got the marketing down to a science so don't look for that to change.
This is true. Pushing it back a few months would only help for the first year it's done. After, it's back to the 12mo. cycle.

There's also the issue of the NFL (which also impacts the release date and the idea of a 2-year cycle as well). For most of these licensed games, the developers are hamstrung by the granter's timetable. Meaning, in the case of Madden, the NFL has a big say when Madden gets released. It coincides with their own seasonal kickoff promotions, etc.

In the end, t does essentially come down to money, of course...just simply not all on the part of EA. I'm willing to bet this is one of the struggles between the developers and the suits that the developers have either learned to accept, or always lose...lol.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.