Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 patch is now available for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"Here are a couple of the key fixes that we've made in the Title Update:

Fixed the exploit to slap-shot a 5-hole goal from below the face-off circle.

* Although our goalies are much improved in NHL 10, there was an exploit when shooting from below the face-off circle that resulted in a goal more often than not. The goalies are now tuned to better handle shots from this area.

Increased speed of passes with Manual passing on.

* This year we added Hardcore Passing (manual passing) that gave you total control of your pass speed and direction. Overall, the new passing was well received but the consensus was that you should be able to pass the puck harder and that the bottom-end speed was too slow. We've increased the bottom-end speed so the passes are crisper and also increased the top-end slightly as well.

Reduced the ability to boardplay players who are far away from you.

* It was a little unrealistic being able to 'suck' a player into boardplay as he was skating away from you so we've made it much harder to pin a player that is skating away. The further he is from you, the less likely you'll be able to boardplay him.

Tuning of trade logic.

* Too many superstars were being offered up for trades so we've dialed this back along with reducing how often players are repeatedly offered up for trade.

Added the ability for a user to apply boost slots to authentic helmets.

* We've added the ability to apply boost slots to an authentic helmet so users can get the benefit of the boosts without having to wear a helmet with a design on it.

Here are some of the other main fixes that will be in the Title Update:

* Fixed the bug that would make a player sometimes exit pass blocking (L1/LT) when they got close to their goalie.
* Fixed the bug that would prevent offline Be a Pro player from getting ice-time in some situations.
* Fixed a crash that could happen on delayed penalty shots.
* Improved logic for how fighting affects teamplay scores in Be a Pro.
* Prevent L1/LT from allowing players to bypass stumble animations.
* Improvements to goalies to reduce 5-hole goals in some contexts.
* Tuned thresholds for injuries from hard shots.
* Added the ability to escape a prefight circle by pressing L2/LB.
* Fixed the bug that made it possible to "shoot" a puck slowly out of the one-handed animation such that nobody could pick it up.
* Improved goalie aggressiveness when poking the puck on cross-crease passes.
* Improved the ability of defencemen are able to do puck pickups behind them to help defend cross-crease passes.
* Reduced the ability to stuff the puck through the goalie by running into him without shooting (most common on wraparounds and reaching puck pickups).
* Reduced accidental interference in front of net.
* Fixed the offline Be a Pro line-change bug where the player is stuck at the bench.
* Prevent slap passes from being deflected at large angles.
* Fixed the bug where the goalie does not react to a shot if he's banging his stick on the ice to signal the end of a penalty.
* Fixed the bug that makes flip dumps to the middle of the offensive zone go over the glass frequently.
* Fixed the bug that makes CPU center win draws to the the same side all of the time.
* Fixed the bug in the stat tracking of passing.
* Prevent accidental saucer passes after receiving the puck while trying to poke check (because both actions are on R1/RT).
* Tuning to reduce occurrence of tripping penalties when the player being tripped is stationary or moving slowly.
* Tuning to game logic to make it a little easier to stay up on the NHL team during 4-game trial in BAP.
* Many other changes to improve our ability to refine the gameplay tuning with via tuner sets."

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Ridgeberg @ 10/27/09 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section_25
I just downloaded Version 1.02 for the PS3. The patch size is 27 megs. Still experimenting with games to see if I need to adjust my sliders. The gameplay seems exactly the same to me so far.
Thanks for the heads up. I can confirm it is out for XBOX 360 also. I just downloaded it.

# 2 Red71Star @ 10/27/09 08:22 AM
Yep, just came on to mention this.. DL'ing it now for PS3. So this is the update that was to come out in early November that was bumped up to this week?

# 3 Qb @ 10/27/09 08:31 AM
Cool, wasn't expecting to see this before November. Looking forward to the gameplay fixes and hopefully it helps with BaGM trading. Maybe I'll finally start one...

# 4 Money99 @ 10/27/09 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section_25
I just downloaded Version 1.02 for the PS3. The patch size is 27 megs. Still experimenting with games to see if I need to adjust my sliders. The gameplay seems exactly the same to me so far.
Really?

Can anyone else comment on whether they're seeing a big difference in gameplay?
The board-pinning suction is the one thing I really wanted to see fixed.
I love this feature but it's a bit over the top with how easy it is to implement from far distances.

# 5 ps2sportgamer @ 10/27/09 09:51 AM
Unfortunately, when patches come out (madden, ncaa football), I FEEL people expect the game to play ALOT differently. Thats never going to happen.

After playing 10 or so games with the new patch, It'll probably feel the same as before lol.

Anyways....I thank EA for any updates!

# 6 Taku @ 10/27/09 10:02 AM
27 megs? Took like 1.5 seconds to download the patch. Is there any way to verify that the patch is really applied to my game?

# 7 niksa83 @ 10/27/09 10:09 AM
So are we suposed to start out BAP and GM modes all over again or does this patch apply to saved games?

# 8 plaidchuck @ 10/27/09 10:25 AM
Goalies seem a little poke-happy now..

# 9 Qb @ 10/27/09 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksa83
So are we suposed to start out BAP and GM modes all over again or does this patch apply to saved games?
Usually, gameplay changes apply to all modes, even previously started dynasties/BAPs. However, game mode specific changes -- such as BaGM trade logic -- require the mode to be started after the update is installed to take effect.

So most likely, yes, you'll have to start a new BAP or GM for the tweaked trade logic to be in place.

Anyone notice the board-pinning changes? That's a big one for me as well. I found myself feeling a little guilty when playing 1v1 against friends when a mis-timed pin still sucked them in...

Also, I don't suppose anyone has tried manual passing? I love using it and hope the tweak to user pass speed is a positive one.

# 10 bad_philanthropy @ 10/27/09 10:37 AM
Liking the changes to manual passing.

# 11 DGuinta1 @ 10/27/09 10:45 AM
The CPU's defense is far smarter now and more aggressive on PP's, IMO.

This game pwnz! =]

# 12 niksa83 @ 10/27/09 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Usually, gameplay changes apply to all modes, even previously started dynasties/BAPs. However, game mode specific changes -- such as BaGM trade logic -- require the mode to be started after the update is installed to take effect.

So most likely, yes, you'll have to start a new BAP or GM for the tweaked trade logic to be in place.

Anyone notice the board-pinning changes? That's a big one for me as well. I found myself feeling a little guilty when playing 1v1 against friends when a mis-timed pin still sucked them in...

Also, I don't suppose anyone has tried manual passing? I love using it and hope the tweak to user pass speed is a positive one.
God damn it, i've been playing over 100 games in BAP with 10 minutes rounds...no simming what so ever FOOOOOOOOOKK!

Then again does trade logic affect BAP? Oh well....what can you do?!

# 13 DGuinta1 @ 10/27/09 10:55 AM
Seems like more realistic rebounds.

# 14 Section_25 @ 10/27/09 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Really?

Can anyone else comment on whether they're seeing a big difference in gameplay?
The board-pinning suction is the one thing I really wanted to see fixed.
I love this feature but it's a bit over the top with how easy it is to implement from far distances.
The board play suction issue seems to be alot better with this patch. In about 5 games I also managed to score a few goals with wrist shots in front of the goalie, so that seems to have been addressed also. Games seem to be alot more intense as far as rebounds and overall scoring. I'm liking it !!!

Wristshots:

The wristshot goal percentage could actually be increased even more if it was at all in the patch, maybe I have just had more luck with them since I installed the patch..I dunno. This goal could have fallen in the one-timer catagory, but this is the type of wrist shot I have seen more of since installing the patch.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12511997

Hopefully the next tuning set will increase goals like this even more, as I like them being as much of a threat of going in as are cross crease one-timers and hard slap shots.

# 15 shaunjuan2000 @ 10/27/09 11:42 AM
Supposedly,the patch was to also fix some freezing issues as well. I still try to select the San Antonio Rampage during Play Now, and it still never goes to the select jerseys screen. I need to shut off my PS3 and restart it. Like to see if it happens in BAGM.

It doesn't freeze during BAGM, but it does happen in Play Now and Battle for the Cup modes, and it needs to be fixed !!!!

# 16 Lenkbron @ 10/27/09 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I also use and love it, and hope that it is improved even more.

# 17 Taku @ 10/27/09 01:14 PM
So is that authentic gear(helmet) with boost slots in game now? I applied the patch but the download was so quick that i'm not sure if my game was patched at all... Now im trying to figure out was my game patched or not...

# 18 Qb @ 10/27/09 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksa83
God damn it, i've been playing over 100 games in BAP with 10 minutes rounds...no simming what so ever FOOOOOOOOOKK!

Then again does trade logic affect BAP? Oh well....what can you do?!
First, easy there brother. Please watch the substitute F-word stuff. Second, the patch notes didn't specify if the trade logic changes were for GM mode only, or if it applied to BAP as well.

# 19 jb1 @ 10/27/09 01:35 PM
I've played a few games and can notice an improvement in boardplay, the overall way the CPU plays defensively and in particular the way they defend the cross crease pass.

As a mainly offline player I was eager to test out the new trade logic, after simming a season and a bit into a new Be a GM career I'm not convinced the trade logic is that much better. I should point out I'm pretty new to hockey in general so I'm not sure whether some of these trades are logical or not.

I've seen Alexander Semin traded three times in just over a year, Selanne and Regehr twice. Anaheim traded Giguere for Colin Fraser of Chicago and then traded Getzlaf to Boston for Thomas. New Jersey acquired Jeff Carter + 2nd and 3rd round pick for Cody Sarich and Leblond

Again, I'm new to hockey but some of those seemed illogical to me.

I don't know what other work, if any has gone into Be a GM but the star players seemed to get more points, there were 7 over 100 with Malkin leading the way with 126 while Ovechkin scored 50 goals for his 98. There is still no love for Detroit though who finished 30th with 68 points!

Unfortunately, the Kane and Toews situation remains whereby they were released by Chicago and as of two games into the 2nd season they are still free agents.

# 20 BlueNGold @ 10/27/09 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
As a mainly offline player I was eager to test out the new trade logic, after simming a season and a bit into a new Be a GM career I'm not convinced the trade logic is that much better. I should point out I'm pretty new to hockey in general so I'm not sure whether some of these trades are logical or not.

I've seen Alexander Semin traded three times in just over a year, Selanne and Regehr twice. Anaheim traded Giguere for Colin Fraser of Chicago and then traded Getzlaf to Boston for Thomas. New Jersey acquired Jeff Carter + 2nd and 3rd round pick for Cody Sarich and Leblond

Unfortunately, the Kane and Toews situation remains whereby they were released by Chicago and as of two games into the 2nd season they are still free agents.

« Previous12345678910Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.