Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 patch is now available for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"Here are a couple of the key fixes that we've made in the Title Update:

Fixed the exploit to slap-shot a 5-hole goal from below the face-off circle.

* Although our goalies are much improved in NHL 10, there was an exploit when shooting from below the face-off circle that resulted in a goal more often than not. The goalies are now tuned to better handle shots from this area.

Increased speed of passes with Manual passing on.

* This year we added Hardcore Passing (manual passing) that gave you total control of your pass speed and direction. Overall, the new passing was well received but the consensus was that you should be able to pass the puck harder and that the bottom-end speed was too slow. We've increased the bottom-end speed so the passes are crisper and also increased the top-end slightly as well.

Reduced the ability to boardplay players who are far away from you.

* It was a little unrealistic being able to 'suck' a player into boardplay as he was skating away from you so we've made it much harder to pin a player that is skating away. The further he is from you, the less likely you'll be able to boardplay him.

Tuning of trade logic.

* Too many superstars were being offered up for trades so we've dialed this back along with reducing how often players are repeatedly offered up for trade.

Added the ability for a user to apply boost slots to authentic helmets.

* We've added the ability to apply boost slots to an authentic helmet so users can get the benefit of the boosts without having to wear a helmet with a design on it.

Here are some of the other main fixes that will be in the Title Update:

* Fixed the bug that would make a player sometimes exit pass blocking (L1/LT) when they got close to their goalie.
* Fixed the bug that would prevent offline Be a Pro player from getting ice-time in some situations.
* Fixed a crash that could happen on delayed penalty shots.
* Improved logic for how fighting affects teamplay scores in Be a Pro.
* Prevent L1/LT from allowing players to bypass stumble animations.
* Improvements to goalies to reduce 5-hole goals in some contexts.
* Tuned thresholds for injuries from hard shots.
* Added the ability to escape a prefight circle by pressing L2/LB.
* Fixed the bug that made it possible to "shoot" a puck slowly out of the one-handed animation such that nobody could pick it up.
* Improved goalie aggressiveness when poking the puck on cross-crease passes.
* Improved the ability of defencemen are able to do puck pickups behind them to help defend cross-crease passes.
* Reduced the ability to stuff the puck through the goalie by running into him without shooting (most common on wraparounds and reaching puck pickups).
* Reduced accidental interference in front of net.
* Fixed the offline Be a Pro line-change bug where the player is stuck at the bench.
* Prevent slap passes from being deflected at large angles.
* Fixed the bug where the goalie does not react to a shot if he's banging his stick on the ice to signal the end of a penalty.
* Fixed the bug that makes flip dumps to the middle of the offensive zone go over the glass frequently.
* Fixed the bug that makes CPU center win draws to the the same side all of the time.
* Fixed the bug in the stat tracking of passing.
* Prevent accidental saucer passes after receiving the puck while trying to poke check (because both actions are on R1/RT).
* Tuning to reduce occurrence of tripping penalties when the player being tripped is stationary or moving slowly.
* Tuning to game logic to make it a little easier to stay up on the NHL team during 4-game trial in BAP.
* Many other changes to improve our ability to refine the gameplay tuning with via tuner sets."

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Taku @ 10/27/09 06:14 PM
Are you guys from outside of North America by any chance, i just wonder is the problem with European versions of the game...

# 42 BleacherCreature @ 10/27/09 06:19 PM
CPU seems more aggressive offensively.
I hadn't given up more than 18 shots in a game prior to the patch, now in my first post-patch game I just gave up 36. And I also only took one penalty in the game so these weren't PP shots either.
Could be a conicidence but we will see...

# 43 jb1 @ 10/27/09 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1

As a mainly offline player I was eager to test out the new trade logic, after simming a season and a bit into a new Be a GM career I'm not convinced the trade logic is that much better. I should point out I'm pretty new to hockey in general so I'm not sure whether some of these trades are logical or not.

I've seen Alexander Semin traded three times in just over a year, Selanne and Regehr twice. Anaheim traded Giguere for Colin Fraser of Chicago and then traded Getzlaf to Boston for Thomas. New Jersey acquired Jeff Carter + 2nd and 3rd round pick for Cody Sarich and Leblond

Again, I'm new to hockey but some of those seemed illogical to me.

Unfortunately, the Kane and Toews situation remains whereby they were released by Chicago and as of two games into the 2nd season they are still free agents.
I've now simmed a few different seasons (slow evening here!) and also saved just before the re-signing of the free agents period and ran that through a few times. I'm still seeing some dodgy trades throughout the season but mainly at the draft and deadline. While free agency generally plays out differently each time. I.e I've had Kane and Toews both get resigned by Chicago, both get released and had one sign, one released. Once it goes to July 1st, again it plays out differently each time and sometimes big names will be left and sometimes they will get signed (Kane got signed twice by Nashville and left to sit in free agency twice).

There are clearly problems still there and it would be nice to get it fixed but too me it looks like a lot of work will need to be done and will probably be something we'll see listed an an NHL11 feature. It is possible to save after the draft and have it play out again and again until you are satisfied with it but clearly we shouldn't have to do that.

It's a shame as I think the gameplay is great and I do really like the gameplay changes in the patch but the problems with the franchise mode are very frustrating. It's frustrating me to the point where I'm thinking I may try out 2K10 to see what their franchise mode offers.

# 44 bosshog78 @ 10/27/09 07:10 PM
Strange.
I am showing version 1.02

Game loaded played then froze.

Re-started, this time, it asked for me to accept online rules.
Went online to hockey shop and like others have mentioned, there is still no option for the helmets to have boosts added.

Oh well, wonder what's going on. Maybe some info will be released as to what the deal is.

I have noticed that the goal from last year, the cheese fest wrap-around behind the net, is a fan favorite now. I didn't see any in 35 plus games online for my EASHL team. I played 2 games "POST PATCH" I've seen the other team try it 17 times and it go in 2x. The times that it didn't go in, we just had amazing defense otherwise , I am sure it would've went it.

I really hate that guys spend hours practicing glitch shots to use online against others. I mean really, it's a game. Just play hockey for real and have fun. Is it really necessary to cheat constantly?

If there any of you guys on here that do "glitch or money" goals, please explain to me your thought process as to why you do it? What does it make you feel like? Do you get excited to cheat?

I am sure the guys that "glitch goal", play rookie offline, lower the CPUs sliders to 0 and boost their sliders all the way up. It can't be fun.

Oh well, just my 2 cents...
Peace,
Boss

# 45 BleacherCreature @ 10/27/09 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
What level do you play on?
All-Star.
I just got outshot in my second post-patch game 38-29, so I'm beginning to think that's been fixed. Plus, as I said before, the CPU seems way more aggressive with the puck, and also defensively. I turned the puck over a lot in this last game. I did end up winning 3-1 so the CPU still isn't scoring much.
Good thing Lundqvist is my goalie.

# 46 plaidchuck @ 10/27/09 07:20 PM
It's good to know the shoddy D hasn't been fixed: (This was purely CPU vs. CPU, i was the other goalie in BAP)

Also, online vs. random people is a friggin joke. It's a one-timer fest. After playing 2k10 for a month waiting for this patch (in vain, it seems) I played some online games. After playing a few glitchers , i decided to fight fire with fire. It was ridiculous, I won a game 5-2, with my 12 shots to his 5. The other player was literally trying to cross-crease pass even when a player wasn't on the other side.

I can see playing online as fun in some private leagues, but other than that, it's a waste of server space...

# 47 Myloman @ 10/27/09 10:12 PM
Well the boosts slots on authentic equipment seems to be a lie, unless I'm completely missing something.

# 48 Dino @ 10/27/09 11:16 PM
Helmet is there for me on first page, 2nd row, in middle of helmets. Plugged that baby in as soon as i downloaded patch. Played one BAP team online game and i am loving the fixes!
Thank you EA for fixing that faceoff circle 5 hole goal.

# 49 DevilsEve666 @ 10/27/09 11:24 PM
Can someone please tell me what the heck the "passing stat tracking bug" is??

because to be honest since i play offline online, i may not want to download the patch...unless it screws w/ important stats in my franchise

# 50 Spear @ 10/27/09 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guigsdaddy
After the patch I played an exhibition gamr and there was mcdonalds ads everywhere. Started a newfranchise no ads to be seen anyone see this?
Just dynamic board ads. They were there before the patch too.

# 51 bosshog78 @ 10/27/09 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
Helmet is there for me on first page, 2nd row, in middle of helmets. Plugged that baby in as soon as i downloaded patch. Played one BAP team online game and i am loving the fixes!
Thank you EA for fixing that faceoff circle 5 hole goal.
Funny, you are the only one that is saying that. Do you have the XBOX 360 version?

If so, it may be a PS3 problem cause on other boards including EA's it has numerous players saying that the helmets aren't working.

# 52 gbx34 @ 10/27/09 11:59 PM
Played two game online.

Skating is still to easy. Could next if anything was touch.

Maybe easier to score goals also there were more rebounds.

# 53 SinisterAlex @ 10/28/09 12:30 AM
I absolutely love the boardplay! Pre-patch, I was always afraid to even skate near the boards because I always ended up pinned every time. Now post patch, I played a couple of games and I can actually skate near the boards and not get held up as much. Although, I still have those moments where I'm like "how the f did he do that?" but not as much as pre-patch.

I love the new way the CPU plays defence and offence. Cross crease goals are now very hard to come by and the slot is now very well protected. Sometimes I find the Defence can be a bit too aggressive, but its better than before. I love how the CPU finds alternate ways of gaining the zone. One user posted before that they don't always use the wing, which I find true. Although, when everything is covered I sometimes find the CPU struggling to gain my zone and never dump it >_>

EASHL and OTP are much more improved with the better passing and better CPU's (when you have them of course). I'd much rather have them now when I play goalie instead of humans, but thats just me.

As for the helmets, I've read on the EA forums that you need to unlock a 3 slot helmet to make the CCM helmet appear.... but I know this isn't true. Although unlocking the 3 slot helmets are easy as pie. The patch for me took 3 seconds to install, dunno if it installed properly but I'm sure it, my internet connection is really good.

I've also read alot of post lately on the EA forums reguarding the curve shot. Everyone says this is back. But how? The animation is now gone so how possibly could it be back? I haven't tried it yet, I'll do that tomorrow after school. Also is it just me, or a heck of alot of people doing the stupid wrap around goal tries lately.... -.- bothers me so much thats for sure.

But anyway thats my opinion on the patch.

# 54 DevilsEve666 @ 10/28/09 12:30 AM
It seems as though after the patch the CPU is more timid to take shots, but they score at a higher percentage...last game i played the scored 4 goals on 18 shots...in my previous 20 or so games before the patch the CPU never had less than 23 shots and when they did they never scored more that 2 goals

# 55 Vikes1 @ 10/28/09 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
All-Star.
I just got outshot in my second post-patch game 38-29, so I'm beginning to think that's been fixed. Plus, as I said before, the CPU seems way more aggressive with the puck, and also defensively. I turned the puck over a lot in this last game.
The Sabers post patch, out shot me by the same exact number...38-29. Once the cpu got going...wow, they were all over me. The patch seems to have made some nice changes.

Also...my pass percentage seems a bit higher now as well.

# 56 bukktown @ 10/28/09 01:21 AM
Online I haven't noticed anything different. I haven't even noticed the smaller pinning radius. Check that...just remembered that there seems to be a new forcefield around the goalies 5 hole when you shoot from in close.

# 57 JKidd10 @ 10/28/09 02:49 AM
Have the 360 version and i don't see the helmet.

# 58 plaidchuck @ 10/28/09 07:30 AM
Don't know where everyone is seeing the CPU out shoot them on all star, I am still outshootign them at around a 3:1 ratio... even on goalie BAP.. and this is with pass accuracy 0 for both teams and game speed and accel around 3/4..

CPU D seems utterly ridiculous especially on the PK... for example a right d-man will abandon his part of the box to go after a puck carrier on the left side and leave the right side of the net completely open... it would help if you could edit other teams strategies in all modes...

# 59 bosshog78 @ 10/28/09 08:19 AM
So, since I am not seeing the helmet, do you already have to have a 3 boost helmet to unlock the CCM V10 helmet?

I am using a 2 boost slot helmet and that may be the reason why, anybody have a clue?

Thanks for help..

# 60 Qb @ 10/28/09 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshog78
Funny, you are the only one that is saying that. Do you have the XBOX 360 version?

If so, it may be a PS3 problem cause on other boards including EA's it has numerous players saying that the helmets aren't working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshog78
So, since I am not seeing the helmet, do you already have to have a 3 boost helmet to unlock the CCM V10 helmet?

I am using a 2 boost slot helmet and that may be the reason why, anybody have a clue?

Thanks for help..
I checked for the 3-slot CCM helmet right after DLing the update. It was there and I was able to assign 3 boosts to it. My guy was wearing a 3-slot helmet w/ assigned boosts from before if that's a variable worth considering...

I then played one offline game and one online game against a friend. I think I just had one of those games offline, as I rolled NJ 6-1 and chased Marty in 2nd period. I was using the same All-Star sliders I was before on manual/hardcore. Guess I need to get some more games to see if it was just an anomaly or if they need some changes.

I LOVE the changes to manual passing. Now a long hold of the trigger gives you a good hard pass which I used to great effect on the breakout and passing laterally across the offensive zone. Very glad to see that we can still do a soft dish with a quick light press of the trigger.

Overall, I think they have manual passing speed balanced quite well and I'm going to raise CPU pass interceptions back to max. I had dropped it down to account for the slower passes when using manual and maxed when I used assisted power passing.

Board pinning seemed improved both against the AI and my human opponent. I completely whiffed on a few against the boards when I intentionally attempted to pin in the wrong situations. You can still really grind people along the boards with multiple pins (which is good in the right situation), but you need to have a bit more containment to initiate it. Probably still a little forgiving, but an improvement nonetheless.

Hard to comment on a lot of the other stuff after only two games. But I think I'll mess around with a GM or season mode now that the patch is out and I have fairly accurate rosters. Lan did a great job, but I haven't kept up with them since I grabbed them...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.